2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

REMIX CHALLENGE - RMXC001 January 2018 - Winner announced

recurrence: on occasion (if audio material is available)
Arthur Labus

Re: REMIX CHALLENGE - RMXC001 January 2018 - Submissions until 24-01-2018 11:59pm GMT+1/CET

Post by Arthur Labus »

Hello everybody !

Here's my submission.
WAV: https://drive.google.com/open?id=18iQwv ... UfK9r4x9Rn
MP3: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1hJf1p ... CQBGeCm3xN

Replaced drums with with programmed kit done with "SplitSticks" by Analogue Drums / Kontakt 5 and going for organic feel.
Used almost all loops and MIDI files.
MIDI are done with u-he Tyrell, UVI and FB-3300.
Different filters by Soundtoys Filterfreak on some tracks.
Kjaerhus Classic Filter on drums and Brauer Motion on hihats in quieter parts.

Have fun, thanks for the tracks and good luck everybody ;)

Arthur
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: REMIX CHALLENGE - RMXC001 January 2018 - in evaluation

Post by Mister Fox »

It is the 26th January 2018, 1:00am GMT+1/CET - this month's Remix Challenge has official ended

Thank you so much for your participation. Though sadly, the participation has been a bit underwhelming (to say the least) - I even waited one extra day on purpose. We only have 2 participants, which is not much. So chances are, that there will only be one definite winner in the end, even though the only two participants are heroes and winners in their own rights (for participating)

Please check your download links again, update your documentation if needed.
Then please have an eye on this thread! :tu:
Arthur Labus

Post by Arthur Labus »

Hi Mister Fox,

just realised that the submission should be named like that:

"RMXC000_-_ArtistName_-_TrackName.wav/mp3"

I see Wizzo and i used the "common" convention with "RMXC000_-_ArtistName_-_TrackName_-_ContestanttName.wav/mp3"

Should we change it ? What are the benfits of that convention ?
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

You did right - no worries.

Usually a remix is being named ArtistName_-_Trackname_(Remixer_Name).wav/mp3
I till address this with RMXC once we have more material...
Jorgeelalto
Song Provider
Song Provider

Post by Jorgeelalto »

Hi guys,

So two participants only, it will be an easy task to review the submissions this time :D First of all, thanks for participating! It's pretty interesting to listen to what other people can do with your own material and ideas.

Arthur Labus - The bad stuff first: the acoustic drum fills could have been humanized a bit more, and the structure of the track could also have been less similar to the original. On to the good stuff: it's a pretty interesting remix, combining those acoustic drums with the electronic sounds. You also give a lot of movement to the pads and changed the sound of some melodies with your own synths, and I liked that. In general it has a very good vibe.

Wazoo - Bad stuff: too similar to the original sometimes, and no variations of the provided material that I could hear. The good stuff: It sounds very good too, and you added some more sounds that honestly fit very well, I also like the added harmonies and sounds with the pads, like the EP (I think it's an EP) improvisation/solo in the parts without drums. The delay effect on the sine melody at the end of the track is also amazing, I love it!

It was honestly hard to choose between two submissions, also taking into account they are both very good and appealing to me, but since I have to choose:

1st - Wizoo
2nd - Arthur Labus

Thanks again for participating! It's the first time my music gets remixed and is really inspiring to listen to your tracks :grin:

Jorge - 7th Pyramid
Waleed Morris

Post by Waleed Morris »

Jorgeelalto wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 17:34 CET

Wazoo - Bad stuff: too similar to the original sometimes, and no variations of the provided material that I could hear. The good stuff: It sounds very good too, and you added some more sounds that honestly fit very well, I also like the added harmonies and sounds with the pads, like the EP (I think it's an EP) improvisation/solo in the parts without drums. The delay effect on the sine melody at the end of the track is also amazing, I love it!
Hi Jorgeelalto ,
Thank you for your review and feedback .i like what you did in some elements like kick so i simulation your idea in new materials some times!
just 2 things plz next time render the whole stems from 0 to end , this is a lot more faster and easer to anyone , show everything don't eliminate any tracks let the participants decided . anyway thank you for pick my track and i hope more submissions next time .
Last edited by Waleed Morris on Sun Jan 28, 2018 21:50 CET, edited 1 time in total.
Jorgeelalto
Song Provider
Song Provider

Post by Jorgeelalto »

Hi Wizzo,

the whole idea of not releasing the stems of the track like we would in the Mix Challenge is for the participants to be creative with the material :D You know, I could have certainly rendered the track as if it was MC material, but I thought it was nicer to remix if there were just some ideas and the participants created a new track around those, but thanks for the suggestion!

Jorge
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: REMIX CHALLENGE - RMXC001 January 2018 - Winner announced

Post by Mister Fox »

FIrst and foremost - thank you for the evaluation, Jorgeelalto - and congratulations to the winner.

"Wait... singular? As in only one winner? "

This challenge is a bit special, so please let me explain. I think we all expected participation in the usual 10s, just like with the Mix(ing) Challenge and the new Mastering Challenge. However, we sadly only have 2 entries - and the evaluation system is not "vote for each other", but "client vote" based.

I'd love to give out every participant a license. However at two participants only, this looks like giving out "participation medals", and not like a hard fought for challenge. So even though the following might create some backlash (which is ultimately neither the fault of the host or the client - we can't do more than promote this), there will only be one winner.

And that will be Wizoo.

:arrow: Additional to that - for the time being, there won't be a Remix Challenge, as we do not have enough content to work from. If you want to see a continuation of this game, then please reach out via the usual known channels.

Thanks for your understanding and reaching out.
Arthur Labus

Post by Arthur Labus »

Kudos Wizoo !

Love your remix, lot of great work is going on. Very tasty !

So i am the second or the last one ;) Not bad :)
I agree Mr. Fox - no "participation medals". Good move. We just need more people get involved.
I will do some serious promotion in my fav mixing community.
Maybe some more promotion for "new" competions would help - saying there are also mastering and remixing competions as well.

Thanks Jorgeelalto for the song.
Providing the samples and loops isn't that bad idea. However providing whole tracks, as Wizoo said, would be "better" for me.

Anyway - it seems there is a very specific kind of expectations what "have to be done" in remix competitions.

Looking forward to next competition as soon as possible !
Jorgeelalto
Song Provider
Song Provider

Post by Jorgeelalto »

Arthur Labus wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 22:02 CET
Kudos Wizoo !

Love your remix, lot of great work is going on. Very tasty !

So i am the second or the last one ;) Not bad :)
I agree Mr. Fox - no "participation medals". Good move. We just need more people get involved.
I will do some serious promotion in my fav mixing community.
Maybe some more promotion for "new" competions would help - saying there are also mastering and remixing competions as well.

Thanks Jorgeelalto for the song.
Providing the samples and loops isn't that bad idea. However providing whole tracks, as Wizoo said, would be "better" for me.

Anyway - it seems there is a very specific kind of expectations what "have to be done" in remix competitions.

Looking forward to next competition as soon as possible !
Hi Arthur,

Thanks again for participating. It seems that providing full tracks would be useful for you so I will consider it seriously for the next time thanks!

Jorge