2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC059 July 2022 - Winners announced

Thematic Songwriting Competition - recurrence: monthly
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC059 July 2022 - Submissions until 24-07-2022 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Mister Fox »

Thanks for participating, @Koekepan.

Indie Developer Game Company wrote: Hi @Koekepan,

thank you for your proposal. While we understand the need for more interaction and feedback, we sadly have inform you that we just can't provide that, considering the influx of entries. We hoped for a finished production, to get a taste of your skill-set.

So please, provide us with a fully finished production, then we can see where things can go. At this point, things are only vague, and the production can change towards a direction we might not have anticipated. Neither can we outright say "go this route", as this might go completely against your vision based upon the given brief. Again - we would like to see the "bigger picture".

We'd be interested in a re-submission.

- dev team

Technical Feedback (by Mister Fox)

Just like the last time you joined this type of game, you offered but a "taster". I understand your idea behind it, asking for interaction with the clients, a certain direction. But I am afraid this won't be happening this time around.

Technically, I can't really comment on things, as this is basically a "sketch", not a finished song. Personally, I find the hats a bit too loud (first half), then the lead synth (second half of the demo) might be too loud, while the piano and acoustic guitar could definitely see a taste of proper EQ, panning and reverb and/or delay.

I have a vague idea, but it is really hard to tell without hearing the final product. I am sorry.

Please try to get another version in - thank you. :headphones:
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC059 July 2022 - Submissions until 24-07-2022 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Mister Fox »

A short update:
As announced, the "client feedback" will now mainly focus on "re-submissions" (second feedback, follow-up). If you join the game "now", you will still get "client interaction". However, due to time constraints, I might not be able to continue this past 21st July.

Participant feedback among each other is always possible of course. So please, do interact. And don't forget the given time-frames.
canese

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC059 July 2022 - Submissions until 24-07-2022 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by canese »

Mister Fox wrote:
Tue Jul 19, 2022 04:11 CEST

Technically, the most work could be put into Option 3. This one sounds a bit dull and lifeless in places. So maybe a bit more reverb on the strings, more "punch" and focus on the percussion work. Lift the veil, so to speak
The curious thing is, this option was the one I worked the most. I spent two weeks maybe, layering multiple instruments and drums and also mixed it. It's funny how important is the initial idea in comparison to the technical things you put on top. Option 1, has 1 day of production.

I think I will finish both options 1&2 and see which one I will be the final submission. But I'm leaning more toward the happier-catchy one, the faster pace suits better for a game that you will be playing against a clock or opponent and also fits better with the hand-drawn/pixel art graphics.

Thanks for the guidance :gotidea:
VCA-089

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC059 July 2022 - Submissions until 24-07-2022 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by VCA-089 »

I have updated my initial post with the second edit of my WIP submission...
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

The following post will mark the second and final "client feedback" per entry.

Indie Developer Game Company wrote: Hi @VCA-089,

thank you for your re-submission. We don't want to sound impolite, but we've triple checked your edits with each other, and we don't hear any difference at all. Did you maybe forward us a wrong link?

We'll put you into the pool and stay in touch. But unfortunately, we can't offer any further feedback. Apologies for the inconvenience.

- dev team

Yeah... something must have gone wrong here. I legit tested the link several times, I even used a different browser in case my cache didn't update correctly. Just to be sure. The file on Google Drive is listed as being from 12th July, even updated on 12th July.

I just invested 30min to A/B each section. I can not(!) hear any difference. Sadly, and with accordance with this month's "add-on rules", I can't provide any further feedback from this point forward. Slip-ups like this do happen in the "real world", and there are (and always will be) clients that then straight up refuse to further communicate. So please, take this as a learning experience.

Please triple check your links prior to the end of the deadline.
Thank you. :educate:
Denisioo

Post by Denisioo »

Hi, sorry for the late entry, as I didnt see this contest until about a week ago. I've been working on and off with this since then. I hope I did understand the contest guidelines, and that I didnt break any rules with this song.

I've been producing on/off for about a year, so I'm still a rookie when it comes to producing, but I hope you like the song! :smile:

Here is my final submission, https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZrLzul ... sp=sharing

When I saw what this months theme was, I immediately imagined a Fantasy based Indie game. I wanted to use mostly organic instruments, and I wanted a lot of dynamics, to kinda get multiple «stages» in the song, where sometimes it might sound a bit sceptical, sad, or maybe even sound like hopelessnes, and sometimes it might sound positive, like theres hope, or like a mothers love for her child or something :hug: However, I hope you are able to create your own images in your head, and percieve it how you want! :smile:

Daw : Ableton Live

Percussion : Spitfire Percussion
Strings : Session Horns
Brass : Ostinato Woodwinds
Mallets : Mallet Flux
Vocal Samples : Splice
Flute + Chorus Vocal : Nexus - Dance Orchestra
Piano : The Grandeur

-Denisioo
Last edited by Denisioo on Mon Jul 25, 2022 08:18 CEST, edited 2 times in total.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

Welcome to the forum, @Denisioo, and thanks for participating.
Please keep in mind, due to the limited time available for giving "client feedback", this will be your first and only given feedback.

Indie Developer Game Company wrote: Hi @Denisioo,

thank you for your interesting proposal. This has a fairly upbeat fantasy touch to it, something that reminds us of indie platformer games. Quite enjoyable, with a very relaxing feel and subtle vocals as bonus.

Unfortunately, due to time constraints, we can't provide further feedback. But we like what we heard, and we'll definitely stay in touch.

- dev team

I must admit, this song caught me a bit off guard. It really feels like something I've already heard in another video game. I was instantly reminded of games like "Ori" and/or action adventures from the early 2000s.

The track actually works quite well "looped", it has an intro/outro. So it is at your own discretion how you finish out the production. I really like the instrumentation overall, but you should work on a better frequency balance. Everything sounds a bit dull, as if there is a veil over the production. The percussion especially, or the lead strings could be a bit more bright. Then the subtle piano melody could maybe be a bit more louder. But as usual, music is subjective - I am just commenting on what instantly sticks out.

Overall, you did well for your first entry. Please keep it up.
Looking forward to your final mix. :phones:
VCA-089

Post by VCA-089 »

Indie Developer Game Company wrote: Hi @VCA-089,

thank you for your re-submission. We don't want to sound impolite, but we've triple checked your edits with each other, and we don't hear any difference at all. Did you maybe forward us a wrong link?

We'll put you into the pool and stay in touch. But unfortunately, we can't offer any further feedback. Apologies for the inconvenience.

- dev team
I gave you a wrong link :face: . Now I edited my post with the right one (I hope so).
KukoBass
Backer
Backer

Post by KukoBass »

Hello everyone,

if I counted right, we have 7 Submissions so far. Is there anybody else planning to submit a song? In that case, I would participate just to push the number of participants over 8 (for a full winners podium). Otherwise, I'd like to sit this one out as it is far out of my musical comfort zone.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

KukoBass wrote:
Thu Jul 21, 2022 15:24 CEST
Otherwise, I'd like to sit this one out as it is far out of my musical comfort zone.
The Songwriting Competition is about experimenting, just making music, learning something new in the process, and also interact (giving/receiving feedback). This is why I reach out so often. The available licenses are a bonus incentive, not the main reason to join.

But ultimately it is your decision.