2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC039 November 2020 - Winners announced

Thematic Songwriting Competition - recurrence: monthly
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC039 November 2020 - Submissions until 24-11-2020 23:59 UTC+1/CET

Post by Mister Fox »

A friendly reminder:
We're in the final 24 hours to submit your production.

Please keep the deadlines in mind, and also please don't forget your (rudimentary) documentation.
A Future in Noise

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC039 November 2020 - Submissions until 24-11-2020 23:59 UTC+1/CET

Post by A Future in Noise »

Olli H wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 08:05 CET

Around 0:50 you bring upstroke ska effect with electric guitar (I guess?). I feel it should be shorter or quicker. Now it feels as if it’s too lazy midi guitar.
Thanks a lot for very detailed comments. When I have got a little more time, I will try to reply. :) And yes, it's a midi guitar.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

We have a little bit more than 1 hour left.

If you've been sitting on the fence so far, please submit your production now.
Shea

Post by Shea »

I prefer the sounds of old school ska versus later. I had that in mind but also freed myself to just write the song. So it has a modern touch as well.
I challenged myself to write and sing the lyrics... I am not a singer FWIW.
My wife helped with adding in the other vocal sounds that are not me. Hype sounds and such.
I recorded guitar. I also recording the bongos which was a first.
Drum sounds came from Battery and Abbey Road 60's drummer
Brass was Session Horns from Kontakt
Massive and Reaktor helped with the various keys and plucks.

Ozone 8 and Kramer tape on master and Echo (ableton) for the end effect

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zoz96dpkgqc75 ... t.wav?dl=0

Lyrics:
You must first get lost to be found
Don't you be afraid that it goes down
You can get lost by wandering around
Don't be scared of hitting the ground

You will come to senselessness before you come right back to this
You will come to senselessness before you come right back to this, blow a kiss

Go get lost
Go get lost
Go get lost
Go go go lost
Last edited by Shea on Wed Nov 25, 2020 02:25 CET, edited 1 time in total.
Slickster716

Post by Slickster716 »

Hello

Here is my submission for the Contest - Lets have a Party

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jEeVN5 ... sp=sharing

I found this to be challenging, but I am forcing my self to try to compete each month to work on my skills for writing.
I used EzDrummer2, IK Multimedia Sampletank tenorsax/trombone. ModoBass, Electric Guitar Direct with S Gear, for FX I used Echoboy, Avid Space, othe reverbs. Mixing I used waves SSL Channel, Plugin Alliance Brainworx SSL Channel. Fab filter pro q3 and pro L, I am close to the deadline so I will leave with that for now.
Slickster716

Post by Slickster716 »

Continued- I had to bounce just before and the submission and I didn't have the ability to get a full reading on integrated level so i purposefully left it at a conservative level just to make sure it didn't receive any penalty.

i look forward to listening to everyone's songs, i heard a few the other day that I was very impressed with. Thanks a lot everyone.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC039 November 2020 - preparation phase

Post by Mister Fox »

It is the 25th October 2020, 0:45 UTC+1/CET - this month's Songwriting Competition has official ended

I'm seeing plenty of old faces returning. Welcome back!

<the following paragraph will be updated by 6:00 UTC+1/CET>

We had 8 participants overall, which is 4 entries less compared to last month (12 entries), and 2 more compared to last year (6 entries). Please scroll further down below to read up on an update of the game mechanics this month for the voting process

The "staff balancing vote" add-on rule does not apply
"Sole Winners Podium" rule (equal or less than seven participants results in a single winner) does not apply. (3-position Winners Podium)

There was no (number: 0) production submitted after the deadline
No (number: 0) entry has been disqualified (productions released outside of the game's timeframe)
No (number: 0) entry has been redacted

:arrow: How do we go from there?

Over the course of the next (hopefully) 24-48 hours (usually up to 6-12 hours maximum after the game has ended), I'll gather all links into one post and hot-link to that from the first post of the thread. Please, no more changes to your entries, but please do check your links that they're downloadable. We then perform with the "public vote" system.

We have 8 participants. That means that each participant can vote for 7 tracks, the staff will will not cast a balance vote.

Keep the Rules and Guidelines in mind. As long as we're not exceeding 20 participants, let's give feedback to all participants and(!) cast your vote for all of them.

The Top 20 list can look something like this:
01 (10 pts) - Mr Moon
02 (09 pts) - Mr Sun
03 (08 pts) - Mrs Venus
04 (07 pts) - Mr Mars and his companions
05 (06 pts) - ...
06 (05 pts) - ...

Please take a look at these posts for how your feedback and vote could look like (sans the super technical information):
viewtopic.php?p=2311#p2311
viewtopic.php?p=2478#p2478
viewtopic.php?p=2819#p2819
viewtopic.php?p=3522#p3522

Please cast your vote in collective form through the "spoiler text" bbcode:

Code: Select all

[spoil]01 participant
02 participant
03 participant[/spoil]
Please use the forum username of the participant to make it easier during the score collection to address what vote belongs to whom.

Please also take note of the Rules and Guidelines on giving feedback (mandatory for all participants, failing to do so results in a disqualification). Even if you already gave feedback prior to the deadline, please offer some final encouraging words, and maybe give some additional tips for improvements on the way.

Feedback from non-participants is highly encouraged (voting not needed!). The same goes for entries after the deadline, or those that do sadly not count for the current running game. Musicians and Engineers are always after constructive criticism. This is what this forum is about.

:arrow: I also need to address an overhaul of the game mechanics, starting with SWC038. You can read up about the new concept here:
viewtopic.php?p=8957#p8957

Basically, disqualifications will only happen from this point forward, if you have submitted a production from outside of the game's timeframe and you're not participating in the feedback process. Everything else is handled through bonus points. This overhauled mechanic is test run for September and November. If you don't want your bonus points go to waste, please update your posts with documentation by 3:00 (morning, German Time), and check that your files are properly named / downloadable.

Have some general feedback? Please voice your feedback/opinion/concerns here:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=97

Please have an eye on this thread! :tu:
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC039 November 2020 - Voting until 01-DEC-2020 23:59 UTC+1/CET

Post by Mister Fox »

Let us kick off the VOTING PROCESS, which will end on Tuesday, 01-DEC-2020 23:59 UTC+1/CET latest

There is a GLOBAL COUNTDOWN to check for deadlines.
Just follow this link: Global Countdown (on homepage)

Here is the collection of productions from all participants (in hope that I didn't forget anyone). As usual, if you click on the small upwards-arrow right beside the quoted name, you can jump to the original post and read up on the documentation for this production.

A Future in Noise wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 14:13 CET
"it"

wav 48/24: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1CkOhpt ... sp=sharing
gruskada wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 21:01 CET
"Everything's Just Great"

Olli H wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 17:09 CET
"My Heart Gathers Dust"

Wav: https://drive.google.com/file/d/10QLA65 ... sp=sharing
Doc Jon wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 18:03 CET
"Great British Holiday"

Blang wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 20:07 CET
"Dancin' in our Pyjamas"

WAV: https://drive.google.com/file/d/16XW3CE ... sp=sharing
becsei_gyorgy wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 21:03 CET
"SkAll In"

Shea wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 23:10 CET
"Get Lost"

WAV: https://www.dropbox.com/s/zoz96dpkgqc75 ... t.wav?dl=0
Slickster716 wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 23:59 CET
"Lets have a Party"

WAV: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jEeVN5 ... sp=sharing

BONUS ENTRIES (submitted after the deadline - feel free to give feedback, but you sadly can not vote for these entries)

<no bonus entries this month>

Please consult the last post of how your vote could look like (which links to more sources). And to make it simple for me for counting the votes - please use the forum usernames in your listing. Thank you!

SWC039 participants giving feedback to each other (to every participant) is mandatory, else you will be disqualified. Please also keep the bonus point game mechanic in mind.

Good luck to all participants! :tu:
A Future in Noise

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC039 November 2020 - Voting until 01-DEC-2020 23:59 UTC+1/CET

Post by A Future in Noise »

The Slickster716-link just won't work for me, although it was possible, just a few minutes ago, to listen to another entry, which was also uploaded at Google Drive.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

I've checked the link 3 times over the course of the last 30min from several browsers/devices. The realtime player might be a bit wonky, but downloading is possible.