2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

MIX CHALLENGE - MC056 July 2019 - Winners announced

Join the Mix Challenge - recurrence: February until December
Chriswilson83

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC056 July 2019 - Mix Round 2 until 29-07-2019 11:59pm GMT+2/CEST

Post by Chriswilson83 »

soetZA wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:53 CEST
Hi Chris thanks for the feedback, firstly we seem to disagree on the kick, I like that sort of kick sound on my rock music as for it being to loud that's
a easy fix. But I could change the sound too. I also definitely could fix summing to mono. The bass is not only in the sub frequency it was deliberately pulled back in the mix but also an easy fix if one was to want it more present. The guitars have FX on them but not delay I do not believe delayed
guitars were needed. Could add chorus? Listening to the mix again I needed to remove more mud, that's why summing to mono gets washed out.
There was no limiting just a small amount of transients that peak higher than the rest probably the kick in this case. I've heard a lot of mixes
and seen you commenting on mixes adding instruments to the song, this is mixing not production, if you were to release those mixes as a
final to your song these engineers would have to get be credited as producers and would also have to be compensated through royalties
if you were to release the track. Anyway it was fun mixing the track. Cheers
I like my rock kicks too, but I think have to agree to disagree here as I don't think the song needs that sort of pumping, driving beater sound here.

I think there's only 2 entries that added whole new parts, both disqualified as that wasn't the challenge. Some have reused a few parts in the song elsewhere which isn't the same as composing a new part. Please don't add chorus to guitars, I would imagine sone people will have noticed reading my comments how much I really don't like chorus used in sweeping amounts...

A lot of people keep seeming to think that it's my track and it's for release! It's not; I recorded this in May 2018 for their album and the band couldn't agree on the song as it's not normally played acoustically. We recorded it again October 2018 as they normally play it (faster, angrier, grittier basically, you can find it on Spotify if you were interested) and that version went on the album so I never went too far into working on it, hence the timing issues that still stood in the track.

If the band decide to use something that's down to them and the participant to agree on, nothing to do with either of us.
kirurg

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC056 July 2019 - Mix Round 2 until 29-07-2019 11:59pm GMT+2/CEST

Post by kirurg »

Hi Chris,
Thank you for the feedback and reviews.
Good luck to the participants in 2-nd round.
TomImmon

Post by TomImmon »

@kirurg:
I really liked your mix. Everything was right for my taste, especially snare and guitar sound complemented each other very well. Over the time, I listened to all the mixes and yours was my personal favorite. Too bad that it did not work with the second round.
vintage

Post by vintage »

Hello,
I am currently on vacation, 1000 km from my studio ... Here is my proposal R2, I did some editing eq on the master with my laptop ...

WAV: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-ZI4hF ... p=drivesdk

MP3: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-TBkTc ... p=drivesdk
canese

Post by canese »

vintage wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 16:01 CEST
Hello,
I am currently on vacation, 1000 km from my studio ... Here is my proposal R2, I did some editing eq on the master with my laptop ...

WAV: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-ZI4hF ... p=drivesdk

MP3: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-TBkTc ... p=drivesdk
It's not shared for everybody. Can you post a public link? or is it only for the client?
vintage

Post by vintage »

Yes sorry, must it be good now?
soetZA

Post by soetZA »

Chriswilson83 wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 13:38 CEST
soetZA wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:53 CEST
Hi Chris thanks for the feedback, firstly we seem to disagree on the kick, I like that sort of kick sound on my rock music as for it being to loud that's
a easy fix. But I could change the sound too. I also definitely could fix summing to mono. The bass is not only in the sub frequency it was deliberately pulled back in the mix but also an easy fix if one was to want it more present. The guitars have FX on them but not delay I do not believe delayed
guitars were needed. Could add chorus? Listening to the mix again I needed to remove more mud, that's why summing to mono gets washed out.
There was no limiting just a small amount of transients that peak higher than the rest probably the kick in this case. I've heard a lot of mixes
and seen you commenting on mixes adding instruments to the song, this is mixing not production, if you were to release those mixes as a
final to your song these engineers would have to get be credited as producers and would also have to be compensated through royalties
if you were to release the track. Anyway it was fun mixing the track. Cheers
I like my rock kicks too, but I think have to agree to disagree here as I don't think the song needs that sort of pumping, driving beater sound here.

I think there's only 2 entries that added whole new parts, both disqualified as that wasn't the challenge. Some have reused a few parts in the song elsewhere which isn't the same as composing a new part. Please don't add chorus to guitars, I would imagine sone people will have noticed reading my comments how much I really don't like chorus used in sweeping amounts...

A lot of people keep seeming to think that it's my track and it's for release! It's not; I recorded this in May 2018 for their album and the band couldn't agree on the song as it's not normally played acoustically. We recorded it again October 2018 as they normally play it (faster, angrier, grittier basically, you can find it on Spotify if you were interested) and that version went on the album so I never went too far into working on it, hence the timing issues that still stood in the track.

If the band decide to use something that's down to them and the participant to agree on, nothing to do with either of us.
That's fine, was just curious about that, and about the kick, it is the bands vision and from that point I will concede that if it's not the kick you were looking for no worries. I would like to thank you for the critique though and it was a pleasure to submit a mix. Your points will help me improve my future mixes and are appreciated. The challenge was a pleasure. And good luck to the top 10!
kirurg

Post by kirurg »

@TomImmon
Thanks for feedback!
JamesMusic

Post by JamesMusic »

Hi Chris,

Here's my Round 2 submission.

24bit 48kHz WAV - https://www.dropbox.com/s/mhmjo9p62axzw ... 2.wav?dl=0

320kbps MP3 - https://www.dropbox.com/s/1wcyftddbkbx9 ... 2.mp3?dl=0

Revisions notes:
1. Increased overall level approx 3dB
2. To retain good headroom I have reduced some of the peaks using a touch of compression/limiting on a few of the tracks
3. Reworked the acoustic guitars to ensure mono compatibility
4. Reduced the volume and decay of the vocal reverbs, also removed some of the reverb frequencies with EQ to make it less dominating.
5. Added some low end as with some time away from the mix I felt it needed a touch more bass

Any other changes, let me know. Can't wait to hear everyone elses Round 2 mixes!

Cheers,
James
gloukin

Post by gloukin »

Hi Chris, thank you again for the track and the opportunity.

Please see below enhanced production notes as requested:

Kick - DeBleeder -> SSL E Channel -> Drum Buss
Kick Sample - SSL E Channel -> Drum Buss
Snare Top - DeBleeder -> SSL E Channel -> Drum Buss
Snare Bottom - SSL E Channel -> Drum Buss
Overheads - SSL E Channel -> API 2500 with Snare Top Side-chained-> Drum Buss
Tambourine - SSL E Channel -> Drum Buss

Drum Buss - H-EQ (40Hz HP) -> H-Comp (60% wet) -> Softube Saturation Knob -> ClipShifter -> NLS Channel -> Master Buss

Both Bass Tracks -> Bass Buss
Bass Buss - Bass Rider -> CLA-76 -> SSL E Channel -> NLS Channel -> Master Buss

Both guitar Intro tracks -> Guitars Buss
Guitar 1 and Guitar 2 (All tracks used) ->VEQ4 -> VComp -> Guitars Buss
Guitars Buss - NLS Channel -> Master Buss

Piano - Vocal Rider ->SSL E Channel -> Softube Saturation Knob -> Keys Buss
Keys Buss - NLS Channel -> Master Buss

Lead Vox -> Lead Vox Buss
Lead Vox Buss - Vocal Rider -> CLA-76 -> SSL E Channel -> H-Comp (30% wet)-> NLS Channel -> Master Buss

Backing Vox -> Backing Vox Buss
Backing Vox Bus - CLA-76 -> SSL E Channel -> NLS Channel -> Master Busss

Master Buss - NLS Buss -> TDR Nova (HP-30Hz; LP-18k) -> SSL G Comp -> WLM Plus for metering

I used NLS in Spike mode with all defaults.

FX:
Waves Space designer
Waves RVerb
H-Delay

For round 2, I have reduced snare and drum reverb slightly as requested as well as tried to address the overheads phasing issue.
Tried to make the mix a bit more clearer by EQing the drum reverb.
I also reduced loudness to -18LUFS long term and head room to -3.7 true peak.

Here are the tracks, good luck everyone:

Wav 24bit/48Khz: https://www.dropbox.com/s/3ic8dsxusfz50 ... 2.wav?dl=0
MP3: https://www.dropbox.com/s/po475k4y5vczq ... 2.mp3?dl=0

George