2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

MIX CHALLENGE - MC048 October 2018 - Winners announced

Join the Mix Challenge - recurrence: February until December
yoruhitp

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC048 October 2018 - Mix Round 1 in evaluation

Post by yoruhitp »

Thank you fese.

I am grateful to have your feedback.
I think that mixing was more difficult than previous sessions.
fese wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 20:04 CEST
So here are the mixes that didn't make it to the next round. Thanks for all your work, and I tried to give everyone a little bit of feedback. If you're not in here, it was just plain oversight...
I accept any mixing opportunities.
Mysite: https://www.umasan.org
dobebon

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC048 October 2018 - Mix Round 2 until Mix Round 2 until 31-10-2018 11:59pm GMT+1/CET

Post by dobebon »

Thanks fese for the feedback. I was trying to give the song a bit of a haunting feeling.

Good luck to all that made it through to round 2.
loupi

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC048 October 2018 - Mix Round 2 until Mix Round 2 until 31-10-2018 11:59pm GMT+1/CET

Post by loupi »

hey Fese, thanks for providing the tracks. i did a mix but i did not find any feedback (i did not actually expect a personal feedback but i did kind of get excited thinking i was gonna get one, it would help me out). maybe i'd just love some feedback on why my mix didn't get any feedback to so next time i make sure i don't repeat whatever it is i did wrong... cheers
fese

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC048 October 2018 - Mix Round 1 in evaluation

Post by fese »

I would really like to hear from the participants of round two what they did to the vocals (mine and Susan's), especially EQ-wise, because that is something I really struggled with in my mix (and still do), and you lot did a great job there.
fese

Post by fese »

loupi wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 16:40 CEST
hey Fese, thanks for providing the tracks. i did a mix but i did not find any feedback (i did not actually expect a personal feedback but i did kind of get excited thinking i was gonna get one, it would help me out). maybe i'd just love some feedback on why my mix didn't get any feedback to so next time i make sure i don't repeat whatever it is i did wrong... cheers
First thing I'd suggest for not repeating mistakes is delivering the mix before deadline and naming the file correctly (Your forum name is "loupi" but the file was named "..._VeroonBalsa.wav". :headscratch: Not really helpful when having to organize 50+ files).
The mix itself sounds quite good, but my vocals need EQ work, they're rather boxy and resonances need to be removed. Have a listen at some of the round 2 contestant's mixes!
iMax

Post by iMax »

Thank you for taking the time and provide feedback to all the mixes!
iMax
- nice low end, I like the bass sound
- instrumental mix is good, level and frequency wise, the weak point are the vocals, they sound rather detached from the rest of the sound stage.
- Susans Main Vocals are very muffled, as if singing through a blanket. less hi end cut and maybe a bit cleaning in the lower mids
- I don't think panning the solo guitar and solo accordion is the best solution
- in the intro I hear the compressor working too much on the picked acoustic guitar
I think I can hear what you mean, especially the vocal part of course. I will see if I can improve it for my own benefit. I will also play around with the compression and the panning to see what I can do there.
Franz

Post by Franz »

Go, I open the ball of the second round with this "last waltz" !

hello "fese"

First of all thank you for having selected my participation for the second round and especially for
your analysis and valuable advice. Tips that I find very wise. In this sense I completely redone my mix
taking into account the direction you want it to be given. In the end I really like my new version.
Without going into too much detail, I paid particular attention to the "stereo", ie to "panning".
Concerning voices, I used very few effects and corrections because "to equalize" for example
necessarily comes down to "de-toning" the timbre of the voice. This is not the goal.
I tried to keep the most "natural" sound of this excellent recording, to also keep its musical direction
and ultimately the emotion that must emerge ...

Easier to write than to make ....

and here is the "Last Waltz" that is being played here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/05j147j87em7i ... e.wav?dl=0

Cheers

Franz
loupi

Post by loupi »

fese wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 17:13 CEST
loupi wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 16:40 CEST
First thing I'd suggest for not repeating mistakes is delivering the mix before deadline and naming the file correctly (Your forum name is "loupi" but the file was named "..._VeroonBalsa.wav". :headscratch: Not really helpful when having to organize 50+ files).
The mix itself sounds quite good, but my vocals need EQ work, they're rather boxy and resonances need to be removed. Have a listen at some of the round 2 contestant's mixes!
thanks for giving me your feedback anyway Fese. yes i left myself and the internet-connection in the french mountains too little time to properly enter my mix (i apologize). i thought the vocals were the most challenging part of this mix, and i choose to work around the tone of the male vocal (yours i understand) and accentuate its particularity rather then it cutting away (fe. the mids). have fun with round 2!
GGermaine

Post by GGermaine »

GGermaine
- sorry, really not a fan of the intro and all the other effects
- balance of the male and female vocal is good
- Kick is too dominant, especially in the beginning
- Bass though seems somewhat tame
- Chorus needs more impact, dynamic difference between verses and chorus isn't there
- I don‘t like the automated reverb on the main voc before the final chorus, seems out of place
- Final chorus: vocals too much in the background
Thanks for the feedback. Yeah, I thought there was a risk of you not liking the effects at the intro, etc... I get it.
Overall - I wish I would have sat on it a bit before posting it. I would have changed it quite a bit.
I thought your choices for the top contestants were spot on.
Jerze

Post by Jerze »

Thanks for the opportunity to mix this song and also for taking the time to give feedback to everyone.

AS for the mix,
I tried to hit all the things you pointed out in your mix notes. I struggled to get the female voice to feel like you and she were in the same room still not sure I got it tho. Also, the ending was a trouble spot for me with all the parts taking up the spectrum.

Here is my v2 mix's.I think i figured out how to post sound cloud songs and not have to sign in let me know if it doesn't work

Wav-

MP3-

Hello Fese
AS for the vocals
On yours-I used the Scheps omni channel >TR5 saturator x and then Kramer tape
On hers- REa eq to notch some freq out >Scheps omni channel
Then to vocal buss with TDR nova GE they also have a( free version) if you don’t have it one of my favorite plugins.

If you would like a pic of the setting let me know.
Thanks again!
Jerze