2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

MIX CHALLENGE - MC42 April 2018 - Winners announced

Join the Mix Challenge - recurrence: February until December
MOA22

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC42 April 2018 - Mix Round 1 in evaluation

Post by MOA22 »

Dave McIsaac :
Loudness -14 db LUFS integrated. (target = -18). Ok

Balance : Good, really. Especially for the way you dealed with the back vocals (nice panning idea). I can ear everything ! Just maybe a boost of the gut guitar during the 2nd verse ? A tiny more upfront lead vocal (choruses). And please calm down a bit those cymbs.

Tone : More bass guitar below 50 ? No very disturbing. Loved the lo mid of it (just a bit loud at 300-350) !!! A little cut of the drum bus at 200 could help. Nice vocal tone (no harshness)

Stereo : Balance is nice = stereo is nice too

Space/reverb : Good ! Love the « cold » tone of the verb

Dynamics/distortion : Good punch !

General : A pleasure to listen to ! Congrats Dave ! Thank you for that good submission, and for the time spent on it.
MOA22

Post by MOA22 »

Dave VasDim :
Loudness -13 db LUFS integrated. (target = -18). Ok

Balance : I just need more lead vocals during the choruses. And the brass could be better with a db less. Other than that, nice

Tone : Good. I need more bass guitar below 50. Good low mid for the bass gtr ! More Hi mid for the guitars could help. Good vocals

Stereo : Nice !!!

Space/reverb : Lead vocal/Drums need a spacial dimension that i can’t feel in your mix like a one second flat verb with a quite big predelay, something like 20 ms.

Dynamics/distortion : The snare needs more attack to cut more in the mix. The attack time on the lead vocal tracks could be longer. The mix is a bit busy. Need more breath and level modulation.

MODULATION : Be carefull with the modulation fx on the brass that is not needed so loud !

General : Thank you VasDim, you did a pretty good job. No big mistake for me, and easy to improve. Once again, I just feel very honored by the work you did.
MOA22

Post by MOA22 »

Dave olli-h :
Loudness -19 db LUFS integrated. (target = -18). Nice

Balance : Nice one. I can ear everything. (guitar pretty loud by the way). Just a tiny bit more lead vocals during the choruses is needed.

Tone : Bright mix (a bit too much). The vocal could be better with a 200 and 400 boost. The hi mid boost of the bass guitar is a bit loud. The kick hi mid boost too. More body for the guitars could be better (verses). The toms are thin. Other than that, loved it.

Stereo : Good

Space/reverb : The centered verb is not enough in the mix, maybe because of a bad panning, and a too short predelay.

Dynamics/distortion : The kick is a bit aggressive, a shorter attack time could be better. Nice punch for the snare. The guitars are sometimes a bit edgy/aggressiv.

Modulation : The fx used on the guitars is cool.

General : Where are the brass during the second verse/bridge ? Your mix is pretty cool. Hope you had fun working on it. Thank you olli-h!!
MOA22

Post by MOA22 »

Arthur Labus :
Loudness -19 db LUFS integrated. (target = -18). Nice

Balance : Lead vocals are too quiet. And back vocals are too loud. The brass are far. The drums are too upfront for me. The automations are too drastic for the brass bus (before and and the end of the choruses).

Tone : The bass gtr totally vanish below 60. Overall good tone. The vocals need a boost at 3-4K (choruses). the guitars need an hipass at 80-100. Pretty good bass sound

Stereo : Good

Space/reverb : Not sure that a gated verb is appropriate for that mix (question of taste)

Dynamics/distortion : The snare hits hard.

Modulation : The chorus fx on the gtrs could be in parallel, more dry signal is needed.

General : Thank you Arthur for the effort. You just have to deal with those balance issues. Keep on mixing !!!! Some good ideas !!!
MOA22

Post by MOA22 »

Studio Saturn Session :
Loudness -15 db LUFS integrated. (target = -18). ok

Balance : Pretty good. Need more lead vocals during the choruses. And less brass (during the verse too for the brass). The bass guitar is loud (tone)

Tone : You mix is dark and to strong below 60. There is a general lack of clarity and presence. By boosting between 500 and 4K the whole mix sounds far better.
Something like a monitoring issue (what do you use ?)

Stereo : Nice panning

Dynamics/distortion : Some more punch for the snare would better, but no real problem.

General : You probably need too improve your monitors/headphones to be able to mix with a flatter tone balance. I have to thank you for the time you spent working on it. Peace.
MOA22

Post by MOA22 »

Still 7 submissions to review.
Cannot do more tonight.

I just have a first selection of 11 (!) mixes.

Night Mix-Challengers !!
Dodgingrain

Post by Dodgingrain »

Thanks for the really good feedback! :smile:
Mixing, Mastering, Remixing Services
Two Cat Audio Labs, llc
https://www.twocataudiolabs.com
https://www.instagram.com/twocataudiolabs/
Olli H

Post by Olli H »

Thanks MOA22 for skillful comments. If I happen to manage to the second round, I must change my reference. Jeff Buckley's "Grace" is probably a bit too bright and thin.
Studio Saturn

Post by Studio Saturn »

MOA22 wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 00:02 CEST
Studio Saturn Session :
Loudness -15 db LUFS integrated. (target = -18). ok

Balance : Pretty good. Need more lead vocals during the choruses. And less brass (during the verse too for the brass). The bass guitar is loud (tone)

Tone : You mix is dark and to strong below 60. There is a general lack of clarity and presence. By boosting between 500 and 4K the whole mix sounds far better.
Something like a monitoring issue (what do you use ?)

Stereo : Nice panning

Dynamics/distortion : Some more punch for the snare would better, but no real problem.

General : You probably need too improve your monitors/headphones to be able to mix with a flatter tone balance. I have to thank you for the time you spent working on it. Peace.
Thanks MOA22 For the Feedback I haven't spend like too much time I cooked it with 30 minute to mix the song and my apology for that. The song really is great it deserves a lot. However, I have been playing with it after I submitted inside reaper as you can hear it is not even no where what I think finished but this was what I came up there is the snippet that I have send for a lovely user who asked me to hear it in this forum. Thank you so much for taking time to listen and comment you deserve a lot. My apology for not taking the time to perfect the mix. https://drive.google.com/open?id=1haGV_ ... f3QuYxwvHF
Photonic

Post by Photonic »

Hello Moa22,

thank you very much for the detailed feedback. Those are clear desribed issues and statements with wich I can work.
I did not not use any exciter. The harshness must come from the individual tracks.
Glad you like my brass sound!