2024-APR-11 Info: Check out our current running games Mix Challenge 097 and Songwriting Competition 080.

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC067 March 2023 - Winners announced

Thematic Songwriting Competition - recurrence: monthly
KukoBass
Backer
Backer

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC067 March 2023 - Voting until 01-APR-2023 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by KukoBass »

Hello everybody,

My experience with the challenge this month:
I learned a bit more about tools that can aid you in composition and what they can and can't do.
Instachord 2 was lingering in my software collection, but I had not used it before. And the LARAS composition tool looks interesting as well; I might give it a try in a future contest.

Reflecting on what makes the song "mine" when the chord progression and the arpeggio came from Instachord 2: The Arpeggio is very dominant and left little room for additional content. I had to keep the bass line, the melody and the strings simple. I think the most important idea was to break up the progression into "Verse" and "Chorus" parts and repeat them differently within the song structure.

Feedback
Please take my feedback with a grain of salt; I'm still new to music production and music critique.
► Show Spoiler

Top 5
It was difficult for me to choose my TOP 5 this month because the songs were all good in different ways. In the end, I selected them according to how entertaining I found them while listening.
► Show Spoiler
KukoBass
Backer
Backer

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC067 March 2023 - Voting until 01-APR-2023 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by KukoBass »

A Future in Noise wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 17:27 CET
But the "out of tune" guitar: it came as a total surprise to me that electric guitars have different properties than acoustic steel string guitars in this respect: if I press the strings all the way down into the fretboard - with force - I simultaneously "bend" the tone, with an electric guitar.
The strings of an electric guitar usually have less tension and are closer to the fretboard than the strings of an acoustic steel string guitar, so if you use force, you start to bend the strings a little bit sideways and therefore bend the tone. A set of thicker strings might help at the beginning.

There is another possible cause: Maybe, the guitar is not properly adjusted. If the tone on the twelfth fret is higher than the octave, the neck curvature or the space between the strings and the fretboard might need an adjustment.
Arelem

Post by Arelem »

Hello Everyone,

This month I had some fun messing with chordz again. It was something that I used to use a good bit, but that I moved away from. I'm not sure that this will get me back into it because it's a little wonky to route in FL Studio. I also tried making some lo-fi hip-hop which isn't something that I'm too familiar with. I did learn that I have a hard time with that genre because there are certain things that I am not a fan of so I couldn't bring myself to incorporate into my own track. The fake vinyl noise gets on my nerves and the drums tend to be pretty weak. I punched mine up a bit but tried not to overdo it so as to still sort of resemble lo-fi.

Feedback
► Show Spoiler
Vote
► Show Spoiler
madmax

Post by madmax »

KukoBass wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 20:05 CEST

madmax - "Quadrophenia's Dreams"
Claustrophobic, dystopian future jazz. What I like is that everything is tied together by the continuous bass line.
The sample at the beginning with the rain and thunder ends too abruptly; suddenly all the spaciousness is gone.
Sometimes, the song gets a little chaotic, but most of the time, the different elements don't clash because they are panned to different sides and are playing at different times. Maybe the song could benefit from more call and response elements in the instruments other than bass?
All in all, it is a great song for a soundtrack of a SciFi film.

@KukoBass , thanks for feedback and yes, well, You're right.

Quadrophenia is like schizophrenia but four-in-one, the ideas comes from The Who album and movie.
Bass and Drums is the primary personality, like.... Dr Jekyll :shock:
and slowly, the other four personalities emerge, everyone trying to make their voice heard.
Fender piano is the consciousness, trying to tie the four together.
I just needed a story to build a song, nothing come to mind.

Well, I'm so sorry but I don't have the right skills for give us a feedback, I can talk about harmony, but this not a right contest for that.

I really appreciate all of tracks and feedback and many many thanks you all.
Mellow Browne

Post by Mellow Browne »

Hey there,

I´m so sorry, I really wanted to record the vocals but I got sick and I was out of order the last week. I'm still not at a 100%.

To be honest, I´m not happy with my entry. I really need to take care because I get excited from new sounds pretty fast, so I tend to be hyped by the sound and forget about the compositional task that was asked. This happens to me all the time, I really need to be prepared for the next challenge.
I really like Scaler 2, it is one of my favourite pieces of software and I couldn't live without it anymore. I know what this software can do, and I already did some stuff with it I never thought of, so I'm pretty disappointed with my entry. Very basic, cheesy chords with a little variation and substitution as a bridge part. The guitar solo sounds really fake to my ears, I need to check my library if I got better guitar sounds.
I really missed the opportunity to dive deep into the Scaler 2 architecture, there are still so many things to discover for me and I think I was too hyped by the new sounds and UADs Luna, so I wasn't even really able to leave my comfort zone. :bang:

I still learned many things and Luna may become my new main DAW. It works absolutely smooth on my machine and the work flow is almost perfect for me! Really enjoyed working with it.

So, I made my Top 5 from the songs I enjoyed most while listening and took into consideration how balanced the sound is.

► Show Spoiler
Voting:
► Show Spoiler
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC067 March 2023 - Voting until 01-APR-2023 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Mister Fox »

madmax wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2023 13:39 CEST
Well, I'm so sorry but I don't have the right skills for give us a feedback, I can talk about harmony, but this not a right contest for that.
Try it regardless, please.

The idea with the Songwriting Competition, is to learn how to provide and receive feedback, to interact. You don't have to be super detailed. Focus on what you liked, what you think might sound better with an adjustment (mix wise, as simple as "maybe bring up the bass a bit more"). As long as it isn't just "great entry" and then move on. :educate:

This is the only criteria to be disqualified from the game, and it always makes me sad for having to do that.

As a quick update:
We're in the final 48 hours for providing feedback and casting a vote.
becsei_gyorgy

Post by becsei_gyorgy »

Mellow Browne wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2023 14:54 CEST

May I ask you why you are using several headphones to check your mixes? Do you also use monitors?
First of all thank you for the feedback and also for your advice.
In answer to your question:
At my computer, where I have my music softwares, I almost always listen to music on the DT 990 Pro.
It's very pleasant, I like it, I make my mixes on it, but because it emphasizes the bass too much, I'm not sure of a good sound, even after years of experience (especially with electronic music). So, if I'm not lazy, I use the DT 880 Pro for the final mix. It gives a much smoother, more even soundstage. I often have to adjust the mix in this way, especially in the low-mid - mid range. This headphone is much better for the final mix, although making and listening to music on it for long periods is not as enjoyable.
For both, I use SoundID Reference with profiles at 75%.
When I work at other computers (other jobs), I have other headphones, mostly cheaper (AKG K72, Superlux HD681). Sometimes I listen to the finished mix on these too. (akg's sound is very lacking in midrange, and the bass is not good at all. it's a scandal.
BUT: what sounds relatively acceptable on this is certainly a good mix and will hold its own in any environment. So it's good for me to check out the sound sometimes.)
I have a pair of Mackie speakers, but I hardly use them at all. I am making music mostly in the evening or weekends, and in the interests of peace it would be inappropriate to use them :smile:
Mellow Browne wrote:
The „NS11“ and „Mixcubes“ preset are THE settings I recommend in SoundID Reference. I do 90% of my mixing decisions with just these 2 settings and the translation is almost perfect!
Thanks for the tips I will check the SoundID presets, but to tell you the truth, I found out last week that the software also has the ability to simulate different environments for checking your music. So far I just set the headphone profile (Flat Target) and that's it... :smile:
I will definitely try it :tu:
Mellow Browne wrote:
If you are mostly using headphones, please do not exaggerate with the volume, you may suffer from hearing impairment.
Although the tinnitus itself may not bother me that much, I don't think I can hear anything above 10-11K :)
I try to take a break every 30-45 minutes when headphones are on, but if you get too into it and get caught up in the flow, you're obviously breaking your own rules. :)
OrpheusXL

Post by OrpheusXL »

becsei_gyorgy wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2023 22:26 CEST
Although the tinnitus itself may not bother me that much, I don't think I can hear anything above 10-11K :)
I try to take a break every 30-45 minutes when headphones are on, but if you get too into it and get caught up in the flow, you're obviously breaking your own rules. :)
I would like to provide a sound which I created during my experiments, which can solve the tinnitus.
Well, it works only for about 10 or 15 seconds yet, but it can be quite a peaceful moment to enjoy.

Usually I don't notice my tinnitus unless I put my attention to it.
This might be the reason that one notices the tinnitus somewhat stronger than before listening to this sound.

Feel free to experiment with it. Maybe it helps even more when used daily? Let me know, what you find.

Here's the link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/8mli6pljq6bd8 ... s.mp3?dl=0

--> Maybe this is not the right place for such things, but I wanted to make sure, that you get it.
EsteveCorbera

Post by EsteveCorbera »

As always a great level in all subjects. Good job everyone.
This month I liked the challenge because I was able to use tools that I had bought but had never used. I had to read manuals and do a little digging. Too bad I didn't have more time due to family problems.
I will give you some brief comments.
I want to thank you for your comments on my song so far. Will we have comments from Mr.Fox as well?

Arelem_Apathetic
I like the initial atmosphere with the voices and their echo.
Good work with the low frequencies. I'm listening to it from a laptop and they sound good enough.
The bit that the low frequencies (Kick and bass) don't sound like stripped, but on the other hand, all the other instruments are better appreciated. Maybe the low frequencies mask or muddy your song.
I like the guitar and the melody you draw with the piano.

canese Untitled WhatsApp Audio 2023-03-12 at 11.15.44 PM
The voices are very muffled. too distant Curious selection of percussion sounds, but these very original sounds in the end make the rhythm end up becoming heavy and repetitive.
It's missing something, I don't know what, maybe more variations.
I don't understand the sound at the end, it's like added.

madmax Quadrophenia's Dreams –
Baffling intro. Some effects don't add anything to the theme that really starts later. Then it ends too abruptly.
Too much randomization, no melody that is easy to recognize and retain or perhaps lacks a more normal structure. Content is missing at high frequencies. Battery sounds off.
But as an experiment it's fine. It looked pretty good for you to be starting. If you want to keep learning, keep participating. Everything I have learned in this challenge.

MellowBrowne_DeLorean
Interesting progression. With 80s style. Very good. Although there is little variation, the theme does not become heavy. Maybe the pad part a little too present, a break would be nice. Interesting mix.

OrpheusXL The Day When My Heart Broke
Melody that ends up being retentive. The mix is the loosest part. You have few other frequencies, it sounds a bit muffled. The drums sound too distant and the bass too loud. Variations in the speed of the notes are missing.

JeroenZuiderwijk_RockChord
Your song is reminiscent of 90's PC games with a rock twist. I like the guitar playing at the end. They have strength. But there are some sounds that should be mixed differently. When the guitars play and the bass with the drums enters a chaotic zone. Too much accumulation of sounds.

KukoBass_Wonders_v2
Nice effort to make a sung track. I like the sound environment. The bells look good, but maybe a little bright. I like the bass. And the voice is very good for the song you do, but it's too close, a bit of reverb or delay to give it depth would have been good.

juhu_MirrorImage
original theme There aren't too many jazz themes out there, I don't know that Mr. Fox proposes it as the theme of the month. good mix The trumpet sounds great. But the song gets a bit heavy at the end. It would lack a little more variation in rhythm. The synthetic drum sometimes doesn't fit well.

Jorgeelalto_NotQuite
Ambient theme, chill out type with good sound, but ends up getting heavy because it has little variation. Good effects that accompany and complement. Very well placed in the mix. It's missing a main tune.

becsei_gyorgy_SomethingToHappen
You always go strong. Impeccable themes. what envy You have the knowledge and the means, just looking at the list of things you've used it looks like you have it all. Little criticism to make. Maybe it's a little long, maybe it's time for something to happen.

aFutureInNoise_TaDigSamman-1
Song in your style. The voices of the final choruses are very good. I like the pads with the bass. The guitar could be improved. I even like the structure of the song.

Extra:
GamaGama_SadMountain
Nice jazz track. Good sax and bass sound. The battery is also very adequate. The mix is fine too. Too bad you retired.

(translated with google)
► Show Spoiler
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC067 March 2023 - Voting until 01-APR-2023 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Mister Fox »

A friendly reminder:
We're in the final 24 hours to submit your feedback and cast your vote.

Please check post #65 regarding the feedback and voting mechanic. Please don't let yourself be put at a disadvantage by not participating (fully). The Songwriting Competition lives from the given feedback towards each other.

Outside feedback is welcome, of course.