2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

Community Scramble (SWC053 January 2022) - Sample Collection Thread - Submission Period has ended

Thematic Songwriting Competition - recurrence: monthly
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Community Scramble (SWC053 January 2022) - Sample Collection Thread - Submission Period has ended

Post by Mister Fox »

Hello and welcome to the Special Songwriting Competition - Community Scramble (2022)

This thread covers the first part of our yearly recurring challenge - collecting samples - which are then used in the actual Songwriting Competition in January 2022 (SWC053) as basis for every participant. And that also marks the biggest twist of this game - you are only allowed to use the provided samples to create music out of it.

How, is totally up to you. You can use sampling/re-sampling techniques, granular synthesis, wavetable synthesis, you can mangle the sounds with modulation techniques. As long as you only use what has been provided by the community in form of sound snippets and/or samples. Vocals can be added on top.

Until January 2021, the use of other sound sources were not allowed. Maybe it's time for a small game mechanic adjustment, to shake this particular challenge up a little bit. If you have always been sitting on the fence with the "Community Scramble" Songwriting Competition, then please join the following conversation as well, and let me know what you think:

Poll: Songwriting Competition - Community Scramble - should we change the game concept?

You can read up more about this idea and the last "Community Scramble(s)" here:
Songwriting Competition - new game idea: Community Scramble
Songwriting Competition - SWC041 January 2021 (Community Scramble)
Songwriting Competition - SWC029 January 2020 (Community Scramble)
Songwriting Competition - SWC017 January 2019 (Community Scramble)

Image Source: Pixabay, photo by Nachrichten_muc, released under Creative Commons CC0

:arrow: GENERAL INFORMATION

Time Frame: Monday, 01st November 2021 to Friday, 24th December 2021 (54 days)

Sample submission will end on Friday, 24-12-2021, 23:59 UTC+1/CET (Germany) - until further notice.

The deadline is the same as for SWC052. Please check in with the Global Countdown on it's dedicated page or the countdown on the home page. There will be reminders via the Newsletter, Twitter account and Facebook page.

Overall rules: The rules of the Songwriting Competition apply, with the main difference that you're (currently) not allowed to use any other sound source than the ones provided from this sample collection thread.

How to submit sample content:
  • each community member shall ideally provide no more than three (number: 3) self-created sounds, with five (number: 5) being the absolute maximum
  • This must not be from free sample packages, but created by yourself. This material can be synthetic in nature or a Foley type recording (please keep things appropriate!), anything from single hits and stabs, to loops
  • the material must be in 44/24 WAV bar minimum, and 96/24 WAV absolute maximum
  • the material shall ideally not peak higher than -1.00 dBFS to prevent clipping
  • IMPORTANT: bundle the following filled out TXT, which adds full credits to your work (download TXT)
  • the samples and TXT must be packed in a ZIP or RAR, then uploaded to any file storage to your liking (recommended systems that store longer than 7 days, like Google Drive, DropBox, etc)
  • Link to the file in this thread, with some short info what you recorded (basically mirroring what has been written in the TXT)

From all entries, 20 to 30 samples (maybe more) will be selected to be a "starter bundle" for the SWC in question. You(!) can shape the game's overall tone. In order for this endeavor to be successful, we need 10 entries with three to five samples per participant each. If there is not enough material, or not of enough variety, the challenge can not happen as designed. If there is too much material, things will be trimmed down or used for future games of similar nature.

Once the material has been prepared, the game starts on time on 01st January 2022. It is highly recommended to provide material early on, which makes it easier for me to set up things. Thanks in advance.

Let's get creative! :phones:
AskAndy

Re: Community Scramble (SWC053 January 2022) - Sample Collection Thread - Submissions until 24-12-2021 23:59 UTC+1/CET

Post by AskAndy »

love this idea, how ever ,for some reason I can only access this page via my email. where is it burried?
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Community Scramble (SWC053 January 2022) - Sample Collection Thread - Submissions until 24-12-2021 23:59 UTC+1/CET

Post by Mister Fox »

Can you please specify what you mean by that?

This is a preparation and sample collection thread. You post your own created sample content in this thread (see Rules and Guidelines - Upload and Submission Guidelines ), and then we go from there for January 2022.
AskAndy

Post by AskAndy »

It took me awhile to find this page using the website. I had to rely upon the link sent in your monthly email to get to this page. But i have since learned the route to this page. I claim to be no genius. AND you answered my original unstated question. Perhaps you are the genius. Thank you.
Andy
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

A friendly reminder:
Including today, 7 days left on the counter for submitting your samples. So far, we have 0 entries.

Remember: You lay the groundwork for Songwriting Competition 053 "Community Scramble" / January 2022!
In order for the "Community Scramble" Songwriting Competition to work, we need at least 10 mini-sample packages. So if you've been sitting on the fence so far, now is the time to get involved.

Please spread the word!
AskAndy

Post by AskAndy »

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1WmXj45 ... sp=sharing well , I am not sure I have done things properly but here is my contribution to this awesome idea. Two of lthese I made With my guitar , and two I made using Xpand!
Last edited by AskAndy on Mon Dec 20, 2021 00:50 CET, edited 3 times in total.
VCA-089

Post by VCA-089 »

Here is my submission:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/13V2dhj ... sp=sharing

Recorded on a phone camera. I wanted to make something like this for a long time, but was struggling because I don't have a professional recording equipment (and I usually don't need it). If this pack intended for sound design, there is no "bad" sounds for that matter. I don't have any real instuments either. I have a bunch of commercial virtual synths, but creating sounds with them would mean bringing my comfort zone instead of making challenge. I wanted to create something rough instead.

Samples in my pack:

SWC-053_VCA-089_01_Cat_Sounds, 00:22, 44/24
SWC-053_VCA-089_02_Kitchen_Foley, 00:15, 44/24
SWC-053_VCA-089_03_Cola_&_Snacks, 00:30, 44/24
SWC-053_VCA-089_04_Small_Fountain_And_Cooler_Blops, 00:37, 44/24
SWC-053_VCA-089_05_Coffe_Maker, 01:37, 44/24

1. Cat sounds. Usually those creatures make annoying noises all the time (I have two), but when you approach with the mike they become completely silent.

2. Kitchen Foley. A several sounds of hitting and smacking objects. It is arranged in one file to be able to create morthing wavetables and granular soundscapes (curious to hear that). You can also trim it and use individual sounds for drums and percussion.

3. Cola & Snacks. A joy of consuming fast food with all consequences.

4. Small fountain and cooler blops. Can be used to create large cavern ambiences.

5. Coffe Maker. Some mechanical sound that also has a defined harmonics.

I hope you will enjoy working with those sounds :hihi:
Last edited by VCA-089 on Mon Dec 20, 2021 17:52 CET, edited 1 time in total.
YuriyKolosov

Post by YuriyKolosov »

Here are some samples I've made with Synth1:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hWhMks ... sp=sharing

Contents:

SWC-053_Synth1_Claps, 00:04, 44/24
SWC-053_Synth1_Donk, 00:02, 44/24
SWC-053_Synth1_HardKick_Perc_Loop_130, 00:07, 44/24
SWC-053_Synth1_Rave_Stab, 00:02, 44/24
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

Thank you for the samples so far.

:arrow: Just two main things to point out:
1) it is called "Community Scramble"
2) don't forget to add your username to the filename

Also, I kind of expected individual samples. Some of the content so far is a "re-cut collection" of a certain sound/theme type. One can work with that and will definitely help fill a possible void due to lack of participation. Just stating that this was originally not the task. Either way, looking forward to more entries. Let's see what other varieties will arrive.

As of the timestamp of this post, there are a bit more than 4,5 days left for submissions. Please keep it up.
A Future in Noise

Post by A Future in Noise »

One is always busy doing one hundred things at the same. It's probably stupid to ask about the rules, cause the rules – this is where I can read them! :idea: But I haven't got the time. So maybe I will just upload some interesting sounds, and if I do it in the wrong way, the moderator will just have to declare that we cannot use them.