2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

MIX CHALLENGE - MC043 May 2018 - Winners announced

Join the Mix Challenge - recurrence: February until December
Saras

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC043 May2018 - Submissions until 21-05-2018 11:59pm GMT+2/CEST

Post by Saras »

Hello,

Thank you for listening to my mix.

MP3: https://www.dropbox.com/s/48q3go6ffv8ew ... s.mp3?dl=0
Last edited by Saras on Tue May 22, 2018 09:14 CEST, edited 2 times in total.
kevin gobin

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC043 May2018 - Submissions until 21-05-2018 11:59pm GMT+2/CEST

Post by kevin gobin »

Hi everyone,

Thanks Jorge for sharing!

I mostly played with volume automations, and sidechain compressions to make the bass evolve the way i want.

I also put compression and tape emulation on my 2BUS.

Here are the links:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vqxeev4atvr5a ... n.mp3?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vaasxjrlwhum5 ... n.wav?dl=0

See you soon, good luck everybody!
SRMix

Post by SRMix »

Hi all,

Thanks Jorge for the song.

Mix Full ITB with eq and a comp mostly on single channels, a bit of ambient on both drums and instrumental and a comp and a saturator on the 2 buss.

good luck everybody!

wav: https://mega.nz/#!MnJklL4S!4iAbhBlT1HL2 ... Xu24RMMQCg

mp3: https://mega.nz/#!s2xHyaoI!kszP9WXxadvM ... YKE4JTafow
marc clement

Post by marc clement »

Hi All,

This is not a genre I am familiar with so I`d thought I`d give it a go.

Not a lot to say other than I peak normalized all files to -18 to give me a bit of space. I followed the time stretch instructions and checked against the guide ......struggling to get it to sit right......

Mix wise. mostly Decapitator and TG12345 and Deviloc for distortion. SSl for eq. I used the "Schepps rear bus technique " and a similar Master Bus- Puiltec Eq, SSl comp. API comp ( just for the colour ) Slate tape and True peak limiter......

It was fun!

MP3 https://drive.google.com/file/d/1b6jvcr ... sp=sharing

WAV https://drive.google.com/file/d/13oQAV6 ... sp=sharing

Marc Clement
Mork
Wild Card x1
Wild Card x1

Post by Mork »

Heyho,

this was fun and pure Reaper hate in one! I thought I'd just draw in the tempo change and Reaper would stretch the audio accordingly... NOPE! :curse: :mad: :bang: I would really love to hear how the other Reaper heads here did it, I ended up automating the playrate.

Because the original mix was really pumping hard (with a somewhat hectic groove), I also went for a really pumping mix (with a groovy groove, I hope). I aimed for what feels like psy to me (and makes me wanna go to Wonderland here in Germany again :hihi: ) and the house should be like that sound bubble pumping french house. A lot of technical terms used here!
I split the trance and house instruments in two busses with ever so slightly different pumping characteristics, tailored to tempo and genre. I also split the kick to get a trancy deep clicky kick and a more housy 909ish knocking kick. The drums all share the same drumbuss to keep them somewhat unified and regognizable as part of one song.
I hope you enjoy it! :tu:

WAV: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1fvPUb ... SENgoLLWNY
MP3: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1yFQSc ... B51bJzOCWD

Cheers
Mork
Nonlinear

Post by Nonlinear »

Mork wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 23:20 CEST
I thought I'd just draw in the tempo change and Reaper would stretch the audio accordingly... NOPE! :curse: :mad: :bang: I would really love to hear how the other Reaper heads here did it, I ended up automating the playrate.
Mork
I learned a lot about Reaper working this project. Tempo mapping audio in Reaper is not as easy as in Cubase - but better results, IMHO, because you have more control over what it's doing.

The task here was to take tracks with a straight tempo and match them to a demo mix that had variable tempo. With MIDI it's fairly easy, with audio tracks it takes a few more steps.

1) I loaded all the tracks into Reaper in "linear time" mode including the demo mix. I locked the demo track in Time mode so it would not get accidentally stretched or moved. All other tracks I left in "project tempo" mode which was initially set to "Time" mode.

2) I grouped all the audio tracks (except the demo mix) to make sure they all moved and edited together

3) I "tempo mapped" the demo mix by manually placing markers at every downbeat leading up to, during, and just after the transition.

4) I converted the markers to a tempo map using the Mordi script "create tempo map from markers"

5) I selected and copied all points in the tempo track then "reset points to zero/center". This step left the tempo marker points in position but set all to the same, straight tempo ("project tempo" which I set to 130bpm).

6) with the tempo grid at a straight tempo I inserted stretch markers in every audio track (except the demo mix) at every tempo marker in the tempo map using another script "add stretch markers to selected items at tempo markers". Since the tracks were grouped they all got stretch markers in the same places in one step. The tracks all had a steady tempo and so did the tempo track at this stage.

7) I then changed the project timebase to "Beats" mode and pasted the tempo points back into the tempo track. Pasting in the tempo data updated all the stretch markers and the audio beneath. The tempo of the source tracks now matched the tempo of the demo mix. I cleaned it up a bit afterwards but otherwise it worked pretty well.

It's a lot of steps but AFAIK that's how it's done in Reaper. In Cubase stretch points are automatically inserted but in Reaper it's all manual AND independent from the tempo track. I fussed with it for days - and made lots of BIG messes! - trying to figure out how to do this but now I understand it. Reaper experts, if there's an easier way PLEASE ADVISE! :)

BTW - I tried doing this using 2 tempo points and a linear ramp between them but could not get it to line up with the demo mix. Either the demo mix was not a linear tempo change or I just couldn't find the right transition points. "Tempo mapping" using multiple points did the job.
Jorgeelalto
Song Provider
Song Provider

Post by Jorgeelalto »

Hi guys,

Thanks a lot for all the love! I'm glad that you liked the track, I'll start to review all of your mixes tomorrow or the day after it (I think the time is up now), also have in mind you are a lot of participants so I might need a few days to take notes on every mix and all that.

I will take into account the difficulties with the time stretching and tempo changes, too, so don't worry too much about it if you have had difficulties with it.

Thanks again for all the participations and kind words, will keep you informed.
Waleed Morris

Post by Waleed Morris »

Nonlinear wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 00:20 CEST
Mork wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 23:20 CEST
I thought I'd just draw in the tempo change and Reaper would stretch the audio accordingly... NOPE! :curse: :mad: :bang: I would really love to hear how the other Reaper heads here did it, I ended up automating the playrate.
Mork
I learned a lot about Reaper working this project. Tempo mapping audio in Reaper is not as easy as in Cubase - but better results, IMHO, because you have more control over what it's doing.

The task here was to take tracks with a straight tempo and match them to a demo mix that had variable tempo. With MIDI it's fairly easy, with audio tracks it takes a few more steps.

1) I loaded all the tracks into Reaper in "linear time" mode including the demo mix. I locked the demo track in Time mode so it would not get accidentally stretched or moved. All other tracks I left in "project tempo" mode which was initially set to "Time" mode.

2) I grouped all the audio tracks (except the demo mix) to make sure they all moved and edited together

3) I "tempo mapped" the demo mix by manually placing markers at every downbeat leading up to, during, and just after the transition.

4) I converted the markers to a tempo map using the Mordi script "create tempo map from markers"

5) I selected and copied all points in the tempo track then "reset points to zero/center". This step left the tempo marker points in position but set all to the same, straight tempo ("project tempo" which I set to 130bpm).

6) with the tempo grid at a straight tempo I inserted stretch markers in every audio track (except the demo mix) at every tempo marker in the tempo map using another script "add stretch markers to selected items at tempo markers". Since the tracks were grouped they all got stretch markers in the same places in one step. The tracks all had a steady tempo and so did the tempo track at this stage.

7) I then changed the project timebase to "Beats" mode and pasted the tempo points back into the tempo track. Pasting in the tempo data updated all the stretch markers and the audio beneath. The tempo of the source tracks now matched the tempo of the demo mix. I cleaned it up a bit afterwards but otherwise it worked pretty well.

It's a lot of steps but AFAIK that's how it's done in Reaper. In Cubase stretch points are automatically inserted but in Reaper it's all manual AND independent from the tempo track. I fussed with it for days - and made lots of BIG messes! - trying to figure out how to do this but now I understand it. Reaper experts, if there's an easier way PLEASE ADVISE! :)

BTW - I tried doing this using 2 tempo points and a linear ramp between them but could not get it to line up with the demo mix. Either the demo mix was not a linear tempo change or I just couldn't find the right transition points. "Tempo mapping" using multiple points did the job.
Actually there is many ways to do the same thing in Reaper ! I decided from the beginning I'll do time stretching after complete my mix ! for the sake of ocd i like to approach mix with the original tempo - this is what I learned !! and less chaos to me.
So back to Reaper - I made just 2 stretching marker from bar 1 to end -switch mode to beat set tempo and align them up and vola .
-Made 2 (Normal) marker between the bars 98.1.00 and 114.1.00 -hit (shift c) tempo time signature marker and check gradually transition tempo to the next marker and set the tempo to 128 BPM. (you could use automation tempo here as well) but this feature more way better if you want liner tempo.
-Select marker number 2 (bar 114) and do the same but unchecked (gradually transition tempo to the next marker)and set the tempo to 130 - Render and vola. Edit : Just curious to know what algorithms time stretching you used "Nonlinear"
Good luck to all .
Last edited by Waleed Morris on Tue May 22, 2018 14:59 CEST, edited 3 times in total.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC043 May2018 - in evaluation

Post by Mister Fox »

It is the 22nd May 2018, 4:45am GMT+2/CEST - the first Mix Round has officially ended

If I didn't miscount, we have 16 entries this month! 6 participants less than last month (22) and 1 participant less than 2017 (17).

There has been been 0 submission after the deadline (pitta)
I have to give out 0 warnings due to a rule violations
There are a handful of users that did not provide minimal documentation or just an MP3 (newcomer Saras for example)

Keep in mind, this could lead to a disqualification of your entry!

Please check all if your links again, make them downloadable. Those that uploaded MP3s only, please take note: providing a FLAC (on low bandwidth)/WAV (on DSL and higher) file is mandatory now. Those of you that only uploaded a WAV, a MP3 version would be nice. Please also update your posts with minimal documentation for others to learn from (see Rules & Guidelines).

I now open the field for everyone to give each other feedback (highly encouraged). This will be independent to the client feedback however.

Please watch this spot for the client feedback and Mix Round 2 participant announcement.

Good luck to all participants.

The Songwriting Competition 09 (SWC09) is still in full swing.
The deadline is 24th May 2018, 11:59pm GMT+2/CEST

The Remix Challenge 02 has been extended to the 18th June 2018, 11:59pm GMT+2/CEST
kevin gobin

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC043 May2018 - in evaluation

Post by kevin gobin »

I did exactly the same method as Wizoo.
I guess he is right! :grin: