2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

MIX CHALLENGE - MC051 February 2019 - Winners announced

Join the Mix Challenge - recurrence: February until December
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC051 February 2019 - Mix Round 2 in evaluation

Post by Mister Fox »

It's the 10th March 2019, 0:30am - the 2nd Mix Round has officially ended.

Sadly not all participants were able to send in their edits. (JonasLasse)
We have no submissions after the deadline.
Please check your upload links again, and have an eye on this thread for the final results.

I'm now opening up the room (again) for Q&A's and giving each other feedback (which is highly encouraged)
The Songwriting Competition 19 is still in full swing. Please spread the word as much as you can.

See you on the flipside.
MOA22

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC051 February 2019 - Mix Round 2 in evaluation

Post by MOA22 »

Hi !

The sorting was very difficult, because each mix had one or more elements that could have made it onto the podium. I'm not even sure of my choice, but after listening to your mixes until I die, I made my decision. Tomorrow, it might be different. Anyway, I'm pretty proud of my top 10 (and many were not far away at all). I waited a few days before listening. Some mixes sounded better for the first round. Some have chosen to persevere on a path, and that is quite understandable.
So, the 3 winners are:
- (1) Mork, for his excellent work (although I must say that I am annoyed by this snare story). Your work is complete in line with my personal taste Mork, a big bravo!
- (2) Drumwizard, who optimized his mix in the second round and made it the most homogeneous work of the competition. You didn't rank so high in the first round! I congratulate you.
- (3) Octopus in fire. His mix has some flaws, but it strangely expresses a unique personality, I was amazed by his sense of texture. However, I would have loved it to have a rounder mix, with a bottom that makes my butt feel a little more vibrant. Octopus, I got caught by your tentacles!

Octopus in Fire : Slight improvement, yes a little bit smoother (especialy the bass) but I wish I had more bottom in the end, that was not clearly in my review (sorry for that). But I’d like to congratulate you for the unique approach overall, that has more texture than many mixes here. I just needed a little more low/sub !

(the mixes are not ranked !)
Jonas Lasse : no revision ! BTW you did an awesome work !

Mork : impressive mix ! You got rid of the weird sub generator, nice, but now, I am missing something, and the snare cuts a slightly bit more now (too much), the toms are now far better. You did an amazing job !

Dobedon : major improvement ! Nice vocals ! The gtrs are more aggressive now,good ! The chorus entry is really punchy ! Just take care of the right guitar level (a bit quiet). It was more new mix ! But it sounds good, even if it is a bit on the harsh side now. Bravo !!! (the nicest hihat’s groove of the competition!!!!)

Emil Biscan : the solo is better now. the verb is bit nicer too. Some extra presence. Still missing a more « roomy » vibe. And I didn’t notice the very loud kick sub, a tiny bit too much. But you did a good work, rrreally !!

Photonic : The mid freq issue is almost solved. The bass is more in the mix now (was too loud). But I was looking for more sub ! The mix was alreay really solid BTW. Thank you a lot !!

Drumwizard : vocals fit now better in the mix. The kick is punchier ! Generally the mix has more power. The bus comp is pretty hot BTW, so feels is has a bit too much verb. Really good mix !!!

Koki21 : the drums have more impact now, really good (loved the snare’s tone). But i needed more presence on the guitars, and they are darker in the second mix ! And the vocals are lost during the choruses (what happened ?) BTW congrats for the huge and nice work KOKI !!!

Youruhitp : the gtrs were gentle, they are now very angry (a bit to much !!!) . The ending is very very very dirty… but I pretty liked it. The lack of mid that I was complaining about is still there… I really loved the first mix. My review was not enough precise (sorry). By listening one more time the second mix, I love it more and more… Congratulations !

Fix in the mix : Still missing some clarity ! But you did some improvement ! extra sub is good ! The dry character is really interesting ! One of my favourite balance ! Thank you F I T M !

Thank you to every contestants for the hours mixing !!!

Don't forget to provide your songs to Roland/M Fox and become the client, it's a unique experience that makes you grow, whitens your teeth and makes you sexier
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC051 February 2019 - Winners announced

Post by Mister Fox »

First and foremost, congratulations to the winners!

The Winners Podium is
1) Mork
2) Drumwizard
3) OctopusOnFire

We perform with the usual - please select one license out of the pool (in order of the winners podium) and mention it in this thread, then (important) get in touch with me via PM with your full name, mail address and your plugin selection.

I'll update the "winners podium" thread shortly.

Thanks again for your participation. You can leave the thread alive if you want to exchange tips/tricks, edits, etc.
OctopusOnFire

Post by OctopusOnFire »

My first podium! :hyper:
Thanks for providing the material and choosing my mix. I didn't want to go too far with the adjustments, especially regarding the low end, which can be a little treacherous. I'll see how much more i can push it now that I don't have any pressure.
I'll also take a listen to the other R2 mixes to see if i can understand what you mean about mine having a lot of texture and being unique in that way. I didn't use references this time so maybe that played a part.

Anyway, congrats to Mork and Drumwizard for the podium, and to everyone else for their effort.

EDIT

I think I got your comment about the texture, David. I just try to take the speakers out of the picture as much as I can and try to make it feel as "real" as possible. Not that I achieve it most of the time, but I try :shrug: . In that sense, I can see the difference between my mix and all the others from 2nd round, but it is naturally biased since that is the way I feel the band would sound (not necessarily "live", but in the context I picture for it in the mix. It doesn't have to be natural, the sky is the limit).

Anyway, I injected some juice into that low end (phrasing) and beefed it up (phrasing :lol: ) with no sense of moderation, just for fun. Nah, I actually tried to keep it listener-friendly. :phones:
I didn't go into the mix, just tried out some plugins on the wav file itself, since the mix was pretty okay but for the low end thing.

First, the subfilter

Then a multiband comp

Some general EQ:

Mid

Side

And some stuff from airwindows:
Distance adds density, then a high pass filter and some sort of limiter that adds weight to the transients, somehow :headscratch:

And then a limiter to catch the peaks and some measuring.

Here it is, I hope you guys enjoy listening, even if this is the 100th time already :whiteflag:

https://soundcloud.com/user-86312367/mc ... 01/s-nMNwm
Mork
Wild Card x1
Wild Card x1

Post by Mork »

Hey guys,

first of all congratulations to Drumwizard and OctopusOnFire (who is clearly stoked, great to see you on the podium :tu:)!

Thanks again David, for all the effort and incredibly fast decision making! And of course once again for the great piece of music! I like this song so much, I am absolutely willing to sort out the snare thing, if you are still interested after listening to this tune one gazillion times :hihi:

I pick Hornet Tape.

Cheers
Mork

P.S.: Also thanks again for the new deadline! I wouldn't have been able to upload anything on Friday.
Drumwizard

Post by Drumwizard »

Hi everyone,
Thank you David! Congratulations to Mork and OctopusOnFire!
I'll take MH HaloVerb.
OctopusOnFire

Post by OctopusOnFire »

So I'll choose the MH TransientControl, then.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

Sorry, but Metric Halo has been taken already
OctopusOnFire

Post by OctopusOnFire »

I see, I'll take Acon Verberate instead if that's possible.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

That's possible - drop me a PM with the selection, your full name and (current) email address, and I'll sort things out