2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC029 January 2020 - Winners announced

Thematic Songwriting Competition - recurrence: monthly
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC029 January 2020 - preparation phase

Post by Mister Fox »

It is the 25th January 2020, 6:00am GMT+1/CET - this month's Songwriting Competition has official ended

To those that haven't joined the SWC in in a while, welcome back. I'd still love to see the participation go beyond 10 in 2020.

We had 7 participants overall, which is 1 entry more compared to last month (6 entries), 0 more/less compared to last year (7 entries).
The "staff balancing vote" add-on rule does not apply
"Sole Winners Podium" rule (equal or less than seven participants results in a single winner) does apply. (1-position Winners Podium)

There were no productions submitted after the deadline.
No (number: 0) entry has been disqualified
No (number: 0) entry has been redacted

:arrow: How do we go from there?

Over the course of the next (hopefully) 24-48 hours, I'll gather all links into one post and hot-link to that from the first post of the thread. So please, check your links again. Mistakes and hiccups do happen on the internet. We then perform with the "public vote" system.

We have 7 participants. That means that each participant can vote for 6 tracks, the staff will notcast a balance vote.

Keep in mind of the overhaul of the Rules and Guidelines. As long as we're not exceeding 20 participants, let's give feedback to all participants and(!) cast your vote for all of them.

The Top 20 list (or in this case, your top 6) can look something like this:
01 (10 pts) - Mr Moon
02 (9 pts) - Mr Sun
03 (8 pts) - Mrs Venus
04 (7 pts) - Mr Mars and his companions
05 (6 pts) - Mr Hale-Bopp
06 (5 pts) - The Rings of Saturn
07 (4 pts) - ...

How your voting could look like, please take a look at these posts (sans the technical information):
viewtopic.php?p=2311#p2311
viewtopic.php?p=2478#p2478
viewtopic.php?p=2819#p2819
viewtopic.php?p=3522#p3522

It is also recommended to cast your vote in collective form through the "Spoiler" tag:

Code: Select all

[spoil]01 participant
02 participant
03 participant[/spoil]
Please use the forum username of the participant to make it easier during the score collection to address what vote belongs to whom.

Please also take note of the Rules and Guidelines (on giving feedback (mandatory for all participants, failing to do so results in a disqualification). Also, you can score an extra point for your given feedback, if you're giving hints how one could improve their production (new game mechanic, please check the rule book)

Feedback from non-participants is highly encouraged (voting not needed!). The same goes for entries after the deadline, or those that do sadly not count for the current running game. Musicians and Engineers are always after constructive criticism. This is what this forum is about.

Have some general feedback? Please voice your feedback/opinion/concerns here:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=97

Please have an eye on this thread! :tu:
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC029 January 2020 - Voting until 01-FEB-2020 11:59pm GMT+1/CET

Post by Mister Fox »

Let us kick off the VOTING PROCESS, which will end on Saturday, 01-JAN-2020 11:59pm GMT+1/CET latest

There is a GLOBAL COUNTDOWN to check for deadlines.
Just follow this link: Global Countdown (on homepage)

Here is the collection of productions from all participants (in hope that I didn't forget anyone). As usual, if you click on the small upwards-arrow right beside the quoted name, you can jump to the original post and read up on the documentation for this production.

Olli H wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 08:30 CET
"Creeping Dementia Blues"

MP3: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Hd0mj ... QN0RkXQ2Hd
Clueless wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 17:39 CET
"Form79"

MP3 version with DL
Tj Shredder wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 18:03 CET
"...if we have sinned"

wav: https://www.dropbox.com/s/lsr433qtimkq8 ... d.wav?dl=0
mp3: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ashr1em29jlsl ... d.mp3?dl=0

INFORMATION: SoundCloud file not named properly
MarkS wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 19:21 CET
"The Question"

WAV: https://www.dropbox.com/s/rxfakni22r2ty ... n.wav?dl=0
The Exponent wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 20:49 CET
"Yatra"

FLAC: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hC_3s4 ... sp=sharing

INFORMATION: No WAV or MP3 available

BONUS ENTRIES (submitted after the deadline - you can not vote for it, but feel free to give feedback)
canese wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 15:18 CET
"Hy"

MP3: https://www.dropbox.com/s/qxxw8nqjmcqdgyq/Hy.mp3?dl=0
Clueless wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:25 CET
"FshSW2020"

Please consult the last post of how your vote could look like (which links to more sources). And to make it simple for me for counting the votes - please use the forum usernames in your listing. Thank you!

To make it easier on yourself, and more helpful for each participant, maybe focus on the overall production value. What you really liked with the song, what you'd like to see improved, etc.

SWC029 participants giving feedback to each other (to every participant) and casting your Top 6 vote is mandatory, else you will be disqualified. Please also keep the new game mechanics in mind.

Good luck to all participants! :tu:
canese

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC029 January 2020 - Voting until 01-FEB-2020 11:59pm GMT+1/CET

Post by canese »

Hello, I'm sorry for arriving late. I do not intend to participate in the competition, I just wanted to share with you the track I made from the Samples.

It was very amusing making the track from scratch and made me realise that I don't have excuses for making music even if I don't have certain expensive tool.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qxxw8nqjmcqdgyq/Hy.mp3?dl=0

When I heard the samples I immediately wanted to make a techno rave track. I'm not sure if it is very danceable, perhaps not sober...

I started with the most important thing in a electronic techno. The kick. FOr the kick I used "Pneumatic Doors on modern Subway Train" I chopped, added a ton of effects like EQs, compression, distortion and a reverb.

The high hats or shakers are from the Wet_Sponge_rubbing_on_Cooktop, also with a long chain of effects, from Eq to compression and a flanger.

The sidechain sound is from the Oboe Multiphonic layered with the Kurzweil 2000 Pad and Boots treading on broken glass and ceramics

For percussion sounds I used Smash Printer, Hit Metal Barrel, the Sleeping dog (only one little breath to make like a rim shot) and Construction Site Deep Drill Stomp .

Also Used the train for automating risers and ambient sounds.

I'd try to give feedback to your songs in this days, good luck!
SirCool

Post by SirCool »

Hello,
In the vote, should we also vote for ourselves or make a classification of the 6 other composers?
Musically
Steeve
The Exponent

Post by The Exponent »

SirCool wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 15:25 CET
Hello,
In the vote, should we also vote for ourselves or make a classification of the 6 other composers?
Musically
Steeve
You vote for/rank and provide feedback to the other participants(in this case 6). You can't vote for yourself. Cheers!
Tj Shredder

Post by Tj Shredder »

Ok, I'll try my best as its the first time I am participating - (lets see what this spoil tag does...; - )

It seems the poem did inspire the majority of participants, as it did me as well...
Unfortunately it was often kind of hard to recognize the original sources (except for those parts of the poem which where...;-)
Of course if those samples had been chosen which resemble standard sounds anyway close, like stomp for a kick, or similar stuff, that does not turn it into something more interesting that easily either.

:arrow: Exponent - Yatra (10 pts)
I can't help but to give Exponent my ten points. Its kind of the most complete piece. I really liked the beginning, though the duration is fine, at the end it seemed there was less to tell... Production wise as to be expected nothing to complain about, someone who knows his tools...
He had chosen some of the more interesting sounds, but they appear more like spices for conventional sounds. Though the warm and nice bass always keeps a relaxed and enjoyable atmosphere

:arrow: Clueless - Form 79 (9 pts)
A short and relaxed rhythm. I liked all the sounds, though the two sources are not really that apparent. Not too much happening beside a drop and a repeat, maybe a reason why it is that short. - Though as one of the sound sources was a poem with "something to say", I don't know what the message of that piece could have been. I guess dancing to it for a short flirt - could it it be that?

:arrow: SirCool - <no name given> (8 pts)
Another very short piece. I do like those almost heavy metal sounds in the beginning (though they lack a bit of power for that...) as well as the softer ones a bit later. There was enough expression in it to be enjoyable, but it could benefit from more developing the elements and creating a glueing context. That would in turn lead to something that lasts and enjoys longer...

:arrow: becsay_guorgy - Perfect Life (Dark Boughs) (7 pts)
This is clearly a dance floor piece. Though usually I really detest those kicks jumping right in with almost no pause, but this kick does sound good (no wonder the original stomp?). The chord progressions and melodies are a bit too much cliché for me. But what really helped a lot is those thrown in speech parts from the poem mixed nicely with enough space to give it a feel...

:arrow: MarkS - The Question (6 pts)
The sounds chosen from the pool belong to the more interesting for sure! But its just a bit too repetitive and "cold" put together. I guess its your style, it just does not keep my interest too long...

:arrow: Olli H. - Creeping Dementia Blues (5 pts)
This has a Casio SK series aesthetic. Unfortunately not my taste at all. It reminds me too much at all-round-entertainers from the seventies playing their organ at weddings to get the audience off the place earlier in the evening... I don't mind your playing the melodies at all, but with that little expression in it, its hard. Try to incorporate velocity in your playing, and sounds are important! Do not underestimate these at all, especially for your own fun.

:arrow: Tj Shredder - ...if we have sinned (0pts)
Just some words about my own piece: Of course this falls off in terms of styles we are used to here a bit. I would not call this a song, though there is even a text. For me this is about sounds, and it could need much better mixing for sure (I have thrown in a bit too much material...). I wanted to have the whole poem to be understandable. I choose the first half for the beginning and the last half for the end. A very simple concept, in the middle it could go wild into places where the text gets severely scrambled... I had a lot of fun with the sounds and some tools I acquired just out of curiosity or impulse buys and never used yet. A very inspiring experience. Thanks a lot for that....!

my votes:
► Show Spoiler
P.S. now I know what the spoiler does...;-)
Clueless

Post by Clueless »

Well, this was interesting, a varied use of the source materials, personally I had started out making a very dark piece, lots a swooshes and imaginary spaces with more identifiable use of samples (possibly) at the bottom of the post is my first attempt using paulstretch and other FSU, someone might find it interesting ??

So, for the roundup

Tj Shredder Community Scramble - if we have sinned

A really great use of the samples, for the first minute I thought it was just a basic replay of them with some general editing, then all of a sudden a drone pad ( i assume this is mammut, ive played with it before but cant get realtime playback :( .) a few little clicks and pops, nothing that interfered.
Overall an interesting piece, almost like an intercepted message from space, reconstructed,very calming.

SWC029 by SirCool

Starts of like a battle, very tense, really like the use of the side effects, although some of this is lost in mono playback. Gets a bit ravey then stops, would have like some atmosphere, either pads or something that breaks the top line, overall interesting use of source material.

SWC029_becsei_gyorgy_Perfect_Life(Dark_Boughs)

starts on a dark anthem, like the use of pads, beats seem a bit blocky, use of trancegate sounds good, maybe use the trancegate on your hi percs such as hats, will give a better swing, A1 triggergate helps with this. would have liked a break where the beat is not in, seems a little long, maybe compacting the track would help, at the end its gets really powerful.

swc029_OlliH_Creeping-Dementia-Blues

I really dig your playing on this, like a 60's space piece, very fun(and in)key, reminded me a large amount of abstract electronics :)

SWC029-MarkS-The Question

Starts on a dark note with a very nice delay which give a nice space, however percs are a bit scratchy and the kick seems quite wooden blocky, has a ravey feel with bass and othe stab type sounds, theres not much overall direction and is quite basic in its overall composition, as i wrote on Gyorgy Becsei piece, a use of a trance gate or even a softened delay on your percs would add to the swing.
Possibly try bouncing down individual elements and trying something like paulstretch, the original speed of the track can be identified in audacity or the like ( new audacity includes paulstretch option ),and place back into the track, to add a base atmosphere that will help to ground your other elements, there is something here, it just needs to be massaged ;)

SWC029_The Exponent_Yatra

Well, there isnt much to criticise, maybe a bit of a reverb on the hi hats, just to add a bit more depth, even just a white noise though a gated reverb just coming in now and again would add a little sizzle to your beat. Overall a good use of the samples to create something that doesn't sound like samples ;)

► Show Spoiler

Edit

Late edition

Hy -by canese

Well this is intense and very dense, it wound it self up on several occasions, and just kept on.
Would have liked a climax of sorts, almost like a complete mass accumulation of a kind before being allowed to breathe again. :D
Last edited by Clueless on Wed Jan 29, 2020 21:02 CET, edited 3 times in total.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

canese wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 15:18 CET
Hello, I'm sorry for arriving late. I do not intend to participate in the competition, I just wanted to share with you the track I made from the Samples.

When I heard the samples I immediately wanted to make a techno rave track. I'm not sure if it is very danceable, perhaps not sober...
Actually, this is what I wanted to hear for SWC011 (theme: Tanzmaschine / genre: 90s Techno).

Your current mix is an interesting blend of samples and effects (reverb mainly) that actually goes more towards industrial (which I expected to be the dominant genre this month, but . Unless you wanted that drenched "I listen to this outside of the main hall" feeling - which I can't recommend, as the intricate details are washed out a bit too much IMO. The breakdown also seems to speed up and pulls you out of the groove. But other than that, interesting usage of the samples.

I just added your track as "Bonus Entry". This way people can still listen to your production, and give feedback (if they want). But you're sadly one day late, so sadly you won't get any points. :sad:

But hey, the next songwriting game is right around the corner, and I hope the interest for the "Community Scramble" is high enough to start another round this game in January 2021.

Clueless wrote:
Well, this was interesting, a varied use of the source materials, personally I had started out making a very dark piece, lots a swooshes and imaginary spaces with more identifiable use of samples (possibly) at the bottom of the post is my first attempt using paulstretch and other FSU, someone might find it interesting ??
If you don't mind, I also added this production as "Bonus Entry" (out of competition).

I find both of your entries interesting. FshSW2020 is a bit more experimental and minimalistic, while Form79 is more eclectic with a focus on a bass and having more percussive work. It's great to read that you experimented with tools you usually don't use. I hope this helps with your future productions.
Clueless

Post by Clueless »

Mister Fox wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 09:38 CET
[

Clueless wrote:
If you don't mind, I also added this production as "Bonus Entry" (out of competition).

I find both of your entries interesting. FshSW2020 is a bit more experimental and minimalistic, while Form79 is more eclectic with a focus on a bass and having more percussive work. It's great to read that you experimented with tools you usually don't use. I hope this helps with your future productions.
Hi Mister Fox,

I've added a note at the bottom of my post on the track hy.
Thanks for the feedback on fshsw2020, with the paulstretch , I have used before just not in released material :)
I think I've tried most, from Mammut ( TJ Shredder used in his track ) to cecilia5
http://ajaxsoundstudio.com/software/cecilia/
Warning for above page as its not registered :(
Any thing that will FSU as they say.
There's a whole heap of things like hourglass etc etc

:D
Olli H

Post by Olli H »

As a general guideline to my comments, I was listening more the song than the sound effects.

======

SirCool

Great opening riff. But after 20s one expects to hear some variation. (Which came at 30 s).
Sonically quite interesting piece with elements that would work as game effects, but musically this does not develop to be a song. It would work perfectly as a game background music.

So you have a simple and very effective opening riff. But you need to add some small movement to it. Just for fun, listen Beethoven's 5th Symphony. It has also a simple and effective opening, but notice how that simple effect keeps changing but comes back to that pure simple form. I’d love to hear what would happen to this song if you develop musically that cool main idea.

======

becsei_gyorgy, Perfect Life

Music
Great opening. And the whole song develops very nicely. Changes come in right moments. You surely have a nice touch to make music move. From the point of view of genre, this song somehow reminded my of the old Boney M hit "One Way Ticket". Maybe there's something similar with the groove and feeling.

Sounds are also very nice to me. Maybe somewhere could be a bit uglier part with a stronger drive. Or more defined solo instruments and softer backing instruments.

You have woven those speak effects nicely into this song, but for some reason I feel the music is stronger and more interesting, and so my focus keeps going to music behind the vox. But then it happens that speak parts disturb my listening experience.

Anyhow, I think you'll have a great song of this if you can have a clear focus point all the time.

======

Clueless

This also has a nice and strong opening bass groove. And I like those watery percussion sounds. I but for some reason it doesn't develop but keeps looping too much, at least to me. But maybe the repeating loop feeling belongs to this genre.

0:55 I like that "pa-pa-pa" vocal part. It adds nice change to this song. But maybe it's too long part. It could be better with several shorter parts with the main riff there in between. The best part is when that "pa-pa-pa" begins, so with small intervals that experience could come more often,

2.00 My concentration starts to weaken.

So overall it feels to me that you have a strong foundation for a great forthcoming song, but maybe you run out of time.

======

The Exponent, yatra
Opening is a bit messy, but with purpose, I guess. It would be a great ambient to some film.

Strong feeling and nice sound development thorough out the song.

0:55 starts a groove that feels to me a bit clumsy. Problem is probably that bass that doesn't have a clear attack and slides to notes.

As a song this is not that strong, it repeats too much that main riff. And it doesn't sound like a melody but is more like an accompaniment around chord notes. So I miss melodic or musical hooks.

But those atmospheric sounds are very cool.

=======

Mark S
Maybe the best opening riff, Nice use of delays.
0:30 I start to feel that the riff needs to develop
1.00 Nice change
1.08 song starts. But something starts to drag. The rhythm does not work anymore the same way.
2.00 concentration disappears

Overall, the sounds are cool and create nice feeling.
There was a really great intro that made me wait for the song - what's going to happen - but the song never came. So, you managed to create a great expectation, but after that something went wrong, and I felt spoofed. If you manage to offer throughout the song the same quality as your opening is, you'll make a hit.

=======

TJShredder
Very nice development with the use of vocal effects. It feels like a soundtrack of some sci-fi movie. You clearly have a talent to tell story with sounds and effects. Full points for that.
As a sonic genre this reminds me of "Revolution 9" by The Beatles.

But, like you said it yourself, this is not a song, at least in normal meaning of the word. No melody, rhythms, harmonies. For this reasonin my mind it doesn't belong to a songwriting competition. Minus points for that.

=======

► Show Spoiler