2024-APR-11 Info: Check out our current running games Mix Challenge 097 and Songwriting Competition 080.

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC029 January 2020 - Winners announced

Thematic Songwriting Competition - recurrence: monthly
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC029 January 2020 - results in preparation

Post by Mister Fox »

It's the 02nd February 2020, 9:00am - the Voting Period has officially ended.

All participants have submitted feedback and cast their vote, we therefore have zero disqualifications due to lack of participation.

Some quick feedback for future games: even though songwriting is a highly subjective topic, please try to give more feedback on technical aspects (the mix of the production) in the future. That has been neglected in recent games. I still gave pretty much everyone an extra point for "Detailed Feedback", but just writing "I liked part A and Part B, keep it up" is not working in the long run. Please check in with the Rules and Guidelines. You know of the new mechanic now - from now on, if I only read overall feedback, you will not get an extra point.

I will post the results shortly, please have an eye on this thread.
(this is not an automated process)
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC029 January 2020 - Winners announced

Post by Mister Fox »

Ladies and Gentlemen, here are the results of Songwriting Competition 29

:arrow: The winners podium consists of:
  1. The Exponent (57 pts, Sole Winner)

Apologies for the waiting time, this is not an automated process.

<4 participant rule is not in use (staff comments and votes)
We have 0 disqualifications
We have 0 votes after the deadline
We have 2 users that tied (MarkS has 1x9pt, 0x8pt, 2x7pt -- SirCool has 0x9pt, 1x8pt, 2x7pt)
"Sole (License) Winner" rule does apply - 1-position Winners Podium

Here are the results as chart in image form:

Thank you so much for your participation. :clap:

:arrow: License selection:

We'll now perform with the usual. Selecting licenses is handled in public. Please select one license/company out of the pool (in order of the winners podium, in case of SWC029, we only have a sole winner) and mention it in this thread, then (important) please get in touch with me (via PM) with your full name, email address and your license selection.

As usual - you're not forced to pick up anything. You can pass and therefore offer more to select for the next person in line (if there is a spot existing / not available for "sole winner" mechanic). Just let all participants/winners/the staff know in a timely manner.

Feedback about the "Songwriting Competition" is welcome (please do so here).

See you in in the next challenge!
The Exponent

Post by The Exponent »

Firstly, thanks a lot to Mister Fox for doing this and giving us all this wonderful platform for creative exploration and cool prizes.
I'd like the license for MODO BASS as my prize.

Also another round of applause for all the participants, really interesting tracks. Well done all!
Tj Shredder

Post by Tj Shredder »

Thanks to all and to all comments as well. I feel honoured by the votes and all comments had been helpful even if they reflect that my musical idea was partially not understood at all... 10 points from the Winner though, tells a lot (and thanks for that...)
I always had the feeling there are musicians who serve all people, and musicians who mainly serve musicians (who in turn can serve all people). Stockhausen served the Beatles and Björk for example...
I always want to open doors, but some doors are scary as it seems, and that was my biggest surprise, that my piece created some horror associations - for me it was more on the calm side in the end...;-)
Clueless

Post by Clueless »

Tj Shredder wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:47 CET
Thanks to all and to all comments as well. I feel honoured by the votes and all comments had been helpful even if they reflect that my musical idea was partially not understood at all... 10 points from the Winner though, tells a lot (and thanks for that...)
I always had the feeling there are musicians who serve all people, and musicians who mainly serve musicians (who in turn can serve all people). Stockhausen served the Beatles and Björk for example...
I always want to open doors, but some doors are scary as it seems, and that was my biggest surprise, that my piece created some horror associations - for me it was more on the calm side in the end...;-)
These are good sentiments to hold, my 2nd place rating was based on exponents production chops, that's what swung it, there are countless musicians who inspire and allow others to borrow.
Good artists copy; great artists steal is from some where?
I think it should be
Good artists copy; great artists inspire ;)

:hail:
The Exponent

Post by The Exponent »

Clueless wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:55 CET
Tj Shredder wrote:
These are good sentiments to hold, my 2nd place rating was based on exponents production chops, that's what swung it, there are countless musicians who inspire and allow others to borrow.
I think it should be

If I understood you correctly, are you saying that I won solely because my production was more polished? If we had same production levels, you feel I should not have won, or my songwriting/arrangement was inferior to yours and you should have won instead? Is my understanding correct or am I mistaken?
TrojakEW

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC029 January 2020 - Voting until 01-FEB-2020 11:59pm GMT+1/CET

Post by TrojakEW »

Olli H wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 20:46 CET
6. (5 pts) The Exponent
Can you please tell me little more about it? It is your decision and there is nothing wrong with it. I just like to know more and understand why people do this and that, to understand different view on same "subject". You write some things about all tracks but there is no clue for me how you score those tracks. Just some pointers nothing else. Thanks.
Clueless wrote:
I think it should be

This is interesting statement but I do not know if I understand correctly what do you mean.

Congrats all. Interesting tracks. It is definitely harder to make something with limited resource. Congrats to Ex. Nice track with good sounding mix. Definitely winner. Intro is bit muddy but when beat start it sounds great.

My 2nd favorites was Olli H and becsei_gyorgy.
Clueless

Post by Clueless »

The Exponent wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 14:42 CET
Clueless wrote:
Tj Shredder wrote:
I think it should be

If I understood you correctly, are you saying that I won solely because my production was more polished? If we had same production levels, you feel I should not have won, or my songwriting/arrangement was inferior to yours and you should have won instead? Is my understanding correct or am I mistaken?
I think you are mistaken :)
I said I had placed you above TJShredder because your production was well done, if you read more into that, then you are simply reading too much into it :shrug:
TrojakEW wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 18:36 CET
Olli H wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 20:46 CET
6. (5 pts) The Exponent
Can you please tell me little more about it? It is your decision and there is nothing wrong with it. I just like to know more and understand why people do this and that, to understand different view on same "subject". You write some things about all tracks but there is no clue for me how you score those tracks. Just some pointers nothing else. Thanks.
Clueless wrote:
I think it should be

This is interesting statement but I do not know if I understand correctly what do you mean.

Congrats all. Interesting tracks. It is definitely harder to make something with limited resource. Congrats to Ex. Nice track with good sounding mix. Definitely winner. Intro is bit muddy but when beat start it sounds great.

My 2nd favorites was Olli H and becsei_gyorgy.
Then you dont understand?
I'm not :bang: in order to explain words :)
The Exponent

Post by The Exponent »

Clueless wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 18:58 CET
I said I had placed you above TJShredder because your production was well done, if you read more into that, then you are simply reading too much into it :shrug:
Aaah! My bad :bang: I thought you implied your own placement :face: I totally forgot that you ranked TJ 2nd. I apologize sincerely :hug:
Clueless

Post by Clueless »

The Exponent wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 19:02 CET
Clueless wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 18:58 CET
Aaah! My bad :bang: I thought you implied your own placement :face: I totally forgot that you ranked TJ 2nd. I apologize sincerely :hug:
That's fine :)
I only enter in order to have a reason to make music, nothing more :sing: :phones: