2024-APR-11 Info: Check out our current running games Mix Challenge 097 and Songwriting Competition 080.

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC067 March 2023 - Winners announced

Thematic Songwriting Competition - recurrence: monthly
A Future in Noise
Song Provider
Song Provider

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC067 March 2023 - results in preparation

Post by A Future in Noise »

madmax wrote:
Sun Apr 02, 2023 18:03 CEST
@aFutureInNoise wrote:
What is the female warrior dreaming about? What has the water go to do with her weapon

I don't know, I haven't seen her.
No weapon, just peace and love.
It looks like a weapon to me. Have I listened to the wrong tune? (Maybe, just maybe, I'll provide some extra feedback within 1-2 days.)

https://m.soundcloud.com/madmax-4736260 ... al_sharing
A Future in Noise
Song Provider
Song Provider

Post by A Future in Noise »

@madmax Please note that my comment was not meant as criticism. I have no problems with guns, not in pictures, anyway.
madmax

Post by madmax »

A Future in Noise wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2023 10:19 CEST
@madmax Please note that my comment was not meant as criticism. I have no problems with guns, not in pictures, anyway.
I know that’s not a criticism
we are musicians, we breathe music, we look at life differently from others.
We are musicians, we are family,
madmax

Post by madmax »

canese wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2023 00:07 CEST

madmax
"Quadrophenias Dreams"
THis is quite unique. It has nice groove and very strange melodies and harmonies but I like it, Very psychodelic and takes you on a trip. How do you even come to this? it's just jamming? or there's a logic behind it?
First of all, thank you.

I had actually written another piece, but it wasn't dissonant enough.

Then, by chance, I saw a clip from the movie quadrophenia and thought about the tritone,
Tritone is the same chord but with a different personality.

Two instruments are “Mister Hide 1” and “mister Hide 2”, who speak minor pentatonic,
the other two (Hide 3 and 4), completely insane, scream tritonal dissonances, with the piano trying
to keep them together.

Maybe it's weird, but I didn't know where to start.

It's a jam, one track for each instrument, the first one good, and two tracks for korg ms-20.

If you are interested I can send you the whole project.
Thank you very much Canese :tu: :smile:
JeroenZuiderwijk
Wild Card x2
Wild Card x2

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC067 March 2023 - Voting until 01-APR-2023 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by JeroenZuiderwijk »

Mellow Browne wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2023 14:54 CEST

JeroenZuiderwijk
This reminds of some pc music game like Pro Evolution Soccer 5 or a racing game.
I really like the drive and the pace. It is nice to hear different genres mixed into your entry.
The growl bass thing at the very beginning is pretty cool.
Like you mentioned, the overall chord progression seems a bit dissonant at times, but I think this gives it really that special character it needs because to my ears it is still in a very musical way. I couldn’t imagine what other chords would have fit. It is nice to hear those different parts. That bridge gives it that extra flavour. And those guitars riffs from 01:20, whoa, holy moly, how did you get this sound? Is that a vst?

Hi Mellow Browne,
To answer your question about the guitarsound. I'm playing guitar directly into my audio interface with a FA3 Amp plug in. My favorite amp-sim for guitar.

Jeroen
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

Ladies and Gentlemen, here are the results of Songwriting Competition 67

:arrow: The winners podium consists of:
  1. @juhu (35 pts)
  2. @Jorgeelalto (32 pts)
  3. @Mellow Browne (32 pts)

Apologies for the waiting time, this is not an automated process.

<4 participant rule is not in use (staff comments and votes, my vote would count as bonus)
We have 0 disqualifications (due to lack of feedback)
We have 1 withdrawn entry (but counts as submission within the deadline, yet couldn't be voted for)
We have several users still in the game that tied
  • the following users all had 20pts with a participation vote, and 32pts with the bonus points mechanic. To break the tie, the mechanic falls back to "who has higher points"
    • Jorgeelalto has 1x5pts, 0x4pts, 2x3pts (made it 2nd position)
    • Mellow Browne has 0x5pts, 3x4pts, 2x3pt (made it 3rd position)
    • KukoBass has 0x5pts, 1x4pts, 2x3pts (made it 4th position)
  • the following users all had 14pts with a participation vote, and 26pts with the bonus points mechanic. To break the tie, the mechanic falls back to "who has higher points"
    • Arelem has 2x5pts, 0x4pts, 1x3pts (made it higher in position)
    • JeroenZuiderwijk has 1x5pts, 1x4pts, 1x3pt
  • The following tie happened due to the offsets with the bonus point mechanic
    • canese acquired 28pts -- but lost out on -5pts because of giving late feedback, resulting in 23pts (made it higher in position)
      OrpheusXL acquired 23pts
  • no (more) users that tied
"Sole (License) Winner" rule does not apply - 3-position Winners Podium (>= 9 participants prior to the deadline)

STATISTICS SHEET:
Overview of Submissions (PDF - updated: 05-APR-2023, full sheet / re-updated: 06-APR-2023)

! Bonus Info
Short info:
I am using Wavelab 10 for batch analysis, then I manually port the CSV export to a Microsoft Excel/Open Office Calc sheet with custom layout (this is not an automated process).

As pointed out in this post from SWC047 / July, Wavelab has different tolerances for dBTP max analysis compared to tools like iZotope RX, Youlean Loudness Meter, NUGEN Audio VisLM, etc. To find a common ground, I've implemented "allowed tolerances" (just like with the Mix Challenge). These are based upon allowed offsets mentioned in the white papers for EBU R128 and ITU-R BS.1770-4. Since no measurement tool is the same, to be on the save side, please export at -14,1 LUFS ILk max, and -1,1 dBTP max.

As usual, I did list/analyze alternative releases (MP3s and FLAC). If you've submitted your entry in multiple file formats, the statistic sheet will focus on the uncompressed material first (WAV), then FLAC, then MP3. The higher the quality, the less possible loss on bonus points for "Loudness Specs" due to offsets introduced by a used CODEC. In this case, FLAC and MP3 are merely for information purposes.

Here are the results as chart in image form:

Thank you so much for your participation. :clap:

⚠ Moderation Message from Mister Fox  
INFORMATION:
As of January 2023, I am now officially adapting the same voting mechanic as most other International Songwriting Competitions utilize. Nearly all of these games use(d) a 01 to 05 points system (top 5 entries) in some shape or form. The main difference to our game: these ones don't offer bonus points or penalty points, neither are they tiered (depending on the participant amount). I hope to get that properly sorted out in form of an extensive Rule Book update within the coming weeks.

:arrow_right: An explanation on the bonus points and penalty points:
  • @A Future In Noise sent in feedback within 24 hours after the deadline, which results in a -5pt deduction. Technically, the feedback is also a photo, but I'll let this slide for this month. No +2pts due to only giving the bar minimum of feedback
  • @canese sent in feedback within 24 hours after the deadline, which results in a -5pt deduction. Another point was lost, due to the file not being properly named
  • @juhu unfortunately didn't reflect on one's experience of this month's game. I therefore deducted -1pt.
  • @madmax's entry couldn't be downloaded. I had to use different means. I therefore reduced the final score by -1pt. An additional -1pt was lost for not properly naming the file (see filename template), and another -1pt for not properly reflecting on one's experience of this month's game.
  • and while it's noble that @OrpheusXL gave points to @GamaGama, unfortunately these points were lost for everyone else, since @GamaGama's entry has been withdrawn and wasn't possible to vote for. An additional -1pt was lost for not properly naming the file (see filename template). I could also not award full bonus points for feedback, since there was only feedback for 9 people instead of 11
Overall, I am both surprised and happy to see that no entry exceeded the given loudness limit this month. I must criticize the sometimes chaotic documentation however. For some users, that was all over the place, spread over several posts. For the future, please use the edit function of the forum to keep all that in your initial submission post. Other than that, I always went for the "final" post regarding feedback and given vote (aimed at @madmax -- who changed the vote with the second post).

I am once more happy with the overall participation and interaction. Three months in row where we're at 10 participants or higher. I hope we can really keep this up, and maybe breach 20 participants this year. That would be utterly amazing, open up room for more interaction and a bigger podium. There are plenty more interesting games in the following months -- so please keep your eyes and ears open. :slight_smile:

I hope you all had fun. See you folks in the next game.

:arrow: License selection:

We'll now perform with the usual. Selecting licenses is handled in public. Please select one license/company out of the pool (in order of the winners podium) and mention it in this thread, then (important) please get in touch with me (via PM) with your full name, email address and your license selection.

As usual - you're not forced to pick up anything. You can pass and therefore offer more to select for the next person in line (if there is a spot existing / not available for "sole winner" mechanic). Just let all participants/winners/the staff know in a timely manner (within 5 days). Once one company has been selected, it's out of the pool for the next person on the podium.

I re-open the field for talking some more about each others' productions. If things drift a bit too off-topic, please use the General Gossip thread, or Discord.

See you in in the next challenge!

Songwriting Competition 068 (April 2023) is still in full swing. There is currently no entry.
juhu

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC067 March 2023 - Winners announced

Post by juhu »

First, congrats and thanks to everyone who submitted a track past month to keep the game on! Had a blast listening to all tracks with an analytical mindset in order to be able to give feedback, and I hope my feedback didn't come across as too harsh. Also, I appreciate the feedback received on my track, especially the harsh ones - something to learn from!

If I understood correctly, I can now pick a license from the pool; so I pick:
Tone2 Saurus3 :hyper:
and hand the rest of the pool over to the runner-up from here.
Mellow Browne

Post by Mellow Browne »

Nice, I didn't expect to end on the podium, it was a very tight decision.

Thanks to all participants, it was very interesting this month and I learned so many new things. And also thanks for the detailed feedback. This makes this place so valuable.

I would like to pick Musiclab RealStrat if @Jorgeelalto is taking another brand other than Musiclab. If not I´ll pick ModoBass 2.

Last but not least, thanks to @Mister Fox for this amazing forum! See you in the next challenge.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

While I appreciate the enthusiasm, it's not been 5 days since the last selection.

So please, let @Jorgeelalto decide on something himself, if he wants to. Thank you.
Jorgeelalto

Post by Jorgeelalto »

Hi,

This wad plenty of fun! Thanks a lot to @Mister Fox and all participants for making it possible and to all voters for the podium!

I am grateful for the license sponsors but I won't take anything as I don't need anything else for my music making setup right now.

I will reply to the feedback and other comments in a few days since I'm away from my computer now.

Cheers!