2024-APR-11 Info: Check out our current running games Mix Challenge 097 and Songwriting Competition 080.

MIX CHALLENGE - MC055 June 2019 - Winners announced

Join the Mix Challenge - recurrence: February, April, June, August, October, December
EatMe

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC055 June 2019 - Mix Round 1 in evaluation

Post by EatMe »

Snarowitz wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 05:11 CEST
If the peak of one track aligns with the valley of the other just give one a nudge, or use a phase alignment tool (I think sound radix makes a pretty good one, but I have not used it).
That first method sounds like a lot of tedious (retry) work, especially on more than one track. I would have not finished that by now for all the tracks, to see to it that their timing was proper to the phase level. The sound radix plugin costs $149 which is a bit much to invest, and I have no idea what that would do for different tracks on different frequency regions.
Snarowitz

Post by Snarowitz »

EatMe wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 02:00 CEST
That first method sounds like a lot of tedious (retry) work, especially on more than one track. I would have not finished that by now for all the tracks, to see to it that their timing was proper to the phase level. The sound radix plugin costs $149 which is a bit much to invest, and I have no idea what that would do for different tracks on different frequency regions.
It's not that tedious really, once you get into it you can run through the tracks pretty quick. They don't have to be perfectly aligned, in fact it's usually best for most genres that they are not. You just don't want too much cancellation, to my ears it sounds like you have quite a bit. I can tell you that for this mix, the tracks were aligned just fine, as long as you lined up the beginnings as I assume you did. Thats why I'm thinking the issue is from your usage of EQ. Always in moderation... Which is advice I will take on my low freq if I get into the second round.

Best,

Steve
White Punk OD

Post by White Punk OD »

@EatMe
I am very sorry, if my suggestion to reference in a car rubs you the wrong way, but e.g. Warren Huart mentions the importance of the car test at least monthly in his frequent speeches, he is a respected Youtube and academy teacher with top-notch guests, and it is commonsense among the professional mixing engineers, at least the older ones. everyone and his uncle mentioned it.

So, I am of course aware that many others don't have or use this possibility, but this does not make it a bad thing to mention it.
They will have to make up with other techniques, to be competitive.

In your mix, from 0:24.270 to 0:24.950 (in the mp3, which plays ~50ms later than the wav/24), where there is only vocals and hihat, I detected a strong LF ocurrence around 40Hz. I would like to point out that this is unusual, and while working on my version of this song, I found all kinds of such stuff in the raw vocal tracks.
I happen to know, that car speakers are not reacting well on that type of sound, and this kind of music is sure being played by radio stations popular among people who drive on highways and between towns. Germany is a car country, except a few inner cities.

Similar things happened in a few mixes by other contributors. If someone did it by design, so be it, but it can be debated for the sake of the craft.

Another hint, there is limiting and soft clipping almost at 0dB, which happens at recurring drum hits. I'd expect a mastering engineer to ask about this.

We need to be rigorous in pointing out interesting or potentially disturbing elements, still the decision (keep/drop) is the right of the client.

It is not about us. It is only about satisfying an audience, wherever they be.
I may be wrong because I am human, but I am telling things with good intent.
So even when we technically disagree, please do not take it personally, but enjoy much respect for all your contributions.
White Punk OD

Post by White Punk OD »

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1iWTDM ... 0g4p65QzQ0 disclaimer: this is a screen shot of a later, private revision.
another entertaining hint about the bg voc tracks:
light blue - sings higher notes.
dark blue - sings lower notes.
I did not yet clean up this in my first round. The cuts are prepared for easy balance adjustments of the different voices.
Jerze

Post by Jerze »

Sorry just seen your posts.

Hey,@ Eatme that doesn’t sound right How ‘Me for short? Lol
Just wanted to say thanks for the hard work you are doing. Also will catch up on a listen and some thoughts on a mix if not this one next mix challenge as you have a lot of comments all ready. But if you would like some thoughts on this one I can do that too.
Thanks again :tu:
Jerze

Hey,@White punk OD thanks for the listen.I think it came out alright also not sure if it will make it to the 2nd round but well see.

for the sample question

that would be :td: on the sample use. I followed the rules though I might not agree with them but this is the sites Rules/ world and I’m just in it. I’m not a big sample person I try and use what I have which this site has taught me.

for “stereotypic poof and clickiness that I would not crave for”

I’m okay with that. I’m still working my way through my drum processing. We all have different visions and sounds we are working on. The biggest thing is that the sounds fit together. But, at this point for me it’s also about listening to other mixers whether here or other sites and listen to how they approached their mix. Hopefully the reading a sound tone for a song can come after I have a good handle on the tone processing part.
As for more organic, Ya maybe, but then I might have changed my thoughts on the bass then guitars etc… the vocals where for me saying something a little more aggressive (first line in the Pre chorus and chorus). I have heard some very good mixes with a more organic sound but then their other sounds where different though. Food for thought though!

I’ll listen to your mix this weekend and give some thoughts along with some other ones.

Thanks again for your time!
Jerze
Snarowitz

Post by Snarowitz »

White Punk OD wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 03:16 CEST

In your mix, from 0:24.270 to 0:24.950 (in the mp3, which plays ~50ms later than the wav/24), where there is only vocals and hihat, I detected a strong LF ocurrence around 40Hz. I would like to point out that this is unusual, and while working on my version of this song, I found all kinds of such stuff in the raw vocal tracks.
I actually like that low noise rumbling up before the bridge/pre chorus. Thought it provided some dramatic build up. In fact, I thought about isolating it, so I could add it in the next verse.
White Punk OD

Post by White Punk OD »

Snarowitz wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 15:25 CEST
I actually like that low noise rumbling up before the bridge/pre chorus. Thought it provided some dramatic build up. In fact, I thought about isolating it, so I could add it in the next verse.
I see, yes, when we can control it and make it part of the performance, it might be winning.
However, it is a typical element to cause controversy, YMMV and some will love it, some will hate it, so it is interesting to talk about it, and yours is a good idea, too!
Furthermore, I am always thinking about the typical A&R, who will consider whether such an element can fit in his box of streamlined cookies. Or will he go anticyclic this time, and promote another roundtrip of an "alternative" sound?
White Punk OD

Post by White Punk OD »

Hello Jerze,
so you could achieve that without samples, then good job, big respect!
I always love to discuss technical options, and alternative ways to look at a song and mix and its details, and a very simple but metaphoric way to express an optional perception or feeling may sting a little bit initially, but in the end anything is legit when the resulting piece of art satisfies the artist and the audiences.
Jerze wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 08:04 CEST
Hey,@White punk OD thanks for the listen.I think it came out alright also not sure if it will make it to the 2nd round but well see.

for the sample question

that would be :td: on the sample use. I followed the rules though I might not agree with them but this is the sites Rules/ world and I’m just in it. I’m not a big sample person I try and use what I have which this site has taught me.
As for more organic, Ya maybe, but then I might have changed my thoughts on the bass then guitars etc… the vocals where for me saying something a little more aggressive (first line in the Pre chorus and chorus). I have heard some very good mixes with a more organic sound but then their other sounds where different though. Food for thought though!

I’ll listen to your mix this weekend and give some thoughts along with some other ones.

Thanks again for your time!
Jerze
EchoOread

Post by EchoOread »

Thanks for the listen, Eatme. I appreciate the gesture. A second pair of ears is always a good reinforcement for mixers like us, especially the comments are fair and honest. So to return a favor (wouldn't be too cool if I did not :)), I took a listen to your mix. Here is what I think (warning: this is not my preferred way to make friends). Hope you don't mind.

The first thing I notice is the stereo spectrum. Yours is quite narrow, especially the guitars. A few mixes ago I had the same problem, even though I panned them all the way to the opposite and still they were not wide enough. After a few youtube videos and a bunch of articles, not to mention many "loveless" nights with my GF, I later found out that the key is in the EQ. Your guitars sound are too much the same; they become 2 big mono instead. And they are buried under the vocal and the snare once they both come in.

The second thing I notice is a lack of bottom end. A closer listen reveals that the kick is a little thin, more smack than oomph, and the bass has no sustain. Could this be the reason? Too long of release time if a compressor is used or a little too aggressive on the HP, I suspect. So yeah, I hear the kick and the bass, but they have no power, no sustained bottom end.

The third thing I notice is when the snare+the kick+2 guitars+vocal+BV come together (mostly in downbeats), the snare loses its meat, the guitars are masked by the vocal (bet 2k-3.4k perhaps) and becomes quieter, and the BV is a little too loud relative to the lead vocal. I had the same problem. So away I ran to the internet and learned this: I cut a little at 150Hz-250Hz from the guitars and the vocal to leave room for the snare; shaved a little bet 2K-3.5k on the bass + the kick + guitars to leave room for the vocal and the top end of the snare. HP the snare up to 95Hz to get out of the kick and the bass's ways. I find that by EQing them that way (more cuts than boosts) my mix sounds clearer, not necessarily better, just clearer. And less masking.

Those are the 3 things that I notice that, imho, stuck out as negative. I cannot comment on the tones you chose for your instruments because they are subjective and totally depend on tastes, therefore, I respect your choice. No need to go there :). But if I am allowed to put in a request, then I will have to beg you for a little sugar on the mix. It is rather on the drier side. But that is ONLY my opinion :). Cheers!
EatMe

Post by EatMe »

I am retreating from this mixing competition. I can not join mix round 2. Sorry. The project files are gone, for the 4th time in a year I have nothing and no physical backups left. Great to have joined and to be part of a learning process. I can comment here about it, it's a sourcing swindle. I will still be looking here once in a while to find out who wins. If you want to make some of my music prevail, I have a torrent of my project files, and deadmau5 already used 3 of my tunes, I live below poverty standards and am denied access to funds. Good <beep>. Use the recipe for removal of your wildgrowth from my invention (you may get stoned of it) you may just want to check your can of sisi for the recipe has been updated.