2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC056 April 2022 - Winners announced

Thematic Songwriting Competition - recurrence: monthly
Olli H

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC056 April 2022 - Submissions until 24-04-2022 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Olli H »

Hi,

MY SUBMISSION

Olli H: Pathetic Justice
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FF23Ew ... sp=sharing

When I saw the picture attached to song theme "Gateway to another world", it was immediately clear to me that thematically this song will be about a man who's been told that it's his time to come to the gates of Eden. But he resists in his humble and silent way, and he begins to question almighty God's sense of justice. Naturally, The Book of Job was a great inspiration to this.

Also, musically it was instantly clear that I shall spend this month studying music made by Daniel Lanois. He's been a great inspiration to me. I'm fascinated by his everchanging hypnotic looping sounds. And especially his pedal steel skills.

I decided that my song would be in 3/4 tempo. I created about 16 verses long Reaper project and started strumming and recording acoustic guitar with certain chord progression that's been haunting me for quite a long time. I played and played and at the same time crooning many different starting points for melody lines.

Soon after I had found good enough starting points I started working with Daniel Lanois styled busy but distant and relaxed drum grooves. Having found some suitable starting points for drums, I filled the 16 verses with initial drum ideas.

Same with the bass. I started playing it along with the guitar, drums and different melody lines and recorded different bass lines.

So quite quickly I had lots of material, and I started to edit and move them around within my Reaper project. That way I got finally seven verses with big enough variations.

INSTRUMENTS

Drums: SSD
Double Bass: Trilian
Synth Bass: Massive
Pedal Steel: Impact Soundworks
Electric Guitar: real (Gibson ES-165)
Shaker: real
Tambourine: real

STATISTICS

According to Reaper
Peak: -1.1
Integrated loudness: -14.2 LUFS-I

According to Youlean
Integrated = -14.21 LUFS
A Future in Noise

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC056 April 2022 - Submissions until 24-04-2022 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by A Future in Noise »

I once again updated my submission. (The e-bass was probably too loud before.)

I saw there had been one download before I updated, so please note this.
VCA-089

Post by VCA-089 »

My little contribution to this month.

FLAC: https://drive.google.com/file/d/11VhTre ... sp=sharing
MP3: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1DY3rY9 ... sp=sharing

I tried to get inspiration directly from the image, trying to interpret certain elements of the image as a sounds and textures. I found a synth from Newfangled Audio that uses a "west-coast" style processing to create a kind of moving textures and drones with that "eerie" feel. It was perfect tool for creating a sound of an "alien gate" from the image.

I also tried to give it a "soundtrack" feel, focusing strictly on "the gate discovery" moment. It may work as an opening to a movie I think.

Instruments and techniques:

1. TAL "Bassline 101" used for two sounds:
- The main resonant bass with a slight filter modulation from an oscillator;
- The noisy arpeggio that uses self-oscillating filter with slight modulation from white noise.
2. SampleScience "Cinematika" used to create pads and chords with a lot of shimmer reverb on it.
3. Newfangled Audio "Pendulate" used for two sounds:
- The lead sound with a lot of portamento;
- The main drone sound of the "portal" from the image. It uses multiple lines of automation to create evolving texture.
4. The "noisy cloud" as a second layer of the "portal" creted with Cherry Audio "Voltage Modulat" with a setup of noise source fed into a formant filter, with three LFOs modulating the peak points.
5. Some SFX used from FL Studio stock library.
6. U-He "ColourCopy" and Eventide "Blackhole" were used to create space and distant feel fro all instruments and effects.

Produced in FL Studio 20.9.

Technical details:
► Show Spoiler
phpBB [media]
A Future in Noise

@Olli H Not much time left. But I think that you maybe should - unless my cheap ear... -phones (?) are out of order - try to acheive a better balance between left and right guitar, in terms of dB. The right one dominates too much. It's a great track (influenced by Tom Waits?). EDIT: No, influenced by Daniel Lanois, sorry. I actually have a live concert with Lanois on a tape, performed, broadcasted, and recorded 1991, I think. But you probably already have it.
becsei_gyorgy

Post by becsei_gyorgy »

Unfortunately, I didn't have much time to be in front of a PC and play (make) music this month, but I didn't want to miss a visual (picture) inspiration project (I wish a video project next time :wink: ) So I made a quick one-day project today.

Spitfire BBC Core
Spitfire Fink Signature
SINE Majestic Horn
Arturia Pigments
Kontakt
Damage 2 Drums
Pan Flute
Zero-G Atlantis, Sahara Voices
Chronicles Bukhu

Pro-Q3
Maag EQ4
SPL TwinTube
Vertigo VSC-2
Puigchild 670
RVox
Sonnox VoxD Widen
Blackhole
Valhalla VV
Seventh Heaven
Amplitube 5 X-Space
BOZ Pan Knob
TR5 Brickwall Limiter

bx_digitalV3
Gullfoss
SSL Native Bus Comp 2
Oxford Limiter
Youlean LM
SPAN
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC056 April 2022 - preparation phase

Post by Mister Fox »

It is the 25th April 2022, 0:20 UTC+2/CEST - this month's Songwriting Competition has official ended

STATISTICS:
  • If I didn't miscount, we have 9 submissions this month (2 entries more than last month, and also 2 more than April 2021)
  • We have 0 submissions after the deadline (as of 25-APR-2022 0:20 UTC+1/CET)
  • We have 0 submissions that has been disqualified (production released outside of the game's timeframe)
  • We have 0 submissions that have been withdrawn (but counts as entry within the deadline)
  • The "staff balancing vote" add-on rule does not apply (I might add final words regardless / step in if there are ties)
  • "Sole Winners Podium" rule (equal or less than eight participants results in a single winner) does not apply (3-position Winners Podium)

:arrow: How do we go from there?

Over the course of the next (hopefully) 24-48 hours (usually up to 6-12 hours maximum after the game has ended), I'll gather all links into one post and hot-link to that from the first post of the thread. Please, no more changes to your entries, but please do check your links that these entries are downloadable. We then perform with the final feedback and "public vote" system.

We have 9 participants. That means that each participant can vote for 8 tracks, the staff will will not cast a balance vote, unless there is a tie that can't be broken (or if it would add a bit more spin to the game).

Please take note of the Rules and Guidelines (see post #7) on giving feedback (mandatory for all participants). Even if you already gave feedback prior to the deadline, please offer some final encouraging words, and maybe give some additional tips for possible improvements on the way. The only main criteria to drop out of the game, is if you do not participate.

Please cast your vote in collective form through the "spoiler text" bbcode, Please use the forum username of the participant to make it easier during the score collection to address what vote belongs to whom. To get an idea how this usually works, please take a look at the last two Songwriting Competition for how your feedback and vote could look like:

SWC055 - Song Collection and follow-up
SWC054 - Song Collection and follow-up

Feedback from non-participants and/or collaborators is highly encouraged (voting not needed!). The same goes for entries after the deadline, or those that sadly do not count for the current running game (even if you've exceeded the deadline, why not post your entry regardless?). Musicians and Engineers are always after constructive criticism. This is what this forum is about.

Have some general feedback? Please provide that here:
Songwriting Competition - General Gossip Thread

Please have an eye on this thread! :tu:
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC056 April 2022 - Voting until 01-MAY-2022 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Mister Fox »

Let us kick off the VOTING PROCESS, which will end on Sunday, 01-MAY-2022 23:59 UTC+2/CEST latest

There is a GLOBAL COUNTDOWN to check for deadlines.
Just follow this link: Global Countdown (on homepage)

Here is the collection of productions from all participants (in hope that I didn't forget anyone). As usual, if you click on the small upwards-arrow right beside the quoted name, you can jump to the original post and read up on the documentation for this production.

Arelem wrote:
Tue Apr 05, 2022 05:20 CEST
"Ether"

patrlord wrote:
Sun Apr 17, 2022 17:04 CEST
"Star Cloud"

alavault wrote:
Tue Apr 19, 2022 18:13 CEST
"Atar 8K50"

MP3: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_rkY2m ... sp=sharing
A Future in Noise wrote:
Sat Apr 23, 2022 21:33 CEST
"The Destruction and Rebirth of the Universe"

EsteveCorbera wrote:
Sun Apr 24, 2022 02:01 CEST
"Anem A Un Altre Món" (translated with DeepL: Let's go to another world)

Olli H wrote:
Sun Apr 24, 2022 10:49 CEST
"Pathetic Justice"

WAV: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FF23Ew ... sp=sharing
VCA-089 wrote:
Sun Apr 24, 2022 16:36 CEST
"Gateway"

FLAC: https://drive.google.com/file/d/11VhTre ... sp=sharing
MP3: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1DY3rY9 ... sp=sharing

BONUS VIDEO
► Show Spoiler
becsei_gyorgy wrote:
Sun Apr 24, 2022 21:09 CEST
"Chronicles"

BONUS ENTRIES (submitted after the deadline - feel free to give feedback, but you sadly can not vote for these entries)

<no bonus entries>

Please consult the Rules and Guidelines (see post #7) on how your vote could look like. And to make it simple for me for counting the votes - please use the forum usernames in your listing. Thank you!

SWC056 participants giving feedback to each other (to every participant) is mandatory. If you've collaborated with somebody, then only the one doing the main entry needs to give feedback and vote (everything else is bonus). Ideally, please focus on the "overall experience", and what you think could be improved in a future release of this production (technical or even instrumentation), maybe even provide the occasional tip for mixing. Please be open minded, objective and constructive.

INFORMATION: If you've submitted your entry in multiple file formats, the statistic sheet (posted alongside the results) will focus on the uncompressed material first (WAV), then FLAC, then MP3. The higher the quality, the less possible loss on bonus points for "Loudness Specs" due to offsets introduced by a used CODEC.

Good luck to all participants! :tu:

If you have an idea for a future Songwriting Competition, please post about this in the theme/genre request page.
Olli H

Post by Olli H »

A Future in Noise wrote:
Sun Apr 24, 2022 18:01 CEST
@Olli H Not much time left. But I think that you maybe should - unless my cheap ear... -phones (?) are out of order - try to acheive a better balance between left and right guitar, in terms of dB. The right one dominates too much.
Good point! But unfortunately I didn't have time to reconsider my choices. Initially, I thought that I'd make whole song with just bass, drums and pedal steel, with heavy doses of delays. I liked the sound of pedal steel coming from right and a long delay hitting to left. But for some reason I didn't have guts or skills to do it so naked, so I added a guitar to the left side, and it's purpose was only to mask the loud pedal steel delay on the left. Not to hide it, but to make it blend better to the overall sound. But I guess you're right, I perhaps should have treated as a conversational pair to pedal steel and make it a bit louder. As it is in the final verse.
A Future in Noise wrote:
It's a great track (influenced by Tom Waits?).
Thanks! Although I didn't mention Tom Waits, he's a great influencer to me. I wish I could make someday so contentful music as Tom Waits. He can make even unintended yawning to sound as an important message.
A Future in Noise wrote:
EDIT: No, influenced by Daniel Lanois, sorry. I actually have a live concert with Lanois on a tape, performed, broadcasted, and recorded 1991, I think. But you probably already have it.
Daniel Lanois visited Helsinki in 1996 as a member of Emmylou Harris' band. He had just produced her Grammy winning record "Wrecking Ball".
EsteveCorbera

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC056 April 2022 - Voting until 01-MAY-2022 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by EsteveCorbera »

Hello everyone,
I give you my point of view on your subjects. Overall, great job everyone. Different styles but interesting contributions.
Here are my brief comments:

Arelem Ether
Interesting topic. It starts with a LO-FI style that goes up in intensity and interest.
Good setting work with a simple but catchy melody.
Very good change of pace from 2:40. I like Brass coming and going.
Good mix with very good sound placement.
I’m not too critical to say. I find it very correct !!

Haplos_Passenger
Lo-Fi is all the rage. We have another start with the sound of worn vinyl.
The entry of the final part of the track (3:16) is too abrupt, it didn't take long for the guitar to finish sounding as the drums step on it.
The main melody is repeated too many times and does not seem to vary between each repetition.
At the end of the song you left no time for the sound to disappear.
Good mix, but you haven't optimized the IL (Integrated Loudness) level enough

Patrlord_Star Cloud
Promising start but it lasts so long that nothing happens. Luckily, you make a change (1:04) that goes up in intensity and prepares you for something big. This arrives at minute 1:58. Here you put all your strength, but I lack a powerful melody. Let it stick. And then you go off topic and lose interest.
I find the mixing and placement of the instruments good.

alavault_Atar-8K50
I find the battery turned off. I don't know if it's too strong or too far away. Maybe it's just my feeling. After choosing your subject several times, you know what happens: You have not adjusted the levels, because of the strength of your subject it lacks volume.
Good rhythm changes, they make you attentive.
The frantic pace you bring sends us rushing to the door of the other world.
You need to work on the mixture.

aFutureInNoise_TheDestructionAndRebirthOfTheUniverse
I like this start. Good tribute to the 70's. Long live psychedelia. Then you make a change and your ‘style’ appears. It’s cool to recognize your way of composing and singing. And a flaw you have, you leave your voice too far behind. Put it higher. Sing well, shine.
I find the synth and organ sounds of many years ago nice.
Good bottom line.
I like the ending, turn it off, and then come the drums and the organ.
Good topic, but for me it would not be what it would sound like to go through a door to another world.

OlliH_PatheticJustice
Curious topic. The voice part sings and recites at the same time. It’s not just one thing or the other, and that gives it a hypnotic vibe. This comment is not intended to be a negative comment.
With few variations the theme ends up being a bit repetitive.
I like the distorted sound of the guitar at times.
It's a good song.
I find the sounds too close. I think putting more reverberation would help. But that is a matter of taste.

VCA-089 _-_ Gateway
I really like these weird sounds. Very good start. I’m stuck in the cinema armchair with this soundtrack. Very good sound design. That's the decent thing to do, and it should end there.
I really like your topic, but it has a downside: little by little you are preparing an atmosphere, we are waiting for something special to happen, surprising, but in the end it does not happen. Too bad, because I was stuck in the chair.
Influence of Tangerine Dream?

becsei_gyorgy_Chronicles
How can you make a topic in a day? And it sounds great! I have nothing to do with participants like you ...
I like this ethnic style. Very good percussion and good use of voices.
I find few things to criticize, maybe in the end it turns out to be a bit repetitive.
And the placement of the sounds in the space, the percussion may be too reverberating with respect to the other sounds?

Special memories to the recently deceased Klaus Schulze !!

Thank you all

(translated with google)
► Show Spoiler
A Future in Noise

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC056 April 2022 - Voting until 01-MAY-2022 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

EsteveCorbera wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2022 00:38 CEST
It’s cool to recognize your way of composing and singing. And a flaw you have, you leave your voice too far behind. Put it higher. Sing well, shine.
Hi Esteve, I guess you mean "put my voice higher"in terms of pitch. I'm sorry, but i just can't do it - it's impossible. And that's why I have been looking for another singer for years, but they or not easy to find. Real good singers don't grow on trees, so you can just pick them down. And if you mean that I should sing higher/stronger i terms of dB, I could probably do that, but it would not sound any better. I have tried, believe me!

Thanks anyway for your comments.