2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

Mix Challenge now on Patreon

News and Announcements resolving around the Mix Challenge community
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Mix Challenge now on Patreon

Post by Mister Fox »

There is an update to the situation...

I've yet to receive any feedback from Patreon themselves. But there is resistance in the creators community, clearly criticizing the new route that ultimately punish small creators trying to grow, and those that are reliant on <10USD pledges.

From another page I frequently visit, I found this link to a blog that talks about the changes. Not to mention what affect this will have for people that donate to various creators with small amounts.
https://www.pretty-terrible.com/funny-m ... eon-style/

There is also a Change.org petition regarding that topic:
https://www.change.org/p/patreon-patreo ... ice-charge

I can't sum it up any better at the moment. But at least you're warned in advance.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

I've been thinking about the following for quite a while now - in fact, this was a question in the big survey before the move:
What about merchandise?

By that I mean shirts, mugs, mousepads, etc.

I have to find possible deals where the revenue is good enough to cover the fees resolving around the community page. But would that even be of interest as possible second/third pillar?
Jorgeelalto
Song Provider
Song Provider

Post by Jorgeelalto »

Personally I'm not very interested in merch, although depending on the price it could be good to buy stuff for home or some t-shirts. I don't think it would work as good promo as it would be now, but a logo change and good designed shirts could be pretty interesting... Even if that's lots of work.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

What Logo change would you like to see? (just curious)
Jorgeelalto
Song Provider
Song Provider

Post by Jorgeelalto »

Well, something more unique and interesting, something you would want to put on a T-shirt and walk around with it. I like making logos and graphic design in general so I could sketch something when I arrive home tonight.

The other thing I suggested was making sound and audio related designs to print also in T-shirts, in the purest merchandise style, something like:

but of course less sassy and with designs (and jokes) oriented to the things we do here (mixing, mastering and songwriting?).

I'd be interested in taking part of this as a "designer" (not the best and not professional but I have done good stuff, I promise) next summer, I don't think the merch has a high priority but the logo redesign would be a pretty good thing.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

I'm all for shirts and the likes, but I'm not necessary for sassy jokes on them. I'll definitely get back on the Logo Design offer. Although I think the current one is perfect for the time being.

:arrow: I'm now posting, because there has been an update to the "Patreon Situation".

I just got a mail from Patreon, issuing an apology and saying - and I quote
We’re not going to rollout the changes to our payments system that we announced last week, and are currently assessing other options.
Source to the full statement:
https://blog.patreon.com/not-rolling-out-fees-change/

While I do welcome the reversion of their decision, I think that we're far from being out of the water. And one sentence that really worries me from the statement, is this: "The new payments system disproportionately impacted $1 – $2 patrons. We have to build a better system for them."

I'm still sorry for any convenience this causes. But I will definitely look for alternatives and fair "rewards" for one-time donations.

I'll keep you updated on the situation.
Jorgeelalto
Song Provider
Song Provider

Post by Jorgeelalto »

Mister Fox wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 20:02 CET
I'm all for shirts and the likes, but I'm not necessary for sassy jokes on them. I'll definitely get back on the Logo Design offer. Although I think the current one is perfect for the time being.
Yeah, I'll probably do some sketches for logos just for fun, I love making them! So even if a logo change is not in your plans I'm not getting out of here without executing my idea :3

By the way, I'm happy the Patreon lads didn't do the change to the payments, the response was really big and they have responded :D

Jorge
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

You know where to find me regarding your ideas. :tu:
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

A short update:
  • the Patreon "Rewards" have been overhauled due to shifts in exchange rates (read: USD values went up)
  • the tiers are now:
    • 1USD - entry level (will be changed to 1,50USD in May)
    • 12,50USD/10EUR - access to Patron Vault hast been moved up a tier, a new tier specific future forum feature will be added soon (previously 12USD)
    • 45USD - offering a Skype chat, currently limited to 1 person per month (raised from previously 40USD)
    • Special Tier 125USD - Executive Producer "Banner Ad" (raised from previously 120USD)

I am also happy to announce that all backers get access to the "Patron Vault" now (in the Members Area).

This special access is not limited to the 10+EUR/12+EUR tier anymore. Now everyone that is a 1+EUR/1,50+USD backer (either via Patreon or Paypal) will have access to this forum section, which gives you the chance to look at and comment on upcoming topics/changes sooner than everyone else. The 10+EUR/12,50EUR tier will see a special bonus feature eventually (still working on fine details).

You will notice that your special forum rank has also changed from "Patreon Backer" to just "Backer" - if you might have a better title for this, please let me know.

Each patron is listed on the Donation / Hall of Fame page and will get a special rank on the forum.

The donations primarily go into the expenses of keeping the page/community running. If you're rather interested to donate via PayPal directly than go through Patreon, let me know and I forward you the desired information.

Thank you so much for your generosity. :tu: