2024-APR-11 Info: Check out our current running games Mix Challenge 097 and Songwriting Competition 080.

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC070 June 2023 - Winners announced

Thematic Songwriting Competition - recurrence: monthly
VCA-089

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC070 June 2023 - Voting until 01-JUL-2023 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by VCA-089 »

This round I had an opportunity to experiment and blend my favorite sounds and aesthetics in new ways. I'm glad that everyone was very creative this time and brought something interesting and unique rather than going down that "clapping whistling ukulele" abyss.

My feedback:
► Show Spoiler
Voting:
► Show Spoiler
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC070 June 2023 - results in preparation

Post by Mister Fox »

It's the 02nd July 2023, 00:50 (UTC+2/CEST) - the Voting Period has officially ended.

If I saw correctly, everyone has sent in feedback and cast a vote, we therefore have no disqualification.

Please no more changes to your feedback from this point forward.
I will post the results within 2-3 days. (this is not an automated process)

Please have an eye on this thread :educate:
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

Ladies and Gentlemen, here are the results of Songwriting Competition 70

:arrow: The winners podium consists of:
  1. @Doc Jon (44 pts)
  2. @FixInTheMix (38 pts)
  3. @VCA-089 (33 pts)

Apologies for the waiting time, this is not an automated process.

<4 participant rule is not in use (staff comments and votes, my vote would count as bonus)
We have 0 disqualifications (due to lack of feedback / a final vote)
We have 0 withdrawn entries (but counts as submission within the deadline, yet couldn't be voted for)
We have several users still in the game that tied
  • The following tie happened due to the offsets with the bonus point mechanic
    • Arelem acquired 14pts with the participation vote -- but lost out on -1pts because of not using the filename template properly, resulting in 25pts (else 26pts)
    • KukoBAss acquired 13pts with the participation vote -- but he scored all possible bonus points (resulting in 25pts)
  • no (more) users that tied
"Sole (License) Winner" rule does not apply - 3-position Winners Podium (>= 9 participants prior to the deadline)

STATISTICS SHEET:
Overview of Submissions (PDF - updated: 02-JUL-2023, full sheet)

! Bonus Info
Short info:
I am using Wavelab 10 for batch analysis, then I manually port the CSV export to a Microsoft Excel/Open Office Calc sheet with custom layout (this is not an automated process).

As pointed out in this post from SWC047 / July 2021, Wavelab has different tolerances for dBTP max analysis compared to tools like iZotope RX, Youlean Loudness Meter, NUGEN Audio VisLM, etc. To find a common ground, I've implemented "allowed tolerances" (just like with the Mix Challenge). These are based upon allowed offsets mentioned in the white papers for EBU R128 and ITU-R BS.1770-4. Since no measurement tool is the same, to be on the save side, please export at -14,1 LUFS ILk max, and -1,1 dBTP max.

As usual, I did list/analyze alternative releases (MP3s and FLAC). If you've submitted your entry in multiple file formats, the statistic sheet will focus on the uncompressed material first (WAV), then FLAC, then MP3. The higher the quality, the less possible loss on bonus points for "Loudness Specs" due to offsets introduced by a used CODEC. In this case, FLAC and MP3 are merely for information purposes.

Here are the results as chart in image form:

Thank you so much for your participation. :clap:

⚠ Moderation Message from Mister Fox  
INFORMATION:
As of January 2023, I am adapting the same voting mechanic as most other International Songwriting Competitions utilize. Nearly all of these games use(d) a 01 to 05 points system (top 5 entries) in some shape or form. The main difference to our game: these ones don't offer bonus points or penalty points, neither are they tiered (depending on the participant amount). I hope to get that properly sorted out in form of an extensive Rule Book update in the foreseeable future (serious apologies for the waiting time).

:arrow_right: An explanation on the bonus points and penalty points:
  • I've been more strict this month regarding the filename template and therefore withdrawing -1pt on the score sheet. A lot of you used empty spaces between the words instead of underscores. The reason why I'm so pedantic this time, is that this can result in severe server issues, making it impossible to update/remove your files (I've been at this point myself). This is why I gave two clear examples in post #001 for SWC071 / July 2023. Overall, this didn't have any influence on the Winners Podium.
  • related to that topic, the Score Sheet above actually lists @canese's entry in the correct written form of the filename template. However, he used SWC069__TrackName__ForumUsername.wav instead of the provided naming convention.
  • I unfortunately had to withdraw -1pt each for @lxm.labxmusic and @FallenAngel, since neither of the final feedback/vote post offered some form of reflection for this month's game (personal learning experience). Although lxm.labxmusic was really happy to have been welcomed into our community, and was also excited to read all the feedback.
  • on that behalf, @canese also sadly lost on -1pt of the maximum available 2pts bonus, because of only giving feedback to 8 participants
The rest was down to fine detail (loudness specs). And I do recommend providing one(!) file in the future only. So far, I have been very lenient on the topic of "additional released versions", and merely provided bonus info regarding loudness specs. However, I am considering either only focusing on the "highest" provided material as of SWC071 / July 2023, or taking the "most faulty one" into account for bonus point calculation (MP3s tend to overshoot regarding loudness specs). I might update the rule book accordingly once I've made up my mind on this.

I also kindly ask everyone to maybe talk a bit more about one's production in future games. Especially the post with the final version.

I did not further comment on the song length of your entries. Technically, the task was to provide something between 2:30min to 3:30min of runtime. Half of you adhered to that. It is still okay for this month. All of you showed some amazing creativity. However, this is an important detail for SWC071 / July 2023, so please keep that in mind.

And while we dropped back to 11 participants again, I am still happy to see all of you having fun with the offered themes and tasks. Some of you also started to change perspective on personal and/or preferred styles with songwriting. However, I would still love to see us keeping the participant momentum. There are still some very cool ideas / themes to come this year. :slight_smile:

Please keep at it, spread the word, interact. See you folks in the next game.

:arrow: License selection:

We will now perform with the usual. Selecting of licenses is handled in public. Please select one license/company out of the pool (in order of the winners podium) and mention it in this thread, then (important) please get in touch with me (via PM) with your full name, email address and your license selection.

As usual - you're not forced to pick up anything. You can pass and therefore offer more to select for the next person in line (if there is a spot existing / not available for "sole winner" mechanic). Just let all participants/winners/the staff know in a timely manner (within 5 days). Once one company has been selected, it's out of the pool for the next person on the podium.

I re-open the field for talking some more about each others' productions. If things drift a bit too off-topic, please use the General Gossip thread, or Discord.

See you in in the next challenge!

Songwriting Competition 071 (July 2023) is still in full swing.
There is currently no entry. :educate:
Doc Jon

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC070 June 2023 - Winners announced

Post by Doc Jon »

Wow! That's great, thanks very much for the votes and feedback :hug:

Thanks to Mister Fox as always for all the hard work in keeping the competition running so well

I will choose MusicLab RealRick as my prize please :smile:

See you all next month :tu:
EsteveCorbera

Post by EsteveCorbera »

Congratulations to the winners and good job everyone!!! :phones:

Esteve
FixInTheMix

Post by FixInTheMix »

Thanks to all of you for your feedback, I will keep it in mind for further tweaks down the line.

Congratulations to @Doc Jon and @VCA-089

I'm guessing that since one of the MusicLab guitars has already been selected as prize I wouldn´t be allowed to pick a different one right? If that`s the case then I´ll skip picking a prize altogether.

Again thanks for the kind words and congratulation to the winners!
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

You are correct in that assumption.

I am terribly sorry, but this is how this works... once a company has been picked, it's not available for selection anymore.
VCA-089

Post by VCA-089 »

Congrats @Doc Jon and @FixInTheMix!

I'll skip my prize selection...