2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - What theme / genre would you like to see next?

Thematic Songwriting Competition - recurrence: monthly
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - What theme / genre would you like to see next?

Post by Mister Fox »

In the last couple of months, the staff decided on a theme and genre for the Songwriting Competition.

Even though there is always the mention to "post your theme/genre ideas in the Gossip Thread", I think this is a bit buried in the length of the introduction posts. Which is exactly why this post exists.

:idea: If you have an idea for a future Songwriting Competition, like a theme and/or a genre, then please post that in here.

But fear not - should there be no request and/or suggestion/idea by the 26th of the month (exception: for February until 24th), there is a fallback solution in place.

(note: since this thread has been created on short notice, the theme/genre can be filed until 29th July 2018)

Please discuss :tu:
ollyaudio

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - What theme / genre would you like to see next?

Post by ollyaudio »

I want to share an idea. Someone will provide a melody for the contest. Pianoforte, violin, flute .... It can be a short solo part or a long song. Contestants must write music. The soldering part can be cut, but it should sound completely in the track at least once.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

Interesting idea - might pick up on something along those lines in a future challenge.

I'd love to see something a bit more uplifting in October 2018 - any ideas?
Leonard Bowman

Post by Leonard Bowman »

I mentioned this in the SWC 018 thread, but I think that ballroom dance could make a solid theme. For International ballroom, there are 10 styles, and each has a particular music attached to it. If you want something more specific, the styles are split into 5 "standard" dances and 5 "latin" dances. If you want something even more varied, there's American Ballroom which adds a few other styles... I'll spare the details, unless of course you want more information on the topic.
As a theme, it would allow a wide variety of submissions, while still maintaining a core concept.

Just a suggestion.
The Exponent

Post by The Exponent »

I suggest an 80s TV/Movie Soundtrack.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

A similar thing might actually happen... soon-ish. That's all I can say for the time being.
The Exponent

Post by The Exponent »

Or how about EDM as the theme. It will push a LOT of people outside of their comfort zone and since it is a very diverse genre we might see a lot of participation for this perhaps.

Please ignore if this suggestion sounds blasphemous :D
Richard Watashi

Post by Richard Watashi »

I am A LOT for tv series main theme song.

Less for EDM, but still, it would be also ok
UprightJoe

Post by UprightJoe »

I also like the TV theme song idea.
The Exponent

Post by The Exponent »

Across multiple groups/forums, I know and interact with folks who produce or rather want to produce "EDM". So if that is ever a genre/theme, I can personally try and get more participants for sure.

Also, whatever the theme be, I think it should be accessible to a larger audience to gain traction. Once we start to get consistent numbers and regulars, we could try and explore abstract/unconventional themes/genres.

Just my thoughts. :)