2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

MIX CHALLENGE - MC044 June 2018 - Winners announced

Join the Mix Challenge - recurrence: February until December
Baddo

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC044 June 2018 - Mix Round 2 in evaluation

Post by Baddo »

Coiled_Ear wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 06:22 CEST
thank you! but Rogro post his r2 version after deadline. Mr.Fox should judge this moment I think.
I guess Mr. Fox might look at this otherwise. The way I see it, he posted after the deadline but his mix was posted in Round 1, he didn't do any revisions, that is why I considered it. And it's a damn fine mix if you ask me.

Cheers
Last edited by Baddo on Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:30 CEST, edited 1 time in total.
Coiled_Ear

Post by Coiled_Ear »

OK, nevermind. It just about the rules and only.
OctopusOnFire

Post by OctopusOnFire »

Well, seems those resonances in the guitars heavily punished my result. I wish I had been aware of it earlier, but can't complain after listening to the winning mixes. Congrats and thanks once again to Baddo for providing such a cool production.
Baddo

Post by Baddo »

OctopusOnFire wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:18 CEST
Well, seems those resonances in the guitars heavily punished my result. I wish I had been aware of it earlier, but can't complain after listening to the winning mixes. Congrats and thanks once again to Baddo for providing such a cool production.
They only became apparent to me when comparing to other mixes at this final stage, so I couldn't have directed your attention to them before. Like I said, your mix is pretty fine on it's own.

But you do identify them now, correct? The whole point is to gain insight.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

Coiled_Ear wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 06:22 CEST
thank you! but Rogro post his r2 version after deadline. Mr.Fox should judge this moment I think.
There is no need for me to "judge".
Technically, Rogro would be disqualified, as he didn't submit an edit for Round 2.

Practically however, the client (in this case Leonardo / Baddo) decided what to do, and which this route the MC044 goes. So if the Round 2 entries are actually a disimprovement over Round 1, then the die are cast anew anyway. Suddenly runner ups might drop down in rank, while those that didn't submit a new/improved version might go up.

It's ultimately the client's call. The SWC rules are a bit more strict on that behalf, so I understand the confusion (no feedback given and/or no vote means instant disqualification). But sure - we can discuss this in Gossip how we should perform in the future.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC044 June 2018 - Winners announced

Post by Mister Fox »

First and foremost, congratulations to the winners!

The Winners Podium is
1) Mork
2) Henrik Hjortnaes
3) Rogro

We perform with the usual - please select one license out of the pool (in order of the winners podium) and mention it in this thread, then (important) get in touch with me via PM with your full name and mail address.

I'll update the "winners podium" thread shortly.

Thanks again for your participation. You can leave the thread alive if you want to exchange tips/tricks, edits, etc.
MC46 is in full swing - see you over there!

To the songwriters among us, the Songwriting Competition 12 is also up and running. You can find it here:
http://mix-challenge.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11
OctopusOnFire

Post by OctopusOnFire »

Baddo wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 03:41 CEST
OctopusOnFire wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:18 CEST
They only became apparent to me when comparing to other mixes at this final stage, so I couldn't have directed your attention to them before. Like I said, your mix is pretty fine on it's own.

But you do identify them now, correct? The whole point is to gain insight.
I complain at myself for not being aware, no worries. I also noticed after listening to the winners. I'm kinda pissed because the mix was really good, other than that.
Mork
Wild Card x1
Wild Card x1

Post by Mork »

Hi all,

congratulations to the podium and especially everyone who had some fun and accomplished something for him-/herself!

Leo, thanks for letting us play with this awesome tune! I played it in my friend's car (on our way to a huge festival, of course) and he was like "Who's that? Who's that?" the whole time. Also thanks for the detailed feedback! I think it's really valuable to know where you ended up and why. I know exactly how discouraging it is to just see the podium, no further explanations, not even an indication of where your mix happened to end up. That can be very frustrating after putting lots of effort into the mix, so again, it's really cool that you took the time to write all those detailed feedbacks and in my opinion it's well worth the wait.
OctopusOnFire wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 09:49 CEST
I complain at myself for not being aware, no worries. I also noticed after listening to the winners. I'm kinda pissed because the mix was really good, other than that.
That stuff just happens. When I listened again to my Round 1 mix after a while, I was shocked at how harsh it was. I still don't have a formula against that, maybe it's taking more breaks and moving as fast as you can. I think when you arrive at really cranking it and notching out yet another resonance at 245,735 Hz on the HiHat it's time to take a break... :hihi:

My pick would be the Mux

Cheers
Mork
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

Alright, thank you for the license selection, Mork.

Next up in line is Henrik Hjortnaes.
jetwolf

Post by jetwolf »

Mork,

Congratulations on the win, and kudos to the rest of the podium. Nice job!

Kevin