2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC059 July 2022 - Winners announced

Thematic Songwriting Competition - recurrence: monthly
VCA-089

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC059 July 2022 - Voting until 01-AUG-2022 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by VCA-089 »

As I understood correctrly, we were asked to make a main theme that is meant to be associated with the game. In my opinion, the main theme needs to have an upfront melody and contain some parts that represent the characteristics of the game (it's setting, aestetic and overall atmosphere). It wasn't quite clear, but I got an idea that the game's stylistic would represent the darker side of fantasy with a possible horror twist. According to that, I created my submission and made decisions in the voting process.

Here is my feedback:
► Show Spoiler
Voting:
► Show Spoiler
Mellow Browne

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC059 July 2022 - Voting until 01-AUG-2022 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Mellow Browne »

Here is my feedback after listening several times:

Nick Collins
Has this game boy/nes sound character, with a crazy and weird touch, so this could work as steampunk music. Yes, a musical switch does make sense, but the part beginning @ 0:55 sounds too random to me and too disconnected from the musical main theme.
Overall a very interesting entry with some unique features. Could be really good with more work

KukoBass
Very quiet mix and master. What I like is the atmospheric sound stage with the strings and bass, but imo the lead synth doesn’t fit soundwise (sounds a bit cheap compared to the rest), it also has some timing issue and also from the rhythmical pattern it gets too repetitive.

Crosshatched
First part til 0:48 sounds good musically, reminds me of Resident Evil, I don’t know why. I can’t tell what happened but this buzzing synth sound is very distracting, it destroys the ambience. I understand what you tried using very minimalistic instrumentation but after 3:45 min it is too simple from a musical point of view, even though there is some variation. I can’t find a structure here and I‘m loosing interest after a minute. I think this could be more catchy if you would add more instruments for example to emphasize the vibe. So you should definitely invest more time to finish this, I think this could be really good.

canese
Reminds me of super Mario bros, has a more friendly humoristic vibe to it, the break at 1:50 gives it a more grimey feeling. Mix sounds good and balanced. But overall I think it is too repetitive and needs more work.

Denisioo
Nice sound stage, sounds very cinematic, relaxing and very friendly vibe, catchy „earworm“ melody. Has a nice a fantasy adventure game vibe. Mix is good overall, only the choir vox gets a bit lost at the end. I don’t loose attention because of the subtle but effective variations you implemented. Really good work.

EsteveCorbera
Futuristic space sound, reminds of the movie terminator. Very dark atmosphere overall which I like, has a certain hypnotic vibe, so this could work for the steampunk topic. Nice sound selection and sound stage overall, but I find the mix could breathe a little more, sounds a bit static. Overall it is a really good idea but I think it gets too repetitive, only the melody is changing. I think changing the sound for the different parts could be more efficient and interesting for the listener. You could shorten this to 2:30 min and tell the exact same story.

Arelem
Has a very energetic/heroic vibe and a lot of energy, so this could work for an action card-game. The sound selection is good, the mix needs more clarity and a more defined sound stage, it’s that balance between separation and glue effect. I understand the key transposition but it doesn’t really make it more interesting, it’s just a copy with only little variation, it looses impact because of the repetitive riff. I think with a more complex or sophisticated musical change as a B part this could really work.

VCA-089
Nice drum pattern, first part has a real „bad ass“ vibe, second part reminds me of dragon ball z. It’s absolutely not a fantasy ( the first part) or cinematic sound stage, but I think this still fits very well this whole steampunk card-game topic. The mix is good and well balanced. Nice sound selection overall, very good work.

Koekepan
The unorthodox rhythm pattern makes it interesting, also the different parts and it has a certain dreamy and fantasy vibe with some emotional variety. But overall this sounds like it’s not finish, it’s more like a demo, it’s also very short with only 1:23 min. I think with some more time and work this could be quite unique in its style.

OlliH
This has a more funny and cartoon-ish vibe, like super mario Bros., so this could definitely work as steampunk. The key modulation works really good and adds that certain complexity. The sounds are good, but I think the guitar sounds too real, a more cheaper sound would fit better and create that 16-bit snes sound. Mix and sound stage are well balanced, butI think a little rhythm section would emphasize the chaotic atmosphere overall. Could be very good with some more work.

Thanks for your feedback!
► Show Spoiler
EsteveCorbera

Post by EsteveCorbera »

Hi folks,
I apologize for the shots. This month I have not had time to judge your subjects with sufficient conditions.
I also want to take this opportunity to welcome the new additions.
And I miss some of the regulars, but that will give the rest of us room to win sometime.

Here I leave you 4 details of your songs.

Arelem - A Game of Fates
Pretty interesting rocker style song. Very powerful Good use of guitars. Song very appropriate to the theme of the month.
Something to improve: The chords playing below are too repetitive. There are structures that are repeated too much and the finale is too long. A bit more development is missing. For the rest very good.

VCA-089_DarkProphecy
Good introduction. You keep adding elements, it even looks like an orchestral part. But when the melody begins, part of the interest that had been created with the introduction is lost. You stretch out the guitar and drums too much. Then you change the song, you create a very different atmosphere. They seem like two different topics.
This doesn't necessarily have to be a bad thing, as a soundtrack has abrupt changes to match the events on screen.

OlliH_HoldEemOrFoldEm
Good sound of guitars. A Mike Oldfield touch at times?. The combination with the violins is curious. The truth is that your compositions never leave anyone indifferent.
Of course, I miss your touch of humor that is present in other of your topics.

JanKoekepan_BossCarddraft
True, the heather ending seems unfinished, but being a soundtrack, anything is possible. You generally have the feeling that something is missing.
I like the opening bass, but I don't understand the tempo change around 0:32. Take it out of the song, I miss the opening bass that I was telling you about.
The bell very Peaky Blinders.

Denisioo_Serenity
I really like the beginning of your topic. Even the melody, which also attracts me. It reminds me of Kitaro's simple melodies. Then well the abrupt change, the mysterious voice. But nothing ends up happening. You repeat the same melody, now accompanied by the voice.
I find it a great track but the middle part, with the voice alone you should give it a few more spins.
Good soundtrack

canese_Uncertain Paradox
Curious combination of sounds. It sounds like children's musical instruments, with strange percussion.
Good mix full of eye-catching effects.
The melody is very simple but it is very catchy. I like
Maybe you need to adjust the peak levels of the mix.

Crosshatched_Show Your Hand Dr Piezo
The initial piano is either out of tempo or has too much delay. Too many notes sound at once.
Then you combine sounds with the piano but I don't find them well linked. Now it sounds something, now it doesn't sound, now it sounds meaningless again.

MellowBrowne_LoopOfFaith
I listen to your song and the instruments seem too focused, maybe they need more panning separation. It has a good sound track atmosphere, but without an accompaniment of some images the theme is a bit repetitive.

KukoBass_Check your Cards
Good cinematic percussion. But I miss the sound of the synth you chose to draw the main melody. It is very out of place in relation to the sound environment you have created with the spectacular percussion and the orchestra.

NickCollins_Luck of the Draw
The distorted bass sound sounds too present. Maybe you could send it further to the bottom. But that may be a matter of taste. I like the guitar wah.
You've turned the drum part off too much, it sounds like it's coming from a different source than the other instruments.

Thank you all

Here is my score, totally subjective:
► Show Spoiler
(translated with google)
canese

Post by canese »

Hi guys, thank you for your awesome feedback. Here's mine for you, hope I see you in the coming months.

Arelem
"A Game Of Fates"

Very well crafted guitars. I love the shredd. The monthly theme is nailed. Only remark is the flatness, all the instruments are playing as loud as they can and there is no contrast in the mix.

VCA-089_DarkProphecy

Nice vibe. I like the guitar ambience very epic but chill at the same time. Part B is just great! Excellent mystic ambience. It suits better the monthly theme I guess. Not sure if you can loop it.

OlliH_HoldEemOrFoldEm

good job at puting together electronic and organic elements. But I think it lacks character the percussion is weak at some points, maybe adding a real drum set with the timpani will help, also it lacks high end energy, maaybe adding cymbals in transitions.

Koekepan
"Boss Carddraft"

Good vibes, I feel this has potential, could be improved in the melody department for example or adding another paart or instrument to add energy and flow.

EsteveCorbera
"Homenatge A MSXZana

Wow. Is jean Michell Jarre in this forum? Just amazing track. I dig so much this vibe but In my honest opinion, it will not suit very well for a videogame. I think it belongs to a concert or a trip. I would maybe automate some parameters of the main synth, like ADSR times, or cuttoff and ressonance just to give it more life.

Denisioo
"Serenity"

Awesome track dude, I feel the peace in it. But I'm not sure it fits the monthly theme. In my opinion for a card game, you are either gambling money, losing life or against the clock. So this doesn't give me the urge or the energy for a battle. But the track is solid, very inspirational. I love it.

Mellow Browne
"Loop Of Faith"

Hell yes! This is a good videogame track. Repetitive but not to get it boring, has everything. It's mixed correctly, maybe to compressed and lacks contrast but the flow of energy is very good. Very original, Excellent job my friend.

KukoBass
"Check your Cards"

Percussion is on point. Timbre selection for lead instruments not so much. I would chose something less robotic and with more life. Melodies are remarkable and very nice but I would add something more for call and response.

Nick Collins
Luck of the Draw

Cool harmonies, very weird in a good way. I would change some timbres of the instruments. like the drums are too squashed, bass is too funky, piano sounds cheap and boring. But the melodies and how the interact with each other is awesome. The only thing I would change are the timbres and maybe add drum fills every now and then.

Crosshatched
"Show Your Hand Dr Piezo"

Original indeed. But not sure game devs would pick it for their soundtrack. It's very heavy in the harmonies and melodies department, you have to pay a lot of attention and it distracts from the game. But it's a piece of art that would fit very well in other context.

► Show Spoiler
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC059 July 2022 - results in preparation

Post by Mister Fox »

It's the 02nd August 2022, 01:35 (UTC+2/CEST) - the Voting Period has officially ended.

Sadly, not all participants have submitted final feedback, we would therefore have 1 disqualification.

I will send out another newsletter/message to those particular participants (@Koekepan), give you until the end of Tuesday, 02-AUG-2022 as per the rule book on the voting process ("overtime mechanic"). If there is a feedback and a vote by the participant in question, only -5 points will be deducted from the scoresheet. Else, sadly a disqualification. I will not alter the Winners Podium.

Once I have this feedback as well, I will post the results within 2-3 days and take "late feedback" into consideration.
(this is not an automated process)

Please have an eye on this thread :educate:
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC059 July 2022 - results in preparation

Post by Mister Fox »

First and foremost, please let me once more apologize for the delays. Time management is not an easy topic as of late.

Since I've once more been the "virtual client" this month, I wanted to add some final words to each production. As mentioned throughout the years, to me, everyone of you is a winner as you've stepped out of your comfort zone, experimented and joined such a game in the first place. I hope to see all of you back in future Songwriting Games. Because, let's admit it - the more people join, the more interaction.

I'll have to keep things simple and short. It's basically just additional pointers as follow-up to what I already wrote.
On to the feedback before I post the final results :educate:

Crosshatched - Show Your Hand Dr Piezo

This is a quite dissonant, and in places barren production, trying to get the "mystic" feel across for sure. I think you have been inspired by the more darker tunes from "Hand of Fate" and/or "Inscryption". However, I miss a certain balance in terms of the frequencies. The synths are really sticking out on small speakers, and the synth bass feels like an annoyance rather than a supportive element in this case. On headphones with large drivers, it is more balanced (so this tells me, that this was probably a headphone mix). But even here, due to the excessive reverb, thing also loose on definition. Towards the end of the song, there are even sounds that distort randomly (as if an instrument suddenly overloads, render issue?).

The song loops quite well, although you have to listen to the production several times to get over some off-beat rhythm and dissonance. However, I must apologize, because this is not a song that I'd enjoy during long playing sessions.

Arelem - Game of Fates

You already got a lot of feedback for this production. You did improve on the guitars and overall frequency balance. Although I am still not a fan of the snare (a smidge too loud even), yet it works better than before (tonality wise). The rest is fine-tuning (as in: finding the right reverb for everything). The ending solo guitar goes a bit bonkers though, and "looping" could have been better. However, this production really kept my interest from the get-go and I have a feeling you a had a lot of fun creating that one. Please keep it up for future games.

canese - Uncertain Paradox

It makes me happy, that you decided to go with the most upbeat production from your proposals. I still like the concept. However, the mix is really ear piercing on small speakers, as if you basically turned up everything around 4,7kHz. A quick broad EQ at around 150Hz (up to +3dB) balances things out some more on small speakers. You might have overdone it a bit here. In fact, if I listen on headphones (Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro, which have a sometimes huge amount of bass), this also tells me "probably headphone mix" -- here the balance is nigh perfect (because of the way the DT990 behaves), and I caught myself raising the volume more than I probably should have.

Overall, very interesting production that loops almost seamlessly. Although I feel like there could be 4 bars more in the end as transition. This is definitely one of my favorites this month.

Denisoo - Serenity

You did balance out the instruments a bit. The "oohs" are definitely more subtle now. Although the percussion work in the background could see a different reverb, or maybe one that is not "building up" as much low mids (try band passing it: see Abbey Road Reverb Trick). In places, I am heavily reminded of "Ori and the Blind Forest", mixed with "Beyond Good and Evil", which is a good thing (I love these two soundtracks). Great entry from you, that really only needs fine-tuning and "clipping prevention"... some swells really distort if you push things. See middle section at 1:50min, where the lead vocal is also a tad too loud. But I like the transition there, since your production is overall very dynamic.

Please keep it up, I'd love to hear more from you in future Songwriting Competitions!

EsteveCorbera - Homenatge a MSXZanac

Not much to add here anymore, you did fine tune your entry until the very end. It feels less "over-processed" now (still does in places, but this is a stylistic choice). I really like the 1980s feeling, the sense of mystery and adventure. This would have worked great last year as well (SWC047/July 2021 - "VG OST - Strategic Resources"). It feels well balanced on both small speakers and "bass heavy" headphones. Amazing work this month.

Koekepan - Boss Carddraft

Unfortunately, you didn't finish this production. So giving feedback is nigh impossible. As it currently stands, instruments feel a bit all over the place and definitely need more balance frequency wise. The song also cuts off the moment it turns interesting. It does give me the feeling of "shady backdoor card games" as seen in old Fantasy RPGs. But... it's sadly not done. Would love to hear more from you in a follow-up month.

KukoBass - Check Your Cards

While I do like overall soundscape, I don't think the lead synth is working here. Or it could work, if it would be a bit more subdued (volume wise as well), slightly different tuned (Oscillator offset, maybe a slightly longer attack, or different EQ), maybe have a subtle delay (ducking delay or ducking reverb) to gel the instrument more into the production. Instead of a free running melody on top of tight/quantized percussion work, maybe also a more quantized lead line. Seeing as you have tried that already, maybe just the short staccato notes?. Or maybe play an octave higher? All worth a try. As with previous songs I've listened to, the balance is better on headphones than on 2" speakers. But this is why I'm using this combo to listen to material - it instantly tells me where possible mix problems reside...

I do like the song concept, it feels mysterious, it catches your attention nigh instantly, it loops well, but the synth lead just throws you off, and sometimes the synth bass is sticking out a bit too much (small speakers especially, not "large" ones - here it's more balanced), while the lead string melody is a touch too quiet (especially on large speakers/large headphone drivers). Please keep it up!

Mellow Browne - Loop Of Faith

Definitely an interesting and haunting "Steampunk"/Carnival Adventure feeling going on. But there could be a lot more effort put into mixing. For example, the Marching Snare is a bit too loud (it fits better later in the song), while the Hurdy-Gurdy type instrument (or a barrel organ, rather) is a bit too subdued / vanishing in everything. The synth pads in the background muddy the overall frequency spectrum. It is better on headphones, you can definitely hear more instruments. But the things that stick out the most here are "reverb clouds", and frequencies clashing with each other.

I like the overall concept, it fits well, maybe the end is a bit too sudden for a loop. But besides the point, if you were to go back to this production, you definitely need to clean house on frequency ranges, reverb usage, and instrument volume, etc.

Nick Collins - Luck of the Draw

Bold statement here with the instrumentation and dissonances with the melodies and chords. You're definitely in for a ride, and I say this in a good way (heck, I am actually having fun listening to this!). But you're also right, the modulation might not be for everyone. Then again, we're here to experiment - and that you did. Also, hello there, certain SF2s (E-MU Planet Phat, Earthbound, Chrono Trigger). It's been a while that I've heard these sounds.

While the concept is very interesting, and I do like the chilled "lo-fi" groove (with a super-deep bass, that sadly gets a bit lost on small speakers) - giving you the impression that Moogles raided the radio station and messed with the mix console, you could really work on your frequency balance and instrument volume. Pianoteq sticks out a bit too much in places. And once the "mess of melodies" set in, things just turn a bit mush. So it's not as much the loudness (your song actually isthe loudest this month), but instrumentation balance. Worth working further on this mix, maybe find a better "loop point" in the process (it feels like half a bar is missing). And I really hope to hear more of you in future games!

Olli H - Hold Em Or Fold Em

Wait a minute... something is missing here... and that is the acoustic drum kit! After two minutes, I really wondered "why are we still in the intro phase?". Aw man, this is what made this song get it's "dynamic". From "hey, we're taking things slow" to "BAM! Gotcha!". Pity... This would have hidden some of the RealLPC shortcomings (and you did improve on the editing of these VSTi).

I like some of the guitar effects here (the string slides), I do like the country feel with the slide guitar. But as mentioned, there should be more. It still works. However - this is a tricky situation as you basically presented "a better product" to the devs. Whoops...

VCA-089 - Dark Prophecy

Well, the second mix submission was... a bit of a slip-up, but I could listen to the final product now. As with other entries, the instrument balance on small speakers is a bit tricky (better on headphones yet again, like the E-bass). The drums feel less "General MIDI Synth / Samples", but the reverb is still a bit much on the snare (remember - this kit sets the tone).

As also mentioned previously, the second part of the song is more balanced considering the concept for this part (you also hear the bass here). But overall, things are a tad too bright. Maybe Check yourself with the following sections: a high shelf at 8kHz up (maybe a -6dB/Oct high cut starting at 12kHz to "tame" the upper end a bit), but also around 670Hz-700Hz (a dip of -1,5dB does wonders), maybe even around 4kHz (about -1,5dB), plus re-balancing the lowend around 150Hz (+1,5dB to +2dB). At this point, it's fine tuning.

As final note for everyone - I notice that a lot of you seem to mostly do "headphone mixes". While this is good and fine, and this might be the only way for you to "check" on things, please keep in mind that the focus of your productions and mixes should be on "enjoyable on every listening environment" (including reverb usage). This isn't easy, I am aware of that... But if you have the chance, always cross-check with different sets of speakers.

To close this Songwriting Competition out - technically, I didn't need to add a vote - but this game is different than our usual monthly ones with the "virtual client mechanic". Just like last year, my vote will have a multiplier (2x, for better math this time), just to add a bit more spice. If you didn't make it on to the top three, please don't be disappointed. You all did great by joining in the first place.

Want to know what the final results are - please read the follow-up post. :phones:

► Show Spoiler
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC059 July 2022 - Winners announced

Post by Mister Fox »

Ladies and Gentlemen, here are the results of Songwriting Competition 59

:arrow: The winners podium consists of:
  1. @canese
  2. @Denisioo
  3. @EsteveCorbera

Apologies for the waiting time, this is not an automated process.

<4 participant rule is not in use (staff comments and votes, my vote would count as bonus)
We have 1 disqualification (due to lack of feedback)
We have 0 withdrawn entries
We have 0 votes after the deadline - therefore -5 points penalty
We have 2 users that tied
  • EsteveCorbera has 2x10pts, 1x9pts, 2x8pts -- VCA-089 has 1x10pts, 9x9pts, 0x8pts -- not counting the "client vote", EsteveCorbera therefore scores higher
  • no (more) users that tied
"Sole (License) Winner" rule does not apply - 3-position Winners Podium (>= 9 participants prior to the deadline)

STATISTICS SHEET:
Overview of Submissions (PDF - updated: 08-AUG-2022, full sheet)

! Bonus Info
Short info:
I am using Wavelab 10 for batch analysis, then I manually port the CSV export to a Microsoft Excel/Open Office Calc sheet with custom layout (this is not an automated process).

As pointed out in this post from SWC047 / July, Wavelab has different tolerances for dBTP max analysis compared to tools like iZotope RX, Youlean Loudness Meter, NUGEN Audio VisLM, etc. To find a common ground, I've implemented "allowed tolerances" (just like with the Mix Challenge). These are based upon allowed offsets mentioned in the white papers for EBU R128 and ITU-R BS.1770-4. Since no measurement tool is the same, to be on the save side, please export at -14,1 LUFS ILk max, and -1,1 dBTP max.

As usual, I did list/analyze alternative releases (MP3s and FLAC). If you've submitted your entry in multiple file formats, the statistic sheet will focus on the uncompressed material first (WAV), then FLAC, then MP3. The higher the quality, the less possible loss on bonus points for "Loudness Specs" due to offsets introduced by a used CODEC. In this case, FLAC and MP3 are merely for information purposes.

Here are the results as chart in image form:

Thank you so much for your participation. :clap:

:arrow: License selection:

We'll now perform with the usual. Selecting licenses is handled in public. Please select one license/company out of the pool (in order of the winners podium) and mention it in this thread, then (important) please get in touch with me (via PM) with your full name, email address and your license selection.

As usual - you're not forced to pick up anything. You can pass and therefore offer more to select for the next person in line (if there is a spot existing / not available for "sole winner" mechanic). Just let all participants/winners/the staff know in a timely manner (within 5 days). Once one company has been selected, it's out of the pool for the next person on the podium.

I re-open the field for talking some more about each others' productions. If things drift a bit too off-topic, please use the General Gossip thread, or Discord.

See you in in the next challenge!

Songwriting Competition 060 (August 2022) is still in full swing. There are currently two entries, waiting for interaction.
Please help spread the word! :help:
canese

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC059 July 2022 - Winners announced

Post by canese »

Hello Guys, thank you for your kind words and feedback, very useful in this subjective world of music. I'd pick the RealGuitar from MusicLab for the price. See you in the next round!
Denisioo

Post by Denisioo »

Oh wow! I really did not expect to get this far on my first entry! There were so many good entries, and I'm really surprised I was able to surpass anyone at all.

Congratz To @canese and @EsteveCorbera!

Modobass 2 looks really cool, so I would like that if thats possible.

Thanks for the feedback from everyone, it really helps a lot!
EsteveCorbera

Post by EsteveCorbera »

Hello everyone,
I'm happy because it's the first time I've won a prize in this contest!!
In my case, as VCA-089 says, I was able to win thanks to Mister Fox's quality vote.

I want to take this opportunity to congratulate you all on your work and thank you for your feedback. It's really what has allowed me to learn and improve.

Thank you very much colleagues :tu:

I want a Luftrum Lunaris license
Thanks