2024-APR-11 Info: Check out our current running games Mix Challenge 097 and Songwriting Competition 080.

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC079 March 2024 - Winners announced

Thematic Songwriting Competition - recurrence: monthly
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC079 March 2024 - Submissions until 24-MAR-2024 23:59 UTC+1/CET

Post by Mister Fox »

A friendly reminder:
We're in the final 24 hours to submit your production.

Please get your production ready and submitted (through the forum) today.

To make it easier for me to create the collection post, please update your initial post with the appropriate links (final version), or explicitly mark your entry as "final entry". Thank you.

If I didn't miscount, we have 8 amazing entries so far. :headphones:
We need at least 9 for a full podium, and 15 for a possible expansion. Final 24 rush? :thinking:
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC079 March 2024 - Submissions until 24-MAR-2024 23:59 UTC+1/CET

Post by Mister Fox »

First and foremost, welcome to the community, @Chasey24 . :tada:

Chasey24 wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2024 20:08 CET
Had a lot of fun with this, and I look forward to your feedback!
I can provide some feedback while still in the "WIP / submission" phase. Who knows, maybe you can still address this before the end of the game (as in: update your initial post).

I like the general concept. However, mix wise, you could still adjust some things. For example, the percussion section is a bit quiet compared to the synthesizers. A simple volume adjustment alone would already shift the overall feeling of the production. As it currently stands, the beat section (especially the snare) drowns in the lead melodies and higher frequency pads.

Speaking of... this is the second thing you should take another closer look at... granted, your production is very 1980s, but the build up of frequencies in the HF spectrum is a bit much. However, this is personal taste.

And finally:
Chasey24 wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2024 20:08 CET
Just to be clear, the artist name I go by is "Jerry Payne", but my forum name is "Chasey24".
Please go by the provided filename template regardless see post #001). :educate:

You are currently using:

Code: Select all

SWC079_Jerry_Payne_Getting_Chippy.wav
The template should be: SWC079__ArtistName__TrackName.wav

Let's make a compromise, and please use something along the lines of:

Code: Select all

SWC079__Jerry_Payne__Getting_Chippy__Chasey24-Edit.wav
or
SWC079__Casey24_aka_Jerry_Payne__Getting_Chippy.wav
This way I can easily find your entry while creating the global Song Collection post and the Statistic Sheets. If you are not be able to revisit your mix, editing the filename on Dropbox is an easy task. Thank you!
Chasey24

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC079 March 2024 - Submissions until 24-MAR-2024 23:59 UTC+1/CET

Post by Chasey24 »

Thank you, Mister Fox!
StoryGirlOz

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC079 March 2024 - Submissions until 24-MAR-2024 23:59 UTC+1/CET

Post by StoryGirlOz »

Some of you wouldn't know how to deliver advice constructively if you had a goddamn box of Lego in front of you. I'm out.

Peace
Last edited by StoryGirlOz on Mon Apr 01, 2024 20:55 CEST, edited 2 times in total.
FixInTheMix

Post by FixInTheMix »

I'm so late, as usual, because I've been struggling to finish this track for the last few days. I wanted to find the perfect reference to guide the overall sound and vibe of the Synthwave genre, which can be pretty diverse. After some time, I decided to borrow some ideas from Robert Parker's "Running Wild" to help me with the structure and instrumentation.

Here's what I used:
► Show Spoiler
I'm really happy with the end result but I think I could make it a bit longer, and add more repetition, idk, I´m open to any suggestions.

WAV File: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1NTR6qm ... drive_link
VCA-089

Post by VCA-089 »

phpBB [media]

WAV: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dumCx7 ... sp=sharing
FLAC: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1VE2CaU ... sp=sharing
MP3: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1aHzLTo ... sp=sharing

I finally got my hands on "Dexed", the VST I wanted to try out for a long time.

The famous Yamaha DX7 synthesizer released in 1985 was quite a revolutionary instrument at the time. The whole new sound generation approach, MIDI implementation, presets and other goodness. It was also very affordable (compared to similar products of other companies). The sound of the 80's is usually associated with analog synths, but instruments like DX7 had a much greater impact on it. Digital technology has dominated the industry and put old analog gear out of fashion (and many manufacturer companies out of business), the inevitable progress of the time.

Instruments and techniques:

The drums are a combination of LinnDrum, Yamaha RX-17 and TR-707 drum machine samples.
All synth sounds are "Dexed", an emulation of Yamaha DX7 synthesizer (18 instances in total). Most of the sounds are from classic sound cartridges.
TAL Chorus-LX used on almost every synth sound (sometimes I used FL Studio Hyperchorus instead) the most complimentary effect for this synth.

Technical details:
► Show Spoiler
StoryGirlOz

Post by StoryGirlOz »

I love the space you've created in your mix. Great job. The filter opening up at the beginning of the piece was great, and the stabby saw hits have a great funky groove to them. The solo is fire! Great production all around.
FixInTheMix wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2024 05:58 CET
I'm so late, as usual, because I've been struggling to finish this track for the last few days. I wanted to find the perfect reference to guide the overall sound and vibe of the Synthwave genre, which can be pretty diverse. After some time, I decided to borrow some ideas from Robert Parker's "Running Wild" to help me with the structure and instrumentation.

Here's what I used:
► Show Spoiler
I'm really happy with the end result but I think I could make it a bit longer, and add more repetition, idk, I´m open to any suggestions.

WAV File: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1NTR6qm ... drive_link
StoryGirlOz

Post by StoryGirlOz »

I'm really liking this. The harmonic motion in the B section is fire! And then you smash into a key-change? Great stuff!

When I heard the toms at the top of the track I was wondering if you had hired (or channelled) Phil Collins. :)

The mix is great. All sticks together nicely and every note has a place to shine. Great job.
VCA-089 wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2024 14:27 CET
phpBB [media]

WAV: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dumCx7 ... sp=sharing
FLAC: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1VE2CaU ... sp=sharing
MP3: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1aHzLTo ... sp=sharing

I finally got my hands on "Dexed", the VST I wanted to try out for a long time.

The famous Yamaha DX7 synthesizer released in 1985 was quite a revolutionary instrument at the time. The whole new sound generation approach, MIDI implementation, presets and other goodness. It was also very affordable (compared to similar products of other companies). The sound of the 80's is usually associated with analog synths, but instruments like DX7 had a much greater impact on it. Digital technology has dominated the industry and put old analog gear out of fashion (and many manufacturer companies out of business), the inevitable progress of the time.

Instruments and techniques:

The drums are a combination of LinnDrum, Yamaha RX-17 and TR-707 drum machine samples.
All synth sounds are "Dexed", an emulation of Yamaha DX7 synthesizer (18 instances in total). Most of the sounds are from classic sound cartridges.
TAL Chorus-LX used on almost every synth sound (sometimes I used FL Studio Hyperchorus instead) the most complimentary effect for this synth.

Technical details:
► Show Spoiler
StoryGirlOz

Post by StoryGirlOz »

I love the sound design work you've done on this. The bass has a nice evolving filter over it, and the granulated wood hit sound is very much reminiscent of the kinds of patches I loved back in the 90s, but could never work into playing with a more country-rock oriented band at the time. ;)

There's lots of space in the mix for everything, and the balance is great. If I have any constructive notes, the only thing I'd suggest is doing some work on the ADSR envelope of the super-saw you used as a lead. In faster sections it got a bit "squawky" for want of a better term. If there's portamento on it, you could turn it off for faster passages, and maybe shorten the attack.

Great effort overall.
TrojakEW wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 20:07 CET
This round was fun, but also struggle for me. Even I do a lot of electronic/synth music I have never try to go for particular style. So let me show you the result of this challenge. I have listened to a lot of synthwave music in order to get some pointers. I always create hybrid and this track is not exception. As some soundtrack from 80's incorporate different non synthetic instruments I decide to do so too. Just some high strings and Damage 2 drums to bring some more flavor to it. I was lucky to have Retrowave library that was become foundation, including LinnDrum drum machine. The rest is experimentation, sound design with some other libraries and synth sounds. I have also tried to use Lunaris 2 that I get in previous round.

Made using FL Studio 20.6
Kontakt Instruments used:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
4x SplashSound Retrowave
1x Impact Soundworks Sonic Forest
1x 8Dio Hybrid Tools 1
1x 8Dio Hybrid Tools 4
1x 8Dio Hybrid Tools Neo 2
1x Heavyocity Damage 2
2x Orchestral Tools Metropolis Ark 4
1x Output Substance
2x Output Signal
2x Rigid Audio Atheos
1x Rigid Audio Perception
2x Luftrum Lunaris 2

Used Effects:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1x Izotope Ozone 10
1x Noveltech Character
1x Pro Audio DSP DSM V3
3x Fruity Filter
1x Fruity Peak Controller
10x zOne.sk Arx One
2x Izotope Neutron 4 Equalizer,

Statistics (Izotope RX 10):
Max momentary loudness -9.0 LUFS
Max short-tem loudness -12.2 LUFS
Integrated loudness -14.1 LUFS
Loudness range 4.6 LU
True peak L -1.11dB
True peak R -1.11dB
StoryGirlOz

Post by StoryGirlOz »

This is a great NIN-style two-step! The slow arp works really well with the backbeat. The hiss in the B section is a really interesting replacement for something like a ride cymbal. Some really interesting sound design choices, and the drums are great. The mix is great. Lots of space for everything.

The only real notes other than that I can offer are that one of the notes you were hitting with the arp felt like either avoid notes from the chord scale or external to the key-centre in a way that wasn't supported by the rest of the harmonic line (I think it was the former). By no means terrible - just a little jarring to my ear, which has its own biases. Overall, sounds great!
Arelem wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2024 10:08 CET
Hello Everyone,

I've been absent for a bit; I had a lot going on. For this month's theme/genre, I struggled a little bit because I'm not a fan of synth-wave in particular. However, I was able to make something that I really think came out great! It is a cross between mid-tempo and synth-wave. It does lean heavily into mid-tempo but there are obvious synth-wave elements and influences. It's good to be back and I hope ya'll like it.
(EDIT) Made a few minor changes, mostly in the mixing. Also added a counter-melody to the drop at the end of the track.
(EDIT 2) Changed out the kick for something more genre appropriate. Had to adjust some levels to get it to punch through properly but nothing major.

Details:
► Show Spoiler