2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC065 January 2023 - Winners announced

Thematic Songwriting Competition - recurrence: monthly
OrpheusXL

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC065 January 2023 - Submissions until 24-01-2023 23:59 UTC+1/CET

Post by OrpheusXL »

Thanks for the input!

I'll fix the drum track.
Actually I doubled it for the last part and did not pay attention to the panning.

Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with the terms concerning loudness.
I got the Orban loudness meter, but the info I get from it is different from the instruction files.
Actually I have no idea, what those abbreviations mean. :(

I'll post a screenshot after the correction.
OrpheusXL

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC065 January 2023 - Submissions until 24-01-2023 23:59 UTC+1/CET

Post by OrpheusXL »

Here is the hopefully final version.

I've thrown out the second drum track and enhanced the main drum track.
Did also some minor changes.

The updated info:

Le Roi C’est Moi

Tempo: 90bpm - 4/4
Duration: 2:09 min
Key: C major

Drum loop 90bpm-24b
Guitar tuning E - - - MAutoPan
Audio 3 - - - recorded voice effect #1
Audio 10 - - - recorded voice effect #2
Sin 440 Hz - - - AASamplePlayer + DS Tantra 2
Bass (Oven door locking mechanism) - - - AASamplePlayer + BassAmp
Lazer Pluck C - - - AASamplePlayer + MAutopPan
Voice semi falsetto key E - - - +DS Tantra 2 (GL Terminal) + Gain
Voice semi falsetto key E - - - +DS Tantra 2 (FLT Aurora) +Gain
Lazer Pluck C - - - AASamplePlayer + echo
Spatula Sound (Imgur dC9OUYh) - - - reversed + chopped
Sin 440 Hz 6dBFS_0.3s - - - + FKFX Obvious + Echo
Laser Pluck with delay - - - MAutoPan
Ruler

https://soundcloud.com/orpheusxl/le-roi-cest-moi

This is what I get from Orban loudness meter:

BS.1770 integrated Loudness: -19.9 LKFS
LRA: 15.6
Highest Reconstructed Peak Level: 00.1 dBFS
Reconstructed Peaks Above 0 dBFS: 0

If there is something out of range, please let me know, because I don't understand, what the values mean.

Thanks!
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC065 January 2023 - Submissions until 24-01-2023 23:59 UTC+1/CET

Post by Mister Fox »

OrpheusXL wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 00:26 CET
If there is something out of range, please let me know, because I don't understand, what the values mean.
I actually recommend using Youlean Loudness Meter instead of ORBAN Loudness Meter, as it's more up to date, and simplified. You can also use Youlean Loudness Meter as plugin inside of your DAW, however drag and drop of audio files on top of the user interface ("faster than realtime" analysis) only works with the Pro version.

Use either the ITU-R BS.1770-4 or EBU R128 preset, ignore color codes for the time being. "Integrated" must not exceed -14 LUFS/LKFS (aka -14 LUFS ILk - that is the maximum perceived loudness of your production), and True Peak max must not exceed -1,00 dBTP. So please set your limiter ceiling accordingly (recommended: -1,1dB, to be safe of overshots).

You can also edit your posts. Just make clear which entry is the final version for me to pick up for the global song collection post.

With that said:
We're in the final 48 hours of the game, and I am happy to see 10 participants with an entry this month. If we exceed 15, I consider opening up the Winners Podium. Please also check your song-length. I'll post another reminder on Tuesday.
OrpheusXL

Post by OrpheusXL »

I still have to ask about the loudness settings as I'm not familiar with these terms.

"Use either the ITU-R BS.1770-4 or EBU R128 preset, ignore color codes for the time being. "Integrated" must not exceed -14 LUFS/LKFS (aka -14 LUFS ILk - that is the maximum perceived loudness of your production), and True Peak max must not exceed -1,00 dBTP. So please set your limiter ceiling accordingly (recommended: -1,1dB, to be safe of overshots). "

First I have to make sure, that I understand the request.
Ususally I take the word "exceed" as somthing "becoming more" and now with negative values I don't know, if this means to get plus or minus the current values?

---> does "must not exceed -14 LKFS" mean to get at least -14.1 or should it be "more" than -14?

What I got now by changing the limiter values of the Master Track is:

BS.1770 integrated Loudness: -14.0
LRA: 6.4
Highest reconstructed Peak Level: -0.1 dBFS

(The Youlean Loudness Meter 2 does analysis only in the Pro version)

So, if something still has to be changed, please point me to where in GarageBand it has to be changed.

Thanks.
Mellow Browne

Post by Mellow Browne »

OrpheusXL wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 21:19 CET
---> does "must not exceed -14 LKFS" mean to get at least -14.1 or should it be "more" than -14?

What I got now by changing the limiter values of the Master Track is:

BS.1770 integrated Loudness: -14.0
LRA: 6.4
Highest reconstructed Peak Level: -0.1 dBFS

So, if something still has to be changed, please point me to where in GarageBand it has to be changed.

Thanks.
It should stay below -13.9 LKFS, this means not "more" than -14, this is highest max value. In digital, everything gets closer to zero, it's kinda backwards. So your integrated Loudness is fine, if your analyser is correct. But you should check the "Highest reconstructed Peak Level", it is hitting -0.1 dBFS, so very very close to 0. You still need to adjust some things somewhere, I would look at the output section of the limiter and set it to -1.1 (this is your "Highest Peak Level"), if you loose too much of the perceived loudness (your integrated loudness will decrease of course) try push the threshold harder into the ceiling to get some of the volume back.

Youlean Loudness Meter does the job in realtime, you have to put on your master and listen to the whole track.

Hope this helps!
JeroenZuiderwijk
Wild Card x2
Wild Card x2

Post by JeroenZuiderwijk »

Here is my final version of the song.
https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ahp8xH6KRIfbgTLwdJ- ... A?e=Plenhx
It was good fun to not think to much about what I was doing...just having fun with the samples and making music. I made the song in Renoise and mixed it in Reaper.
Jeroen
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

First and foremost, a thank you to @Mellow Browne, great explanation.
OrpheusXL wrote:
First I have to make sure, that I understand the request.
Ususally I take the word "exceed" as somthing "becoming more" and now with negative values I don't know, if this means to get plus or minus the current values?
I mean with "must not exceed" as in "must not go over". Values on metering tools are measured in "Full Scale" from -infinity (value) to 0.

So if I write "must not exceed value abc" (as in -14LUFS or -14LKFS -- the 4 letters merely indicate which meter variant was used), then it should not go higher than that. -13,9LUFS would be higher, therefore out of spec. Same goes with "Highest Reconstructed Peak Level" (which is indeed a variant of True Peak). The maximum should not exceed -1,0dBTP. So if it goes to -0,9dBTP (which is higher), then it's not within given parameters.

Your limiter's ceiling should ideally be set -0,1dB lower(!) than the maximum allowed -1,0dBTP to prevent over-shots (so set it to -1,1dBTP).

Examples: for Waves L1 it's "Output Ceiling", for VladG Limiter No6/Tokyo Dawn Labs Limiter 6 it's just "Ceiling" and "True Peak" mode enabled, for Fabfilter Pro L it's Output at -1dBTB and TP Button on/True Peak mode enabled, etc.

OrpheusXL wrote:
Not true... The Free version is already highly powerful and way more up-to-date than the standalone Orban Loudness Meter. You just can't create custom presets, or use "drag and drop" of files on the UI. You use it "realtime" on your summing bus (very last plugin) instead, indeed.

However, this is slowly but surely going into Production Techniques territory. This should help you as answer though. If you got more questions, and if I see it in time, you can also ask on Discord.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC065 January 2023 - Submissions until 24-01-2023 23:59 UTC+1/CET

Post by Mister Fox »

A friendly reminder:
We're in the final 24 hours to submit your production.

So far we have 10 entries. Would love to see more than 15 this month. :educate:

Please get your production ready and submitted (through the forum) today. :phones:

And to make it easier for me to create the collection post, please update your initial post with the appropriate links (final version), or explicitly mark your entry as "final entry". Thank you.
OrpheusXL

Post by OrpheusXL »

Thanks for all the help again.

I still had problems to get things right with the loudness.
I found the Thomas Mundt Loud Max (at thebandguide), which is quite simple to understand.
But after limiting the value to -1.1 dB, when I open the .wav in Orban loudness meter, it shows different values.
When I try the Younlian loudness meter as plugin all values permanently change during song play.

So for me this is still not clear and I've just uploaded the latest version to soundcloud as is.
(I changed the middle part, because I did not like it anymore, using the sin_440Hz_6dBF_0.3 and the Lazer Pluck)

Well, I learned a lot during this process and I hope, the next time it will be better.

The link again:
https://soundcloud.com/OrpheusXL/Le_Roi_Cest_Moi.wav
VCA-089

Post by VCA-089 »

Here is my submission:

phpBB [media]

WAV: https://drive.google.com/file/d/13ZJh3S ... share_link
FLAC: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_32glx ... share_link
MP3: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1CRJrd8 ... share_link

I have entered the "Community Scramble" event numerous times already and this is one of my favorite topics. I started quite late, but I couldn't let myself miss that one. I also like that we have many different entries this time.

I wanted to create a dystopian sounding ambient track with a retro sci-fi soundtrack feel, as I usually do. There is a lot of material in this round that gave me the right inspiration. And this is also a good opportunity to use one of my favorite software instruments, the "TAL Sampler". I also wanted to try out new features of FL Studio 21 update.

Technical details:
► Show Spoiler