2024-APR-11 Info: Check out our current running games Mix Challenge 097 and Songwriting Competition 080.

MIX CHALLENGE - MC052 March 2019 - Winners announced

Join the Mix Challenge - recurrence: February, April, June, August, October, December
3ee

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC052 March 2019 - Submissions until 21-03-2019 11:59pm GMT+1/CET

Post by 3ee »

3ee wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 19:52 CET
Cool song for this month, started work on my mix today. :)

"No rearrangement or pitch shifting of the song structure, with the exception of the following add-on rules"

I need to re-pitch the kick drum about 1 semi-tone, is that permitted? Reason being it really sounds bad when saturation/dist is added cause it's not in tune with the song..
bump! (this possibly went by unnoticed)

I guess it's ok in my case but it might not be so please someone confirm!? Am I allowed to re-pitch the kick about 1 semi-tone for technical reasons? :)
Studio Saturn

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC052 March 2019 - Submissions until 21-03-2019 11:59pm GMT+1/CET

Post by Studio Saturn »

gambler wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 21:04 CET
Hi Mister Fox,
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We're looking for new source material for future competitions. Please follow our official campaign. Your only investment is time in turn for a free mix by our very talented participants. No new tracks mean no more challenges! Please reach out!
Social Media accounts can be found via the handles @MixChallenge (Twitter) and MixChallenge (Facebook). Please spread the word!
if you like what the Mix Challenge (community) has been doing in recent months, please consider supporting us.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think you now about this multitrack sources: https://www.telefunken-elektroakustik.com and http://www.cambridge-mt.com/ms-mtk.htm
Why can we not use them?

gambler
who is going to judge Telefunken? I'm with you to be frank about it. If TELEFUNKEN is going to judge ok.
ManuC

Post by ManuC »

Hello to all,

There is my entry
Wave : https://www.dropbox.com/s/7eg9svnjhzbn0 ... C.wav?dl=0

Mp3 : https://www.dropbox.com/s/9pbcruwmt6nqk ... C.mp3?dl=0

2 screenshots of my Logic pro session:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/cyw8xilkvzfbj ... 1.png?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/76u132ara6xbo ... 8.png?dl=0

Some Eq for all tracks, Some dynamics for some tracks, nothing revolutionary.

Good luck to all and thanks to Olly Audio and Mix challenge team.

Musical greetings
Olli H

Post by Olli H »

3ee wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 17:03 CET
3ee wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 19:52 CET
Cool song for this month, started work on my mix today. :)

"No rearrangement or pitch shifting of the song structure, with the exception of the following add-on rules"

I need to re-pitch the kick drum about 1 semi-tone, is that permitted? Reason being it really sounds bad when saturation/dist is added cause it's not in tune with the song..
bump! (this possibly went by unnoticed)

I guess it's ok in my case but it might not be so please someone confirm!? Am I allowed to re-pitch the kick about 1 semi-tone for technical reasons? :)
Are we allowed to use Melodyne for pitchy vox? I guess yes, as long as we are just correcting mistakes and not making new harmonies etc. So why not the same with guitars, basses and ... kick drum. At least I'm going to use it, so you won't be alone disqualified.
Franz

Post by Franz »

Hi OLLY Studio and everyone,

Yes, as said in the presentation of the title, we are in a field rather experimental and I understood
that the main work was on the structure and the quality of the sounds proposed to mix.
So I oriented my mix in this direction and of course not adding samples. The only disturbing point for me
is the dissonance of some instruments at specific times so that we can not use all the tracks at the same time.
I must say that the mix of origin has a rather special color, in clear rather robotic than musical.
I chose the "musical" option to make my mix. I try to avoid maximun these dissonance and make it a pleasant mix
musically while keeping the sounds characteristics of the different tracks and I used the “alternative tracks”,
particularly interesting.
For the technique, I used Reaper and Samplitude Pro; very little equalization or compression,
the basic sounds are of very good quality and I do not see why we deformed them with an excess of plugin.
A precision, I used a special function of the vocoder of Samplitude Pro on the track "Athmo texture" in mix 50% direct 50% effect

So, it remains only to listen to my mix here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/qn4yskvqrh6g7 ... v.wav?dl=0

Cheers

Franz
Atmuse

Post by Atmuse »

screenshotsHi guys

First of all great track to work with. Thanks olly audio for the opportunity.

This is what I made of it just on time :hyper:

screenshots

one of the screenschot's is a foto of where I open all the plugins I used on the kick. If you want more channels showen just ask. The only reason there not all in there is because of my lack of time. sorry

I used almost only Fl studio standerd plugins like the multiband EQ, Fruity compressor, Fruity panOmatic, Fruity reverb, Fruity delay 2, Fruity blood overdrive, Fruity balance and the Fruity limiter(but only to use the sidechain function). I also used a DC8C3 compressor, HY-TP2, camelcrusher and a ambient reverb.

Hope everting works out is a hoped, it's my first post on this forum.

greatzzzz
Marc Rapture

Post by Marc Rapture »

Greetings Olly Audio and the Mix Challenge Community!

Here is my take on this very challenging mix. I worked on this mix using Ableton Live. I did the basic pan and balance, some heavy EQ'ing and compression on most of the tracks, lots of volume automation, and added some standard effects such as reverb, delay, and chorus. I put nothing on the master bus and left enough head room for the mastering engineer (I hope.)

Any who. I hope you enjoy my mix Olly and fellow mix challenge brothers and sisters.

Cheers!

SCREEN SHOTS: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/wq56v7bxno8d ... 82e_a?dl=0

WAV FILE: https://www.dropbox.com/s/o820nb7on0j7p ... e.wav?dl=0
take_01.wav

Post by take_01.wav »

Hi all -

It took me some time to find the direction here. I like the palette of sounds. I've increased the intensity and aggressiveness of some of the instruments to drive the song in the way I heard it.

I've used distortion, wah, verbs and delays, compression, and plenty of automation. Editing was kept to a minimum, using only the takes supplied in the top-level folder.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1XjlBYa ... p=drivesdk

Thanks for listening!
take_01.wav

Post by take_01.wav »

Atmuse wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 00:05 CET
screenshotsHi guys

First of all great track to work with. Thanks olly audio for the opportunity.

This is what I made of it just on time :hyper:

screenshots

one of the screenschot's is a foto of where I open all the plugins I used on the kick. If you want more channels showen just ask. The only reason there not all in there is because of my lack of time. sorry

I used almost only Fl studio standerd plugins like the multiband EQ, Fruity compressor, Fruity panOmatic, Fruity reverb, Fruity delay 2, Fruity blood overdrive, Fruity balance and the Fruity limiter(but only to use the sidechain function). I also used a DC8C3 compressor, HY-TP2, camelcrusher and a ambient reverb.

Hope everting works out is a hoped, it's my first post on this forum.

greatzzzz
Love your kick sound! :tu:
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

A friendly reminder:
We're in the last 24 hours of submitting your edit.

Also - a friendly reminder on the Rules and Guidelines:

[moderate="Mister Fox"]
Please take note of the following
  • IMPORTANT: It is mandatory to provide WAV files, files need to be accessible/downloadable, try to work within suitable work levels (the focus of this game is "mixing", not mixing and finalizing), document your edits (ideally with screenshots), name the files properly to distinguish your edit from all others.
    IMPORTANT: please use the following naming convention:
    • MC000_ArtistName_TrackName_ContestanttName.wav
    • MC000_ArtistName_TrackName_ContestanttName_R2.wav for those that go into Mix Round 2
  • please only upload to cloud storage spaces from now on (DropBox, GoogleDrive, etc). Please consult the official "Rules and Gudelines" regarding Upload and Submission Guidelines
  • It is highly encouraged to give feedback to each other, to share tips and tricks. Ideally, this should happen after Mix Round 1 has ended, to not influence each other during the main competition round
[/moderate]

To all participants, especially the new ones:
For the Mix(ing) Challenge, please do not upload to SoundCloud anymore (part of the rules since MC050). Not only does SoundCloud affect the sound quality of the material you upload, most of the time it also lacks proper credits and implies that you created the production instead of the song provider. This has no affect on the Songwriting Competition, as the rule set is different.

Please get acquainted with the Rules and Guidelines again. :educate: