2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC061 September 2022 - Winners announced

Thematic Songwriting Competition - recurrence: monthly
Rich_Rath

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC061 September 2022 - Voting until 01-OCT-2022 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Rich_Rath »

Ok, I hope I did this right. The voting part was hard because all the songs had merits.
The songs:
► Show Spoiler
Vote
► Show Spoiler
aurelien.c

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC061 September 2022 - Voting until 01-OCT-2022 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by aurelien.c »

► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
PocketSunlight

Post by PocketSunlight »

Feedback below includes, tunes listen after my original feedback. Good luck, all
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

Just a quick reminder, everyone:
Please document your production. (edit the post of your main entry)

I really liked reading your stories, but please keep in mind that especially collaborative efforts (other musicians) and samples (Creative Commons licenses, or "snagged and heavily mangled") need to be properly pointed out. This month, I'm taking it lenient on listing your equipment (you really do not need to list every piece), but maybe tell us for example how you recorded that guitar lead which people liked, or maybe hint a bit at your vocal chain, etc. This adds to the learning aspect of the game -- else, you might loose out on bonus points

:arrow: To those that were not participating, but are listening in and want to give feedback as well:
Please do so, as participants are always after constructive criticism and helpful feedback (e.g. mixing). However, you do not need to vote. In fact, only the votes by the participants will count (this is the main game mechanic).

Have fun listening, and please enjoy the rest of the weekend. :notes:
J.Golden12345

Post by J.Golden12345 »

► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC061 September 2022 - Voting until 01-OCT-2022 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Mister Fox »

Just one small request, everyone. Especially from our new community members:

Positive feedback and words of encouragement is always fine. But if possible, and if you feel comfortable doing that, maybe you have noticed something in a song that could be improved. So please do talk about that. Maybe most prominently with the tracks that are low on your personal score sheet. This way, participants can learn from this experience and improve on ones production in the future.

Thank you. :educate:
Olli H

Post by Olli H »

I guess I commented almost everyone before. Here’s some further comments.

aFutureInNoise, MentalHealth
The more I listen to this more I like it. Beautiful melody with some surprise chords. Strong 60’s-70’s feeling. To me it’s a positive attribute. I like especially those small fills made with the electric piano. Nice work with drums that support the song but don’t try to steal the show.

==========

Arelem, Here For You
Very convincing feel in the singing to convey that delicate message. The strong personal level of the content could carry the message easily to the broader public. Also, the playing feels flawless. Chorus explodes nicely after more delicate verses. Transitions from verses to choruses, etc. very well done.

==========

aurelien.c, Dissociated Identity
Very interesting opening. Soon it starts to sound like a horror film. In that sense it starts to feel like a good description of the ”dissociated identity”, whatever it means. As no part repeats during the listening moment, and there is no melody line, it’s difficult to remember anything afterwards, and for that reason it doesn’t feel like a song to me, but rather as a sound track to some specific film scene. But, without that visual content it’s a bit difficult for me to relate to this, especially within the context of a songwriting competition. Anyhow, you seem to be very skillful in using music to match images. Instruments are chosen and used very skillfully to convey the images. I guess you can play multiple instruments, or at least you know what is essential to them, for you seem to know well how to take shades, colours and nuances out of virtual instruments.

==========

Esteve Corbera, Meditacio12
Opening feels a bit like a horror film that is about to start. But then it turns into very beautiful and relaxing atmosphere. I like how the bass carries the song all the way. As the lady produces strong levels of reverb, the dry signal of it could be a bit darker, i.e. less with transients and that way more distant. Now it’s at the same time near (bright with transients) and far (heavy doses of reverb). I like the way the drums are used, very leonard-cohenian way.

==========

GamaGama, FakeJam(aica)

Oriental opening creates some sort of expectation what is to come, but for some reason it never comes back. That way it feels a bit separate from the song. Each part is very skillfully done with fills, etc. and they work as such very nicely. Nothing to complain about any single moment. But some of the parts, that should provide a clear difference to previous moments, are probably too similar to previous one. As if after cooked potatoes there is french fries served. Also, as this is an instrumental with a big band, there could be more leading instruments that could do their interpretations of the melodic theme each on its own way. I feel you have all the skills to do some magic with music. But, I guess, maybe you just have to leave the theoretical thinking behind when the magical moment is about to come, and jump to unknown, and let your intuition lead on your way. If you manage to do that, please, guide me in that process.

==========

J.Golden12345, In my remains
Skillfully done 7/8 groove. Overall production reminds me of Powfu, whom I like very much. Vox could be louder for it has a strong soulful vibe. Melody line is probably repeating itself too much, it could offer more nuances. Now it lacks the clear hook part or chorus. The differences of the sequential parts of the song are made mainly with arrangement tricks.

==========

KukoBass, Depression
Very strong submission, insightful spare instrumentation that doesn’t need anything more. Like a modern simplified version of ”Revolution Nine”. Interesting use of drums at the end of song.

==========

PocketSunlight, NeverEnough
Starts immediately like 80’s hit. Very strong hook. Energy level could have some more variations. With more listenings it starts to feel that theres only a chorus. Or is it the verse that carries the main hook. Ending of the song feels a bit weird or sudden. Overall very skillfully done prickly song. For some reason - despite the explanation in your YouTube channel - I like to interpret this as an internal communication with one’s own dissatisfied self, as some sort of self-healing process.

==========

Rich_Rath, All_Empty
This one developed hugely during the commenting phase. I like the punk attitude: ”I want to say this, and i say it no-matter what”. As it is punk country it should be musically simple as it is now. But that musical simplicity should be compensated with with an extra attitude level, ie. more some sort of ”the rage of ape”. Probably the rough version had more that attitude, and the final version became a bit too clean. So, a bit more of flowing exactness and drive to the playing, and slightly more of that freely flowing attitude you have within you, this would have been a top one. I’m extra thrilled of the fact you’re not youngster anymore, but still you have eagerness to come forward with punk attitude. In that way you’re showing me the way, for I’m struggling with the same kind of problem. I hope you keep doing that stuff and find your way to channel all you energy to your songs. I’m waiting eagerly your next contribution.

==========

TheNanoCats, Good_Enough
Strong monotonic song. The lyrics combined with that relaxed attitude makes me think this as some sort of introspective sarcasm, that can be sometimes very healing. The repetitiveness suits very well this song. The special rhythm of the lyrics makes this work. That short silence just before ”never have…” just perfect. ”Shaker!”, I love that. I would have preferred mono vocal sound. It could have given a better focus on lyrics.

==========

Dear David John, Love Takes
Strong song with a spare instrumentation. Its not an easy task but you made it very well. Very expressive voice. Maybe piano could give a bit more variations to overall performance. Chorus flows nicely, but verses have some rhythmical issues in melody lines that slightly disturb the flow and the listening experience.

► Show Spoiler
J.Golden12345

Post by J.Golden12345 »

Ok, then also from me a more in-depth critic of all the songs:

Please notice this is just my personal opinion, we all got different eras and meanings.

GamaGama
► Show Spoiler
Esteva Cobera
► Show Spoiler

A Future in noise
► Show Spoiler
Olli H
► Show Spoiler

Arlem
► Show Spoiler
Nano Cats
► Show Spoiler

Pocket Sunlight
► Show Spoiler

Rich Rath
► Show Spoiler
David John
► Show Spoiler
Kuko Bass
► Show Spoiler

Aurelien C.
► Show Spoiler

Voting
► Show Spoiler
Last edited by J.Golden12345 on Tue Sep 27, 2022 16:12 CEST, edited 2 times in total.
A Future in Noise

Post by A Future in Noise »

Thanks for your kind words @J.Golden12345 But the second half of your comment - are some words missing? I have read it at least ten times now, but I simply don't understand. It could be the fact English isn't my native language, but I don't think that's the reason, this time. (And your list - is it on its way?)