2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC040 December 2020 - Winners announced

Thematic Songwriting Competition - recurrence: monthly
A Future in Noise

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC040 December 2020 - Voting until 03-JAN-2021 23:59 UTC+1/CET

Post by A Future in Noise »

Obviously I'm not taking part in the competition. This tune was originally meant for the spooky competition a month ago. I never finished then, and I didn't have time enough to do it this month either. After two months occasionally dealing with this composition, I have given in. I believe in the music, but I have to do the work continuously, not only now and then. But the parts off it I like, myself, are pretty good maybe. The title I had in mind for the spooky month was unfulfilled expectations.
TheVodouQueen

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC040 December 2020 - Voting until 03-JAN-2021 23:59 UTC+1/CET

Post by TheVodouQueen »

Hey Mr. Fox,

Sorry for the trouble my post made. >_<

I've expressed the concerns/questions of yours via Discord PM.

I'll try to make the necessary changes tonight and make a downloadable version of my song with the correct naming conventions available. :)
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

Hi everyone, I just updated the song collection post.

@VCA-089
I've added the additional downloads

@Brunnsqi
Thanks for unlocking the download button

@A Future in Noise
I've added your entry as "bonus entry". Thanks for that!

@TheVodouQueen
Great we sorted that out. :thumbsup:
TheVodouQueen

Post by TheVodouQueen »

I've made the changes as per your requests, Fox.

Double-check me, please. I did have to rip my original SoundCloud upload off and re-upload it, but the download should have the prescribed file naming convention now.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

Checked, and things are fine now.

Usually, a re-upload is not allowed... but let's end 2020 with some positivity!
EsteveCorbera

Post by EsteveCorbera »

Hello guys,
I am sending you my votes and my opinions. This time I rated whether I liked the music more or less. I haven’t done a few votes on a technical level as I’m still learning and some things won’t be detected.
I take this opportunity to wish you a happy new year !!
We hope that 2021 will be better than this 2020.

Note: Translated from Catalan through Google translator

Doc Jon "The Meaning Of Life"
The ethical touch of your theme gives it a ‘World Music’ feel, very much in line with the New Age, as it should be in this competition. I really like the feel of the synthesizer.
The voices are really very accomplished with an impeccable mix from my point of view again coming into this field. The effects are well achieved. A good job. You notice that you have experience from what you show on your Soundcloud.

TheVodouQueen "You Never Know What The Sun Will Bring, Setting Or Rising (feat FutureAnalysis & Eshar)"
Good work on percussion, varied and with an ethnic touch that looks pretty good. What I don't like so much is how the saxophone part looks, I find it poorly integrated into the whole. The voice that sounds alone from minute 6 is distorted due to the distance to the microphone which I don't find correct, but which you may have specifically wanted.

Olli H "I Guess It's Time To Go Now."
I like the New Age tone that immediately picks up on your theme. I really like this melody that sounds like a flute. I find it very cool. When the percussion with drums begins I find to him a more pronounced cresdendo to the melody. The bottom line is adequate. I really like your theme.

becsei_gyorgy "Brave New World"
A theme that goes up in intensity and emotion, leading you to a spectacular ending. It transports us to an ethnic world that world music. Very interesting percussive theme and the treatment of the voice in the theme. From a technical point of view there are not many faults. Really good

Blang "Hold On"
It reminds me a lot of the good New Age music of the golden age. I like Mike Oldfield’s guitar playing, the arpeggio synthesizer giving rhythm and the ambient synths. I must confess that I liked this type of music, especially the more electronic ones and not so much the ethnic ones that at the time were also called world music in the New Age category. You reminded me of those times, thank you.

Marius L "Story Teller"
I like the story you tell us about your music. That voice that laments and then sounds like a wind instrument that keeps writing the story of your story. With the arpeggiated notes that are repeated under your theme we looked better than the ones I put on my theme. I still have a lot to learn and competitions like these are good for me to grow.

Brunnsqi "Theta"
Hey, the sound of the Yamaha CS-80. How good !! What a great feeling, what wonders this instrument has given. You have drawn a simple melody that serves to enjoy the emulated sound of the CS-80. The downside to this topic is that it's too short and you don't give it time to evolve a bit, it's over.

Double Tap "Ambient Dec 2020"
Certainly, the theme of music immerses us in an ethereal atmosphere, along with the voice that accompanies it. The final part, with the floating synthesizers is fine, but the first part seems too much to fill. It is very difficult for him to reach the end. There’s a time when it seems like FXs don’t tie in with music. It didn't bother me until the end.

functionform "Out The Door"
Another sample of the more ethnic part of New Age music. With more tribal rhythms and voices, but with very modern sound effects and a very cool bass that ‘goes up’. The first part didn't bother me, but as the subject progressed, it caught my attention. You’ve made a topic that grows and gets more and more exciting. Very good boy !!

VCA-089 "Wild Energy"
One of the characteristics of New Age music was that it fused various styles of music. I think in your work you have succeeded. You start with a calm part and you evolve towards a more rhythmic part, as you say. The sound is achieved. You bring us wild energy!

Shea "KnewAge"
Relaxing atmosphere. With a worked sound, especially the sound effects. Although I don’t understand it too much, at times it seems to me that percussion is not tied to the melody. But maybe I'm wrong.
The work of the sound environment is noteworthy.

BONUS ENTRIES
A Future in Noise "Unfinished"
Very short and curious topic. This vintage-style melody gives it a cool festive touch. As I was told two competitions ago, it seems that you lack a bit of structure in the subject, it seems that it is a union of several ideas. But you may not be able to finish it.
► Show Spoiler
becsei_gyorgy

Post by becsei_gyorgy »

Hi guys! Happy New Year to everyone!

The genre was completely unknown to me this month.
Therefore, I don’t even really know what criteria I should evaluate when looking at the genre.
How "new age"-ish are the songs? I have no idea, after all, I couldn’t pinpoint exactly what I should be doing exactly this month. :smile:
I see some who have created a song similar to the original "new-age yoga music" but there are completely different creations as well.
In addition to the composition of the songs, I also tried to pay attention to the good sounds and mix.

:arrow: Doc Jon - The Meaning Of Life
Nice synth sounds, tasteful song.
I also like the vocal parts.
Mix is good as always.
Great overall.

:arrow: EsteveCorbera - A New World about Us
Nice intro, nice development in the beginning. I like the progression.
It lasts until 1:23, from where it is as if an AI music editor is taking control :hmmm:
Too bad because so far quite promising.
After the great start the piano seems very accidental and the sound image is also became mid-oriented. There is no bass or treble either.
(Mix: I think there are some phase issues as well.)
Overall: great start, promising song, just keep up the good work until the end.

:arrow: TheVodouQueen - You Never Know What the Sun Will Bring, Setting or Rising (feat. FutureAnalysis & Eshar)
Ah it's not very common to have sample-based music here, I'm glad you have one.
A few months ago (in the month of lo-fi hip hop) I saw some videos (e.g. Sarah2ill) and saw that it’s not easy to create a song like this. I prefer midi VST's and go crazy if I have to work with too many samples, so I appreciate anyone who makes music that way.
It has a special pleasant atmosphere. With the breaks, it’s like getting 3 (or 4) songs in one :smile:
It is quite hip-hop in the background (percussion, accentuated deep bass).
First part: maybe there are too many "tape stop" effect. If I look at the composition the second part is my favourite but brass samples could sit better on the mix. Nice song overall.

:arrow: OlliH - I Guess its Time To Go Now
Catchy chorus part. Nice instrument sounds.
Pleasant, calm song, fits the genre.
If I were to do something different: maybe instead of flute I would sometimes put it in the foreground e.g. the violin to carry the melody. Overall, the song brings a very good "Kitaro" feel. Like.

:arrow: Blang - Hold On
Interesting ambient music and dominant synth arpeggio. Nice overall.
It's pleasant but it would be a little more relaxing if the resonant high tones were duller.
Overall nice, but I feel the song is a bit empty. It’s like a semi-finished song.

:arrow: Marius L - Story Teller
I like the start with the arpeggio. Create nice atmosphere, nice development from the beginning. Great dreamy song.
It seems that this is not your first song in this genre.
I’m amazed because it’s over 5 minutes, ambient style and I’ve been watching it all along. :smile: :clap:
It shows that you put it together well by the way.

:arrow: Brunnsqi - Theta
A bit short piece but nice synth melody.
Unfortunately the drums are completely dry and barely audible, especially when compared to the full, reverbed sound of synths.
The melody is good, but the dynamics of the song are weak, the synths sound the same throughout.
It would be a good song, it needs to be improved a bit.

:arrow: Double Tap - Tribs003Moodys
More like ambient song. Good choice the opera vocal, I like it very much.
In terms of composition I often feel the parts are improvisations, not intentional composition (eg. flute part).
Mix: Too much low mid. The low synth sound is too dominant, the vocals should be more pronounced.

:arrow: Functionform - Out The Door
I like the world music vibe.
Catchy melody, nice vocal samples. The song is well structured, I like it.
Mix: Plus point for a nice (mono) low-end.

:arrow: VCA-089 - Wild Energy
Nice but a bit long intro(s).
Soundtrack feeling. There are some great sounds; nice story and development.
The last part is my favourite.
Overall nice song. A bit loud and could be a bit shorter :smile: .

:arrow: Shea - KnewAge
Traditional newage vibe I think.
The song is a slow-flowing stream, but it builds well and moves forward :smile:
This is perhaps a more traditional oriental-based version of the new age genre (?).
Overall tasteful, interesting composition with good sound choices. Maybe the drums could sound a little less metallic, but that’s just personal taste. The song is great.
► Show Spoiler
Brunnsqi

Post by Brunnsqi »

Those votes were not an easy task, let me tell you!

Contestants kept moving up and down my list every time I gave the tracks another listen, and some of you were even tied for sometime. The tiebreaker was not easy, either.

Rest assured it was extremely hard to give you feedback, as I'm clearly not a pro and some of you obviously know your stuff. Some songs seemed technically perfect, but as with any music I bet the flaws are there, right? ;)
So when I listened to every track I tried to weight the flaws I was able to spot and the impact the music itself left on me.

Before I begin, I ask you to forgive me if my choice of words sounds repetitive. My english reading is ok, but my writing is far from perfect, so please bear with me. :)

To the feedback, then:

Doc Jon - "The Meaning Of Life"
Nice and polished, catchy and very well mixed.
Everything seems to be in the right place - you obviously know what you're doing.
Groovy bassline!

EsteveCorbera - "A New World About Us"
Very pleasing and soothing.
I don't know exactly how to put it, but let's try: the piano seems to be occasionally "adrift" in my opinion. Tame it and then you're on another level :)
On a nitpick note, the chimes sound a little "rigid" to my ears - like it was the same sample repeated over time.

TheVodouQueen - "You Never Know What The Sun Will Bring, Setting Or Rising (feat FutureAnalysis & Eshar)"
I think the general idea is good, the percussion that starts around 4:30 caught my attention. But to my ears some elements are not working together, notably the sax, which I feel is a little loud. The voice from 6:00 onwards could use some noise suppression IMO.

Olli H - "I Guess It’s Time To Go Now"
Well done! Catchy melody!
You mentioned Kitaro, but to my surprise this sounds somewhat peruvian.
It happened when I first listened to Kitaro's Caravansary as well.
I guess I'm just weird... :)

becsei_gyorgy - "Brave New World"
This piece could easily be on a movie soundtrack!
A powerful harmony and beautiful and evocative melody. Congrats, sir!

Blang - "Hold On"
New agey and calming, good synth sequence. As with Olli's, the melody stayed in my head after I listened to it. Maybe it's just me being picky, but the kalimba harmonics seemed a little bit odd to my ears, clashing with the other instruments.

Marius L - "Story Teller"
The synth sequence in the beginning reminded me a bit of Jarre and even Enya's Aldebaran.
Then it turns into something entirely different. Very, very interesting!

Double Tap - "Ambient Dec 2020"
I like the elements you chose, there are some interesting phrases all around, but overall I think it lacks a little contrast.

functionform - "Out The Door"
This track reminded me somewhat of Deep Forest.
At first I thought you should try giving the bass synth a little more release. Then I listened to it a second time and I think it works fine just as it is.

VCA-089 - "Wild Energy"
Well it IS dark, just like 2020. And it sounds good, but in my view it deviates too much from the genre.

Shea - "KnewAge"
That's really good! I like how your track builds up nicely and slowly. In my view one of the main aspects of New Age is its usually introspective mood and that sometimes sometimes it tries to lead us to meditative states. IMO you achieved that.

BONUS ENTRIES:

A Future in Noise - "Unfinished"
It could be that your biggest struggle lies not in the song itself, but in the VSTs you have chosen.
Take the bass, for example: you could try another instrument like "Ample Bass P Lite" and run it through something "TSE B.O.D." (both free).
If you think you can't keep trying improving the song, just let it be for a while and start working on another piece of music. Then come back to it later.
Summing up, try new tones, change the sounds a bit, and then give it another shot.

Well, that's it. I hope I didn't offend anyone and that next year will be much better for us all!
► Show Spoiler
TheVodouQueen

Post by TheVodouQueen »

Hi.

Here's my votes & feedback.

Sorry if I am extremely short on any feedback given. Having a bit of a bad week, as in depression and can't keep my head on straight long enough to focus on one thing, but I know these (rightfully) need to be done. You all worked hard on them. :) I just started making music in Sept 2020, so my ability to comment on more technical aspects of the craft isn't up to snuff, but I'll try to make the best objective comments I can despite how my brain has been acting lately.

I'm also sorry if my song is lacking / uninteresting / kinda crap. I tried my best with the limited DAW I'm using, and although I grew up surrounded by jazz, hip-hop, lo-fi and new age-style music, I guess my ear for it is shot and that reflected in the song (based on some of the critiques I've seen for it and the pts so far.) Guess it's just terrible. Sorry again.

Hope everyone's 2020 ends on a positive note and 2021 is a brighter year...gods know some of us need it...

I hope none of my commentary is taken the wrong way. Despite hating my own song, all of yours was a thrill to listen to, and enlightening. ♥

----

:!: Doc Jon - "The Meaning of Life":

As a lot of people have noted, it really looks like you know what you're doing. The synths are great and build into the vocals really well. I never felt bored the entire time listening to it, and the vocals are real fly and balance so well with everything else. I don't really have anything 'negative' to say about the piece, other than I wish it had a bit of a heavier percussion or bass bottom in some sections. I felt it needed it, but how exactly I am unsure.

:!: Esteve Corbera - "A New World About Us":

It starts out oddly dark and like it's about to segue into darker synthwave, but the lighter tones and chimes afterward were quite surprising (in a good way). Reflects the year in a nutshell quite well. My only complaint, if one can call it that, is that the song made me feel like I was running in place, not towards any one goal. I am unsure if that was the intent, but it felt a bit stagnant and non-progressive. It's a pretty piece, and I like the piano / percussion, but I think the addition of more mid-to-low tone instruments and some form of drums or bass would've made the steps to the end feel more gradual and natural.

:!: Olli H - "I Guess It's Time To Go Now":

It reminds me of music from Chrono Cross (which right off the bat is a plus, at least for me). Feels like the outro to a children's movie, after we all learned its themes and the meaning of its metaphors. The flute throughout is gorgeous, and the bit of deeper drum hits were spot on. Very much on the lighter side of tribal music. Nice progression. Nothing struck out to me as overly bad or needed work on. I think it wanders a bit towards the mid-to-late sections of the song, but you pulled it back into the bridge well enough. Good job.

:!: Becsei Gyorgy - "Brave New World":

Immediate Gladiator (the movie starring Russell Crowe) OST vibes. Quite nice vocals, with an Enya-esque backing. I think somewhere in the game rules for this theme, Mr. Fox tried to dissuade us from easily going into cinematics territory with bombastic and outstanding orchestral riffs in our songs, but I think you did well to hold it back and not go off the deep end with it (which I could easily see happening by the 1:30 mark). Despite that, however, I think you could've pushed the brass and drum sections a bit more by 3:00, just a tad. I heard nothing clash, and the vocals seemed balanced. Only sad point is I think it ended too early, and had more room to grow and expand without become a cinematic blockbuster OST.

:!: Blang - "Hold On":

That opening bar got me, real good. I like good vibraphone / xylophone / marimba sounds, and it opened to us as the audience up from the start. Felt light and sweet to listen to, and the acoustic guitar reminded me of another song (equally as good). I like the synthwave / vapourwave feeling of the background to this. It does feel like something that'd suit a moment of 'hanging on', in many broad extents. Kind of feels like it's meant for the soundtrack of a movie about AI, or something sciency. The minimalist effect with the instrumentation suited this one. Nothing bad came to mind listening to it. Good job.

:!: Marius L - "Story Teller":

Another futuristic-sounding song. :) The whispy-click percs were quite a nice feature. Does sound like something befitting 'to tell a story' to, perhaps of a time long since past? A bit Glitch Mob-ish to me, which I like (insofar as the stranger sounds and percussion). I like the vocals but I think they were a tad bit too loud for the song and might've needed a bit of compression. I wish more could've been done with the baseline of the song. You have a lot of lows and some mids, but not a lot of highs. If that was purposeful, that's okay. If not, some form of maybe woodwinds or strings might've helped expand the song that tad bit. The minimalist effect here worked but only up till I felt that it needed more top-end registers. But I do very much like the future-mood of the song & genre.

:!: Brunnsqi - "Theta":

Very whimsical, watery-sounding song. I think you mentioned before you're also pretty new to music-making? This is pretty amazing to me, as far as I feel, for someone using Cakewalk rather than just BandLab Online (like me)--and it's obviously not working out for all my song ventures thus far. I appreciate the work done in this. I felt it was way too short, but a bit over 2 minutes is a lot of work, especially in dealing with whatever plugins and VSTs you have available. Real good work. I look forward to hearing more in the future. My only niggle is the song doesn't overly go anywhere (not much progression, as they call it), but it ends solidly.

:!: Double Tap - "Ambient Dec 2020":

I like the synth / arp works at the beginning. A moody sort of tribal take, and definitely ambient. Oddly, I don't think the soft operatic vocals works for this. Apologies. It felt a bit out of place with the primarily percussion-heavy-style of this piece. I think you would've benefited either with a non-operatic vocal (more abstract vox) or none at all. But I can see you tried to work it in. I like the bit of woodwinds added midway through the song. I feel this is another one that might've benefited with more lower-registers (besides the pad / arp) to push progression. Nice work nonetheless. I think there's a lot of room for improvement on this one, and I do really like the mood it sets.

:!: FunctionForm - "Out the Door":

Very, very lovely percussion / woodwind / brass-works. It's strange this is one of the few songs out of the selection which took a lot more of an energetic pace and feel to the new age genre, whereas a lot of us took the more meditative / slow-burn side of the genre. The vocals sound like African chants. It really fits the aesthetic, well done. I kind of expected steel / kettle drums to come out of left field with this slight take on like a war chant going on, but was pleasantly surprised by the 2:12 mark when you warmed up the center a bit more the added volume to the mid-section and the addition of a wide berth of echo sounds and tremolo. Good balance between the bass and treble. Love the pacing, and I am glad someone took the fast-pace route with their tempo. :)

:!: VCA-089 - "Wild Energy":

Hmm... I listened to this, a couple of times, and you know what? I'll have to kindly disagree with those who say this isn't "new age" enough. I think more work can be done to bring out those elements more and more on an equal ground with the darker, synthwave subtext of the song, and yeah it kind of slips into the more alternative / industral rock sound, but the chords and slight tribal percussion I can hear from it more than qualifies as new age, to me. Nowhere did it say you couldn't have a slight blend or 'bend' in genre, and despite me saying I think it could've had more top-end done to it, the percussion and vox vibrato with the digerydoo / flute sound is quite beautiful. 2021 could be a good year--but it can also still hold that danger of still being crap. Such is the dangers of a new year. And this song reflects that, I believe. It doesn't have the sounds of hopefulness, but of fighting to break through another possible bad year.

:!: Shea - "KnewAge":

Love the meditative / Indian sound with the guitar / harp. Beautiful with the bird song ambience. This was refreshing to listen to, like "Out the Door". I heard most songs took a more Native American-shtick to the underlayer and percussion, so it's nice to hear the few who went more Eastern / Middle-Eastern / African with their new age genre. Gorgeous yet simple drum-work. This piece benefited well from the top-to-mid sounds being the primary, rather than secondary or tertiary sound. Yet, it still has a bottom layer you can clearly hear, but is not overpowering. One of the most balanced songs of the bunch. I enjoyed it a lot. :)

~ BONUS ~

A Future in Noise - "Unfinished":

Interesting opening with mostly soft whispering winds, and the bell strokes. I agree with others that this song has quite a bit going for it, but could do with a lot more. I also agree that it sounds like you were slightly working against what you were using, rather than it slipping in and fitting with your overall aesthetic. I am also unsure if this is 'new age' in its fullest. Kind of sounds like pirate music to me, or something befitting that style of OST. Regardless, it's a good start. :) And the strange noises towards the end were cute.
► Show Spoiler
Blang

Post by Blang »

Hi All,

I hope you have a nice new age and find something useful in the feedback!

Doc Jon "The Meaning Of Life"

Yeah, sweet swung beat! Reminiscent of a 90's drumloop, but with a modern hiphop feel and sound. All elements seem very fitting to the genre. I especially, dig the plucked lead synth with it's catchy simple melody. The Faithless style “Meaning of life” became a bit cheesy when it repeating often and because of its loudness in the mix. I love the 'Gregorian 10cc I'm not in Love' choir in the end. But I prefer it when it's still not so loud in the mix (around 3:00). Because that piano hook really brings it home. Minor thingy: In the semi breakdown around 2:30 there are a lo of voices at once, which make it a bit too cluttered for me.

TheVodouQueen "You Never Know What The Sun Will Bring, Setting Or Rising (feat FutureAnalysis & Eshar)"

Okay, there is a lot going on in this piece. A lot of the sounds you chose have a nice sonic quality, but they do not always work together in a way that makes musical sense to me; Especially, harmonically. The whole sounds more like a lofi hiphop track with some ethic instruments. It also sounded like a few different pieces to me, but I can read that that is intentional: the rising and setting of the sun: daybreak -> midday -> dusk -> dawn.
The opening chords definitely sounded jazzy to me, with very... spicy notes. A bit too spicy for me. But what I think is going on that a lot of your melody instruments are not in the same key are the harmony. Because the autotuned vocal seems centered around Bb major while the harmony is in Bb minor (= C# major) I believe. The horns do seem to be in Bb minor pentatonic, but out of tune. and in those parts the vocal clashes because it is still in Bb major. Rhythmically and sound wise you seem to have things well in order, so you know what aspects to work on.

EsteveCorbera - "A New World About Us"

The synths and chords create very calming vibe and fitting to the genre. The chord changes are a bit fast though. Slowing down the harmonic rhythm and/or tempo might make it even more holistic and mellow. The piano could blend better with the rest if you decrease the midi velocity and add some space /reverb. The single note piano melodies could perhaps be stretched out to half time and be played more legato (or with sustain pedal). Now they don't feel as big as the rest of the sounds.
Chimes sound a bit cheesy to me, especially because they are quite often it's the exact same sample everytime. Making them softer (and less bright) and adding some reverb would already help a lot I think.

Olli H "I Guess It's Time To Go Now."

Calming, holistic, easy to listen through without it getting boring! The timpani sounds too epic to fit with the rest. Reducing the volume would already help a great deal. I think they would still work at the verge of being audible. The pieve also reminded me of the music in the Studio Ghibli movies of the 80's; mainly because of the flute sound and melodies. At 0:40 the Bb in the flute sounds like it should have been an A. Later at 2:58 the passing tone C# caught my ear as slightly to funky. If it were more reinforced by the harmony it might work better.

Nerdy mixnotes: ac guitar could be a bit louder (and compressed) for it carries groove, harmony and melody! some bass notes are sticking out. I think it has to do with midi velocity. Some compression could also help even it out and make the notes sustain longer.

becsei_gyorgy "Brave New World"

Smack My Bitch Up - The Prodigy (3:00). That's the same vocal sample in the intro right? Hahaha, let's just say it out me in a not so new agey mood :P That vocal is very fitting to the genre, so I definitely see why you used it. The composition as a whole sounds more like an epic, adventure film score. Especially for those drums and strings. Perhaps you could make a more distinct choice between what is lead at the moment. From 1:10 on, the synth flute seem to have the lead melody, but the voice is jamming over it louder and more upfront. Cool modulation around 3:00, not very new agey, but nice nonetheless.

Marius L "Story Teller"

Nice fluttering, rhythmic synth opening. The whole track is mellow, but with an ominous feeling (yes also melancholic like you described it). Probably mostly because of the minor key. The cricket/trap hihat sounds bit distracting to me because it so close and bright. I think it also also to that ominous vibe. The melody that enters around 1:00 has a very nice new age sound, but it's so soft that it doesn't feel like the lead. The voice that follows is quite loud though; it's taking over the track, but the sound fx work really well. Funny that the wind instrument (duduk?) sound synthetic but still blends in a very organic way. Nice! The fade out felt a bit weird, like it was fading out multiple times. Stuff faded out... and came back.

Brunnsqi "Theta"

It seems like you have studied the genre well. The lead synth really sounds like mellower version of Vangelis - Alpha. Except for the drum kit all sounds, melodies and harmonies are spot on! You might have been studying it too much, because the main melody sounds plagiarized from Behind the Waterfall - Paul Speer. That song is a semitone higher, but the repeating: F# G D melody seems too close for coincidence. I'm not saying this was done on purpose (this is not a courtroom), but I have to mention it. I'm curious to hear what you and the others have to say about this.
Some development and variation would be nice to make the piece sound like a complete story, but the vibe is very fitting to genre and brief.

Double Tap "Ambient Dec 2020"

Nice raindrop-like marimba part! Relaxed, subtle build. Brushes might be slightly polemic; are they a bit loud and wide or is it a nice ASMR element :) The opera voice seems to epic to fit with the rest. The flute sound take takes over the lead around 3:00 fits better IMO. The melodies do sound a bit random all the time. It would be nice to have at least one memorable line. Sometimes there was an F# in the melody creating a (leading tone) tension that felt a bit out of place.
At the end 4:50 the opera voice does work for me. A nice conclusion to the piece.

functionform "Out The Door"

Nice panflute sounds, dig the 16th note string instrument groove. Both fitting to the genre, but also.. cool! The drumsound does not really fit the mood or genre in my opinion, bit to 'electronic' for lack of better words. Hmm, I guess it could be a modern take on the 90's new age drumloop. The composition could do with more dynamics; it feels like we've already reached max density when the choir enters. It's really a relief hen the choir goes away around 2:45, but that busy section before took too long for me. This transition also feels a bit coarse how some elements are cutoff. Around 4:00 this choir is softer and works a lot better. Still this constant emphasis on the 1 and the (rhythmic) unclarity of the choir don't really allow me to chill out. Actually, just reducing the highs on the choir might just tie the whole song together...

VCA-089 "Wild Energy"

Nice build up. However when the toms enter, they make certain promise: “shit is gonna go down and get EPIC!”. The howlin' wolves and dissonant pad emphasize this promise. And... you deliver when the beat drops. This composition has little to do with new age styles and the brief in particular, so I decided to give feedback in respect to what it sounds like to me: Epic Sci-Fi Movie soundtrack. The hi-hat is quite bright and upfront in regards the the other percussion. I think the snare would sound more energetic if the hi-hat was a bit softer / duller. The two times the beat enters it could be more intense by for example by muting elements before adding a riser.

Shea "KnewAge"

Nice build and sound design. Really dig the plucked string instruments; it fits nice on top of the mellow pad. The reversed strings/guitar sound a bit creepy to me, but not too much too take me out of the 'chill zone'. The drums that come in around 2:00 sound a tad aggressive and bright to me; it grabs more attention than the melodies. When the drums die down the calmness that emerges is very nice though. All in all very fitting to genre but with a slight modern take!
► Show Spoiler