2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC40 February 2018 - Winners announced

Join the Mix Challenge - recurrence: February until December
Henrik Hjortnaes

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC40 February 2018 - Submissions until 21-02-2018 GMT+1/CET

Post by Henrik Hjortnaes »

Beeble wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 22:06 CET
I tried to add some more groove to this one.
So the snare needed some 1/8. delay from iZotopes DDL Delay.
I really enjoy your job on the snare. Nonintrusive, relaxed and grooving. iZotopes DDL Delay is so seldom talked about but it is great. Nice that you are using it.
kc23

Post by kc23 »

Here it goes... last minute as always... :face:

wav:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/hr90p8jps3wuf ... 3.wav?dl=0

mp3:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/3c0ujklzsrshm ... 3.mp3?dl=0

I also used the izotope delay! got it a long time ago when it was free, go figure... I think it´s awesome.

Used mainly AcusticaAudio Lime and Amethyst for this... also some Nomad and stock plugins that came with Sonar... experimented with sidechains and autogains to make it "organic"... tried for an "artificially natural" feel... hehe

Lots of participants this time! Nice!!

Good luck everyone!

edit: came to add the mp3 link and saw my original post at 6:04... it seems it took me five minutes to write it... hopefully I´m in... right?... right?

:hail: !!!!!!
Beeble

Post by Beeble »

Henrik Hjortnaes wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 23:44 CET
I really enjoy your job on the snare. Nonintrusive, relaxed and grooving. iZotopes DDL Delay is so seldom talked about but it is great. Nice that you are using it.
Thank you Henrik. I like DDL for its easy handling. I like to use it for rhythm/groove tweaking or even for real crazy things.
It´s more a toy than a tool for me.
When I first listened to that song i had in mind that it needs swing and some movement without overdoing and destroying the character.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC40 February 2018 - Mix Round 1 in evaluation

Post by Mister Fox »

It is the 22nd February 2017, 4:35pm GMT+1/CET - the first Mix Round has officially ended

If I didn't miscount, we have 25 minus 1 participants this month (so 24 altogether)! 9 participants more than last month (15) and a whooping 16 participants more than 2017 (8). Mork's mix won't count this challenge, as he is penalized for February due to a rule violation in December.

There has been been 1 submission after the deadline (a warning to kc23, 4min over!). No other "warnings" due to rule violations (yet).

Please check all if your links again, make them downloadable. Those that uploaded MP3s only, please take note: providing a FLAC (on low bandwidth)/WAV (on DSL and higher) file is mandatory now. Those of you that only uploaded a WAV, a MP3 version would be nice. Please also update your posts with minimal documentation for others to learn from (see Rules & Guidelines).

I now open the field for everyone to give each other feedback (highly encouraged). This will be independent to the client feedback however.

Please watch this spot for the client feedback and Mix Round 2 participant announcement.

Good luck to all participants.

The Songwriting Competition 06 (SWC06) is still in full swing.
The deadline is 24th February 2017, 11:59pm GMT+1/CET
kevin gobin

Post by kevin gobin »

That MC40 Round 1 is very interesting, a lot of creative decisions and mixing styles can make the song very different but great (so that song must be great).
I really like 5 or 6 mixes here, and the other ones I like less have something I really like into them, so congrats everybody. :clap:
Henrik Hjortnaes

kevin gobin wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 09:55 CET
Technically, I mostly played with EQ, compression, transients, and widening plugins.
And some wow & flutter on one of the solo keys, it seems - I like it a lot :phones: . Also, you have a sweet top-end to your mix as always.

With regards to the "14 Chords mono" track - the 8 bit-like aliasing artifacts on the whole track, I don't like so much, but that goes for most mixes here including my own. I know the aliasing is a throwback to the 80s, but my ears just picks it up in no time and it's there throughout the whole track. We spent the entire 80s trying to get rid of it - for a reason :wink:

What did you use for widening, if I may ask? (apart from delay and reverb, I mostly used iZotope Imager).
kevin gobin

Post by kevin gobin »

Thank you Henrik!
Yes, Steven Wilson was there for dinner and he said "Kevin please throw something on that electric piano part", and it works for me too.
About the "14 Chord mono" track dithering FX, I agree with you, and those same chords are really beautiful in your beautiful groovy mix. What did you use on your 14?
About widening, I often use M/S plugins like StereoControl and BX Control.
Henrik Hjortnaes

@Kevin, I tried to get around the aliasing by running through a guitar cab, like this:

Kuassa AmpCreme = Amp is off but the signal runs through Marshall cab and 57 mic = dark.
Acon Multiply = Mono chorus, default preset.
Tonelux Tilt = Cut low end.
NI Phasis = Vibrant preset.
Waves F6 = duck some low end keyed by the Kick.
d16 Repeater = some preset that pulses left to right. This plugin is amazing!

Doing a steep low pass at 2 kHz would have eliminated all artifacts from this track. I probably should have tried that, but didn't. The artifacts do add a little mystery after all, don't mind me, @3ee :oops:
Last edited by Henrik Hjortnaes on Thu Feb 22, 2018 13:56 CET, edited 1 time in total.
3ee

Post by 3ee »

Henrik Hjortnaes wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 23:35 CET
...I'm just a simple home guy with an iLok and 2 cats! :lol:
... now there's a cool name for a cat... "iLok" :hihi:

---------
almost done downloading all the mixes, stay tuned... :)
Henrik Hjortnaes

3ee wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 13:56 CET
... now there's a cool name for a cat... "iLok" :hihi:
Never thought of that! It's perfect! I should have called mine iLok2 and iLok3 :smile: