2021-MAY-18 Info: Please have a look at Songwriting Competition 057 / May 2022. Theme: "Synth Racks, Presets and Cables", genre: any Electronic sub-genre.

Mix Challenge - General Gossip Thread

Ask us a question, give feedback, join surveys, make suggestions
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

Welcome to the General Gossip thread for the Mix Challenge.

Want to talk about things that came up during the game that are a bit off-topic, neither are they really fitting for Production Techniques?
Got a question beforehand that is not covered in the Rules or FAQ?

Then this thread is for you. Please type away. :educate:

⚠ Moderation Message from Mister Fox  
By joining the Mix(ing) Challenge, you agree to adhere to the given Rules and Guidelines (see post #6).

This thread is only for general feedback and constructive criticism, talk "overall game" topics (slight off-topic), ask questions if anything is unclear / not explained in each game thread already, and/or not covered in the FAQ, etc.

Any form of (ongoing) complaints / destructive criticism / harassment (e.g. "staff lecturing") will result in an instant delete of your post without any further warning. If you continue to push the matter, then only one formal warning will be addressed, after that your account will be banned. Please keep things civil.

This thread will be reset on a regular basis. (currently: every August)

cpsmusic

Re: Mix Challenge - General Gossip Thread

Post by cpsmusic »

Hi All,

I have a couple of thoughts about the Mix Challenge and I'm interested in seeing what others think.

As it currently stands, only those selected for Round 2 get feedback. I understand why this is the case (to reduce the obligations on the song provider) however I feel that there's a big problem with this because it will generally mean that those who need the most help with mixing are the least likely to receive it. To me, this doesn't align with the stated aims of the Challenge as being an "educational monthly recurring audio challenge...". How can people expect to improve their skills without at least knowing why their mix was rejected? I know of several Challenge participants who have mentioned the lack of feedback to me privately and left the Challenge for this reason.

Thoughts?

Cheers!
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

Pity to see people leave because of "the lack of feedback".

However, I can't and won't ask more of the Song Provider as listening to tenths of entries, comparing things with each other and making notes, is a lot of work that is often overlooked in this discussion. And I can't do more than I already do, which is already way more than other competition places offer (where there is usually zero feedback!).

The only way to really push the feedback side of things, if people interact more with each other. Comment on what was good, what could be improve and/or looked at from a different point of view. In public (not via PM), so everyone can chime in

The platforms are there, participants only need to use it.
cpsmusic

Post by cpsmusic »

Mister Fox wrote:
Sat Mar 19, 2022 02:21 CET
Pity to see people leave because of "the lack of feedback".

However, I can't and won't ask more of the Song Provider as listening to tenths of entries, comparing things with each other and making notes, is a lot of work that is often overlooked in this discussion. And I can't do more than I already do, which is already way more than other competition places offer (where there is usually zero feedback!).

The only way to really push the feedback side of things, if people interact more with each other. Comment on what was good, what could be improve and/or looked at from a different point of view. In public (not via PM), so everyone can chime in

The platforms are there, participants only need to use it.
I'm not suggesting that you do more Mr Fox, I realise that you already do too much!

I think I've mentioned this before but I would like to see a very simple ranking system used - A, B, C, D, E. "A" goes through to Round 2, "B" is close, "C" needs more work, etc. Wouldn't the song provider have to do this anyway? At least then participants would get an indication of where they're at.

I guess that one of the problems is that particpants are here for different reasons - some want to improve their skills, but others might just do it for fun and not really care.

BTW, I've posted in the Challenge thread that I'll happily do mix evaluations if others will evaluate my mix.

Cheers!
White Punk OD

Post by White Punk OD »

I am wondering too, why the crowd is not communicative, while in certain forums there are postings half a page long or a 100 lines, and threads with 5000 pages.
OTOH, dynamic mechanisms like a vehicle of favoritism by crowd voting etc, and emotionalizing, did not achieve sympathy because they are difficult to handle.
The world situation looks into the windows of communities in different ways. I see this as a breakdown of genuine communication, due to regulative capture and character assassination.
Only a few still communicate, but then with massive noise and clash, like fighting clubs and mixed martial arts, which is kind of self-purpose and has little creativity.
To me, the trending aspect seems resignation.
Clueless

Post by Clueless »

White Punk OD wrote:
Sat Mar 19, 2022 19:51 CET
I am wondering too, why the crowd is not communicative, while in certain forums there are postings half a page long or a 100 lines, and threads with 5000 pages.
OTOH, dynamic mechanisms like a vehicle of favoritism by crowd voting etc, and emotionalizing, did not achieve sympathy because they are difficult to handle.
The world situation looks into the windows of communities in different ways. I see this as a breakdown of genuine communication, due to regulative capture and character assassination.
Only a few still communicate, but then with massive noise and clash, like fighting clubs and mixed martial arts, which is kind of self-purpose and has little creativity.
To me, the trending aspect seems resignation.
I just see it that everyone wants to be a winner, rather than a group for self improvement
I started out here thinking that it would be a place to learn, when in fact it just appears to be a post, cross fingers & leave
It’s a shame really, Mister Fox has put a lot into establishing the forum, & tbh I’ve learnt a few things, mainly it’s down to me, myself & I
alantwelve

Post by alantwelve »

Clueless wrote:
Fri Apr 22, 2022 10:35 CEST
I just see it that everyone wants to be a winner, rather than a group for self improvement
I think you're maybe being a little unfair here, Clueless. I think the competition and prizes are probably slightly detrimental to the general altruistic spirit, but I reckon that a much greater factor is that it's necessary to give negative feedback if people are to improve, and that's not necessarily an easy thing to do when you're dealing with strangers.

This is only my second challenge and I am going to start handing out some feedback tonight and over the weekend, for whatever my opinion is worth. Last time out in MC084 I really did want to wade in with advice about the terrible guitar sounds the band had lumped us with, but I didn't really want my second post on the board to be one criticising both another challenger, and the song provider! (I hope this is coming over in the lighthearted way it's intended!)

Some people online get really angry if you criticise them, however well meaning you are. I can do without that, and I'm sure many others feel the same.
alantwelve

Post by alantwelve »

Another thing maybe preventing feedback - none of us here are experts, I assume, and while you might hear something and think it sounds wrong, you might not be able to say why with any confidence.