2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

Mix Challenge - Community Update Q1/2022

News and Announcements resolving around the Mix Challenge community
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Mix Challenge - Community Update Q1/2022

Post by Mister Fox »

Hello everyone,

some of you already reached out via various communication channels (mail, PM, forum, Discord), asking if and when there will be a Mix(ing) Challenge this March. I hoped to have a blog post prepared prior to the first of the month, but that sadly didn't happen. Neither was a newsletter sent out yet - apologies for that as well. I'd like to at least scratch the surface with certain things in the following paragraphs.

A lot of you are aware that I am (currently) doing this whole endeavor alone, invest endless hours to keep things tidy, not to mention up and running. With a foot always on the gas pedal since 2014 (and especially 2017), unpaid, sometimes at the most craziest hours of the day, to offer amazing monthly recurring events. I think I've finally reached a certain limit, where I quite literally need to hit the brakes. There is only so much wear possible with an engine running at this rate.

So the only current solution I see is - take a step back, try to take a breather, use what we have access to, and change the rhythm for a while.

:arrow: The Mix(ing) Challenge will temporarily change it's recurrence

As you all are probably aware at this point, there will be no Mix(ing) Challenge in March. I have decided to change the monthly rhythm to "every other month" pro tempore for 2022. That means, games will be held every even-numbered month in February, April, June, August, October and December. If we have access to material to mix, that is.

Which is also the very reason why I am changing our well established schedule - we really don't have any more material. I do have something for April that I'm pretty sure many of you will enjoy. I also already have the August slot filled (scheduling reasons), I am just waiting for the files. Both will be very kindly provided by recurring Song Providers. Other than that, the Song Pool has dried up.

And that is honestly where I am at a loss at this point. I have been, and still am, reaching out with every game thread, every newsletter has a request to please provide material and/or spread the word. Social Media (Twitter and Facebook) has automated posts every two to three days, plenty of them are even shared. I've been reaching out on Discord servers, posting on well known music forums, I've directly messaged people, etc. I did get the occasional offer during the last 12-15 months, and I sometimes wrote back within mere hours even. Yet in a lot of cases, the communication didn't continue anymore (in certain instances, I've sent out 5-7 reminders over the course of several months), or never started to begin with. So much time invested, yet we're now out of material.

So what can you do?
The one thing I've been asking all of you several times already: please reach out.

Either become a Song Provider yourself, or maybe get befriended musicians involved. It is a win-win situation for everyone. For Song Providers, this is technically a "mass engineer shootout". For Mix Participants, it's getting access to outstanding material to experiment and refine ones' skill-set. Your only investment is time, and keeping engaged with the community. The majority of previous song providers can vouch for the high standards regarding handling. Plus there have been many amazing changes to simplify various game processes.

I can't do more than ask and try to keep up the communication...

Current available slots:
June, August (if I don't get access to the multi-tracks), October, December... and then new material for 2023, of course.

:arrow: More Focus on the Songwriting Competition

As you hopefully also noticed, one focus for the community, was to massively uplift the Songwriting Competition. After subtly gathering feedback from various places, I've overhauled the rules to make the game more engaging0 and really only like a competition in name. I've streamlined the threads and game premise (production brief), introduced promotion images (move visual appeal), I'm heavily promoting on KVR Audio, GearSpace, not to mention a lot(!) of music and art related Discord servers. So far, with reserved success.

I've been thinking about this topic for quite a while now, even ran a poll in March and April 2021 to collect some more thoughts about this. Considering that we basically already run three "special challenges" throughout the year, namely the "Community Scramble" in January, the "Mental Health Awareness Month" in September (which is very important to me), and we also somewhat have definite time slots for Rock/Metal music songwriting, not to mention the recurring topic of "creating a soundtrack", well...

While the Mix(ing) Challenge will be held every even-numbered month for the rest of 2022, I've decided to put emphasis on the "empty spots" or rather every odd-numbered month (January, March, May, July, September, November) with special themed Songwriting Competitions. My plan is to keep these particular slots "themed", so that participants can spread the word for future games.

I will post about this in a separate thread eventually. For the time being, please fear not, there will still be plenty of twists and turns regarding genres and so called "production briefs". Let me assure you, I have a very long list of ideas on my desk for this. Writing a song in the "Key of D" (special task challenge, focus on harmony theory) is just a small taster.

I really hope you will be as enthusiastic as I am, and also help the Songwriting Competition grow as much as the Mix(ing) Challenge did. :notes:

:arrow: Forum Updates and "Quality of Life Mods" unfortunately delayed

Which brings me to the last paragraphs of this post. By 2022, I actually wanted to have an updated forum UI, implement the several times announced (unobtrusive) banner advertising system, upgrade the newsletter engine from a TXT-based to a more visual version, do some landing site maintenance, etc. I was even working on a solution regarding the recurring topic of broken links with Mix(ing) Challenge entries. I at least managed to introduce Discord as additional means of interaction (Discord will not replace the forum!). This also took me a couple of months to finally get sorted out, and it's also a bit barren.

I am still chipping away at things. However due to a plethora of things (private matters/obligations), and this whole endeavor being run by a "one man army" so to speak, I just don't have the time, and in a lot cases even the energy anymore. I am but human after all. So I won't make any promises or early announcements at this point. If I can manage to finish / implement something new, I'll just let you know. :pensive:

Apologies for the lengthy post, but I hope this explains the radio silence a bit. I really can't thank all of you enough, those that keep reaching out, those that spread the word, those that send words of encouragement through whatever channel. Thank you ever so much.

Please stay safe out there, and have a great start into the month.

Thanks for reading :educate:
alelachowski

Re: Mix Challenge - Community Update Q1/2022

Post by alelachowski »

Hello Mister Fox,
long time since I supplied a project to the mix challenge, and I confess I am not getting time to follow this amazing community everytime due the works that tike much time of my days.
I get sad when I visited the site today and I could see that in this March was not happening any contest.
Since I have been a provider for a contest here, I would like to help again and avoid this project miss its great energy, friendship, and mutual growth of each others.
So, I have released in Fabruary 2 artists. Both are brazilian artists with different genre of music to work.
If you be interested, I would like to provide a song that is a "kind of country music" here in Brazil. All the stems were recorded in studio, and it is a genre I believe will be a nice experience to people around the world work on it.

You can search in the digital platforms for the artist "Cris Bonato", and there is 3 songs, but the song I think would be cool to see how guys around the planet mix that is called "Fim de Relacionamento" .
Do I search, listen, and tell me what you think about... the most hard work were done already like edition, vocal tune, but I have almost all raw audios.
Let me know if what you think about that. And, for next month, and next again, I could be more present here sharing productions I did and that were already released.

My best regards,

Alexandre Lack
www.alexandrelack.com
D.Pinck

Post by D.Pinck »

I will do what I can to reach out.
Thank you for your persistence.
D.Pinck
zanox

Post by zanox »

Hi Mr Fox, I have an idea to get songs to be mixed. Have you ever heard about kompoz.com or procollabs.com? They are communities of musicians that often have songs that need to be mixed, maybe you can collaborate or look for people that would like to give their stems fornthr challenge. Take a look to the sites

Cheers

Giuliano
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

I am aware of those sites. In fact, some users from Kompoz are members on our community and the other way around.

I can't do more than I already do. As in: reach out, ask for help and interaction. Without an active Song Provider, that not only "provides" material, but also interacts and keeps up the conversation, things fall apart.

Since this question came up several times, it is even in the FAQ of the Song Pool campaign.
See the wording form that page in the following "spoiler message":

► Show Spoiler
zanox

Post by zanox »

I think the audio on this archive should be public domain https://archive.org/details/etree
They are not commercial project anyway. I also have some live recordings, if it can help
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

Again, if it's only about "getting content" for the sake of getting content, please read my last post, @zanox-

If it is material you legally own the rights to, and you want to become an active song provider, please consult the Rule Book on the Song Provider guidelines, and then please reach out via mail.