2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

Poll: Are you interested in a Mix Challenge podcast?

Ask us a question, give feedback, join surveys, make suggestions

Are you interested in a Mix Challenge Audio Community Postcast every 2-3 months?

Poll ended at Sat Apr 24, 2021 23:59 CEST

Yes - I'd love to listen to that
84%
No - I am not interested
16%
Undecided - I'd like to hear more about/discuss this first before I can make a decision
No votes

Total votes: 19

Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Poll: Are you interested in a Mix Challenge podcast?

Post by Mister Fox »

Hello everyone,

I have been toying with the idea of starting a podcast for a couple of months now. Initially, this was for a private project. But then I thought "why not build upon this idea, maybe branch out with the Mix Challenge a little bit more? Also offer something for those just reading along/listening in".

I came up with the following:
  • an (for the time being) audio-only podcast (if the interest will be higher this way, maybe video)
  • as starting point, and since I am unsure of the workload yet, every 3 months (4x a year, e.g. at the start of every meteorological season), but no more than every 2 months (6x a year)
  • the podcast might feature interviews with Song Providers for/from the Mix(ing) Challenge
  • maybe at a later state, it might even feature interviews with more known figures in the audio industry, companies and developers, etc
  • the podcast might feature the top three winners of the last Songwriting Competitions leading up to this podcast, offering a spotlight for participants, and giving a bit more focus on the Songwriting Competition
  • the podcast might be available up 2 weeks in advance for Patrons (Backers) of the Mix Challenge Audio Community

This sadly also comes with a slew of extra agreements for participants, especially considering the upcoming European-wide "Article 17/Copyright Laws". But I didn't set anything is stone yet. In fact, I am still noting down ideas as to where this road might lead to (including distribution loudness, where to release the podcast, etc).

My question to you would be: would you be interested in this idea?
And if so, what would you love to see or rather, hear?

Thank you for reading.

:idea: POLL INFO:
The poll will run until 24th April 2021 23:59 UTC+2/CEST. You can cast one vote. You are able change your vote until that deadline
fogle622

Re: Poll: Are you interested in a Mix Challenge podcast?

Post by fogle622 »

I see I'm the first to vote no. There are numerous small reasons why I'm not interested in a podcast.

The most compelling reason is I'm not at all interested in listening to podcasts. An audio podcast has too many ways to fail; uninteresting subject material, bad VOIP connection, poor editing, unfamiliar accents, poor diction, shy interviewee, dead time, poor microphone technique. There are likely more reasons I could come up with. It's hard to deliver any podcast but very difficult to consistently deliver a good one. If I do find a podcast with an interesting subject I prefer to read a podcast transcription because it's the subject material that originally grabbed my attention.

Another reason is I believe a podcast is a full time endeavor. There is a lot of behind the scenes work to present a consistent product. I'm sure this forum requires daily attention. I believe a podcast does also.

Finally, it takes time to build an audience.
Jim Fogle - fogle622 on the web
Cakewalk by Bandlab - Audacity
Band-in-a-Box & RealBand
All my effects are stock or free.

i3 Dell laptop, 64bit Win 10, 8 GB ram, 480GB SSD
Music at: http://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

Thank you for the feedback so far.

I would really love to create further traction for the community, and one of the ideas to do that, is a podcast as "summary". There are a lot of people that rather listen to something, than read about it. Or watch a video about it even. This might be a suitable option.

Technically, yes... just like the forum on a nigh daily basis (mind you: unpaid!), this would need a certain special attention as well. But it's not like tools exist these days that can automate a lot of things (noise reduction, special setups, etc). This is where templates would come in.

I would give this a serious shot for a couple of months, just like the audio community. See where this goes. Then one could talk about canceling things or not.

On that behalf... let me throw another option into the ring:
What if the podcast would be in video form? At least possible interviews?

Everything else would have a still background and text overlays. Friends of mine run radio channels that do the same with their Youtube and Facebook streams, and it works out nicely.

Then there are also "video podcasts" like from Sonic State (interviews and "straight up tech talk"). For the time being, I'd stick to "purely audio" though.
Naturecord

Post by Naturecord »

I would love to listen to a podcast specially if they featured discussions from some of the best mixes/mixers from the contests. To learn more in depth about the ideas and solutions other has had, with good results, on the same mixes that I have worked on, would have potential for a lot of learning!

I do listen to a lot of audio mixing podcast and find it very inspirational. But I do not watch a lot of mixing tutorials videos, unless I want to know more about a specific technique or similar. I usually listen to podcasts while driving/walking or doing other activities away from the computer or studio. When I am in the studio or in front of a computer I prefer to mix or do other stuff that needs my full attention.
I would agree that there is a lot of different quality in both production and content quality when it comes to podcasts, but I regularly listen to audio production podcasts like: Production Expert, Tape Op, Working Class Hero, Recording Lounge and The UBK Happy Funtime Hour. Also some Norwegian/Swedish podcast like “Bak Spakene” and “Musikprodd-podden”. I tend to gravitate towards those who focus on how and why things are done, practical tips and tricks or good practical advice, rather than “I have worked with xxx and xxx famous musicians”.

I have worked a lot with video the last years and, in my limited experience, to get good quality you both need to spend a lot of time and need some good tools to make it stand out. Good sound, picture, lighting, editing and color correction/grading takes skill and time, at least if you want to create something that looks professional. During the pandemic the bar has been raised, as a lot of people now are creating some quite high quality content (and a lot of bad). At the same time I do see that video would be a possible way to create some income to support this site, and it would maybe be easier to monetize from youtube/sponsorships with a video than with a podcast.
Anyways, I like the idea of a podcast and would definitely listen to it 😊
Pål Isdahl Solberg
www.naturecord.no
White Punk OD

Post by White Punk OD »

I never listen to any podcast, my way of living and also walking through nature, is incompatible.
Also, I dislike preachers, it is way too passive, to me this is not communication, I immediately want to be the better preacher and attack the other with my contradicting opinions. Ancient Greek agora style.

And I have seen that many successful studio guys in a way are good preachers in the communication with their artists. But they are in that way fully interactive, not one-directional.
To compete a format like what Warren Huart is doing, I have listened to him many times, is hopeless, they have at least 3000 paying community members. To maintain such a structure must take a lot of skill and wisdom, because everyone naturally wants to communicate with the most important and most skilled mentor.
(And many of their competitions about winning some gear, are actually lotteries, officially not based on judgement, beyond meeting entry rules.)

With this forum, we see already a lot of frustration about not getting enough personal feedback, and about a non-personal i.e. abstract mechanism of rules and given structures.

Perhaps a "podcast of the week" thread might make sense, about already existing, brilliant podcasts about a particular and interesting audio topic.
Square

Post by Square »

I think its a cool idea, it would be neat to have some good mixing tips along the way, maybe have a section dedicated to that? Depending on workload, it would be cool to hear these ideas in practice. I would prefer audio as you can just stick it in your pocket and go, but maybe a yearly video recap of the contests could be cool? Tho, i think doing anything video with people located all over the world would be a huge undertaking.The cavaet i would (potentially) see for audio is, i dont know much about how podcasts are compressed or if they would need to be, and if there would be enough resolution to hear the audio effects in detail?

Either way, sounds neat to me. :tu:
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

Just a quick one to this topic:

Video only once-a-year is kind of pushing it. The the general idea here is to generate more exposure.

The caveat of "audio only", that "mixing tips" are hard to pull off. Here, video might work better. However, audio is a tad faster to produce. There are pros and cons for both. I am also not thinking of something super special or being "the most skilled mentor" in the end. Think if of like a casual "radio show" talking about the community, presenting recent releases, etc.

Signal strength wise, I'd go with -16LUFS, even though -14LUFS is a target on more platforms (Spotify, Tidal, Amazon, Youtube, etc). I am just keeping things open for various platforms. I am unsure if I want to release in 320kbit MP3, or try the HD-AAC for once (M4A). Haven't experimented a lot with it yet.

Please keep up the conversation - we still have about 10 days left for this mini survey. So far we have 16 votes out of over 1150 forum members. But I'd love to gather more feedback.
RodA

Post by RodA »

I listen to podcasts while exercising and in the car. So if there was a mix challenge podcast I would probably listen to it.
Blang

Post by Blang »

For me, it would all depend on the quality of the podcast. So, how much useful information it contains (subjective) and/or is it entertaining to listen to (also very subjective). I would at least give the first two/three episodes a try. I do wonder if it will appeal to those who haven't entered any of the contests yet. It might make the community itself tighter I think.
White Punk OD

Post by White Punk OD »

Does the podcast contain a couple minutes of music? The pattern of music and text in a radio or podcast alone has big influence on listener statistics.
The format should create an environment that attracts people, who have something interesting and entertaining to say.
Will it be promoted on KVR and GearSpace?