2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

REMIX CHALLENGE - RMXC003 September 2019 - Winner announced

recurrence: on occasion (if audio material is available)
shroom feverish

Re: REMIX CHALLENGE - RMXC003 September 2019 - Submissions until 15-10-2018 11:59pm GMT+2/CEST

Post by shroom feverish »

Hei,

WAV
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1J9kFJ8 ... sp=sharing

MP3
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Fg4RRC ... sp=sharing

Plugins used:
Native Instrumments - Guitar Rig, KORE, Reaktor (kick/percussion track)
Camel Audio - Camel Space, Camel Phat
D16 Group - Toraverb, Decimort
Dmitry Sches - Tantra, DiversionCM
FabFilter - Saturn
Soundtoys - Effect Rack
Sugar Bytes - Looperator
Tone2 - Wartmverb
u-he - Protoverb
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: REMIX CHALLENGE - RMXC003 September 2019 - Submissions until 15-10-2018 11:59pm GMT+2/CEST

Post by Mister Fox »

A friendly reminder:
Including today, 7 days left to submit your production.

So far we have 2 entries. Help this game get more than 10 entries - the more participants, the better.
Please spread the word on Social Media.
Snarowitz

Post by Snarowitz »

As I said in the mix challenge for this song, I really like it. So I thought it would be fun to approach this remix as more of a production project. I left all original music in place (ish), spiced up the kick drum by sampling the existing kick and pasting in additional strikes to generate a more aggressive beat and build up. I added some strings during the intro, and created some support for the piano/base parts. Some bass transients were moved to better align with the groove of the song. I also created a counter melody for the piano (flute) and backing vocal parts (choir), that kind of support the main vocal, but still have an identity of their own. Last, I tracked some additional tonal nuance, and tucked it deep in the mix.

I took the slightly imperfect approach to timing that I thought fit best with the performance, rather than snapping everything to a grid, I tried to just play along with the song. As a fan of Ghost Limb, I tried to retain its unique attitude.

As far as the mix itself goes, I just continued building upon what I already had from MCXXX. Various compressors, EQs, saturation, delay, echo, and reverb modules were used as needed to create a smooth, warm canvas of balanced sound supporting the ghostly motif, while retaining a decent amount of dynamic range for the mastering engineer. Careful attention was paid to the stereo listening experience, so it’s not really mono compatible. Level, panning, and effect automation are present to keep the mix moving like a phantom, whilst providing the listener with little surprises along the way.

Enjoy,

SNarowitz

MP3 - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pOybFD ... sp=sharing

WAV - https://drive.google.com/file/d/16caBtm ... sp=sharing
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

Due to time constraints, I have to post the friendly reminder a couple of hours earlier than usual:
As of this moment, there are a bit more 28 hours or 1 day and 4 hours left to submit your production.

So far we have 3 entries.
If you've been sitting on the fence so far, now is the time to submit your remixes
Olli H

Post by Olli H »

This one was fun to do.

As this is words-driven song I didn’t try to change the structure of the song. Well, also the fact that the song was not in any tempo grid influenced my decision.

I tried to recreate the original underlying musical idea with fuller instumentation. So, even though my version is quite different than the original, still I think that these musical ideas came ot of the source material.

From original material I used
- vox
- acoustic guitar
- piano
- tambourine

I added
- Drums (Drumcore)
- Bass (Trilian)
- Electric guitar
- Piano (Kontakt Mavericks)
- Organ (DB-33)
- Cello and Viola (Kontakt)

MP3: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1bWnHP ... Ch1gcub7GR

WAV: https://drive.google.com/open?id=14bf48 ... ZaXP-Eeq5v
SeanieLloyd

Post by SeanieLloyd »

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1VTzcB2 ... sp=sharing

Hi, here's the link to my REMIX of Ghost Limb by BATBI!

ALL the animals were harmed in the production of this track.

Not mastered - lots of headroom so feel free to crank it up.

To my ears the song had such potential 'epic-ness' to it, I chose to go down an orchestration/soundtrack route and try and make it as BIG as I could.
I decided to go full-tilt/no mercy with the timing. Dividing every hit etc and nailing to the grid. No copy/pasting though, so the part remains exactly 'as played' but now with a rigid tempo of 90BPM. Took ages, but though it was a worthwhile route to go down.
As I was adding alot of orchestration using samples etc, having everything set to a rigid time made more sense too. Makes programming and creating those parts SO much easier.

Added some choppy 'Col Legno' style parts. I haven't got any good sample libraries, so I've created my own here by recording normal 'long' type string parts, and then chopping them up. Takes ages but sounds more interesting than the regular long sustained notes. Also drives the song along. It is a slow tempo, so adding the double-time strings gives it a bit of movement.
Added 2 cello's, 2 Basses, 2 single (different) violins. It's kind of a Frankenstein sextet.

Processing then, breifly:
Vocals - 'Ghost Limb' sounded like a great excuse to use the reverse reverb trick, so did this on the second verse. Totally OTT!
Multi-band compressed (Waves C6) some mids to try for a smoother vocal tone. Added a loop of the word 'limb' as it's own little part.
Put the Falsetto vocals on a different track and EQ'd those slightly differently, took a bit more of the 'edge' off them at about 5k.

Drums - kept all original drum parts. No samples. Waves SSL 4000 Channel strip for EQ and Compression on each drum track.

KICK - didn't use the Kick Sample provided, and thought it was a well recorded 'Real Kick'. The example mix had quite a clicky heavy-metal sound to it, but I went for a fatter, chunkier job. Big boost at 84hz followed by a big scoop at 200hz.
Snare: Used more of the C1000 mic than the top one in the end. The overheads picked up enough of the top I reckon.
I couldn't quite eq the original overhead/cymbal part enough to make the parts jump out that I wanted though, so I did overdub in a few places using my own Splashes and a China/Trash.
Added chimes and a reverse cymbal too. I have no shame.
Drum Bus: SSL COMP 'Glue' about 4db.

Bass guitar (DI Only): Studio Devil Bass Amp Pro. 8x10 cab, added a fair bit of drive and high-mids.
Sidechaining: Dipped the bass guitar about 4db with the kick drum.

Acoustic Guitar: Only used 2 of the provided tracks. Notched out some of the harsher frequencies - around 3k, panned the LDC left a bit and SDC right a bit. Reverb.

Piano: Nice piano part. Such a great hook. Added a reverse piano note and about 4 tonnes of plate reverb.

Mirrored the piano part with Mellotron strings and removed the acoustic guitar on the 2nd verse. Sounds creepy and I like it.
Also makes the 'nice' jangly middle-8 seem like a huge relief when it comes in.
Stuck a solo horn part on the middle 8 too.

Put a couple of little 'breaks' in for tension in a couple of obvious places.

Bus FX:
TC Electronic M30 for more subtle 'Hall' glue on most tracks.
Lexicon MPX for massive 'Plate' effect reverb.
Soundtoys Echoboy for slight 'slapback' style delay on vocals in places.
Nothing on the master bus.
SONAR X3e Channel Strip with S-Type Console Emulation on each channel.

Look forward to hearing any comments and listening to everyone elses takes on this track. Thanks to Christopher Wilson for recording and sharing and Balaban And The Bald Illegles for writing the epic song!
Excuse my spelling. English IS my first language, I'm just thick.
Sean
Last edited by SeanieLloyd on Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:33 CEST, edited 1 time in total.
Morganix

Post by Morganix »

Ghost Limb - Morganix Remix

Here is another contribution:

RMXC003__BATBI__Ghost_Limb__Morganix.mp3 – 320 kbps:

http://www.morganix.no/Remix/RMXC003__B ... rganix.mp3

RMXC003__BATBI__Ghost_Limb__Morganix.wav – 48 Khz 24bit:

http://www.morganix.no/Remix/RMXC003__B ... rganix.wav

Tempo: 185.500 BPM. Everything aligned to tempo-grid. Some chords are changed.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: REMIX CHALLENGE - RMXC003 September 2019 - in evaluation

Post by Mister Fox »

It is the 16th October, 6:00am GMT+2/CEST - this month's Remix Challenge has official ended

Thank you so much for your participation. And welcome to all new faces to the community.

We had 6 participants overall, which is 5 entries more compared to the last challenge (1 entry).
"Sole Winners Podium" rule (equal or less than seven participants results in a single winner) does apply. (1-position Winners Podium)

Please check your download links again, and please update your documentation.
Please have an eye on this thread! :tu:
Chriswilson83

Post by Chriswilson83 »

I will try my best to listen to the tracks today, might be the weekend though if not 🙂
Chriswilson83

Post by Chriswilson83 »

Hi all,

I have indeed listened to all the tracks this morning. It’s nice to see how the track has been completely reworked in some cases with some real cool ideas. Ultimately though, as Mr. Fox said there can only be one winner and that is going to be SeanieLloyd. I’ve attached feedback for all tracks below.

Thank you again very much for taking part in the contest.
Chris

1, jpachoulli - I liked the feel and the intro but didn’t think it had changed too much from the original files in the end. Some of the bass synth notes and vocal delays threw me out too with the delay timings not in time with the track or choice of note.

2, shroom_feverish – I like it, the most distinctly different version from all the others but I’m not sure if the chosen style was appropriate to the song content.

3, SNarowitz – Fitted with my desired style :-) . Compared to Olli H and SeanieLloyds it just didn’t have as many “remixed” musical ideas in it. The choir at the end of the piece is playing some incorrect notes too….

4, Olli H – Again fitting with my desired style. I liked the choices made in the piece and it was ultimately a decision between this and SeanieLloyds. The piano notes you've added don’t quite sound right in the first verse?

5, SeanieLloyd – Again in the desired style. I really liked this and it was hard to fault it. Loads of remixed ideas and the vocal delays (correctly timed)/reverse reverbs really brought the melody out and the piece to life.

6, Morganix – I like how you’ve made pretty much the entire backing again (only keeping piano/vocal, and a little guitar/bass in the middle) but some of the vocal lines aren’t time with the music.