2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC042 February 2021 - Winners announced

Thematic Songwriting Competition - recurrence: monthly
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC042 February 2021 - Voting until 01-MAR-2021 23:59 UTC+1/CET

Post by Mister Fox »

A friendly reminder:
We're in the final 24 hours to submit your feedback and cast your vote.

Please don't let yourself be disqualified by not participating. The Songwriting Competition lives from the given feedback towards each other.
SoundBeing

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC042 February 2021 - Voting until 01-MAR-2021 23:59 UTC+1/CET

Post by SoundBeing »

Greetings from a SoundBeing.

Thanks for this. It was really a great and new experience for me. I enjoyed listening to your work and I hope being critical comes with a sense that we're all taking risks but hopefully with the right intent. Here's my breakdown:

Bescei Gyorgy - Never Again
A very expressive track for sure. There are some great melodic things happening here especially in the organ and guitar melodically. I love then beginning bouncy keys, very hooky. I'm way into the expressive vocal that's wailing in there as well. Gives some real emotion. I think it could use something organically percussive in the higher register, to keep the rhythm from feeling so stiff. Sometimes I get a little lost in all the changes. But! Nice theremin in there giving the feel vibes. I don’t know if I feel this to be a psychedelic song, especially by the end of the song. It’s almost like a wedding dance at the end. I think you could have faded it out before that part actually. Like a soft fade on the 3:50 mark after that sweet revisit to the beginning of the track.

Gruskada - Yesterday is History
I really like the Eastern “NI Yangqin” in there, excellent choice. That’s the element that truly psychs this one out for me. Overall, it’s a very avant garde track. The spoken word sometimes has this crispy upper register that is a little distracting for me, mostly in the first passage. From the 5/4 to the 4/4 flows seamlessly, which is cool. I like the sonic fireworks in the production that keep things interesting. For instance; the effects on the 2nd vocal passage that dance after each phrase. Very nice! And there’s unique evolution in the sound from the beginning to the end of the track. Dude shreds at the end, haha. That dreamy keys part (@ 2:31 - 2:45) is so nice. My favorite part of the song actually.

Shea - Living the Dream
A sonic sound collage. There are some wonderful subtleties to this track that I’m captivated by. And of course the bass is moving the groove very nicely. Makes my face snarl a little while I listen, in a great way. This feels more in the realm of a modern “lounge” track. It has that laid back groove that you can just roll your windows down kick it to. But again, there are so many wonderful little things going on that I just absolutely wonder around in. The soft piano that has a little synth twinkle behind it. Just great! The little bending notes poking in and out and then wavering off. The Star Wars lazer beams. Thumbs up.

A Future in Noise - The Meaning of Life
Certainly psychedelic in sonics and sounds. But that vocal needs some love. Less reverb and more tape saturated overdrive would do the trick for me. I mean this song screams psychedelic 60’s to me and I love that about it. It’s almost like a Scott Walker song that’s been tickled more than most. I like how simple the overall production is. There’s not a million things going on. Just enough and it’s all there. “mediocrity to a door, and saviors by the door, one way ticket, forevermore, to desert you is to score”, by far my favorite lyric in this competition.

Blang - Interplanetary Explanator
This track, from 20 seconds in, has me. I love the groove and crunching sonics. Then the openness of the verse is so sweet. And there are just some cool feels and vibes in this track. I like the time changes. Real drums would take this to another level. We’re all stuck inside with our DAWs and it shows in the way drums come across on most of these tracks. But the vocals are dreamy and fresh. My take away from this track and a lot of the others is all of your abilities to add these lush textures that float in and out and around the songs. Really great work! Now, is this a psychedelic song, not really. The lyrics are more so than the overall sound of the song. But, it’s a really good one!
► Show Spoiler
gruskada

Post by gruskada »

There were some really cool songs for this contest.

SoundBeing - Don't Bail
Great-sounding drums, great vocals, and really nice song overall. This is a great performance! I wish it was longer - a guitar solo would have fit nicely here I think. Cool sound around 1:48 - is that a guitar? The psychedelic sound is hard for me to pin down, but I think you got at least some of it. Sorry to hear about your studio - that really sucks.

Becsei György - Never Again
Nice organ sound throughout. The theremin slots in nicely without being overdone. The vocals sometimes fit nicely, and sometimes are too much for me. I like the fast piano in the background starting around 4:00. Overall, this doesn't sound too psychedelic to me, though.

Shea - Living The Dream
The dissonant organ sounds are a bit rough for me. The spoken word breaks are interesting and fit well with the track. The repeating notes in the left speaker get a bit much for me, once I noticed they kept repeating. I like the fuzz guitar sound a lot, especially at 3:43, although the solo borders on being noodly. Really nice bass sound and lines at the end.

AFutureInNoise - The Meaning Of Lifre
The first 20 seconds are perfect. The vocals are not my style, but they fit. I like the section starting at 2:19. Really tasty organ playing. I like the somewhat disjointed nature of the song as well. It fits with your theme. This song grew on my with multiple listens.

This song nails the psychedelic vibe for me. The fuzz guitars sound great. You're doing something tricky with the time sigs on the guitar riff at (odd time against 4/4 drums, maybe?). Whatever it is, it's really interesting. The vocals have the 60's vibe I wanted to go for myself, but knew I couldn't pull off. They are well sung, too. The riff at 1:12 moves things along nicely. The guitar solo is good as well, and the quick part at 2:42 is perfect - it reminds me of Adrian Belew's guitar antics. The buildups back to the driving riff are executed perfectly. I don't really have any criticism for this song. The genre is really not my type of music, but I've downloaded it so I can hear it some more. Awesome job.
► Show Spoiler
Shea

Post by Shea »

Sound Being - I like your forum name... cool double meaning there. Song was catchy from start with a rock/bluesy vibe. Vocals first reminded me of Joe Bonamassa and then Robert Plant with the "don't go" yell/singing. Good rock vibe and solid song that lacks some psychedelicness and could've been longer to feel more complete. Well done

Bescei Gyorgy - Interesting intro with organ that sounds very 60's and 70's. Vocals were pretty much there but lacked a little something I can't put my finger on. Nice organ and guitar work that complimented each other. Song had a cinematic feel... could feel the storyline. Overall nice song that felt a little long as it didn't hold my complete attention the whole time.

Gruskada - Immediate rock, almost metal feel. A bit too hard for genre but the asian plucks help bring it back. Interesting guitar work and vocals that draw listener in. Vibe felt kind of like a bad trip though with the heaviness of it. It starts to resolve around 2:30 but then back into a bad trip... not something I would want to listen to on a psychedelic journey.

A Furtue In Noise - Great flute intro that dripped 60'sness. This song felt like it was out of that era more than all others. Definitely on theme. Interesting lyrics although didn't quite hold my attention for whatever reason. Good instrumentation for genre. Nice job.

Blang - Cool beatles vibe song!! Interesting lyrics that held my attention. Nice guitar work. Production was well done and would've benefitted from more implemented 'trippy' effects in the mixing process - like more creative use of reverbs and delays - that would've completed the psychedelicness goal.
► Show Spoiler
becsei_gyorgy

Post by becsei_gyorgy »

SoundBeing - Don't Bail
Nice song, create good atmosphere. There are melancholic blues elements, nice vocal.
A real guitar solo would have fit, and a closure is missing.
Good job overall. Cleverly composed, with good instrumentation.
Nice mix.

gruskada - Yesterday Is History
Good start, throws me into the 70s right at the beginning. I like the tone of the guitar. The initial vocals and oriental mood together hit me very well. Nice.
1:10-1:36 interesting nice little elements that keep your attention very well.
I like the guitar play all the way, at the end the more distorted sounds are also good.

Shea - Living The Dream
Nice chill music with interesting fx's and ambient elements (maybe you should have saved for this month :smile: ) Just because I think some elements don’t fit there and the ambient background is a bit more dominant than it should be.
The youtube parts are more of a lo-fi hip-hop feature than 70s music for me. (The lo-fi distorted guitar at the end it just confirms that).
The song itself is good and enjoyable with interesting sounds and good rhythm variations.

A Future In Noise - The Meaning Of Life
Very good start, great mellotron sound, nice vocal, cool progression, I like it very much.
After the pause the atmosphere reminds me a medieval historical singing story. The parts of the song musically are independent stories and made by different musical solutions. So it doesn’t really put me together into a complete song.
It’s a shame because the start is brilliant.
Overall good instrumentation, pleasant vocal parts but the psychedelic line is missing.

I can’t write much about it, it’s very well prepared. The mix, the musical elements, the vocals, the arrangement are also good. What would I change? Those drums would have to be filled with a little more life :smile:
► Show Spoiler
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC042 February 2021 - results in preparation

Post by Mister Fox »

It's the 02nd March 2021, 04:00 (UTC+1/CET) - the Voting Period has officially ended.

Sadly, not all participants have submitted some final feedback, we therefore have 1 disqualification (@A Future in Noise).

I will post the results within the next 24-48 hours, please have an eye on this thread.
(this is not an automated process)
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC042 February 2021 - Winners announced

Post by Mister Fox »

Ladies and Gentlemen, here are the results of Songwriting Competition 42

:arrow: The winners podium consists of:
  1. @Blang (53 pts)
  2. @SoundBeing (48 pts)
  3. @gruskada (44 pts)

Apologies for the waiting time, this is not an automated process.

<4 participant rule is not in use (staff comments and votes)
We have 1 disqualification (due to lack of feedback, see overhauled game mechanics)
We have 0 withdrawn entries
We have 0 votes after the deadline
We have 2 users that tied
  • Shea has 1x9pts, 0x8pts, 1x7pts -- becsei_gyorgy has 0x9pts, 1x8pts, 2x7pts -- Shea therefore scores higher
"Sole (License) Winner" rule does apply - 1-position Winners Podium

Additional short explanation
  • in fairness to all participants involved, I have withdrawn 2 points from @Blang due to a lack of mentioning used equipment (bar minimum: instruments)
  • @SoundBeing's entry was the only one that exceeded -14LUFS and -1dBTP
  • @A Future in Noise sadly did not join the voting process and has therefore been disqualified (the end results might have looked different)

Here are the results as chart in image form:

Thank you so much for your participation. :clap:

:arrow: License selection:

We'll now perform with the usual. Selecting licenses is handled in public. Please select one license/company out of the pool (in order of the winners podium) and mention it in this thread, then (important) please get in touch with me (via PM) with your full name, email address and your license selection.

As usual - you're not forced to pick up anything. You can pass and therefore offer more to select for the next person in line (if there is a spot existing / not available for "sole winner" mechanic). Just let all participants/winners/the staff know in a timely manner. Once one company has been selected, it's out of the pool for the next person on the podium.

Feedback about the "Songwriting Competition" is welcome (please do so here).

See you in in the next challenge!

Songwriting Competition 043 (March 2021) is still in full swing.
Please help spread the word to get the Songwriting Competition to 15-20 participants on average during 2021. :help:
SoundBeing

Post by SoundBeing »

Congrats @Blang , a well deserved victory!

Let's play again! Woot!! :tu:
Blang

Post by Blang »

SoundBeing wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:47 CET
Congrats @Blang , a well deserved victory!

Let's play again! Woot!! :tu:
Thanks @SoundBeing, looking forward to hearing more of you!
Blang

Post by Blang »

Thanks everyone for all your comments! I hope you came closer to the meaning of life :)

The Tone2 Saurus2 is prize of my choice.

I agree with the comments that 'real' drums would really give the track more life. I actually recorded drums, but didn't have the time to dail in the right sound and playing (I'm not a drummer). But you can hear some remnants of these drums in the prechorus ("So you wanna know"). I put an sm57 laying on my snare, literally, through my pedalboard for some verb en reversed delay (100% wet). I hope Eddie Kramer would be proud :P

@gruskada
The guitar solo is good as well, and the quick part at 2:42 is perfect - it reminds me of Adrian Belew's guitar antics.
Cool, thanks! that's actually my favorite part of the track. I comped the solo from a few takes. This lick I liked, but it was too high to fit with the rest so I pitched it down an octave. That's why it also sounds kinda funky.