2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC038 October 2020 - Winners announced

Thematic Songwriting Competition - recurrence: monthly
CamitoHatsune01

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC038 October 2020 - Submissions until 24-10-2020 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by CamitoHatsune01 »

Hi, I'm new here, glad to join you all! I think the most appropriate song to this challenge, from my original discography name, is this one. This song was inspired from Mephilis from Sonic 06!

Thank you guys for your open submissions! :grin:

https://camitoh.bandcamp.com/track/mephiles-the-dark
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC038 October 2020 - Submissions until 24-10-2020 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Mister Fox »

Okay - sorry but I have to step in now.

While the Mix Challenge audio community is an open place for everyone, the Songwriting Competition...
  • is not a place to evade established Rules and Guidelines
  • is not an open folder to shout out a production you've released previously
  • is a place to push your creativity anew within a given timeframe (meaning: your song must be created "for" the current game, based upon the premise and genre)
I understand the need to get the word out about your production. But this is not what this particular sub-forum is about.

So far we have two entries that clearly evade these rules:
@EdThorne - track released through Spotify, iTunes and own webpage, published 25th September 2020
@CamitoHatsune01 - track released through Bandcamp, published 29th July 2020

Please stick to the Rules and Guidelines! :educate:
CamitoHatsune01

Post by CamitoHatsune01 »

Thanks, now i will leave this community forever.
TrojakEW

Post by TrojakEW »

CamitoHatsune01 wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 06:46 CEST
Thanks, now i will leave this community forever.
There is no reason for that. You have still time to create new track. You can do it. :tu:
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

A friendly reminder:
Including today, 14 days left to submit your production
Doc Jon

Post by Doc Jon »

Edit - Final mix completed
I wanted to create a soundtrack to a sequence where someone returns to their old family home only to find it dark, cold and empty - apart from something not human living there :shock:

Host
Cubase Pro 10.5

VSTs
NI Absynth x12
AAS String Studio 3 x10
Steinberg Halion SE x4
Camel Audio Alchemy x6
u-he Zebra x2
u-he ACE
Korg MonoPoly

Fx
Host EQ, delay, compression, and limiting
FabFilter ProQ3, Saturn2, Timeless2
Soundtoys Microshift
ValhallaRoom Reverb
Various T-RackS 5 modules
Izotope Neutron 3 and Ozone 8
Voxengo Span

LUFS -14.6

Freesound.org samples:
19292__martian__footstep-on-wood-foley
28238__herbertboland__footsteps
145417__soughtaftersounds__door-footsteps-1
Last edited by Doc Jon on Sat Oct 24, 2020 18:00 CEST, edited 1 time in total.
gruskada

Post by gruskada »

Doc Jon wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 00:28 CEST
Rough mix completed, will look at perhaps adding a few more elements and fine tuning the arrangement before closing date

I like this overall - the buildup is really cool, the choirs sound amazing, and I like how the theme carries through. What bothers me is the main string line. I couldn't quite put my finger on it, so I downloaded your song, and tried to add strings on top of it, and ended up adding some marcato double basses to it:

https://soundcloud.com/gruskada/doc-jon ... mJJs08FDEo

First line has the basses, second doesn't. I think it helps, but just a suggestion. It's a private shared Soundcloud link - let me know if it doesn't work.
TrojakEW

Post by TrojakEW »

Since the theme is interesting I can not resist and I started this friday to work, so it takes about 2 almost 3 day to complete. I will not have more time to adjust or make changes so it is final. I wanted to make more hybrid one instead going for orchestral track. So base block for it are Waterharp and Thunderspring - many different sounds even percussive. Some additional effect from Heavyocity Evolve and one short string passage using Ark1. Can't resist using strings but it is only very short passage. Also can not live without Damage Armageddon kit :cool: Recorder my voice for kind of beast growl sounds and added few sounds like bite and blood drips.

Idea was going from different scenes with different tension to the aggressive end part. So it start slower with more like ambient intro that goes to even more ambient/suspense part (kind of cliche with glockenspiel) where predator is watching his pray, to the end part where the hell breaks and the half man/wolf tear everything apart. End part is back to bit of ambient with glockenspiel again. Mix was challenge because those main libraries have a lot of nasty resonation and that glocken was even worst. At the end I made that simple artwork for the track.

Made using FL Studio 20.6
Instruments used:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
6x Sample Logic - Thunder Springs
8x Sample Logic - Waterharp 2
1x Heavyocity Gravity
3x Heavyocity Evolve
1x Heavyocity Evolve Mutations 2
2x Heavyocity Damage
1x Sonokinetic Tutti Vox
1x 8Dio Blendstrument Hybrib Pulses
2x 8Dio Acoustic Grand Ensembles 1
1x Orchestral Tools - Metropolis Ark 1
3x sfx from free GameAudioGDC Bundle https://sonniss.com
1x my voice (monster growl)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Used Effects:
7x VSTzOne Arx One
2x VSTzOne Vita
1x Noveltech Character
2x Noveltech Vocal Enhancer
3x Pro Audio DSM V3
2x Brainworx bx_refinement
2x NI Raum
1x Unfiltered Audio Triad
7x Furity Parametric EQ2
1x Fruity Convoler
3x Imageline Maximus
1x Imageline Gross Beat
1x Izotope Relay
1x Izotope Neutron 3
1x Izotope Ozone 9 Maximixer
1x Izotope Ozone 9 Advanced
1x Caleum Tapecassette2
Statistics:
Max momentary loudness -8.1 LUFS
Max short-tem loudness -9.1 LUFS
Integrated loudness -16.4 LUFS
Loudness range 11.9 LU
True peak L -1.01dB
True peak R -1.02dB
DC offset L 0% (-141.9dB)
DC offset R 0% (-143.5dB)
Doc Jon

Post by Doc Jon »

gruskada wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 16:25 CEST
Doc Jon wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 00:28 CEST
Rough mix completed, will look at perhaps adding a few more elements and fine tuning the arrangement before closing date

I like this overall - the buildup is really cool, the choirs sound amazing, and I like how the theme carries through. What bothers me is the main string line. I couldn't quite put my finger on it, so I downloaded your song, and tried to add strings on top of it, and ended up adding some marcato double basses to it:

https://soundcloud.com/gruskada/doc-jon ... mJJs08FDEo

First line has the basses, second doesn't. I think it helps, but just a suggestion. It's a private shared Soundcloud link - let me know if it doesn't work.
Many thanks for your advice, I think you are right, it does need another element adding to the arrangement and the low strings work well, I will see what I can do before the deadline :)
Jon
becsei_gyorgy

Post by becsei_gyorgy »

I did several sketches but i can't lie to myself and I voted for this slightly hybrid, slightly epic version :)
My submission is final.

Instead of a textual story description - soundtrack is the monthly genre anyway :) - i made a quick video.
After I finished making the song, I started looking for free videos on pexel and pixabay that fit the theme.
Thanks for the videos:
pexels.com - Kelly Lacy, Mathias Groeneveld, cottonbro, Blerdi Malushi, Innorecords Photo Videos, Zoltan Hujder, Grisha Grishkoff, James Cheney, Asif Khan, Yaroslav Shuraev, Aduri Prem Kumar, Free Videos (coverr.co)
pixabay.com - Louis de Funes, Mathias Groeneveld, Caelan Kelley, Tancox, dkblackmusic (Deborah Black), RoyBuri, Pixource, isakarakus

phpBB [media]

SWC 038 - #every90seconds

VST:
Spitfire LABS
BBC Symphony Orchestra
Zebra2
EastWest Ghostwriter
Kontakt:
Tina Guo Cello
Albion One
Metropolis Ark1
Performance Samples Oceania