2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

Superbooth 2023 - 11th to 13th May 2023

News and Announcements resolving around the Mix Challenge community
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

Ladies and Gentlemen,

"Superbooth" is in high gear for the year 2023.

The "Superbooth" is a Synthesizer Trade Show/Exhibition which is open for everyone that is only slightly interested in synthesizers and modular studio equipment. You have the chance to get hands-on with presented equipment, you can talk shop, you can join workshops, you can do DIY stuff and you are able to enjoy various concerts on the event grounds. It emerged in 2016 and has constantly evolved in it's consecutive years.

So much so, that they started to "branch out" in 2021 and are now occupying additional areas at the Wuhlheide in Berlin, not just the "FEZ (Freizeit und Erholungszentrum) alone anymore. Those areas actually cover the "Zirkuszelt/Circus Tent" (inner yard of the FEZ), the "Bungalowdorf", and the "Strandbad Wuhlheide" (while moving the "Seebühne/seaside stage" to the "Strandbühne/"beach stage").

Unlike last year, there might be no "SOOPERgrail" guitar show section.

Short video presentation:

phpBB [media]

The "Superbooth" is held every Spring, and is currently a recurring visitor at the FEZ (Freizeit und Erholungszentrum), Berlin (Germany). Europe's biggest, non-profit children-, youth- and family center, located in the south east of Berlin in the district named Oberschöneweide (or more precisely, at the Wuhlheide).

In 2023, they will continue their concept to occupy additional outdoor areas - which are designated and there will be ticket checks at the main entrances. This also means, that there is more space for exhibitors, and there is less volume build-up in corridors and booths. The adjacent outdoor area to the FEZ itself is also now more relaxed. Which is great for taking a break, grabbing a bite, or even have a meetup.

There is a lot of ground to cover, get some comfortable shoes, and consider an extra day for visiting.

:information_source: Date: Thursday, 11th May 2023 until Saturday, 13th May 2023

More information, including an exhibitor list:
https://www.superbooth.com

Tickets available - please see here

There is no visitor cap this year either. The SuperBooth ticket entitles you to access all areas of the SuperBooth (10am to 10pm / or 10:00 to 22:00, yes, that is a 12 hour time window!), with all exhibitors and concerts. Although exceptions do apply for workshops. The "Boat Shuttle" is not a thing anymore.

:arrow_right: IMPORTANT INFORMATIONS IF YOU WANT TO ATTEND SUPERBOOTH 2023 (Status 01-APR-2023):
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Regulations regarding COVID-19:

Germany is lifting their nationwide "SARS-CoV-2-Basisschutzmaßnahmenverordnung" by 07th April 2023. In laymen's terms that means that wearing FFP2 masks are no longer obligated, neither will there be any contact tracing until further notice. As long as COVID-19 is still globally declared as "pandemic", It is recommended however, to still continue wearing (medical) face masks in crowded areas (events, shopping, public transportation) and keep up with general hygiene rules. Especially if you are an international visitor.

If you are unfamiliar with current regulations, or want to be up-to-date, please visit the following links:
Measures against the corona virus (Berlin) - Quarantine, testing and reporting obligations for those entering the state of Berlin

Please also check in with the official Superbooth FAQ for changes in regulations and house rules.

Accessing the area:

I highly recommend to travel via public transportation, as parking spots at the event are quite limited. Germany has also dropped their "mask mandates in public transportation" (throughout Q1/2023). However, as mentioned above, it is still recommended to continue wearing (medical) face masks.

An update on the regulations for the VBB - Verkehrsverbund Berlin Brandenburg (consisting of the BVG in Berlin, covering the subway, busses and trams, and the S-Bahn Berlin, covering the whole city train network) can be found through the following link:
S-Bahn Berlin - Information about the coronavirus (Covid-19) (English)

You can access the area from two sides:
Front Side - by tram (tram station: FEZ - Freizeit und Erholungszentrum)
Back Side - by S-Bahn (S3, train station: Wuhlheide)

Payments:

With the start of the year (2023), the German known Girocard/Maestro (MasterCard) hybrid payment function has ceased. Most bank institutes adapted a Girocard/VPay hybrid system. This was a long overdue step to make shopping in the EU easier.

However, a fair warning to international visitors -- street food vendors or small restaurants in Berlin mostly work "cash based". Please do not assume that these stores have card payment options, or options like VPay or Apple Pay. Always have an alternative on hand.

Although on the flip side, small restaurants started to adapt "electronic cash" more and more (contactless payment - as part of pandemic regulations). Restaurants and grocery stores that offer these payment option, usually also showcase the VPay logo either at the entrance, or at the cashier. If in doubt, ask beforehand at the venue.

:arrow_right: Will I be attending "Superbooth 2023" as visitor?

The short answer is a "yes".

However, I am also being honest with you. I'm not a fan of big events or crowds anymore, not only due to the pandemic situation. Such events are loud, and can be quite energy draining. I will probably walk around the area, check out new synths, talk to companies, meet up with fellows and try to generally have a good time. Including having frequent breaks. But if I am "not feeling it", I will back away. Thank you for understanding.

:arrow_right: Possible meetup?

In 2022, fellow Mix Challenge member @Jorgeelalto and I met up, then walked around the event for most of the day. There was also a "Youtuber Meetup" nearby the "Zirkuszelt" on the same day, which will probably happen again (no details given yet).

If you want to hang out, then please either comment here in this thread, or reach out on Discord.

I will randomly check both the forum and our Discord Server while being at the event. But it's best to plan things beforehand. The sooner people make up their mind, the better the planning for everyone interested.

:arrow_right: How to find me at the event?

I might not be attending the event prior to early afternoon on Thursday. However, I do try to see as much as possible on Friday and Saturday. Look out for either a black hoodie with the Mix Challenge logo at the top left chest, or a T-shirt with the Mix Challenge logo on the left arm sleeve.

Updated: 11-MAY-2023 01:20 UTC+2/CEST
Jorgeelalto
Song Provider
Song Provider

Re: Superbooth 2023 - 11th to 13th May 2023

Post by Jorgeelalto »

Unfortunately I'm most probably not going this year, I'm saving up for a big thing and I can't afford going (believe it or not the hostel I stayed in last year has doubled its price!), all in all I'd spend around 600e and as much as I want to go, I cannot justify it...

Next year though, you'll probably have me around : )
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

I mean, I don't know about costs of flights, as I do not have an overview of that.

But I do know, that you went with a hotel in a highly frequented tourism area, and that ramps up prices of course. There are hotels (not back-package hostels!) in Berlin that are sub 80EUR per night. Unless you're at some hard to reach outskirts, getting from point A to point B is no problem (as you've experienced).

In the end, it's up to you. :slight_smile:

But if you folks happen to be in Berlin, and want to hang out for a bit at the event, this thread and on Discord is the route to go.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

A quick update to Superbooth 2023:

The Superbooth staff just proudly announced, to have over 250 exhibitors this year. This is quite the achievement, and I do hope to see a shift in focus to in the coming years to more studio tools and/or more (indie) software companies as well.

Superbooth proudly announcing exhibitor amount (Twitter)

There will also be a "Synth Youtuber (and Streamer) Meetup" on Saturday, 13-MAY-2023 at 13:00 UTC+2/CEST. Once more initiated by BoBeatsMusic, with an interesting array of participants that would like to join in as well, and have a quick chat. Why not drop by and have some small talk.

BoBeatsMusic Youtuber Meetup Invitation (Twitter)

Do you attend Superbooth as well?
Let's meet up. :slight_smile:
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

I just updated post #001 on the topic of "how to find me" at the event.

Since my last couple of days have been chaotic for me, I will probably not be around prior to early afternoon on Thursday. For Friday and Saturday, I do plan to be at the event for most of the day. If in doubt, please check in with Discord.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

Quick update:

I will attend the Synth Youtuber Meetup at the Zirkuszelt on the event grounds around 13:00. Find me there! :thumbsup: