2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC069 May 2023 - Winners announced

Thematic Songwriting Competition - recurrence: monthly
BenjiRage
Wild Card x1
Wild Card x1

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC069 May 2023 - Submissions until 24-MAY-2023 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by BenjiRage »

I've made a start on a song, but it's been such a loooong time since I've written anything of my own that I'm struggling with it a bit. I'm hoping to get it together this weekend though.

(Also it didn't help that the new Zelda game came out last week, that has eaten up a fair few hours of my time!! :lol:)
JeroenZuiderwijk
Wild Card x2
Wild Card x2

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC069 May 2023 - Submissions until 24-MAY-2023 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by JeroenZuiderwijk »

This month I used the Teenage Engineering Pocket Operator 14 Sub (PO14 Sub) as the base of my song. It is an old device with limited possibilities, but an amazing sound. I made a couple of basslines and with that i arranged a song. The beat is mostly some samples from Renoise. The synth is the Predator from Rob Papen. The background 'noise' is a guitar playing a bend chord with lots of distortion, a sweeping filter and reberb. The vocal is me singing through a Rode condensor mic with lots of saturation and aggressive high pass and low pass filtering in the verse. The lyrics are a bit hard to understand because of all the noise so here are the lyrics:

Running, the wave is moving fast, you are living in the past, the wave is moving fast (2x)

A kingsize life’s your call, know one day you’ll lose it all, say your prayers preparing for the fall
Chase dreams catch the light, moon will pull, comes high tide, frozen in the moment to survive…

Shadows, are growing in the dark, but you don’t have to worry, don’t worry…don’t worry…
Running the wave is moving fast, you're living in the past, the wave is moving fast...

A kingsize life’s your call, know one day you’ll lose it all, say your prayers preparing for the fall
Chase dreams catch the light, moon will pull, comes high tide, frozen in the moment to survive…

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ahp8xH6KRIfbgXV3R7Y ... f?e=X8Cc0H

cheers,

Jeroen
Johnny11771

Post by Johnny11771 »

here is my submission, it is all instrumental mostly keyboards from cubase 12. I hope you enjoy.
thanks, john

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1f7sEd2 ... sp=sharing
becsei_gyorgy

Post by becsei_gyorgy »

Hi,

my submission this month:

phpBB [media]

VST, FX:
► Show Spoiler
Last edited by becsei_gyorgy on Mon May 22, 2023 19:04 CEST, edited 2 times in total.
EsteveCorbera

Post by EsteveCorbera »

Challenge companions and Mister Fox, Good night!!

We'll be here again.
This month it was hard for me to find inspiration. I spent many days not knowing where to shoot. But one day things changed and I came up with what I present to you this more.
Based on modular synthesizers I made this theme of electronic music.
Like some of the examples that Mister Fox has given us this month, the theme does not have a conventional structure, but it starts little by little and I introduce more things to the end, eliminating them and returning to a simpler part.
I have also added voices, in this case of my youngest son Nil and of my wife Lucia.
They only sing two words :)

Electro Fun

I hope you like it.

Thank you colleagues.

(translated with google)

Equipment:
DAW:

Reason 12.6

Instruments:
Rytmik Drum Machine
Monotone Bass Synthesizer
Complex-1 Modular Synthesizer

Effects:
RV7000 MkII Advanced Reverb
The Echo
MClass Maximizer
Synchronous Effect Modulator

Players:
Scales & Chords
Beat Map Algorhythmic Drummer
Pattern Mutator

Utilities:
Combinator
Line Mixer 6:2
Spider Audio Merger & Splitter

Reason Packs (Presets):
Complex Classics

Reason Rack Extension:
BASSGRID Filter X1
RobPapen Go2-RE
LoveOne Consulting AB Phonetic Vintage Phone Simulator

Other instruments outside of Reason:
AIR Music Tech Boom
Arturia OP-Xa
Loomer String
Cherry Audio Voltage Modular

Other effects outside of Reason:
Rob Papen RP-Pan
Plugin-alliance SPL De-Verb Plus
iZotope VocalSynth v2

Samples:
Glitchedtones - Abstract Sound Design
Soundtrack Loops Tribal Tech
Soundtrack Loops Alien Worlds Retro Sci-Fi Effects

Other tools:
iZotope Ozone 9
Plugin Alliance SPL HawEye
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC069 May 2023 - Submissions until 24-MAY-2023 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Mister Fox »

:arrow_right: A short update for everyone

Due to personal (and time-restrictive) reasons, the Voting Process for SWC069 May 2023 will not start as usual (meaning: early in the night on the 25th), but actually more towards the end of the day of 25th. I apologize in advance for the inconvenience.

Including today, there are still 3 days left for songwriting. So far we have 6 entries, but barely any other interaction.
Please keep it up! :headphones:
ontrackp

Post by ontrackp »

I chose to do a deep dive with U-he Bazille which I've owned since it came out but have only used a handful of times. Drums (except for the active Toms) are a couple of Bigwig drum kits. Everything else is Bazille.

The composition is kind of segmented and was designed to explore the various features of Bazille, with emphasis on using the modulation sequencer and the value Maps. It was fun.

https://soundcloud.com/ontrackp/swc069- ... p-carnival

DAW: BitWig
Synths: Bazille, BitWig drum kit
Processing: Plugin Alliance SSL channels, Amek 9099 Channel Strip, WAVES SSL channels, C6, F6, L316, H-Comp, Abbey Road Plates, vintage EQ, CLA 2A, CLA 3A, CLA-76, SSL Compressor, SSL EQ, WLM+ and SPAN for metering, Tokyo Dawn Labs TDR Limiter No6 GE.

Enjoy.
Doc Jon

Post by Doc Jon »

The first thing that came into my mind when thinking "This is nice!" was the idea of world unity and world peace. I like to aim big :grin:
I decided to use plugins which brought a smile to my face from the very first time I used them and made me think "Well, this is nice!"
Everything is electronic apart from the guitar and some of the percussion, had to use the Virtual Guitarist as it still puts a smile on my face even after using it for 16 years!

Cubase 12 Pro

Superior Drummer -> TRackS VC670, CamelPhat
Bass - u-he Diva
Leads - u-he ACE
Pads/Strings - u-he Zebra 2
Arps - Z3TA+, FabFilter Twin 2
Steinberg Virtual Guitarist 2
Main Vocal -> iZotope Nectar 3, Image Line Vocodex
Backing Vocals - Synthesizer V (Solaria and Mia) -> iZotope Nectar 3
iZotope Trash 2 and FabFilter Saturn giving some saturation here and there
ValhallaRoom reverb
Ozone 10
TRackS metering and Voxengo Span keeping an eye on everything

Integrated loudness -14.24 LUFS
True Peak -1.08 dBTP
https://lufs.org/

Lyrics
► Show Spoiler
Last edited by Doc Jon on Tue May 23, 2023 23:48 CEST, edited 1 time in total.
BenjiRage
Wild Card x1
Wild Card x1

Post by BenjiRage »

@Doc Jon I love this, brilliant job it sounds great! I really like the lyrics too, very well chosen and great rhythm - spot on for delivery of the message :tu:

Sadly it doesn't look like my song is going to be finished by tomorrow :cry:, I've had a client job the past 7 days that has required all my free time so alas I'll have to save it for the next challenge.
avinash

Post by avinash »

Hi everyone,

Here is my latest instrumental track called "In Rhythm". It's the first time I am submitting music to this Mix Challenge forum. By the way, I am in Mauritius, a small island state in the Indian Ocean.

I have used some of my favourite software instruments in Reaper to compose and produce the track. These include Falcon (UVI), SynthMaster 2 (KV331 Audio) and JUNO-60 (Roland Cloud). BlueARP (omg-instruments). DS Tantra 2 (Plugin Alliance) and OneKnob Pumper Stereo (Waves) helped me impart some movement. I also used the SSL Native Channel Strip 2 on each channel.

For mixing, I used the SSL Native Channel Strip 2, TBTECH Kirchhoff-EQ (Plugin Alliance) and a bit of sidechain compression courtesy of H-Comp Stereo (Waves).

Finally, for mastering, I relied on my usual chain of powerful plugins which include TDR SlickEQ M (Tokyo Dawn Labs), Gullfoss Master (Soundtheory), Shadow Hills Class A Mastering Comp (Plugin Alliance), Black Box Analog Design HG-2MS (Plugin Alliance), Weiss MM-1 Mastering Maximizer (Softube) and TDR Limiter 6 GE (Tokyo Dawn Labs).

Hope you like the result.

Avinash

[FINAL ENTRY]
Last edited by avinash on Fri May 26, 2023 11:40 CEST, edited 2 times in total.