2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC026 October 2019 - Winners announced

Thematic Songwriting Competition - recurrence: monthly
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC026 October 2019 - Voting until 01-NOV-2019 11:59pm GMT+1/CET

Post by Mister Fox »

A friendly reminder:
We're in the final 24 hours to submit your feedback and cast a vote
erictracks

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC026 October 2019 - Voting until 01-NOV-2019 11:59pm GMT+1/CET

Post by erictracks »

Honestly these are all tied. Each one has super positive aspects to recommend it as the winner. The pop of ryanc, Oli the Cat's jazzy swing and great vocals, Moses' awesome composition and energy, and Olli H's perfect companion to a walk in an actual magic forest.

gruskada "Oli the Cat"
Vocals are perfect love the phrasing. "No seriously look out" lol.
This is a dynamic mix, where each instrument has it's moment; the drum fills tie the swinging instruments together nicely. Breakdown at :50 in the song is great. Grand wazoo by zappa comes to mind.

ryanc "Let You Down Easy"
Oh man this is good, like a network show. This melody is tight, the chorus is really pleasing too.
Abrupt ending on the theme, but I can see the TV screen showing like the producers name in that moment and the show starting.
Definitely solid songwriting here. This is like pro pop man. Song is killer. I like the quiet start, really fits that melodic vibe.

Moses "Up Early"
First impression is an energetic kids show for sure. More grown up than like Yo Gabba Gabba, but the same vibe of creativity and energy, and eclecticism.
Tight and really well edited.

Olli H "Early Morning Walk in the Magic Forest"
Strong entry, this is super solid, a jaunty stroll for sure. Nice job capturing the vibe of a journey and coming across like all your magic creature friends. By the end of the song I have a very positive feeling, similar to the way "Lookin Out My Back Door" leaves me. Great mix, great instrumentation.
► Show Spoiler
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC026 October 2019 - results in preparation

Post by Mister Fox »

It's the 02nd November 2019, 5:15am - the Voting Period has officially ended.

Sadly, not all participants have cast their vote (Moses), we therefore have one disqualification.

I will post the results shortly, please have an eye on this thread.
(this is not an automated process)
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC026 October 2019 - Winners announced

Post by Mister Fox »

Ladies and Gentlemen, here are the results of Songwriting Competition 26

:arrow: The winners podium consists of:
  1. Olli H (30 pts, Sole Winner)

Apologies for the waiting time, this is not an automated process.

<4 participant rule is not in use (staff comments and votes)
We have 1 disqualifications (no feedback/vote given)
We have 0 votes after the deadline
We have 0 users that tied
"Sole (License) Winner" rule does apply - 1-position Winners Podium

Here are the results as chart in image form:

Thank you so much for your participation. :clap:

:arrow: License selection:

We'll now perform with the usual. Selecting licenses is handled in public. Please select one license/company out of the pool (in order of the winners podium, in case of SWC026, we only have a sole winner) and mention it in this thread, then (important) please get in touch with me (via PM) with your full name, email address and your license selection.

As usual - you're not forced to pick up anything. You can pass and therefore offer more to select for the next person in line (if there is a spot existing / not available for "sole winner" mechanic). Just let all participants/winners/the staff know in a timely manner.

Feedback about the "Songwriting Competition" is welcome (please do so here).

See you in in the next challenge!
Olli H

Post by Olli H »

wow and thanks! I'll take the MODO BASS.
erictracks

Post by erictracks »

Congrats to Olli H with a well deserved win, and the other podium winners.

Thank you to everyone for the feedback on my song. It's true, the TV edit was too long lol. I was really grooving to the simple progression though, and wanted to let it run it's course with the descending melody and orchestration and stuff.

The album song was supposed to have vocals, but I didn't have the skill to pull them off, so apologies for the boring third verse section in the intro (and overall emptiness). There was supposed to be some pretty dramatic stuff going on. I was envisioning like "Keep Your Eye on the Sparrow" type vocals to continue the 70s aesthetic.

And all of a sudden it was the due date and I just decided to submit the mix I had.