2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC057 May 2022 - Winners announced

Thematic Songwriting Competition - recurrence: monthly
EsteveCorbera

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC057 May 2022 - Submissions until 24-05-2022 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by EsteveCorbera »

Thanks for the comments
I get to work
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC057 May 2022 - Submissions until 24-05-2022 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Mister Fox »

A friendly reminder:
Including today, 7 days left to submit your production

If you want to access the extended game mechanics of the Songwriting Competition (asking for feedback during production), please try to release your first edits within the next 3 days to have enough time to get possible feedback (if needed/wanted) and continue to work on your song.

And to those sitting on the fence - please don't feel scared off and think "the bar is set too high, I will never make it" - maybe set yourself a private, was shorter deadline. Just make music, submit your entry, join the conversation. See where this goes. By joining, you're already a winner. The rest is bonus. :tu:
EsteveCorbera

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC057 May 2022 - Submissions until 24-05-2022 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by EsteveCorbera »

Good morning,
I have updated my song.
I’ve added a bit of reverberation, but I haven’t changed the sounds, because I like them and I think they are the ones I need for what I want to convey.
And, yes @Koekepan , the final distortion of the synths is delivered.
This time I wanted to use DAW automation to modify sounds (filters and distortion)
Thank you for your contributions
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC057 May 2022 - Submissions until 24-05-2022 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Mister Fox »

A friendly reminder:
Including today, 7 days left to submit your production

Now is the perfect time to submit your production and ask for feedback. :phones:
EsteveCorbera

Post by EsteveCorbera »

Challenge mates and Mister Fox, Good afternoon !!
I present my topic for this month's challenge.
This time I came up with a topic with more energy. I built the theme on a rhythmic basis. Adding a bass, arpeggiated notes, background chords and a melody.
I tried to use modular synthesizers, but I started from presets that I then modified a bit.
I also wanted to add interest to the topic using automated filters. And a distortion, also automated, in the final part to one of the synthesizers

I hope you like it more this time

Thanks mates.

Extra comment: I want to dedicate this topic, all my previous topics and all my future topics to Vangelis. His music has always been with me. I will miss him.

(translated with google)

Equipment:
DAW:
Reason 12

Instruments:
DR.OctoRex
Grain Sample Manipulator
Monotone Bass Synthesizer
Complex-1 Modular Synthesizer
Europa Shapeshifting Synthesizer

Other instruments outside of Reason:
Arturia Modular V3
UJAM VB-Royal

Effects:
RV7000 MkII Advanced Reverb
MClass Compressor
BASSGRID Filter X1

Utilities:
Spider Audio Merger & Splitter

Players:
Scales & Chords

Other effects outside of Reason:
Arturia Bus Force
Arturia Comp TUBE-STA
Plugin Alliance Black Box Analog Design HG-2MS
BabyAudio SmoothOperator

Other tools:
iZotope Ozone 9
Plugin Alliance ADPTR AUDIO Metric AB
Plugin Alliance SPL HawEye
Koekepan

Post by Koekepan »

My entry: https://files.catbox.moe/umf8cw.zip

I wanted to cross between a couple of core elements of the synth tradition, hinting at elements of early Tangerine Dream, Vangelis (rest in peace) and Klaus Schulze (obviously once of Tangerine Dream, but a substantial influence in his own right) and their connection with the cosmic and psychedelic scene in general.

All my work was done in the Akai Professional Force, besides the final conversion and upload. All effects, all synths and all sequencing are internal to the Force. I used a simple Behringer dynamic microphone to provide the vocal elements, which I again affected by use of the Force. Two tracks of live play were done by using my Kross as an external keyboard and layering them in the Force's arranger mode. Rendering done by the Force. Final trim and level set were just Audacity before zip and upload.

Details:

The arp was the Force's Odyssey plugin.
The strings were the Force's Solina plugin.
The metallic ostinato was the Force's Hype plugin.
The more distorted melodic line was the Force's Tubesynth plugin.
The bass was the Force's Bassline plugin.
The cleaner melodic line was the Force's Hype plugin.
The metallic, zippy background stings were the Force's Tubesynth plugin.

For the outro I had every track except the bass routed to a submix with a big reverb, and just automated dry/wet up from completely dry, to completely wet.

Nothing too big, really, just a sort of an intro to a guided meditation session.
VCA-089

Post by VCA-089 »

FLAC: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mAqHBg ... sp=sharing
MP3: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1O4U1sA ... sp=sharing

This is my little tribute to the early modular electronic music era and to the musicians who are passing. I would like to work a little bit more and add more sounds, but my computer resources are limited in my current setup. It's a kinda personal challenge to create something valuable while being limited in possible material.

Instruments and techniques:

I used Cherry Audio's software instrumets for all sounds.

1. Voltage Modular is a virtual modular environment that used to create four sounds. There is a different arrangement of modules for each sound. The explanatation of all modules's functions will take the whole page, so I will briefly describe every patch:
- The main bass sequence using modules that emulate MS-20 behaviour, with two sequencers for pitch and filter;
- The intro pad created with additive oscillator module. There are several LFOs modulating it's "partials" amplitude and panning through console mixer module. It's than passed through phaser and reverb effect modules. It appears again in the outro with pitch modulation white noise;
- The "chimes" patch is created with sample & hold module, fed with a signal from a "morphing" LFO. The clock source for S&H is a sequecer with different voltage values for every step, creating random timing;
- The vocoder speech patch in the outro, created with several oscillators (tuned to C7 chord) and a bandpass filter as a modulator signal.
2. Polymode is used for two sounds:
- A classic string pad with ensemble and phaser effects;
- A brass lead.
3. Surrealistic MG-1 is used for two sounds:
- A flute like lead. It also plays a noisy modulated random sequence in the outro.
- A white noise with filter automation.
4. Audio Thing "Outer Space" used as a main echo send.
5. All sounds are processed with Wavesfactory "Cassette" to give a vintage worn out tape feel.

Technical details:
► Show Spoiler
phpBB [media]
Koekepan

Post by Koekepan »

VCA-089/Infravolt:

Love your work. Really reminds me of Oasis-era Tangerine Dream. It's Berlin School, in a virtual modular. Very well done, no real complaints. The mix is solid, the use of effects is tastefully restrained within the context of the style that you're attempting to deliver.

That's a result.
becsei_gyorgy

Post by becsei_gyorgy »

Hi

Just a year ago there was such a similar electronic competition and since the electronic song a year ago, I haven’t really dealt with a similar style, now I’m trying to relive the memories of that time. :smile:
Now I mainly used Arturia Mini V3 and Diva synthesizers.

Again, I tried to update my knowledge of the genre with tutorials. And I looked at the song experimentally.
That's why, for example, there are plethora of attempts at various saturator plugins. (I know it's not healthy to use that much in a project, but I didn't feel like replacing them in the end.)

The mix is a little dark I think and I know there’s still a lot to do with it, but time has passed again.

phpBB [media]

► Show Spoiler
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

A friendly reminder:
We're in the final 24 hours to submit your production.

Please get your production ready and submitted (through the forum) today. :phones:
And to make it easier for me to create the collection post, please update your initial post with the appropriate links. Thank you.