2024-APR-11 Info: Check out our current running games Mix Challenge 097 and Songwriting Competition 080.

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC069 May 2023 - Winners announced

Thematic Songwriting Competition - recurrence: monthly
FixInTheMix

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC069 May 2023 - Voting until 01-JUN-2023 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by FixInTheMix »

Hi everyone, here are my top 7 entries
► Show Spoiler
Personally, I enjoyed this month's challenge as I don´t usually go for electronic-based songs, it gave me a chance to practice a little bit more on sound design, automation, and also resampling.
Furthermore, it made me realize how much one can make out of a synth, even a pretty limited one.
I know I rushed things in the end to meet the deadline but I´m still happy with the end result.

Now I´ll try to give feedback to all of the entries since it´s the main reason to participate in the first place.
► Show Spoiler
Good luck to all participants and I'm eager to hear your feedback!

Cheers.
JeroenZuiderwijk
Wild Card x2
Wild Card x2

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC069 May 2023 - Voting until 01-JUN-2023 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by JeroenZuiderwijk »

Good idea to dust off some old equipment. The PO14 Sub is so much fun to work with. The limitations are actualy a great inspiration. And it can sound so enormous for such a little device :-)
This month contest was a good opportunity to not only make some cool bassriffs but actually build a whole song around it. And I am glad I did. When I had the songstructure ready the melody and lyrics came naturally. Experimenting with guitar to make it sound like not a guitar was also very fun to try out. It gives an energy to te music that I really like.

This month a lot of interesting songs. I did managed to pick a top 7:
► Show Spoiler
And here is my feedback to all the songs:
► Show Spoiler
Cheers, Jeroen
Last edited by JeroenZuiderwijk on Tue May 30, 2023 11:09 CEST, edited 3 times in total.
Arelem

Post by Arelem »

Hello All,

I tried to stick to more of the stock synths for most of the sounds because I tend to use 3rd party most of the time. There are some really good plug-ins included with FL Studio and I need to get more familiar with them. I also had a lot of fun messing with the vocals. I saw that someone had a hard time telling if it is male or female; in processing, I ended up making my voice sound very feminine, so I just went with it. (they are male originally BTW)

I tried to format my feedback in a way that made it easy to read but the text gets a little shuffled when it's in a spoil message so I removed that. It's still a little wonky, but hopefully you are all still able to make sense of it :grin: .

KukoBass – Good: thumpy kick, interesting bass synth, good background foley.
Areas to improve: lead synth has an interesting sound but what it’s playing is a little uninspired. The plucks and the bass overlap a bit too much
and muddy things up.
JereonZuiderwijk – Good: I like the way the vocals are processed and integrated, fits really well. Interesting glitch effects.
Areas to improve: The lead synth doesn’t really fit the vibe of the rest of the song to me.
Johnny11771 – Good: Strong 80s vibe. Groovy bass. Nice fills. Interesting breaks. Great guitar solo.
Areas to improve: First half of the song has no lead so it gets a bit repetitive.
Becsei gyorgy – Good: Good use of foley. Good groove overall and nice bass line. Good sound selection/sound design. Despite not having much of a
lead, the bass line really helps drive the track and keep the listener following along.
Areas to improve: Maybe not an improvement so much, but I’d like to see how this sounds with a clap added on the 2 and 4; at least in the
drops of the track.
EsteveCorbera – Good: Big ethereal soundscape of the pads and arps. Drums have some nice variations.
Areas to improve: The drums kind of get lost in the mix. Maybe either push them up in the mix or use some sidechain on the other elements.
The vocoded vocals are a bit too loud.
Ontrackp – Good: The track has a fun, eclectic quality to it. Good use of foley.
Areas to improve: The bells are a bit piercing. Crashes are too loud IMO. Same with the shrill synth that comes in around 1:40.
Doc Jon – Good: Fun synth bass. Good vocal processing. I like all the different parts that come and go throughout the track; keeps things fun and
interesting.
Areas to improve: Nit-picking here but the vocoded vocals are a little too aggressively modulated and could be a little more understandable.
Avinash – Good: Nice rhythm and very pleasant arps. I like the swelling pads and twinkle that followed it.
Areas to improve: Song does not change a whole lot throughout and gets a little boring.
SoundBeing – Good: Nice guitar playing. Nice big kick. Really like the change-up at around the 1:40 mark.
Areas to improve: The gated synth gets a little annoying after a while. The high-pitched arp at the end is a little piercing.
Mellow Browne – Good: Really like the static panning/gated effect. The main arp-y synth really glues everything together.
Areas to improve: I think the track would benefit from some much more present drums; the rest of the track has an almost epic feel to it but
it’s accompanied by comparatively wimpy drums.
VCA-089 – Good: Nice big kick and snare. The lead piano/synth has a really pleasant tone and is well-processed.
Areas to improve: The off-beat hi-hats were really distracting. The low end gets a bit muddy between the main bass and the lower arp-y
sounds.
Crosshatched – Good: Lead synth has really interesting articulations/modulations. Nice piano playing and processed well; it fits the track nicely.
Areas to improve: I did not care for the portion between transitions with the organs; things got a little messy there. Song ends a bit abruptly.
FixInTheMix – Good: Very groovy. Nice bass. Drums fit the track really well. Retro vibe with a modern twist. Interesting melody. Tom fills.
Areas to improve: Being a bit nit-picky, the arps at the end are a little much. They are mixed decently but they are pretty present a little too
constant to me. (I don’t think they are really necessary)
Canese – Good: Big epic-sounding drops. Interesting LFO’d synth. Nice piano
Areas to improve: Kick is lacking any punch; maybe process it differently or sidechain the other sounds to help it punch through more.
Additionally, I really think this is a great start but it is just lacking something to really make it stand out. I’m not sure what that is, but the
bones are there for a great track.

My vote:
► Show Spoiler
Crosshatched

Post by Crosshatched »

All right, my comments are as usual subjective. I can get impatient at waiting for the repetitions in EDM and I have heavy suspicions of artificial-sounding voices, and this might disadvantage electronic music. I do like synths and some degree of EDM, anyway. I basically like listening to songs on this site.

Here's the ranking:
► Show Spoiler
Here are comments:
► Show Spoiler
Here are notes about my submission:
► Show Spoiler
JeroenZuiderwijk
Wild Card x2
Wild Card x2

Post by JeroenZuiderwijk »

Crosshatched wrote:
Tue May 30, 2023 02:42 CEST

JeroenZuiderwijk
Really beep-ish sounds, but hey I like the sarcasm of the chords. Is it dissonance or harmony or what? I suppose it's something like 2-tone phones.
Why do I just like this so much.
Just a nice song with cool lyrics
For some reason, I'm fine with the vocal processing.
Cute non-ending.

Yes, you could say that there is some sarcasm in those chords/sounds. They are not even totally in tune and where obivously not meant to sound 'nice' ;-) I liked the rawness and imperfection of the dissonant sound and boldness of the feeling it gives to the song.
KukoBass
Backer
Backer

Post by KukoBass »

Hello all!

My experience this month:
I found it pretty difficult at first to abandon my usual approach (go to my favourite instruments, fiddle around on the keyboard and build the song up from there). I clicked through several synthesizers and their sounds but found this pretty uninspiring. This changed when I found the bass synth sound. I knew right away that I wanted to use this, and had fun building up a song around it.

Feedback: As always, take it with a grain of salt. I'm still in my first year of writing songs.
► Show Spoiler

My Top 7
► Show Spoiler
EsteveCorbera

Post by EsteveCorbera »

Good afternoon,

I enjoyed the challenge this month because I got to experiment with synths that I have in my arsenal that I've barely used.
I want to welcome the new additions and also say hello to the regulars.
It's great to be more participants this month.
As always very good level. Good job everyone.
I will give you some brief comments.

KukoBass__Overlaps
Interesting start. I like retro synth sounds. The mix seems right to me. The bass line seems to be separate from the melody. But in the end it all gets a bit repetitive. It would be necessary to introduce some other element that would arouse interest.

Arelem_Inside
Interesting voice treatment. good effects Although it is difficult to understand, it's applied effects are interesting. Maybe I would have given more prominence to the vocals, they sound too muffled. I like the piano melody, which is quite catchy. good mix

JeroenZuiderwijk__WavesAreMovingFast
Theme bonds built. The play you do with the voices, like a dialogue, is very good. Good effects with filters. I would say the same as the previous colleague, maybe the voices sound too muffled. A little more prominence would be needed. Good job.

Johnny11771 (j.kutkowski)-X-
It's more rock than electronic. The electric guitar sounds great, very powerful, but maybe not the best for the proposal of the month.
Maybe the other frequencies sound too bright?
Likewise, I really like the theme, it reminds me of soundtracks from the 90s.

becsei_gyorgy__Womb
It reminds me of the sound of Jean Michel Jarre's Electronica CD. Good selection of sounds and effects. The background vocals are really cool. As always, the workmanship and finishes are impeccable.
But this month it's missing something, I don't know, it's done as if on autopilot.

OnTrackP_Carnival
Interesting sounds chosen. Very original But they seem a bit dissonant and too chaotic. Maybe it's too innovative for me, which doesn't mean it's bad. The mix looks great to me.

Doc Jon__One United Nation
good topic Good start with reverse effects. Very well done voices. Very well harmonized. The rhythm is very cool. Masterful mix.
There are no defects to comment on or things to improve.

avinash__In Rhythm - avinashmeetoo
Welcome to the composition challenge. I like the sounds you chose. But the development of the theme lacks variation. After a while you wait for things to happen that don't end up happening.
Some of the percussive elements, I would have put some reverb on them to create more depth, but the mix is good.

SoundBeing Lickable Blotter Paper – SpeakerSonic
I like the melody you are drawing with the bass and the synthesizers. Great combination of strange sounds that come together in a good mix. The guitar is very cool.

MellowBrowne__ModularArt
For a subject made in a short time, the thing is not bad. Yes, it is noticeable that the thing does not have a defined purpose. The idea of putting two different pieces together is curious, but it doesn't look bad.
I like the honeyed melody of the middle part of the theme.

VCA-089__RideOn
Good sound effects, laughs, etc. Very good sound environments. Powerful beat that pairs well with delayed synth melodies. I think it lacks a slightly more defined purpose.
At times the beats seem out of tune with the song.

Crosshatched__Swoon_Waltz
I really like the atmosphere at the beginning and the end. What I don't understand is the middle part. It looks like it was added with cut and paste. Of the rest, I would highlight the sad or emotional melody that you draw and transport us to another world.
But what about the end? What happened?

FixInTheMix__Noisemaker
A song that could perhaps be defined as 70s disco?
I like the bass that accompanies the melody very well. The sounds sound very retro.
Maybe the theme is getting a little repetitive.

canese_give me what I need
This time I don't know what to tell you. Your topic didn't hook me. It's a good job, but something is missing. Or maybe read about the constant repetition of piano chords. I do not know. good mix

(translated with google)
► Show Spoiler
becsei_gyorgy

Post by becsei_gyorgy »

Hi,

It has been an interesting month too.
This was my third electronic song in a row in this competition - next time I'd change it up a bit :)
Unlike last month's song, I wanted to give more space to the individual sounds.
I wanted a cleaner, simpler, more minimal soundscape with 2-3 main sound only.
With fewer contending instruments present, I wanted to focus more on playing with space and depth.
Overall I'm happy with my session and the result, in the third month I'm getting into the routine of tuning the kick-bass, the perpetual sidechain etc.
It was a good practice.

It's especially nice to see so many songs in the competition, we have an extended TOP7, but unfortunately it didn't make it any easier to select the top songs and rank them. :)
Each song was a great match for the theme/genre of the month and each song in some way deserved a top ranking.

Here are my comments. I'm not going to over-praise the songs, but rather write down what I would change, which is of course a personal, subjective thing.
► Show Spoiler

Votes:
► Show Spoiler
Doc Jon

Post by Doc Jon »

Things I have learned during this month’s competition:
This month I got to grips with the Vocoder, something I have tended to avoid in the past because it sounds complicated with carriers and modulators etc and I would get confused as to how to set it up in my DAW to get any sound at all out of it!
I also learned that with the appropriate vocal processing I could produce something passable as a ‘rap’ for the middle eight of my track, first time I had ever tried this style and I will now be happy to try it again in the future

Feedback
► Show Spoiler
Voting
► Show Spoiler
Mellow Browne

Post by Mellow Browne »

Hey there,

What I learned this month:
I have a better understanding of my own emotional connection to music. And it is not always easy to give constructive feedback because music is so dependent on your preferences and expectations. Another difficulty is the language, this takes much more time and effort. I know, there are tools like translators and stuff, I still prefer to challenge myself by not using them. Writing is not speaking!

► Show Spoiler
My voting:
► Show Spoiler