2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

MIX CHALLENGE - MC050 December 2018 - Winners announced

Join the Mix Challenge - recurrence: February until December
Henrik Hjortnaes

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC050 December 2018 - Mix Round 2 in evaluation

Post by Henrik Hjortnaes »

I'll take the MH TransientControl.

@David / MOA22, thank you! Congrats to you too on a great mix! Your turn to pick a prize.
MOA22 wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 19:18 CET
I will probably do it once again in the future
Please do :phones:
FixInTheMix

Post by FixInTheMix »

Congrats to Henrik and to all of those who made it to the top 3!
And again thank you Gary for the music, it was a real pleasure working on it, I feel like I didn´t do enough on this second round so I´ll be looking forward for your feedback and hopefully learn how to improve on it!
MOA22

Post by MOA22 »

My turn ?
then, was looking for the Restoration Suite from Acon that I found really impressive !
A nice Izotope RX's tools challenger.

Thanx to Mix Challenge for the nice opportunity !!!
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC050 December 2018 - Winners announced

Post by Mister Fox »

First and foremost, congratulations to the winners!

The Winners Podium is
1) Henrik Hjortnaes
2) MOA22
3) ThePresent

We perform with the usual - please select one license out of the pool (in order of the winners podium) and mention it in this thread, then (important) get in touch with me via PM with your full name, mail address and your plugin selection.

I'll update the "winners podium" thread shortly.

Thanks again for your participation. You can leave the thread alive if you want to exchange tips/tricks, edits, etc.
ThePresent

Post by ThePresent »

Thanks Gary for providing the beautiful song and to mr Fox for being the driving force behind this competition.
Congratulations to Henrik Hjortnaes and MOA22, I feel honored to be in top 3 with you guys.

For a prize, I would like to have the Acon Digital Restoriation Suite, too.
But if that’s not possible, I would like to have Tone2 Ultraspace.
OctopusOnFire

Post by OctopusOnFire »

Thanks GGermaine for considering my song for round 2, though I'm a bit sad I couldn't be here for it. It was a pleasure to work with these tracks, which were not lackluster at all for me.

I'm looking forward to reading your thoughts on my mix. Congrats to the winners, see you in the next one!
s&f

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC050 December 2018 - Mix Round 2 until 23-01-2019 11:59pm GMT+1/CET

Post by s&f »

Henrik Hjortnaes wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 21:19 CET
Gary, thanks for the precise and detailed feedback and for providing this challenge. The song is a joy to listen to, no matter what mix. :phones:

wav :tu:
mp3 :td:

Changes:
I made the pads louder and changed their automation completely, to add more atmosphere.
I changed the character of the pads to better fit the now increased level.
I added more spaciousness to the lead guitar by increasing the existing 4 sends I have going.
I changed the compressor on the lead vocal from Slate FG-Stress to EPI Arouser and gained a more "lively" midrange by doing so.
I added a little harmonic grit to the bass guitar to help it on small speakers.
I toned down the high treble on the distorted guitars, just a hair, to have them behave better when listening on headphones. Added a bit of midrange to them also.
I put the new Fuse tube limiter 864U on the mix bus, with zero gain reduction, to hear what it does (box tone), and I liked it and kept it. It seemed to clean up the low end, strengthen the center image and made the mix slightly clearer.
I'm sorry for not being able to reply sooner, though u kindly offered to share the project (but I don't have pro tools). amazing job. really, voodoo. congrats.