2024-APR-11 Info: Check out our current running games Mix Challenge 097 and Songwriting Competition 080.

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC077 January 2024 - Winners announced

Thematic Songwriting Competition - recurrence: monthly
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC077 January 2024 - Submissions until 24-JAN-2024 23:59 UTC+1/CET

Post by Mister Fox »

A friendly reminder:
Including today, 7 days left to submit your production.

So far, we have 6 entries, and already plenty of interaction. Please keep it up!

If you want to access the extended game mechanics of the Songwriting Competition (asking for feedback during production), please try to release your first edits within the next 3 days to have enough time to get possible feedback (if needed/wanted) and continue to work on your song. Please also remember, vocals are not mandatory -- instrumentals are just as welcome.

And to those sitting on the fence - please don't feel scared off and think "the bar is set too high, I will never make it" - set yourself a shorter private deadline. Just make music, submit your entry, join the conversation. See where this goes.

By joining, you're already a winner. The rest is bonus. :tu:

:arrow_right: To all current active participants:
Please also update your initial post and provide the most recent version there by the time the deadline has been reached. This makes it easier for me to collect all entries at the end of the submission period.
A Future in Noise
Song Provider
Song Provider

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC077 January 2024 - Submissions until 24-JAN-2024 23:59 UTC+1/CET

Post by A Future in Noise »

I created two wavetables from the source material and used them in the Surge XT-synth.

Could I transform this submission to a bonus track @Mister Fox ? Or possibly delete this post, but I don't know how to do that. I'm working on re-writing two other songs (written 1-2 years ago) so there is no energy left for 077. One of the songs, which is taking care of by a mixing engeneer and a singer, is my August submission Try To Get A Grip On Better Future. And the other one is 033 Dr Andrew, where other participants actually told me they would like to hear a new and better version. Well, that is probably going to happen, but the first thing to happen is the new version of 072 Try to Get a Grip of Better Future.

Last edited by A Future in Noise on Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:57 CET, edited 2 times in total.
JeroenZuiderwijk
Wild Card x2
Wild Card x2

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC077 January 2024 - Submissions until 24-JAN-2024 23:59 UTC+1/CET

Post by JeroenZuiderwijk »

EsteveCorbera wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2024 23:26 CET
Hi,

My new version (2): https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UuHKEr ... sp=sharing
Cool, this sounds big....could be a movie theme.
VCA-089

Post by VCA-089 »

I have added technical details on my submission post...
JeroenZuiderwijk
Wild Card x2
Wild Card x2

Final version SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC077 January 2024 - Submissions until 24-JAN-2024 23:59 UTC+1/CET

Post by JeroenZuiderwijk »

I have changed my post #14 into 'final version'. I have updated the link to a more polished version of the track.

Cheers,

Jeroen
EsteveCorbera

Post by EsteveCorbera »

Dear fellow challengers and Mister Fox.

We're here again, looking forward to hearing what you've been up to this month.
This time I really wanted to experiment. From the sounds provided by everyone I have made a rhythmic theme where I experiment in several layers and several variations.
There are sounds that are directly extracted from the WAVs and others that are processed and ultra-processed.
I'm really pleased with how the kick turned out. If you listen to the first WIPs and the latest version you can appreciate the difference.
The structure of the track is not very conventional, as is almost always the case with me. You will discover by listening.
I've also tried tools like Plugin Boutique Scaler2 to make the chords and Evabeat Melody Sauce2 to create some very rhythmic and random melodies. All this is also part of the experiment.

I hope you like it or at least can appreciate the work I have done.

Thank you colleagues.

(translated with google)

Equipment:
DAW:

Reason 12.7.1d91

Instruments:
Mimic Creative Sampler
NN-19 Sampler
Grain Sample Manipulator

Effects:
RV7000 MkII Advanced Reverb
The Echo
Equalizer
Alligator Triple Filter Gate
Master Bus Compressor
ECF-42 Envelope Controlled Filter
UN-16 Unison
Neptune Pitch Adjuster & Voice Synth
Polar Dual Pitch Shifter

Players:
Quad Note Generator
Beat Map Algorhythmic Drummer

Utilities:
Spider Audio Merger & Splitter
Pulsar Dual LFO

Reason Rack Extension:
Kilohearts AB kHs Pitch Shifter (Effect)
sonicbits.io Pump (Effect)
Reason Lectric Panda Evolution (Player)

Other effects outside of Reason:
Bedroom Producers Blog BPB Saturator
Arturia Efx MOTIONS
HoRNet Plugins HoRNet DrumShaper
Beatskillz Slam2
WAProduction Outlaw
Plugin-alliance Unfiltered Audio Bass-Mint
Kilohearts AB kHs Delay
Eventide Blackhole
Rob Papen RP-Pan
Kilohearts AB kHs Pitch Shifter

Samples:
SWC077_Community_Scramble_2024_source_sound_pack:

00 Generated WAV tones/burst_1000Hz_-6dBFS_x1.wav
00 Generated WAV tones/sin_55Hz_-6dBFS_0.3s.wav
00 Internet Random and Viral/Paper Cutting Machine.wav
00 Internet Random and Viral/Removing dried paint (IMGUR ID 5RKkpdI).wav
00 Internet Random and Viral/White Bellbird (IMGUR ID zQdOJCZ).wav
01 Filler Material (Mister Fox)/Crash.wav
01 Filler Material (Mister Fox)/Processed_Hat_and_Snare_Bounce.wav
01 Filler Material (Mister Fox)/Processed_Hat_and_Snare_Bounce.wav
01 Filler Material (Mister Fox)/Stomp (Smack in Kitchen Sink on a sponge).wav
01 Filler Material (Mister Fox)/Swoosh Higher.wav
1ktone/alfred.wav
EsteveCorbera/02 Percussion with a stick.wav
EsteveCorbera/04 Pad Cm.wav
EsteveCorbera/05 Piano Scale Cm.wav
KukoBass/ImbusKeys.wav
Lady Incognita/LI - Pad 1 - Atmospheric C.wav
Lady Incognita/LI - Pad 3 - Atmospheric C.wav
Lady Incognita/LI - Pad 3 - Atmospheric C.wav
The Exponent/EXP_Bass_Loop_Reese.wav
The Exponent/EXP_FX_Swoosh.wav
The Exponent/EXP_Loop_Mangled.wav
The Exponent/EXP_Pad_Loop_F Minor.wav

Other tools:
Plugin Boutique Scaler2
Evabeat Melody Sauce2
IrcamLab The Snail
HoRNet Plugins HoRNet SongKey MK4
iZotope Ozone 9
Plugin-alliance ADPTR AUDIO Metric AB
Plugin Alliance SPL HawkEye
HoRNet Plugins HoRNet VHS
scottfitz
Backer
Backer

Post by scottfitz »

hi all,
My first time on here! my entry is called "Nyamuragira" which is the name of a volcano in Democratic Republic of the Congo.

I was happy with the drum beat which starts about half way through. It is made from:

Kick = one of the hits from the "street drums" pitch shifted down 1 octave, then 3 instances of Transient Shaper, increasing punch and reducing sustain, then EQ with +9dB @80Hz -20dB @330Hz, -6dB @1.3kHz and -10dB shelf @2.5kHz and
Snare = Smash Printer Dist Tube-Culture to give distortion, again 3 instances of Transient Shaper
'Ghost notes of snare' = Plasma Cutter, chopped up, Dist Tube-Culture and 1 instance of Transient Shaper
'Hat' = clothpulled w/ HPF @700Hz

The Drum bus then hits a compressor and Process Audio Spicerack with a lot of drive 43% wet. We then add the FX which are Valhalla Supermassive "going wide" preset and another channel of Altiverb "Teldex". The main sound is combined with those FX and sent to a distressor doing about 3dB GR, then finally into the 1176 with all buttons in, slow attack, medium-slow release

For the rest of the sounds we have
- the Wurlitzer tones used, pitch shifted many different times
- Cardboard
- 440Hz beep, 1000Hz beep (with delay)
- Imbus Keys
- GiftWrapPaper
- Shoehorn (cut up)
- ClothPulled (cut up)
- LI - Drone 3 G (shifted down 7 semitones)
- LI - Drone 2 F (also shifted down 7 semitones)
- LI - Pad 3 - Atmospheric (into saturation then Crystallizer "industrial drums" preset)
- pink noise

Here's the link to the track:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1RV6hgd ... sp=sharing

best listened to with eyes closed!

Cheers all
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC077 January 2024 - Submissions until 24-JAN-2024 23:59 UTC+1/CET

Post by Mister Fox »

A friendly reminder:
We're in the final 24 hours to submit your production.

Please get your production ready and submitted (through the forum) today.

To make it easier for me to create the collection post, please update your initial post with the appropriate links (final version), or explicitly mark your entry as "final entry". Thank you.

If I didn't miscount, we have 9 entries so far. :headphones:
1ktone

Post by 1ktone »

Hi everyone,

Here is my entry for this round of the songwriting comp. I still consider it a work in progress.

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/epvoj8h4 ... mlrg8&dl=0

I thought I’d do something different this time around and try and do something with vocals and a lyric component. The lyrics aren’t exactly Shakespeare, but I feel they get the message across. I haven’t tried to write a song with my own voice and lyrics for a very long time so this was a fun exercise.

Without realising it I think I channeled my inner Devo. In this day and age it’s almost like doing an electronic version of folk music or something.

I will sit down for a brief reflection and put the show notes in this post tomorrow as I’m running out of day here right now and need to rest.

Next day:

So, in the end I ended up using a modest selection of samples. I thought I had used more.
The samples used are:

VCA-089_05_Guitar_Noodling_1.wav (for a couple of sounds including the guitar riff in the verse and the bass sound in the chorusy bit)
LI - Drums 1.wav for the snares and percussive bits
LI - Drone 2 - F.wav was used after an experiment using Flux to granulate it a little and then record that and import it into the Logic Quick Sampler to use as pad sound.
watertank.wav (the first time I have found a place in my work for that sample - the kick)
bringonthefrogs.wav
atmos1.wav
03 Metallic Bell.wav which became the stereo bouncing sound that pops up halfway through

This month I’m back on the iPad. I wrote the track in Logic Pro for iPad using instances of quick sampler for the sounds. The synth sound was created in an instance of Koala sampler in AUM. It is a single cycle waveform taken from the guitar noodle wav. I used AUM as an environment to do some initial experimenting because it is a free flowing space which is easy to play with ideas. I used instances of Flux, Spacecraft and Koala Sampler to get some sonic ideas and then exported these sounds to use in Logic.

There was a bit of cross sampling that went on and I lost track a little of what went where, but this is essentially the gist of what I did and the samples that were used.
Last edited by 1ktone on Thu Jan 25, 2024 03:04 CET, edited 2 times in total.