2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

Taking a new route - expanding the Mix Challenge (final expansion announced)

News and Announcements resolving around the Mix Challenge community
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Taking a new route - expanding the Mix Challenge (final expansion announced)

Post by Mister Fox »

The Mix Challenge started in June 2014 on KVR Audio. It branched out to Social Media (Twitter) in March 2015, the homepage "root" exists since September 2016, and the dedicated forum space has been online since April 2017. The challenge has been growing constantly and continues to be successful. So why not take a logical next step and see where this will take us?

Patreon backers did already see the following chart on 5th June 2017.

A NEW CONCEPT?

The idea to expand the Mix Challenge does not come out of the blue. There have been several requests since 2014 to do Mastering, but also Remix challenges. The challenge "itself" is constantly struggling to get new audio material. We could evade the one or another drought in the last couple of years, but it is no secret that things tend to run on hot air ever so often. Due to this, several ideas were brought up behind the scenes to either just thin out the schedule, or to do another competition instead of the Mix Challenge if there really is a lack of mix-packs. This worst case scenario thankfully never happened, as we somehow always managed to keep the machine running.

However, while we were still on KVR Audio, there have been several attempts to expand the "game" in some shape or form. One of them was the try to involve the other community based challenges "Music Cafe Songwriting Competition" (MCSC in short) and the "One Synth Challenge" (OSC in short). In fact, previous Mix Challenges were a direct result from that rare collaboration (thank you so much!). Sadly, it remained to be just that - a limited joint effort. On top of very limited room for maneuver due to the forum structure at the other message board.

Having said that - now that we're on a dedicated forum space, things can be different. More organized even.

So why not pick up these shelf-stored ideas and introduce a new spin to this community? Kick off the game with a songwriting or remix competition, move on to a mixing challenge, then move on to mastering. It would be a logical evolution, and we could lead one challenge into the other. Therefore create a possible self-sustainable eco system to theoretically(!) never run out of material for the Mix Challenge.

It is worth a try, IMO.

QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS

Q1) "I like the idea of an expansion. When can we see this change start to happen?"
A1) The current plan for expansion is around mid to late Q3/2017. The first new challenge could already start August 2017, parallel to the Mix Challenge

Q2) "But wouldn't that mean additional rules? And therefore more extra work"?
A2) Yes indeed. However, even though a lot of already existing text blocks can definitely be reused, the rules/guidelines for these challenges are not yet set it stone. And in some cases, the rule set can even be drastically simplified for the Remix and Songwriting competitions. This is where the participants come in. Yes, this would indeed mean extra work for the staff team to keep the challenges running, doing maintenance, behind the scenes material acquisition, etc. But there is hope that the off-branch games are just as self-sustained as the Mix Challenge is in it's current state.

Q3) "Wait... doesn't that mean a new evaluation system?!"
A3) Well, yes and no. The only new type of grading the audio material in question, would be for the songwriting competition. Here I'd propose to go with the route of a "popular vote" system. In fact, the first three Mix Challenges went with that route until we realized, that a "client evaluation" system worked better in the long run. The remix, mixing and mastering challenges can and should IMO stick to the client based evaluation, as we simulate a "client requests editing work based upon own material" scenario here.

Q4) "What about the homepage"
A4) There is still plenty of room to shuffle things around on the homepage, create suitable sub-menus and the likes. In fact, the forum has been already laid out for an expansion. But please let us take one step at a time.

Q5) What will the schedule be?
A5) The current plan is to do the challenges on a irregular/on demand schedule. This can of course turn into regular scheduled games at a later state - depending on the success. However, should things really turn too hectic, we'll try to find voluntary assistance. Feedback on this is welcome of course.

Q6) Do you need new audio material?
A6) Yes of course! For the Mix, Remix and Masterng Challenge, you can go the usual route via the contact script. The Songwriting Competition can be topic/theme based.

HOW DO WE GO FROM THERE?!

This is where the community comes in. Please give your feedback on the new concept. If you have wishes, concern, etc. I'm also not against possible name suggestions for the new competitions, to create an own fingerprint for the Mix Challenge community.

Thanks for reading, and please discuss. :tu:
Jorgeelalto
Song Provider
Song Provider

Re: Taking a new route - expanding the Mix Challenge

Post by Jorgeelalto »

Remix Challenge! That sounds amazing :clap: :clap: The mastering challenge will also be interesting if the people post what they have done to the mix to get their masters. This is really great news indeed. Will participate in all these in August :grin: It will be interesting too how the new rules are shaped for those challenges, specially the remix one - it brings up so many possibilities... :hyper: Thank you MC Staff :3
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

The rules for Remix Challenges can be fairly simple on that behalf.

But I'm all ears for suggestions. The more people comment, and the sooner, the more likely the first new challenge will be an enjoyable experience for everyone.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

I am happy to announce, that the first expansion has just been added to the forum:

THE SONGWRITING COMPETITION

The Songwriting Competition will start on 01st September 2017 and will run for 24 days.

You will be able to find the Songwriting Competition in this sub-forum:
http://www.mix-challenge.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=11

Please get acquainted with the new rule set. If you want to give feedback about these particular "Rules & Guidelines", please do so here:
http://www.mix-challenge.com/forum/view ... p?f=6&t=94

:arrow: Additional to the expansion, the homepage got an update as well.

Please take note of the following changes:
  • Navigation bar menu point CHALLENGE (singular) renamed to CHALLENGES (plural)
  • drop-down menu now features the MIX CHALLENGE and the SONGWRITING COMPETITION, future challenges will be added to this sub-menu
  • RULE BOOK removed from navigation bar, individual links got added to their corresponding challenge sub-menu
  • the Countdown on the main page got updated to show multiple timers
  • for convenience purposes, there is now a Global Countdown available, showing not only the end of current running challenges, but also 2nd Rounds and Voting Period deadlines
  • as part of the Patreon updates, there is also a "Donation Hall-of-Fame" page now

Additional challenges are scheduled for Q4/2017.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

I am happy to announce the final game expansions of the Mix Challenge community

THE REMIX AND MASTERING CHALLENGEs

The competitions are planned to alternate with each other time-slot wise (or run on demand). Until it is foreseeable that there will enough material to run each game on a monthly basis. The Mix Challenge and Songwriting Competition will continue to run in parallel. Although there is currently the idea to maybe run the Mix Challenge all year long, from 1st to 21st of the month, without a scheduled vacation in January. This however only works, if there will be enough source material in the Song Pool.

A quick summary of the upcoming expansion:

Mastering Challenge
  • will start on 01st December 2017
  • will run for 14 days
  • depending on available material, will be held every even numbered month (February/02, April/04, June/06, etc)
  • client based voting system
  • second mix round possible

Remix Challenge
  • will start on 01st January 2018
  • will run for 24 days
  • depending on available material, will be held every odd numbered month (January/01, March/03, May/05, etc)
  • no second mix round
The homepage already got an update to accommodate the expansion. For the time being, the Global Countdown and the Countdown on the Landing Page. In the coming weeks, the Navbar will see more submenu points as well.

The Rules and Guidelines for these two games are currently being edited. Patreon Backers with pledges >=10USD will get access to the rules in the coming days via the Patreon Vault. The first "Rule Book" (Mastering Challenge) will be available for everyone from 15th November.

:arrow: How can you help to make this expansion a success
  • we're looking for new audio material for the challenges. Basically the same rules apply as with the Mix Challenge in terms of being a "client" (currently not possible for members for revenue TAX collection services, possible solutions are being worked on)
  • for the Mastering Challenge: already finished stereo mixdowns at a reasonable average signal level, with as less summing bus treatment as possible
  • for the Remix Challenge: loops, samples and recorded instruments/vocals. Basically a more "simplified" multitrack project
  • if you're interested to see your production being remixed or mastered, then please reach out via the Contact Form

Of course, spreading the word via Social Media (Twitter / Facebook) is also more than appreciated. Requests for new source material on these channels will start on 10th November.

Please keep an eye on this thread for more news
kevin gobin

Re: Taking a new route - expanding the Mix Challenge (final expansion announced)

Post by kevin gobin »

Very good news Mr Fox!

I was dreaming about a mastering challenge for a long time, you will see me there.

I am not sure about a second round necessity, but that could be a challenge to hear "get more reverb on the snare" from the client. :exhausted:

Good luck for your expansion,
Kevin.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Taking a new route - expanding the Mix Challenge (final expansion announced)

Post by Mister Fox »

Round 2 might be an option for "not quite there yet". I kept the concept open on purpose.

But nothing is set in stone yet.
Dodgingrain

Post by Dodgingrain »

Good to see more expansion. Looking forward to the mastering and remixing challenges. I find there are plenty of remix challenges already on the internet but very few to none for mastering so I'm really happy to see that. For the mastering challenge I'm curious to see how you handle the final media format or if we are always looking to master for mp3, wave, or sound cloud, and if it's going to be just the creative side of mastering or the technical side as well getting all of the documentation, meta data, etc. correct too.

I'd love to see weekly mix challenges.... I know, not enough material but one can dream. In college that was really effective for getting good at mixing fast.

I'll throw a note out to my mastering class at Berklee and maybe I can pull in a few extra participants.
Mixing, Mastering, Remixing Services
Two Cat Audio Labs, llc
https://www.twocataudiolabs.com
https://www.instagram.com/twocataudiolabs/
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

Take a look at the Mastering Challenge rule set and demo thread to get a glimpse at this. Rules can always be fine tuned of course. But I'm fairly sure that the first challenge will start strong.

Thanks for spreading the word. We can definitely use more content and participants in general.
"Weekly" challenges won't happen though - that would be a logistical nightmare.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

I am happy to unveil the final game expansion of the Mix Challenge community

THE REMIX CHALLENGEs

A quick summary of the expansion:

Remix Challenge
  • will start on 01st January 2018
  • will run for 24 days
  • depending on available material, will be held every odd numbered month (January/01, March/03, May/05, etc)
  • no second mix round
Please get acquainted with the official Rules & Guidelines in the corresponding sub-forum.

:arrow: How can you help to make this expansion a success
  • we're looking for new audio material for the challenges. Basically the same rules apply as with the Mix Challenge in terms of being a "client" (currently not possible for members for revenue TAX collection services, possible solutions are being worked on)
  • for the Mastering Challenge: already finished stereo mixdowns at a reasonable average signal level, with as less summing bus treatment as possible
  • for the Remix Challenge: loops, samples and recorded instruments/vocals. Basically a more "simplified" multitrack project
  • if you're interested to see your production being remixed or mastered, then please reach out via the Contact Form
Spreading the word via Social Media (Twitter / Facebook) is also more than appreciated. Requests for new source material on these channels have been existent since 10th November - however, as of the date of this post, there is no follow up Remix Challenge in queue, please reach out

Please enjoy the games during January 2018, which happen to be purely songwriting oriented. :tu: