2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC038 October 2020 - Winners announced

Thematic Songwriting Competition - recurrence: monthly
GMoneh

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC038 October 2020 - Submissions until 24-10-2020 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by GMoneh »

gruskada wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 02:35 CEST
RR = round robin, which means that a different but similar sample fires every time you play a note (up to x times before it starts over again). Many libraries include it, though in some cases you need to make sure it's turned on, or the patch your using has it. More expensive libraries will most likely have round robin, but many cheaper ones do as well.

The result is that it sounds a lot more natural. Severe cases where round robin isn't used and notes are played in quick succession is called the "machine gun effect", which sounds really obvious and terrible.
Ah, thank you. Yes, I know what round robin is, I just didn't make the connection with the acronym. Thanks for clearing that out.
EsteveCorbera

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC038 October 2020 - Submissions until 24-10-2020 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by EsteveCorbera »

gruskada wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 02:35 CEST
GMoneh wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 20:53 CEST
I apologize for the ignorance, but what is RR?
RR = round robin, which means that a different but similar sample fires every time you play a note (up to x times before it starts over again). Many libraries include it, though in some cases you need to make sure it's turned on, or the patch your using has it. More expensive libraries will most likely have round robin, but many cheaper ones do as well.

The result is that it sounds a lot more natural. Severe cases where round robin isn't used and notes are played in quick succession is called the "machine gun effect", which sounds really obvious and terrible.
Thank you so much for the explanation. I was unfamiliar with that term
Slickster716

Post by Slickster716 »

Hi

This is my submission:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-PCcie ... sp=sharing

Here is my Summary:

The Neighbors:

Michael and Kathy are two teenagers dating in the typical American Suburbia. They realize things seem strange when they randomly encounter awkward members of society in town that they have not met before. These friendly "Neighbors" appear normal enough at first glance, but there is always something just slightly off about them. They miss social ques or seem to not understand how commonplace interactions work. They seem to not always have the appropriate expression. Other times they seem to have no sense of local customs or history. While seemingly harmless, for some reason Michael and Kathy feel the need to investigate these individuals further. Their findings do nothing but further their suspicions that these individuals do not belong here.

Notes:
I have tried some mix contests but this is my first songwriting contest. I have wanted to try this for a while. I was caught up with some things at work so I did not have as much time to work as I wished. But I made a commitment to submit to this and I hope to participate in the future months going forward.

Instruments used - electric guitar - the rest made with virtual instruments mainly I have used the beatskillz drum machines/instruments, The Arturia V Collection, Ik Multimedia Syntronik, IK Multimedia MODO Drums for cymbals. For FX/Mixing, I have used Waves SSL, Waves SSL COMP, PA LTL CHOP SHOP, BX SSL 4000 E, Decapitator, Pro Q, Pro L, Pro C, SPL Transient Designer, Waves Smack Attack, Dverb, Arturia REV 140 Plate, S Gear.
Last edited by Slickster716 on Sat Oct 24, 2020 16:24 CEST, edited 1 time in total.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

A friendly reminder:
We're in the final 24 hours to submit your production.

If you want to revisit your song and do some changes, please do so now.
Shea

Post by Shea »

I have never made a song where I was trying to leave some bad vibes. I try for the opposite of eerie in my music... and thats typically what I want to hear. Feeling novice in this area, I jumped into some research on what makes music scary. 2 things stood out. 1 being dissonance. 2 being distortion. So I jumped in with those things high in priority. I was going for a more modern horror movie soundtrack... I guess, don't really watch them. I just went for it and included a lot of field recording material to add imagery. I had more fun than expected and learned more on holding tension.

PLUGINS
-Luftrum Bioscape - I used a few presets that I tweaked further. The whispers were perfect for me. A pluck, some atmosphere, an organ type sound were other presets I used.

- EW Hollywood Strings - Other than the cello, my strings came from here

- Kontakt Vintage Organs

- Exhale - Some voice type sounds

- Chris Hein Cello

- Massive - For bass

- Battery - For drums and percussion

- The Grandeur - Piano

- Serum

- freesound.org - found creaks and slams and footsteps and screams that were under a 'free to use' license (Creative Commons)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ynefcz07v53h8 ... e.wav?dl=0
Doc Jon

Post by Doc Jon »

Doc Jon wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 00:28 CEST
Edit - Final mix completed
I wanted to create a soundtrack to a sequence where someone returns to their old family home only to find it dark, cold and empty - apart from something not human living there :shock:

I have edited my original submission post with the final mix and added the track description :)
Olli H

Post by Olli H »

At first I thought I will skip this one. Then my son gave me a tip: "Tritone". The rest was easy. I'm quite happy with the results, although I ran out of time. Well, ideas are a bit unfinished and it lacks the final mixing, but luckily this is not a mixing competition.

I guess my movie belongs to paranormal horror.

0:00 - 0:26
Family (parents + young child) is forced to move to an isolated mansion in the country side. They didn’t want to move, but they had to.

0:26 - 0:47
Child has left all her friends behind and now she has no friends. She starts to get bored, and starts to find new dimensions within her.

0:47 - 1:56
Soon she finds she’s not at all alone, but she can connect to totally new kinds of friends, old mansion's evil spirits.

1:56 - 2:13
Parents start to notice something is wrong. But they don’t know what it is. They start to get worried.

2:13 - 2:37
Child notices that parents don’t seem to like her new friends. But she doesn’t want to leave again behind her friends. This time she decides to hold on to his new friends. And they seem to have interesting forces.

2:37 -
Things start to get rough.

DAW: Reaper

VIRTUAL INSTRUMENTS
String Quartet: Kontakt
Piano: Kontakt
Toys: Kontakt

SWC038_OlliH_NewFriends.wav
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bBjV3f ... sp=sharing

LOUDNESS
Calculated with Youlean online meter

Momentary Max = -4.39 LUFS
Short Term Max = -6.02 LUFS
Integrated = -14.40 LUFS
Square

Post by Square »

Hi all, heres my submission with a bit of a story with it.

All the best,

Square

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bk7sAp ... sp=sharing

------------------

A man teeters over the edge.

Gauging the wind.

Guessing where he will hit when he fall.

Gravity absorbs him.

Weightlessness and existence blend into one.

He hits the ground with an explosive quality.

Metal tears through flesh. Flesh becomes tattered and dishrevelled, like old socks.

Yet, he is alive and well.

His implants kept him safe.

Now a mangled mess of man and machine, his organics left behind, he plots a new life with his new found sense of self understanding.

He feels like he has endless power and wants to search for those like him. Those with deeper inner desires.

He comes to the nearest city, arms wide open with a new found understanding of his being. He looks to the sky with a wonderous look.

The shot rings out.

Another tr-377?

Thats the third this week.

The sewer system is getting too backed up. These cyberclones rebel too much.

This needs fixed, these, whatever they actually are again, Robots or Clones or whatever.

We need someone reliable, someone tough, someone who cares more about duty than----

'I agree'

He feels the needle pierce his neck.

'They are neither, and you will be just perfect'
YuriyKolosov

Post by YuriyKolosov »

The timer is showing 1,5 hour till deadline so hopefuly I'm not too late this time :phew:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Io74wp ... sp=sharing

The story I had in my head was something like this.
A straship with what left of humanity after long years of traveling has finally arrived to the new planet to make new home. But it soon turned out they should have never landed on that planet.

Made in FL Studio using Synth1 for effects and drums (with heavy usage of Fabfilter Saturn), Sylenth1 for pads, FL native 3xOSC and Ogun for other parts.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC038 October 2020 - preparation phase

Post by Mister Fox »

It is the 25th September 2020, 1:00 UTC+2/CEST - this month's Songwriting Competition has official ended

Once more a very warm "hello and welcome" to all new participants. Always great to see new faces. Please enjoy your stay.

<the following paragraph will be updated by 6:00 UTC+2/CEST

We had 12 participants overall plus 2 bonus entries (which were released outside of the competition timeframe), which is 2 entries less compared to last month (14 entries), and 7 more compared to last year (5 entries). Please scroll further down below to read up on an update of the game mechanics this month for the voting process

The "staff balancing vote" add-on rule does not apply
"Sole Winners Podium" rule (equal or less than seven participants results in a single winner) does not apply. (3-position Winners Podium)

There was no (number: 0) production submitted after the deadline
Two (number: 2) entry have been disqualified (productions released outside of the game's timeframe)
No (number: 0) entry has been redacted

:arrow: How do we go from there?

Over the course of the next (hopefully) 24-48 hours (usually up to 6 hours maximum after the game has ended), I'll gather all links into one post and hot-link to that from the first post of the thread. Please, no more changes to your entries, but please do check your links that they're downloadable. We then perform with the "public vote" system.

We have 12 participants. That means that each participant can vote for 11 tracks, the staff will will not cast a balance vote.

Keep the Rules and Guidelines in mind. As long as we're not exceeding 20 participants, let's give feedback to all participants and(!) cast your vote for all of them.

The Top 20 list can look something like this:
01 (11 pts) - Mr Moon
02 (10 pts) - Mr Sun
03 (09 pts) - Mrs Venus
04 (08 pts) - Mr Mars and his companions
05 (07 pts) - ...
06 (06 pts) - ...

Please take a look at these posts for how your feedback and vote could look like (sans the super technical information):
viewtopic.php?p=2311#p2311
viewtopic.php?p=2478#p2478
viewtopic.php?p=2819#p2819
viewtopic.php?p=3522#p3522

Please cast your vote in collective form through the "spoiler text" bbcode:

Code: Select all

[spoil]01 participant
02 participant
03 participant[/spoil]
Please use the forum username of the participant to make it easier during the score collection to address what vote belongs to whom.

Please also take note of the Rules and Guidelines on giving feedback (mandatory for all participants, failing to do so results in a disqualification). Even if you already gave feedback prior to the deadline, please offer some final encouraging words, and maybe give some additional tips for improvements on the way.

Feedback from non-participants is highly encouraged (voting not needed!). The same goes for entries after the deadline, or those that do sadly not count for the current running game. Musicians and Engineers are always after constructive criticism. This is what this forum is about.

:arrow: I also need to address an overhaul of the game mechanics, starting with SWC038. You can read up about the new concept here:
viewtopic.php?p=8957#p8957

Basically, disqualifications will only happen from this point forward, if you have submitted a production from outside of the game's timeframe and you're not participating in the feedback process. Everything else is handled through bonus points. This overhauled mechanic is test run for September and November. If you don't want your bonus points go to waste, please update your posts with documentation by 3:00 (morning, German Time), and check that your files are properly named / downloadable.

Have some general feedback? Please voice your feedback/opinion/concerns here:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=97

Please have an eye on this thread! :tu: