2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC049 September 2021 - Winners announced

Thematic Songwriting Competition - recurrence: monthly
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC049 September 2021 - Submissions until 24-09-2021 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Mister Fox »

GMoneh wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 06:33 CEST
Bon Voyage, Mon Amie

I'm one of those who, whenever I even participate, I submit my entry at the very last minute. So I'm surprised this time I have mine so early, and I look forward to take advantage of the contest feedback mechanics.

Since nobody (sadly) has given you any feedback on your production, let me break the ice in hope you see this in time, and might even continue working further on your song. Since you already participated in the Songwriting Competition, you also know the general concept of the bonus point mechanic. Just something to look out for - especially the name of your files.

Production wise:

I'd definitely take a closer look at "Addictive Drums". The over-compressed sound (that's one of the presets) is a bit too intense for this type of production. Maybe use a different, more pop-oriented drum set. One where the kick feels/sounds more round, the snare having a better "ring", and toms not feeling too choked off. Also, the "side-stick" is a bit battling with the main snare. Maybe replace that groove with bongos or similar? That alone should change the tone of your production significantly, feel more "rounded out" rather than mid-field heavy.

The guitar is well recorded, albeit a bit thin (filter wise). As of this moment, it does have a 1960s "Surfer Guitar" type sound. Since it's (along with the piano) the most prominent instrument in this production, maybe slightly adjust the tone a bit. However, this is a matter of taste. The staccato piano sections a bit too string, IMO. Brass is also a bit "in your face", but if you're after that 1980s musical feeling, also a matter of taste. I kind of miss the "Analog String" sounds... at least on small speakers.

Overall, very good start. You're already a winner in my book, since you've participated (and use music to not only tell a story). Maybe this small bit of feedback helps.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC049 September 2021 - Submissions until 24-09-2021 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Mister Fox »

A friendly reminder:
Including today, 7 days left to submit your production

If you want to access the extended game mechanics of the Songwriting Competition (asking for feedback during production), please try to release your first edits within the next 3 days to have enough time to get possible feedback (if needed/wanted) and continue to work on your song.
TrojakEW

Post by TrojakEW »

Here is my submission. As always it is final version. Will not touch it anymore.

Goal was to put some emotion in track without being too sad. Kind of funeral anthem that tells you more about life instead of death. Simple and basic piano chords with melody accompanied with VSCO Pro percussions in intro. Second part is 8Dio Anthology strings in back instead of piano with additional custom ensemble made from Agitato Violas Legato+Fidule legato from ERA II+Celtia vocal legato from ERA vocal codex. Even all thre are playing same melody pattern, there are some additional modulation for all three instruments regarding dynamics especially legato voice that I want to be more present only in some parts. Then there is a transition part again with piano with some phrases from Ethera EVI. Last part is again piano with legato ensemble but the Celtia vocal legato is playing very gentle, almost inaudible in this part. Wanted to make track sounds bit "epic".

Made using FL Studio 20.6
Instruments used:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1x 8Dio Anthology Strings, 1x 8Dio Agitato Grandiose Violas, 2xNI Noire, 1x Eduardo Tarilonte's ERA II Vocal Codex, 1x Eduardo Tarilonte's ERA II Medieval Legends, 1x Versilian Chamber Orchestra Pro, 1x NI Sypmhony Series Percussion, 1x Output Substance, 1x Heavyocity Gravity Pack 1, 1x Heavyocity Damage 2, 1x Ethera EVI
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Used Effects:

8x Izotope Neutron 3 Equalizer, 1x Izotope Ozone 9, 1x Izotope Tonal Balance 2, 1x Izotope Insight 2, 1x Noveltech Character, 9x zOne.sk Arx One, 1x Fruity Peak Controller, 2x Pro Audio DSM V3, 1x bx refinement, 1x Melda MBassador
Statistics:
Max momentary loudness -8.5 LUFS
Max short-tem loudness -10.9 LUFS
Integrated loudness -14.4 LUFS
Loudness range 6.7 LU
True peak L -1.10dB
True peak R -1.10dB
EsteveCorbera

Post by EsteveCorbera »

Mister Fox and fellow challengers,
This month I was very motivated by the issue raised by Mr. Fox, the issue of loss and mental state. It has been a motivating challenge. So I present to you what I’ve done, but I put some context into it. When I feel a little off or have lost motivation I feel great listening to music. I've always had him by my side. At home, during working hours, in the car, etc. Listening to music has always given me strength.
This month I wanted to make some music that would help me get out of the mood. Help me find it. I wanted to make a sound similar to my favorite composer (with a lot of respect), because with his music I’ve always found the light.
Let's see what you think. Thank you for your comments.

Equipment:
DAW:
Reason 12

Instruments:
Subtractor Polyphonic Synthesizer
NN-XT Advanced Sampler
Thor Polysonic Synthesizer

Rack Extensions:
DNA Labs Software Glacius X Hybrid Wave Synthesizer

Effects:
RV7000 MkII Advanced Reverb
MClass Compressor
MClass Equalizer
MClass Maximizer
MClass Stereo Imager
DDL-1 Digital Delay
ECF-42 Envelope Controlled Filter
UN-16 Unison
PH-90 Phaser
PEQ-2 Two Band Parametric EQ
Scream 4 Sound Destruction Unit

Utilities:
Combinator
MicroMIX
Spider CV Merger & Splitter

Other Instruments out of Reason:
AIR Music Tech Loom 2
KONTAKT Rigid Audio Pad Therapy

Other effects outside of Reason:
Native Instruments RAUM
WAProduction Outlaw
AlexHilton A1StereoControl

Other tools:
iZotope Ozone 9
Plugin Alliance SPL HawEye
iZotope Tonal Balance Control 2
Arx One ;)

(translated with google)
Last edited by EsteveCorbera on Wed Sep 22, 2021 00:33 CEST, edited 1 time in total.
TrojakEW

Post by TrojakEW »

EsteveCorbera wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 22:57 CEST
Let's see what you think. Thank you for your comments.
So first the mood is very nice and chill. Ambient pads are nice but I would like to hear more regarding theme and melody. So you should add some more story to this ambient track. It is now more like background or rather said canvas prepared to be painted with some content.

Now, track sound bit harsh but also muddy. There is a lot of phasing issues. See this picture regarding tonal balance, but look also at this red sea in ozone imager.

So I did very quick adjustment to your track trying to "fix" this issue. It is far from perfect but here is the result previewing on image. I just adjusted stereo image using my plugin Arx One. I just then used neutron EQ to balance the result. In image you can see how it was adjusted. Almost all bands except 5 and 6 are dynamic, with different threshold. I was trying to reduce peaks and harshness around 3kHz, 1kHz and 500Hz. Then I boosted frequencies 4kHz and up to add more air. I also did boost some low frequencies around 300 and 100Hz. You can see the result on tonal balance on image and look also on ozone imager, there is no red now.

I have rendered adjusted result to soundcloud. I was also trying to match your loudness. You can listen and download the adjust track here. It is private link once you download it let me know and I will remove it.
https://soundcloud.com/trojakew/swc049- ... HYDBdDB986
fjansenson

Post by fjansenson »

Hi Everyone!!!
My name is Fer Jansenson, I´m from Argentina, and living in Mexico.
This is a new Beautiful world for me, I´m just starting with DAWs, Samples, Effects, etc… but I love It!!
About this contest, It is GREAT to be in contact with such a variety of musicians, composers, humans…

My composition name is “Brotes” (Sprouts in English) is about humans and this tricky mental life, wich makes me feel lost and meaningless at times.
So a few reflections and questions are expressed in the song.
It was originally created in Spanish so I will be sending it in original audio.
Here the translation:

“Small and insignificant buds in this wonderful existence. As they sprout, they wither. What do we believe when we create. We destroy to build. We are leaving…we never were”

I´m not a singer so I just talk as a way to communicate what I´m feeling.

DAW:
Recorded, mix and mastered in Logic Pro X

Instruments:
Charango: Quispe Torres Charango from Bolivia.
Drums: Introduction, a Shamanic Drum. During the song, Trap Door, Epic Electro and Steely Beats from Drum Machine Logic Pro X.
Piano: Yamaha Grand Piano from Logic Pro X Library.
Guitar: Fender Telecaster with Vintage Noiseless pickups.
Bass: Upright Ballad Bass from Logic Pro X Library.

Effects:
Reverb
Compressor
Noise Gate
PedalBoard
Stereo Delay
All from Logic Pro X
Last edited by fjansenson on Thu Sep 23, 2021 07:01 CEST, edited 2 times in total.
Johnny_Fingers

Post by Johnny_Fingers »

Hi Mr Fox and all,

I'm posting this entry a few days early to make sure everything works. If I get feedback I still have time to make any changes.

The song is on SoundCloud and I think you can download the wav file. I tried making a private version on SoundCloud but your app didn't like it, so this is a public version. I hope this is the right way to make it available!

Ocean Full of Sand
by John M. Henderson

I wrote this song to mourn the loss of years of precious life and life experience to the pandemic, and the loss of my oldest friend this past summer. It has been a difficult year for everyone I think.

DAW Logic Pro X

LUFS
Integrated: 14.1
Peak left and right 1.0

All instruments: John Henderson
Main Guitars: Fender Strat and PRS Custom 24
Lead Guitar: Gibson Les Paul
Male Vocals: John Henderson
Female Vocals: Fernanda Ferreira (my partner)
EsteveCorbera

Post by EsteveCorbera »

I updated my track
TrojakEW wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 18:32 CEST
Now, track sound bit harsh but also muddy. There is a lot of phasing issues. See this picture regarding tonal balance, but look also at this red sea in ozone imager.
Thank you so much for the feedback.
I have tried to follow your recommendations on a technical level. I haven’t modified the composition, because I already like how it’s done.
I used your plugin to solve most phase problems.
I have also made changes to the equalizer I apply to the mastering stage, within the Ozone. I can't use the Neutron Dynamic Equalizer, because I only have the Neutron Elements version.

Thank you again.
Moltes gràcies company!!
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

Short info for @fjansenson

If you want to turn SoundCloud into a player, use the "SoundCloud Icon" in the WYSIWYG editor, not the Play Button Icon. Like so..

fjansenson wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 19:26 CEST
If I go and edit your post, you can't edit it anymore with an update later (forum engine issue). Hence me posting that info for you.

Also... your file is not downloadable yet.
fjansenson

Post by fjansenson »

Thanks Mister Fox!!! You are amazing and very Kind!!!!
My composition is active and competing?? Do I have to change something or is done by you??