2024-APR-11 Info: Check out our current running games Mix Challenge 097 and Songwriting Competition 080.

MIX CHALLENGE - MC32 May 2017 - Winners announced

Join the Mix Challenge - recurrence: February, April, June, August, October, December
el-bo

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC32 May 2017 - Mix Round 1 in evaluation

Post by el-bo »

davemcisaac wrote:
Sun May 28, 2017 05:52 CEST
el-bo wrote:
Fri May 26, 2017 13:38 CEST
9 - Nonlinear...
My compliments to el-bo for handling this barrage with grace and dignity! :tu:

Also - thanks for the very detailed critiques. That really helps. :grin:
I'd actually have liked to have given more detail, but the process was more difficult than I had imagined. Next time :tu:
el-bo

Post by el-bo »

Small Ocean wrote:
Fri May 26, 2017 14:06 CEST
Hey el-bo, thanks for the feedback!

Regarding the boomy bass, I totally agree - my mix was definitely too loud on the low end. I think what happened is that because of the rules regarding what you can put on the mix bus and not allowing mastering, I avoided the sort of things I would normally always do, such as a mutli band compressor and mastering EQ on the master. As a result, the low and sub bass frequencies on my mix are highly dynamic and can have very loud transients, when they would normally be filtered out and compressed/dynamics controlled at the mastering stage - something that can still be applied to the mix provided of course! :smile:
The mix bus debate is something I guess I'll weigh in on at some point. However, would it not have been possible to have controlled those wandering feequencies at track level?
el-bo

Post by el-bo »

SergioITASCO wrote:
Fri May 26, 2017 18:10 CEST
Thank you for your feedback! :smile:

I got your points and they make sense.

I'll use this little experience to improve my way to approach this genre.

Thanks again.
Thanks for taking the feedback in the spirit intended.

I do need to know if you are taking the WildCard slot...
el-bo

Post by el-bo »

FixInTheMix wrote:
Fri May 26, 2017 22:49 CEST
Thanks for the feedback el-bo! I aprecciate you took the time to make comments on every entry and with enough detail to understand the mistakes.

I must admit I went too much into experimental ground and missed the overall point of this challenge so your critique it´s understandable.
I am really confused to what happened with the brass tracks tho, I must have lowered the fader by accident or something cause they are almost completely gone and I realized after the deadline so there was nothing I could do :(

I hope you submit more tracks in future challenges, it was a lot of fun.
As said, I am open-minded to ideas, if I feel they work. It is a risk that you took, which did work in some areas.

As I mentioned, had we been in the studio together, I'm sure we could have worked some of that input into the end mix in a way that I felt suited better.
el-bo

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC32 May 2017 - Mix Round 2 until 31-05-2017 11:59pm GMT+1/CEST

Post by el-bo »

OctopusOnFire wrote:
Sat May 27, 2017 16:16 CEST
Glad to know you liked my entry el-bo! Thanks for the clear and precise feedback, I really appreciate that :D

Reading your feedback I feel that the mix is almost there and now there are some rough edges that need polishing. This really makes me happy about most of the decisions I made. I'll address the issues you pointed out and hopefully make it even better now that I have fresh ears.

Cheers!
I look forward to hearing what you come up with :tu:
Small Ocean

Post by Small Ocean »

el-bo wrote:
Sun May 28, 2017 08:58 CEST
Small Ocean wrote:

Regarding the boomy bass, I totally agree - my mix was definitely too loud on the low end. I think what happened is that because of the rules regarding what you can put on the mix bus and not allowing mastering, I avoided the sort of things I would normally always do, such as a mutli band compressor and mastering EQ on the master. As a result, the low and sub bass frequencies on my mix are highly dynamic and can have very loud transients, when they would normally be filtered out and compressed/dynamics controlled at the mastering stage - something that can still be applied to the mix provided of course! :smile:
The mix bus debate is something I guess I'll weigh in on at some point. However, would it not have been possible to have controlled those wandering feequencies at track level?
Of course, I suppose I just instinctively want to preserve as much dynamics as possible at the mixing stage, and then leave it up to the mastering engineer to eq and compress (including the bottom end) to taste.
el-bo

Post by el-bo »

Small Ocean wrote:
Sun May 28, 2017 14:16 CEST
el-bo wrote:
Sun May 28, 2017 08:58 CEST
Small Ocean wrote:

Of course, I suppose I just instinctively want to preserve as much dynamics as possible at the mixing stage, and then leave it up to the mastering engineer to eq and compress (including the bottom end) to taste.
Gotcha!
Mork
Wild Card x1
Wild Card x1

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC32 May 2017 - Mix Round 2 until 31-05-2017 11:59pm GMT+1/CEST

Post by Mork »

Here you go!
More organ with extra edge, more glitter on the brass section and a not so abrupt ending of the piano solo. I hope you enjoy it!

MP3: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9f_r5 ... sp=sharing
WAV: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9f_r5 ... sp=sharing

Cheers
Mork
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

A friendly reminder:
Less than 48 hours left to submit your edit for Mix Round 2
erictracks

Post by erictracks »

@el-bo
Clav - Don’t mind the modulation effect, but such an effect benefits from a touch more movement.

In keeping with the live band concept, I tried to avoid any obvious panning effects, but I could see subtle changes over the course of the intro. Is this what you had in mind? Or is this a subjective comment, left up to me to interpret (which is fine, but I'm not quite wrapping my mind around it).

Thanks for you help.

Eric