2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC053 January 2022 - Winners announced

Thematic Songwriting Competition - recurrence: monthly
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC053 January 2022 - Submissions until 24-01-2022 23:59 UTC+1/CET

Post by Mister Fox »

A friendly reminder:
We're in the final 24 hours to submit your production.

Please get your production ready and submitted today. :phones:
Doesn't matter if the production is complete or not. This game was all about sound-design and experimentation. Please get involved.
tinnitus

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC053 January 2022 - Submissions until 24-01-2022 23:59 UTC+1/CET

Post by tinnitus »

I didn't have much time to spend on this (about a day) so its kind of unfinish...but its as finished as its gonna be. Just wanted to have a little fun and see what would come from it.
I'm not sure how to properly tell the LUFS and Peak info, but it appears to be under -14LUFS with Youlean. We'll see when the pros look at it though.

Wave version:
SWC053_ShaneNewville_Walking.wav

DAW:
Ableton Live 11

Plugins:
Trackspacer
FabFilter Pro-Q 3
FabFilter Pro-C 2
TAL-Dac
TAL-Dub-X
kilohearts non-linear Filter
Auto Filter (Ableton stock)
Utility (Ableton stock)
Sampler (Ableton stock)
Compressor (Ableton stock)
WaveFactory Cassette
D16 Decimort 2
Valhalla Vintage Verb
Valhalla Shimmer
Valhalla Supermassive
Unfiltered Audio Base-Mint
bx Control V2
bx console AMEK 9099
Lindell 902 De-esser
Soundtoys Little AlterBoy
BPB Saturator
xfer OTT
Waves RVox

Samples used:
burst_1000Hz_-6dBFX_x1.wav
Cat Rubber Band Bass.wav
rect_-6dBFS_10samples.wav
sin_55Hz_-6dBFS_0.3.wav
SMP_Bells.wav
SMP_Drum_Swing.wav
SWC-053_Synth1_Claps.wav
SWC-053_Synth1_HardKick_Perc_Loop_130.wav
TrigerTek Industrial Services (Morot Windup).wav

The methodry was pretty basic. For the beat mainly just chopped the crap out of things and layered it in the Arrangement view rather than relying on samplers. I did use one sampler for the bell (maybe another too) to make it easier to play notes. Got a lot of millage out of automating filters for some variations.
Last edited by tinnitus on Mon Jan 24, 2022 23:55 CET, edited 11 times in total.
J.Ruegg

Post by J.Ruegg »

My entry for the Community Scramble 2022 Round.

Finally got the time and tools to get something done for a Community Scramble round, it was mostly done in the last 24 hours so it's a bit rough.

Samples used:

00 Generated WAV tones\white_-6dBFS_3s.wav

Yes, that's the only sample I used, a white noise one. Lot's of resampling and resynthesis used.

Gear used (ordered by importance) :

Bitwig Studio 4.1
Ableton Live Suite 10
Dmitry Sches Tantra
Matt Tytel Vital
Cableguys Shaperbox
Kilohearts Phaseplant
Kilohearts Disperser
Xfer OTT
Fabfilter Pro-Q3
Fabfilter Volcano 3
Valhalla Vintage Verb
Fabfilter Saturn 2
Fabfilter Pro-MB
Fabfilter Timeless 3
NI Transient Master
NI Supercharger GT
NI Replika XT
Fabfilter Pro-L2
Soundtoys LittlePlate

How it was made:

- Percussion:
Noise sample trough Tantra + Shaperbox, got some rythmic loops, which where later resampled and glued together to get something interesting going on.
Some warping was done in Ableton live to change it's character, and then layered with other similar sounds.

The impacts where done in vital & phaseplant, noise loaded in the sampler module, through high resonant filters, compression & reverb added.

The big drums which come later on in the track where made in Phaseplant, Noise file loaded through a series of bandpass filters to get the attacks, and then layered with more nosie for the "air".
Hats where made with the noise in phaseplant too, but through high pass filters, and then frequency shifters, resonators and comb filters to get a more metallic sound.

- Strings

Made in phaseplant, noise file was run through a series of low pass filters, comb filters and resonators to get a "Stringy" character. Phaseplant is really good for that, as you can have the effects lane in polymode, in that way every note has it's own pitch tuned comb filters & resonators.

- Other melodic instruments

Noise was loaded as wavetable in vital, then some heavy X & Y deformation applied, and then some filtering and heavy distortion, it gave interesting wavetables which then where later loaded to design pads, brass & arps.
Also additional wavetable effects where used inside vital, like harmonic/inharmonic smear, maybe FM too.
note : No individual partials where edited, everything was done with the wavetable modifiers.

I was very carefull to use all sound sources directly from the provided noise sample, or from some resamplings that used it (so, no analog oscillators where used, or white noise from a synth itself).
I could provide the source files if needed, or for curiosity if someone wants to dig into how it was made...

I'm open to answer any questions. :grin:
fajebru

Post by fajebru »

@J.Ruegg wow jesus, that has to be the winner. love it!
SuC76

Post by SuC76 »

Hi,

Here's my simple one :)

Wav:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gh57b6 ... sp=sharing

MP3:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1edhKL5 ... sp=sharing

Intro and Bridge:
Paralyzer Feedback L claps
77 T D7GTR

Verse Beat
SMP 8Drum
SMP 8Drum (roll off some bott. with stock eq, added some stock delay)

Chorus FX
SMP_Ambulance - reversed

Chorus Kick
Smack in kitchen

Chorus Snare
Little technitian tv smack (added some stock reverb)

Outro
SMP String xpace and on one channel is another one but reversed.

For synth I use part of Smp bells in Simpler with added stock delay and reverb

For bass I use part of Electric bass in Simpler

DAW: Ableton Live 10

Bye.
tinnitus

Post by tinnitus »

J.Ruegg wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 18:52 CET
My entry for the Community Scramble 2022 Round.
That's so cinematic. Very nice
EsteveCorbera

Post by EsteveCorbera »

Mister Fox and fellow challengers,
Here is my proposal for this month. This time I took the opportunity to learn how to use Reason Mimic in a new sampler.
I’m sorry I didn’t make a more extensive comment, but now I don’t have any more time.

Thanks mates and good luck !!

Equipment:
DAW:

Reason 12

Instruments:
Mimic

Various samples:
TigerTek Industrial Services (Motor Windup).wav
Tweet confusion.wav
SWC053_EsteveCorbera_Pads.wav
Guitar Tuning E-String.wav
SWC-053_Synth1_Claps.wav
sin_1046.50Hz_-6dBFS_0.3s.wav
Finger Cymbals soft attack mono up until 6k.wav
Glockenspiel High C mono up until 6k.wav
SWC-053_Synth1_Rave_Stab.wav
SWC053_EsteveCorbera_BeatBoyFNF.wav
Kurzweil 2000 Pad.wav
Dog - Chomper B (IMGUR).wav
Smash Wine Bottle.wav
SWC-053_VCA-089_01_Cat_Sounds.wav

Effects:
RV7000 MkII Advanced Reverb
Polar Dual Pitch Shifter
The Echo
RPG-8 Monophonic Arpeggiator

Other effects outside of Reason:
Waves Scheps Parallel Particles
Analog Obsession Loaded
BPB Saturator
Waves Brauer Motion
Plugin-alliance Brainworx bx_solo
Plugin-alliance Unfiltered Bass-Mint
AIR Music Tech Creative FX Collection AirChorus
AIR Music Tech Creative FX Collection AirEnsemble
2B Played Music 2B Delayed
Valhalla Supermassive
Eventide Quadravox
Plugin-alliance DS Audio TANTRA 2

Other tools:
iZotope Ozone 9
Plugin Alliance SPL HawEye
satchboogie

Post by satchboogie »

Hi !
Thank you for the opportunity. I always have a hard time with sound design. This is a field i usually visit during these challenges . My goal was to improve prior to my previous entry. I think i could achieve this and im happy for it. Though my sound design skills are far beyond what i've seen in these posts.
About the song: What we do in life and the ways we approach everything always delivers some kind of a message about us. I got inspiration from a sample that reminded me to a running small mammal. Then came the idea that we resemble to this animal that is running for its life, but at the end he dies, just like us at the end. If we look from this perspective then we might cry out that there must be something more meaningful of life than just a ratrun. All of us figures out something so life wont be futile.

I used Instrument Rack and Sampler mainly (in Ableton) then tweaked what i could. I was trying to focus on different freq ranges but i failed at the end. For me the hardest thing is that i have to have sounds in my head to make a song and i dont't know how far i can go with sound design. After making up the sketch i ruined all with my voice. Sorry i dont't sing. Melodyne cant help. I did the mixing in Cubase.
My entry:

My entry https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-nv1Xv ... sp=sharing

The used files: https://drive.google.com/file/d/13zUNAj ... sp=sharing

cheers,

satch
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC053 January 2022 - preparation phase

Post by Mister Fox »

It is the 25th January 2022, 0:45 UTC+1/CET - this month's Songwriting Competition has official ended

STATISTICS:
  • If I didn't miscount, we have 9 submissions this month (5 entries more than last month, 2 more than January 2021)
  • We have 0 submissions after the deadline (as of 25-JAN-2022 0:45 UTC+1/CET)
  • We have 0 submissions that has been disqualified (production released outside of the game's timeframe)
  • We have 0 submissions that have been withdrawn (but counts as entry within the deadline)
  • The "staff balancing vote" add-on rule does not apply (I might add final words regardless / step in if there are ties)
  • "Sole Winners Podium" rule (equal or less than eight participants results in a single winner) does not apply (3-position Winners Podium)

:arrow: How do we go from there?

Over the course of the next (hopefully) 24-48 hours (usually up to 6-12 hours maximum after the game has ended), I'll gather all links into one post and hot-link to that from the first post of the thread. Please, no more changes to your entries, but please do check your links that these entries are downloadable. We then perform with the final feedback and "public vote" system.

We have 9 participants. That means that each participant can vote for 8 tracks, the staff will will not cast a balance vote, unless there is a tie that can't be broken (or if it would add a bit more spin to the game).

Please take note of the Rules and Guidelines (see post #7) on giving feedback (mandatory for all participants). Even if you already gave feedback prior to the deadline, please offer some final encouraging words, and maybe give some additional tips for possible improvements on the way. The only main criteria to drop out of the game, is if you do not participate.

This month's focus was "sound design" - so don't be harsh on those that didn't fully finish their production.

Please cast your vote in collective form through the "spoiler text" bbcode, Please use the forum username of the participant to make it easier during the score collection to address what vote belongs to whom. To get an idea how this usually works, please take a look at the last two Songwriting Competition for how your feedback and vote could look like:

SWC052 - Song Collection and follow-up
SWC051 - Song Collection and follow-up

Feedback from non-participants and/or collaborators is highly encouraged (voting not needed!). The same goes for entries after the deadline, or those that sadly do not count for the current running game (even if you've exceeded the deadline, why not post your entry regardless?). Musicians and Engineers are always after constructive criticism. This is what this forum is about.

Have some general feedback? Please provide that here:
Songwriting Competition - General Gossip Thread

Please have an eye on this thread! :tu:
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC053 January 2022 - Voting until 01-FEB-2022 23:59 UTC+1/CET

Post by Mister Fox »

Let us kick off the VOTING PROCESS, which will end on Tuesday, 01-FEB-2022 23:59 UTC+1/CET latest

There is a GLOBAL COUNTDOWN to check for deadlines.
Just follow this link: Global Countdown (on homepage)

Here is the collection of productions from all participants (in hope that I didn't forget anyone). As usual, if you click on the small upwards-arrow right beside the quoted name, you can jump to the original post and read up on the documentation for this production.

Arelem wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 19:30 CET
"Closure"

A Future in Noise wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 07:48 CET
"Empty Cans"

WAV: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jBP7p_ ... sp=sharing
VCA-089 wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 17:48 CET
"Continuum"

FLAC: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LyFlAs ... sp=sharing
MP3: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vvM2zu ... sp=sharing

Bonus Video:
phpBB [media]
tinnitus wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 04:52 CET
"Walking"

WAV: SWC053_ShaneNewville_Walking.wav
J.Ruegg wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 18:52 CET
"The Prism"

EsteveCorbera wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 23:51 CET
"NoSeQue"

satchboogie wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 23:58 CET
"Ratrun"

WAV: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-nv1Xv ... sp=sharing

BONUS ENTRIES (submitted after the deadline - feel free to give feedback, but you sadly can not vote for these entries)

<no bonus entries>

Please consult the Rules and Guidelines (see post #7) on how your vote could look like. And to make it simple for me for counting the votes - please use the forum usernames in your listing. Thank you!

SWC053 participants giving feedback to each other (to every participant) is mandatory. If you've collaborated with somebody, then only the one doing the main entry needs to give feedback and vote (everything else is bonus). Ideally, please focus on the "overall experience", and what you think could be improved in a future release of this production (technical or even instrumentation), maybe even provide the occasional tip for mixing. Please be open minded, objective and constructive.

This month's focus was "sound design" - so don't be harsh on those that didn't fully finish their production.

INFORMATION: If you've submitted your entry in multiple file formats, the statistic sheet (posted alongside the results) will focus on the uncompressed material first (WAV), then FLAC, then MP3. The higher the quality, the less possible loss on bonus points for "Loudness Specs" due to offsets introduced by a used CODEC.

Good luck to all participants! :tu:

If you have an idea for a future Songwriting Competition, please post about this in the theme/genre request page.