2024-APR-11 Info: Check out our current running games Mix Challenge 097 and Songwriting Competition 080.

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC068 April 2023 - Winners announced

Thematic Songwriting Competition - recurrence: monthly
bedlamward

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC068 April 2023 - Submissions until 24-04-2023 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by bedlamward »

Mister Fox wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2023 19:03 CEST
The link is working, @bedlamward.
Please also update your post with additional documentation and make the file downloadable.

just noticed the song is not downloadable and greyed out options for public in soundcloud . i'll try again Ed

We're in the final 5 hours of submitting your entry, everyone.
KukoBass
Backer
Backer

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC068 April 2023 - Voting until 01-MAY-2023 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by KukoBass »

Hello everybody,

My experience this month:
This month I learned that if you record live instruments, it would pay off not to rush the process to avoid record artifacts like fingers scratching on the strings, breathing, smacking, klicks, pops, dead notes and so on. Rushed recording equals long time editing which in this case I didn't have the time for.

Feedback
Just some subjective impressions by me. I'm for sure not an expert.
► Show Spoiler

My Top 5
► Show Spoiler
EsteveCorbera

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC068 April 2023 - Voting until 01-MAY-2023 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by EsteveCorbera »

Good afternoon,

I enjoyed the challenge this month because I was able to keep evolving by testing new things and learning from your feedback.
But it seems he didn't participate this month. I don't have a single point. What a shame!!!
I will give you some brief comments.
As always a great level in all subjects. Good job everyone.
Starting from the same premises, very varied topics emerge. Generally very good level.
I make the final votes more on the level of taste preference because I find all the songs you present very well done.

A Future in Noise_Whats Expected From Me
Each with their own style. good song I like the mix of the voice, you gave it a good role. Good initial bass.
Maybe there are times when the voice can be tuned a little. But everything else is fine.

Arelem_Gasoline
Also your style. It is more difficult for me to be able to give you my opinion because this style does not stick to me. Good guitars, they have power. Maybe the vocals could be a little more up front.
Missing information in high bands.

JeroenZuiderwijk_All Night Together
good topic Well done mix. Good rhythms and good guitars. The voice is also good, but it gets too short, only in the final part. There is no voice in the other part of the song. The vinyl sound at the beginning and end sounds a bit forced.

Doc Jon_Maybe I'll Send You A Postcard
great song It's not super original, but it's immediately catchy. Very cool chorus. The voice is very well done. If you didn't say, I would have thought it was real.
I like retro sounds.
The theme at the end is a bit repetitive.

KukoBass_Postcards
The battery sounds a bit off. He sees them as stereo wide and lacks reverb or delays. Like some other fellow said, maybe the mix is too dry. I like the bass and the final trumpet gives it a very cool melancholic touch.

Mellow Browne_Vacation
Quiet topic. Pretty decent mix. Good guitars that come and go. Maybe it's a bit repetitive, maybe a voice is missing?

becsei_gyorgy_Postcards from around the World
Excellent work as always. Varied and original. I like this union of various styles, it's like a trip that you have visited several places and in each place there is a different music. Well done!!
Have you seen the HBO series, White lotus? There is a moment that reminds me of the tune from the second season.
I have few things to criticize. Towards the end, perhaps the rhythm ends up being heavy, too repetitive. But this is more the terrain of personal tastes.

The Exponent_Reverie
Interesting and promising start. This effect attracts attention immediately. I really like it when you put on the vintage synth sound. Good mix and very good sound environment. great job

Bedlamward_Green
Very powerful song. It sounds powerful from the beginning. At the mixing level, I would perhaps give more importance to the vocals. The voices passed by the vocoders are original. Maybe the rhythm could be varied, in the end it gets too repetitive.

canese_Journey to the top
great topic Great!!
Great initial atmosphere that creates a feeling of nostalgia or something.
Long and reverberating pads, but with movement. Very cool!!
I love this type of music, so it's very difficult for me to find things to change.
Just one thing, I wouldn't have added the beat at the end. I would leave it without, little your music was already very interesting and had power.

(translated with google)
► Show Spoiler
A Future in Noise
Song Provider
Song Provider

Post by A Future in Noise »

KukoBass wrote:
Mon May 01, 2023 15:49 CEST
The instrumentation with bass, guitars and organs reminds me of 60s / 70s rock bands.
Of course, why would I like to play anything else? ;)
becsei_gyorgy

Post by becsei_gyorgy »

Hi,
Another month has passed (the passage of time seems quite fast :smile: )
What have I learned this month?
I had a very difficult start this month, I couldn't really get going with the songwriting.
So the first exercise was to persevere.
My second exercise was the correct preparation of the kick-bass, which required a lot of patience from me, not really my favourite. But the melodies were a pleasant occupation, a real pleasure to work on.
Not specifically related to music writing, but the quick assembly and editing of the "videoclip" also was a real pleasure.

About the songs:
► Show Spoiler
Voting:
Voting was particularly difficult because of the wide variety of genres (apples and oranges again). Two songs stood out for me (they were my favourites), but I spent an unusual amount of time pondering and thinking about the rest of the order, because many of them deserved to make the top 5.
► Show Spoiler
The Exponent

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC068 April 2023 - Submissions until 24-04-2023 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by The Exponent »

bedlamward wrote:
Mon May 01, 2023 10:58 CEST
Mister Fox wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2023 19:03 CEST
The link is working, @bedlamward.
Please also update your post with additional documentation and make the file downloadable.

just noticed the song is not downloadable and greyed out options for public in soundcloud . i'll try again Ed

We're in the final 5 hours of submitting your entry, everyone.
Hi! I think you wanted to post something but somehow missed what you wanted to post.
Assuming it was an oversight, can you post what you wanted to post in your next post for this post card themed round?
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC068 April 2023 - results in preparation

Post by Mister Fox »

It's the 02nd May 2023, 00:50 (UTC+2/CEST) - the Voting Period has officially ended.

Sadly, not all participants have submitted final feedback, we would therefore have 2 disqualification.

I will send out another newsletter/message to those particular participants (@Arelem, @bedlamward), give you until the end of Tuesday, 02-MAY-2023 as per the rule book on the voting process ("overtime mechanic"). If there is feedback and a vote by the participant in question, only -5 points will be deducted from the scoresheet. Else, sadly a disqualification.

Once I have this feedback as well, I will post the results within 2-3 days and take "late feedback" into consideration.
(this is not an automated process)

The only disqualification criteria is by "not participating" with feedback at the end of the game. Time constraints can happen -- that is not that big of a deal. However, our community lives from interaction.

Everyone else, please no more changes to your vote. Thank you.

Please have an eye on this thread :educate:
Arelem

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC068 April 2023 - results in preparation

Post by Arelem »

Hello All,

I spent a couple of hours listening and typing out my feedback but when I went to submit, I was met with a message about website maintenance and lost it all. I am not going to have time to go back through everything and provide feedback before the deadline so sorry everyone. Really tough month because everyone did great!

EDIT: I didn't intend to point blame or anything, I was just stating my circumstance. Anyway, I did cobble together at least some feedback. It's not quite as in-depth as my original feedback was but I hit the main points.

Feedback
► Show Spoiler
Vote
► Show Spoiler
Last edited by Arelem on Wed May 03, 2023 04:02 CEST, edited 1 time in total.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

The "maintenance" happened between 1:45 UTC+2/CEST and 2:35 UTC+2/CEST on 02-MAY-2022. I apologize for the inconvenience.

However, the feedback was supposed to be due on 01-MAY-2023. You still got 20 more hours for the "extended feedback". It would be nice to give at least some sort of words of encouragement. It's part of the Rule Book after all.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

It's the 03th May 2023, 03:25 (UTC+2/CEST) - the Voting Period extension has officially ended.

Unfortunately, still not everyone has sent in feedback and cast a vote. We therefore have (at least) 1 disqualification.

Please no more changes to your feedback from this point forward.
I will post the results within 2-3 days. (this is not an automated process)

Please have an eye on this thread :educate: