2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC027 November 2019 - Winners announced

Thematic Songwriting Competition - recurrence: monthly
TrojakEW

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC027 November 2019 - Winners announced

Post by TrojakEW »

Congrats gruskada :tu: .

Also thank you Mister Fox for your comments.
gruskada wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 15:14 CET
As far as dBTP, I had always thought that anything under 0.00 was ok. I just found some articles that explains that streaming services like -1.00 (this one seems good: https://www.masteringthemix.com/blogs/l ... fs-reading ), so I'll work on this for next time.
There are requirement regarding LUFS and also TP for streaming services. Soundcloud doesn't change loudness but -1dBTP is good in order to avoid clipping when the track is converted to stream version. -0.3dBTP is not enough and you can be sure that stream mp3 version that SC use will have clipping.
Mellow Browne

Post by Mellow Browne »

Congratulations to the winner, MODO BASS is a nice choice. Have fun with it.

Sorry, next time I will pay more attention to the given theme and try harder. I was just so excited to leave my "comfort zone" and try to do something that I normally don't do. The cool thing is, even if I "f+cked up" the genre I learned a lot while doing this.

Thanks again for your feedback, much appreciated :tu:
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

TrojakEW wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 19:23 CET
gruskada wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 15:14 CET
As far as dBTP, I had always thought that anything under 0.00 was ok. I just found some articles that explains that streaming services like -1.00 (this one seems good: https://www.masteringthemix.com/blogs/l ... fs-reading ), so I'll work on this for next time.
There are requirement regarding LUFS and also TP for streaming services. Soundcloud doesn't change loudness but -1dBTP is good in order to avoid clipping when the track is converted to stream version. -0.3dBTP is not enough and you can be sure that stream mp3 version that SC use will have clipping.
The long and short of it is really, that the higher the loudness (average signal strength), the more trouble a CODEC has.

Example:
In order to remain "clipping free", a -8dB RMS (avg) signal needs to be limited at -1dBTP before hitting the codec. Chances are, depending on the CODEC setting, that you will get overshots regardless which can result in all kinds of troubles on playback devices. Especially old ones.

No matter which audio streaming service you go for, some currently use -16LUFS ILk while some some stick to -14LUFS ILk, the max dBTP value is set to -1dBFS. Things do look highly different if we talk "broadcasting" of course. Then we talk lower LUFS values and there is currently a trend to pull the dBTP value down to -2dBTP.
SimaGT
Wild Card x1
Wild Card x1

Post by SimaGT »

I'm sorry guys, i had a very busy schedule last few days :(.
I will give feedback to everyone later today.
SimaGT
Wild Card x1
Wild Card x1

Post by SimaGT »

Some awesome tracks last month u guys made.
So here's my 2 cents .

becsei_gyorgy
"Fall of Themyscira"

Nice melodic intro ,1 bass note seems off .After listening whole track there is one thing that i noticed the most ,
guitar rhythm doesn't change through whole track, maybe some variations in "chugging" rhythm could help to be less repetitive.
Also drums sound is like they are played in garage and other symphonic elements are played in "hall" it is very noticeable .
Overall not bad for a first track.

TrojakEW
"Become A Champion"

Well done intro maybe a bit to long for genre but good opening and then that awesome double bass, mmm tasty.
Orchestral parts are well mixed in, all instruments actually ,you can hear them all there is no mud.
There's only 1 drum pattern looping through the whole track ,some variations could help here.
Overall you did really awesome mix there ,just arrangement need bit more work.

Gruskada
" Transclusion"

Nice intro ,i like the guitars here.I can barely her the snare in busy parts need more power there.
The first minute (intro) is my favorite part of the whole track really well done.
Arrangement is bit to complex for my taste ,i prefer big fat riffs and power chords in metal but that's just me.
Dynamics overall are bit weak but overall the mix is decent .

OlliH
"UninvitedGuest"

Well can't hear much metal in this track dunno what this is ,very daring but interesting.
Mix is decent dont have complaints there. Samples are bit unrealistic but maybe that was your attention,
i mean, not all symphonic metal bands use realistic orchestral sounds i know some are just using keyboards
and romplers like M1.

Mellow_Browne
" All_White_Key"

Well no metal here :D but if the months theme was some kind pop/rock this would have been awesome track,
Mix sounds fine drums are punchy and everything is glued well.
gruskada

Post by gruskada »

Appreciate the feedback, SimaGT. Thanks. I'm in the process of re-mixing my song, in part based on everyone's comments.

Thanks also to Mister Fox and Trojak for explaining true peak levels more clearly.
Mellow Browne wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 20:27 CET
The cool thing is, even if I "f+cked up" the genre I learned a lot while doing this.
I feel the exact same :smile:
becsei_gyorgy wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 16:24 CET
Thank you for your feedbacks again and especially for the very useful tips.
No problem. Just thought of something else as well - if you can start with a melody in your head, it's a lot easier to break out of conventions and other things you can tend to fall back on otherwise (esp. w/ composing on an instrument). The hard part is coming up with a melody in your head, though.