2020-SEP-01 Info: Please check out Songwriting Competition 037 (Mental Health Awareness Month) and create some soothing "Lo-fi Hip Hop"

Mix Challenge - General Gossip Thread

Ask us a question, give feedback, join surveys, make suggestions
White Punk OD

Re: Mix Challenge - General Gossip Thread

Post by White Punk OD »

Mr. Fox,
both guys would have to take a serious invest, to be part of this game, or to serve to one of the still frequent 44.1 - bound clients.
(But a mastering engineer, who is not part of this mixing context, would mitigate the situation.)

1) The one who has mixing hardware that can only deliver at 48k. New equipment, or at least a very costly high-class SRC.

2) The guy who experiences quality problems when rendering at 44.1 ==> new, commercial DAW again, and a set of quality plugins, beyond the stock plugins, to keep up with various flavors of sounds that may be required. Or at least the costly SRC software.

But also, 3) the mixing engineer who participates, might furthermore be an established mastering engineer with full equipment, and can solve the task with running the mix through his analog chain, ending up with correct sample rate and correct everything. What one brings with him, will likely be relevant to the outcome and success.
An analog chain of hgh quality is clearly a legit solution.

I believe that only talent, skills and knowledge should make the difference, and of course, also the "chemistry" among the partners that end up working together.

It is in the nature of such a big contest, that some song providers and some mixing contributors may be technically not very compatible.
This brings up the question of a technical facility for format conversions, that
* should have the technical quality at the very level that is technical quality criteria to the contest. *

Unless such a facility can be provided by the contest infrastructure, or a donor (which are all quite speculative ideas), the same issue can arise again and again, in any kind of pairing or collaboration, and thus, the solution of the day will remain arbitrary, to the discretion of the host.
My opinion on this, we have to live with it, or lower the technical criteria (accept the quality that r8brain or the other free tools can deliver - and if the song provider wants to work with the contestant, they can negotiate anything anyway on their own).

Mister Fox
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

Okay... I politely ask you to stop posting now.

I've asked to keep things simple and to the point. You keep on blowing things out of proportion, wind up things and miss what is the most important at hand. You keep on blending topic, brag on and on and on about "mastering" and "mastering engineers". It's more than confusing, and this is affecting me way too much at this point (I have to read your posts 3-4 times to even grasp what you try to convey, which is not only stealing me a lot of time, but also a lot of energy currently as well).

I'm putting an end to this.

This topic does not affect you personally. Your equipment makes it possible to switch between sampling rates.
Please stop responding to this topic, White Punk OD.

@Chriswilson83
If you could please respond to my PM, or post about the topic at hand (since this affects users like you the most), that would be great. Thank you.

Clueless

Post by Clueless »

I’m not even sure why I’m responding, couldn’t someone who can convert, just convert, post the package and be done with it. Entrant just says what SR that it was done in and everyone’s happy? Is it all about winning, being No1 or a challenge , mostly to yourself, as you get to mix things which you probably wouldn’t in everyday life.?

Mister Fox
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

This is not about converting a whole mix package, this is about the final export format.

We have participants that have a limitation in terms of hardware (certain specific digital mix consoles, see this post and my response above). They can import/upsample 44/24 multitracks, but can only export in 48/24 or 96/24 (depending on the digital console at their disposal).

So these particular participants would not even be able to join the game, since they can't deliver in the same format the source material was provided in (see Rules and Guidelines since MC050's, refined for MC064). And if they would submit their entry regardless, then this results in an instant disqualification.

I thought this to be a non-issue at this day and age. But there are always one or two companies swimming against the current, making things unnecessarily difficult for collaborations.

I will continue to read myself into SoX - Sound eXchange, try some things the next days. Once more, I have no experience with macOS, but apparently you can download the macOS executable - you only need to know how to run a command line. If you do, I can then provide settings. It's super simple on Windows (CMD/Command Prompt).

I only try to find out what would be possible for these affected participants (hence me asking for feedback from them), if they have a backup "playback" engine where one can check if the edit was properly converted, etc. If so, then this is a possible solution to still stay in the game and I can adjust the Rule Book for the "Mix(ing) Challenge" accordingly.

BespokeAudio

Post by BespokeAudio »

Dear Foxamillion,

Thank you for calling me out in a clear and concise way. I'm new to this competition, but really, who fucking cares?
It's great that the Challenge has come to this point and that you *can* disqualify people.

Rock on.
Make more art.
Nail it next time.
Repeat.

BespokeAudio

Post by BespokeAudio »

Followup:
If I couldn't be bothered to check how many channels were in my audio file, well...
:face:
I also gave feedback in the official thread, so please feel free to use me as an example of what NOT to do. :uhuhuh:

doobop

How Do I make an upload to DropBox accesable for download?

Post by doobop »

Hi there,
could anyone tell me how I upload a file for to Dropbox for anyone in MixChallenge to Download?

I've been disqualified from mix contest MC064 because my mix was not been able for download!

Regards

copyc4t

Re: How Do I make an upload to DropBox accesable for download?

Post by copyc4t »

doobop wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 14:13 CEST
Hi there,
could anyone tell me how I upload a file for to Dropbox for anyone in MixChallenge to Download?
Hi,
just login on your browser, go to the Dropbox folder with the file you want to share, click on the "..." button to the right, then click the first option, "Share"; you'll see a popup window, click on "Create link" in the bottom right of the popup, then click on "Copy link" again in the bottom right, and paste the link in your submission message.

Jorgeelalto

Re: How Do I make an upload to DropBox accesable for download?

Post by Jorgeelalto »

doobop wrote:
Hi there,

I've been disqualified from mix contest MC064 because my mix was not been able for download!

Regards
You can check whether your link works for other people or not by opening an Incognito Mode window in your browser and pasting the link there :tu:

Mister Fox
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

doobop wrote:
Hi there,

Regards
The DropBox documentation can help you:
https://help.dropbox.com/files-folders/ ... nly-access

Else - I share Jorgeelalto's sentiment. I think I'll add this to the Rules and Guidelines in some shape or form.
Jorgeelalto wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 23:34 CEST
You can check whether your link works for other people or not by opening an Incognito Mode window in your browser and pasting the link there :tu:

BespokeAudio wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 09:38 CEST
It's great that the Challenge has come to this point and that you *can* disqualify people.

Followup:
If I couldn't be bothered to check how many channels were in my audio file, well...
:face:
We've been handling/issuing disqualifications since pretty much the first Mix Challenge in 2014. It's just that I've recently talked more open about it, because we had endless discussions about the established Rule Book (as to what things "can be bent" and what can be plain downright broken).

I'm not drawing anymore lines in the sand.

BespokeAudio wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 09:38 CEST
Rock on.
Make more art.
Nail it next time.
Repeat.
That is exactly the spirit I'd like to see:
Learn and grow from the experience, try again. Only this way you can improve. :thumbsup: