2024-APR-11 Info: Check out our current running games Mix Challenge 097 and Songwriting Competition 080.

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC077 January 2024 - Winners announced

Thematic Songwriting Competition - recurrence: monthly
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC077 January 2024 - results in preparation

Post by Mister Fox »

It's the 03rd February 2024, 05:00 (UTC+1/CET) - the Voting Period extension has officially ended.

Unfortunately, not everyone has sent in feedback and cast a vote (still). We therefore have 1 disqualification.

Please no more changes to your feedback from this point forward.
I will post the results within 2-3 workdays. (this is not an automated process)

Please have an eye on this thread :educate:
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

Ladies and Gentlemen, here are the results of Songwriting Competition 077

:arrow_right: The winners podium consists of:
  1. @VCA-089 (36 pts)
  2. @Mellow Browne (31 pts)
  3. @crispy (27 pts)

Apologies for the waiting time, this is not an automated process.

<4 participant rule is not in use (staff comments and votes, my vote would count as bonus)
We have 1 disqualification (due to lack of feedback / a final vote)
We have 1 withdrawn entry (but counts as submission within the deadline, yet couldn't be voted for)
We have several users still in the game that tied
  • The following ties on the chart happened due to various reasons
    • APi_ZZ acquired 9pts with the participation vote -- the participant has otherwise all bonus points (resulting in 19pts)
    • scottfitz has 1x3pts, 2x2pts, 0x1pts, resulting in 7pts with the participation vote -- the participant has otherwise all bonus points (resulting in 19pts)
    • JeroenZuiderwijk has 1x3pts, 0x2pts, 4x1pts, resulting in 7pts with the participation vote -- the participant has otherwise all bonus points, but has lower participation scores from votes overall (resulting in 19pts)
  • no (more) users that tied
"Sole (License) Winner" rule does not apply - 3-position Winners Podium (>= 9 participants prior to the deadline)

STATISTICS SHEET:
Overview of Submissions (PDF - updated: 04-FEB-2024, full sheet)

! Bonus Info
Short info:
I am using Wavelab 10 for batch analysis, then I manually port the CSV export to a Microsoft Excel/Open Office Calc sheet with custom layout (this is not an automated process).

As pointed out in this post from SWC047 / July 2021, Wavelab has different tolerances for dBTP max analysis compared to tools like iZotope RX, Youlean Loudness Meter, NUGEN Audio VisLM, etc. To find a common ground, I've implemented "allowed tolerances" (just like with the Mix Challenge). These are based upon allowed offsets mentioned in the white papers for EBU R128 and ITU-R BS.1770-4. Since no measurement tool is the same, to be on the save side, please export at -14,1 LUFS ILk max, and -1,1 dBTP max.

As usual, I did list/analyze alternative releases (MP3s and FLAC). If you've submitted your entry in multiple file formats, the statistic sheet will focus on the uncompressed material first (WAV), then FLAC, then MP3. The higher the quality, the less possible loss on bonus points for "Loudness Specs" due to offsets introduced by a used CODEC. In this case, FLAC and MP3 are merely for information purposes.

Here are the results as chart in image form:

Thank you so much for your participation. :clap:

⚠ Moderation Message from Mister Fox  
INFORMATION:
As of January 2023, I am adapting the same voting mechanic as most other International Songwriting Competitions utilize. Nearly all of these games use(d) a 01 to 05 points system (top 5 entries) in some shape or form. The main difference to our game: these ones don't offer bonus points or penalty points, neither are they tiered (depending on the participant amount). I hope to get that properly sorted out in form of an extensive Rule Book update in the foreseeable future (serious apologies for the waiting time).

:arrow_right: Breaking up a tie:

There was no unbreakable tie that needed to be addressed. The ties were "sorted out" with the known fallback mechanics of the game.

:arrow_right: Lack of participation:

It really pains me to once again see users not participating with the global feedback process. While this is completely your prerogative to decide to not invest any more time, I consider it a bit unfair that you (the participant) get extensive feedback, yet give nothing back in return. Not even the bare minimum. Without feedback, the general concept for this game game doesn't really work out. Giving feedback to everyone is never mandatory - but it is encouraged. Please reconsider your stance on this topic for the next game.

:arrow_right: An explanation on the bonus points and penalty points:
  • I've withdrawn 4pts from @msgsaltsweet, and also 2pts from @APi_ZZ for exceeding the loudness specs.
  • I've withdrawn 1pt each from @crispy and @VCA-089 for not using the filename template (see post #001). Main topics: double underscore, and forum username association. (the file to download on SoundCloud can be different than the name of the SoundCloud link).
  • @A Future In Noise kindly asked to have his entry turn into a Bonus Entry (Withdrawn). He sadly also decided to not participate in the game any further. On that behalf, I also deducted 2pts for the entry documentation. While "I created 2 wavetables from the samples" is giving us a vague idea... it is also a quite vague description.
  • I have addressed a -2pt penalty for @crispy due to the fact, that the feedback arrived after the deadline... twice even. The first time, I considered it "a server glitch" and was not going to address any penalty, even though the feedback was a bit scarce. I then sent out a reminder newsletter to all participants with the option to edit given feedback until the "overtime" has been finished. The user in question once more posted hours after the second deadline. @crispy did participate in the feedback / voting process. Yet in fairness to every other participant that got this sorted out within the given time frames, I had to address this. The penalty does not have an influence on the position of the score-sheet. Please consider this as a learning experience and try to prevent this in the future.
  • I have addressed a -2pt penalty for @msgsaltsweet due to the fact, that the entry has been "removed" in the middle of the voting process, making it impossible for others to listen and give feedback to this entry. Thankfully, I had a backup and noticed this problem within a reasonable time. I have been very lenient with this decision. I even ignored the 14min run time (participants are kindly asked to not exceed 10 minutes) and let that entry count - you have created something in the first place, you were already a winner in my book. However, IMHO, it is not fair to all other participants to gather feedback, and bow out in the middle of the game without any further given reason. Due to this, the entry has been "disqualified" (not participating in the feedback / voting process).

You have all done an amazing job, please continue to spread the word. Let's boost the participation for all games throughout 2024 again. Looking forward to reach 20 entries per month, which in turn means more feedback, and a possible bigger Winners Podium.

See you folks in the next game.

:arrow_right: License selection:

We will now perform with the usual. Selecting of licenses is handled in public. Please select one license/company out of the pool (in order of the winners podium) and mention it in this thread, then (important) please get in touch with me (via PM) with your full name, email address and your license selection.

As usual - you're not forced to pick up anything. You can pass and therefore offer more to select for the next person in line (if there is a spot existing / not available for "sole winner" mechanic). Just let all participants/winners/the staff know in a timely manner (within 5 days). Once one company has been selected, it's out of the pool for the next person on the podium.

I re-open the field for talking some more about each others' productions. If things drift a bit too off-topic, please use the General Gossip thread, or Discord.

See you in in the next challenge!

Songwriting Competition 078 (February 2024) is still in full swing.

There is currently one (number: 01) entry. :educate:
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

⚠ Moderation Message from Mister Fox  
As part of a new collaboration with Hornet Plugins, you are allowed to select either 2 plugins at a maximum value of 20 EUR MSRP for both, or one individual plugin of choice from the whole available plugin range (bundles are exempt).

Due to time constraints, I could not make a bigger announcement about this yet. Apologies for the inconvenience.
EsteveCorbera

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC077 January 2024 - Winners announced

Post by EsteveCorbera »

Thanks for your comments and congratulations to the winners :tu:
VCA-089

Post by VCA-089 »

Congrats to @Mellow Browne and @crispy, well deserved!

If it's possible, I would like to take "Year Two Collection" by Cherry Audio. If it's not, I'll pass...
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

I can certainly do that. Please check your PM inbox, @VCA-089.

Next up on the podium is @Mellow Browne.
Mellow Browne

Post by Mellow Browne »

Hey there,

congrats to @VCA-089 and @crispy. Thanks everyone for the feedback.

And thanks to @Mister Fox for this opportunity. As prize I would like to pick Musiclab RealLPC, please.

See you at the next SWC!
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

Just handled the license request... please enjoy!

Final selection would be for @crispy. :thinking: