2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC025 September 2019 - Winners announced

Thematic Songwriting Competition - recurrence: monthly
Richard Watashi

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC025 September 2019 - Submissions until 24-09-2019 11:59pm GMT+2/CEST

Post by Richard Watashi »

i completely revisited it:

now it's up to mister Fox - if my entry is going to count, or not.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC025 September 2019 - Submissions until 24-09-2019 11:59pm GMT+2/CEST

Post by Mister Fox »

A friendly reminder:
Including today, 14 days left to submit your production.

@JILLIAM:
I was about to overlook that you didn't contact me (PM) and ask for permission for a re-submission (your second link is now also down). But you're on this community since February 2019 - you're aware of the official Rules and Guidelines.

I'm now disqualifying you for SWC025 for disobeying the rules.
Sorry about that - see you during SWC026.
TrojakEW

Post by TrojakEW »

NateWycoff wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 05:56 CEST
Here's my submission for this competition.
https://soundcloud.com/user-953133942/08-fake-it
Hi there. Track is nice but, sorry that I have to tell you this but looks like you didn't read the rules. You by yourself confirmed release date (31 May 2018).One of the rules is

"Your entry must be composed / finished specifically for this contest (or, if a new/revised version from an old production of yours, then arranged/recorded specifically for this contest). Your production could have started weeks ago already - as long as it's finished/presented for the Songwriting Competition in question first"

Just make something new just for this compoetetion. Looks like you got skills to do that. Also it will be good to tell us more information about used instruments.

I just started making track yesterday. So will join this round too.
] Peter:H [

Post by ] Peter:H [ »

Deleted because of rulez violation.
Last edited by ] Peter:H [ on Tue Sep 17, 2019 17:21 CEST, edited 1 time in total.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

NateWycoff wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 05:56 CEST
Here's my submission for this competition.
Welcome to the SWC, Nate. Please get acquainted with the Rules and Guidelines. Especially the following paragrapth.
Rules and Guidelines] [b]Rule set for participants[/b] [list][*]... [*]Your entry must be composed / finished specifically for this contest (or, if a new/revised version from an old production of yours, then arranged/recorded specifically for this contest). Your production could have started weeks ago already - as long as it's finished/presented for the Songwriting Competition in question first [*]...[/list] [/quote] Sadly, your entry won't be part of the main entries (therefore no votes). Since the SWC is all about making music though, we can consider this production as bonus entry. Does that sound okay to you? :phones: [quote= wrote: Peter:H [" post_id=6114 time=1568657891 user_id=378]
Preview - Not a Submission:

Final submission with details will follow in a few days.
The same for you as well, Peter. Please get acquainted with the Rules and Guidelines. Most notably with the following paragraphs
Rules and Guidelines wrote: Rule set for participants
  • Minor edits to your submission are allowed, but this is not a WIP forum. Your entry is final!
We do have a WIP thread for this particular purpose. I do not want to disqualify another entry, if possible.

While we're at it - a friendly reminder:
Including today, 8 days to submit your production.
DoctorBob

Post by DoctorBob »

OK. Here's my submission to the contest.

Calming the Inner Turmoil

All sounds extracted from Magix Music Maker soundpools (all paid for content).

Mixed and mastered with Reaper.
53 tracks in total.

*** Edit to add Information ***
FX used

Tracks:
VComp Stereo
Valhalla Shimmer
Valhalla Room
Twin Delay
ReaEQ
Oril River
LFX-1310

Master:
VEQ4 Stereo
Ferric TDS
Voxengo MSED
L3 UltraMaximizer

Metering:
SPAN
Youlean Loudness Meter 2 (free)
TT DR Offline Meter 1.1

Integrated LUFS: -17.1
DR: 12

This is how I envisage the interpretation of the track as it progresses. You may of course and will interpret it quite differently!

First we explore a few sounds which conflict the mind. We attempt to resolve how we feel. We seem to be getting there and start to get some inner calm. Our inner voice is talking to us ... but ... the inner conflict rears its head again and our head hurts ... but, we finally get ourselves to a good place and hear voices which tell us we are getting there ("Let yourself go") ... some urgency is experienced and you hope this is only temporary and start to call out, but the sounds and chords finally lead us to believe we have arrived at an inner calm and find ourselves calmed by a lovely guitar and the last voice ("Feel the Sun") confirms we have arrived and all is and will be well.

dB

Hear the track here (with Soundcloud re-processing)

Wav file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ovblrf7bvzx40 ... I.wav?dl=1

320k mp3: https://www.dropbox.com/s/qmvbcqnz9pnqv ... I.mp3?dl=0
Last edited by DoctorBob on Sat Sep 21, 2019 18:34 CEST, edited 1 time in total.
TrojakEW

Post by TrojakEW »

My submission. Attempt to make something more "commercial" or rather said radio friendly but still different. Even I was going for kind of trap tune I didn't want to compress sounds like it is used in this style. I never liked sausage mix. :P

FL Studio 20.0.5

List of Kontakt libraries used:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
4x 8Dio Hybrid Tools Neo
1x 8Dio Francesca
1x 8Dio Trap
1x Output Signal
1x NI Grandeur
1x NI Symphony Series String Ensemble
1x NI Kinetic Metal

Effects used:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1x Izotope Insight 2
1x Izotope Ozone 8 Advanced
2x Izotope Neutron 3 Advanced
1x Izotope Neutron 3 Exciter
1x Izotope Nectar 3
1x Izotope Stutter Edit
1x Imageline Maximus
1x Imageline Fruity Multiband Compressor
1x Imageline Fruity Peak Controller
1x VSTzOne Amplio
1x Noveltech Vocal Enhancer
1x Unfiltered Audio SpecOps

Track statistics:
Max momentary loudness -8,8 LUFS
Max short term loudness -11,4 LUFS
Integrated loudness -14,0 LUFS
Loudness range 12,1 LU
True peak L -1,15db
True peak R -1,16db
DC offset L +0%
DC offset R +0%
gruskada

Post by gruskada »

Hi,
I'm new here. Below is my entry - "Deprecated". It is mostly about my recent experience caring for family members in home hospice, but I also had a number of friends and family who have passed away on my mind as well. The thoughts just came to me while I was jamming over some chords to relieve some stress. I took the better ideas from that session, and added a bit of structure to finish the song up.

Almost all of my songs are computer-related terms (I'm a web developer in real life). The term "deprecated" is used to describe a function/feature/etc. that is still available for the time being, but is slated to be removed.

Technically, I tried to keep it simple. 14 tracks, mixed in Reaper, with a few EQ adjustments (mostly to tame some of the lead guitar's harshness), and Izotope Ozone for some light and basic "pseudo-mastering". Instruments are mostly VSTs played through a MIDI keyboard/MIDI guitar pickup (OTS Dracus / Rock Standard / Steel Strings, Ample Bass P Lite II), with DI guitar as well (Ernie Ball Music Man Axis through NI Guitar Rig).

Here's the song on SoundCloud, with downloads enabled:

Post by ] Peter:H [ »

https://www.dropbox.com/s/plw6q20xgt9no ... g.wav?dl=0

"Heilung" (engl. Healing) - A heart beat, a deep relaxed breath in nature. holistic view of the unity of body and soul.

This track is a ambient style background track with a pinch of binaural beats. So please listen with headphones. Don't listen to loud. Keep it low in volume and let it loop... Don't expect a intro-bridge-chorus style pop song...it's a piece that you put on a loop and let it run in the background to make the effect sink in ... slowly.

It's my first attempt at binaural beats. It was fun to weave the alpha-Waves of 8Hz into the track.
Actually it works for me - Since working on this track I get more and vivid dreams... hope it works for you as well.

---
DAW: Bitwig 3.03
Instruments / FX:
* Bitwig Internal - Sampler, The Grid, EQ, Mid/Side,...
* Tone2 Icarus - I've created some speach samples with Balabolka, imported them into Icarus as resampled wavetables.
* Lots of Meldaproduction, Multiband-Delay, MBGranular, MBReverb, ModernCompressor...

---
Samples for see waves, the seagules, the breathing, the chinese gong - all have been downloaded from: http://soundbible.com
Hope this is okay, as they are all marked with some open source license.
---