2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

MIX CHALLENGE - MC063 March 2020 - Winners announced

Join the Mix Challenge - recurrence: February until December
Franz

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC063 March 2020 - Mix Round 2 until 30-03-2020 11:59pm GMT+2/CEST

Post by Franz »

at CeZar,

Two important things to keep in mind:

- how can we talk about sharing or learning if all the participants have not received feedback from you ?

-I don't understand that we can present a title to mix while there are tracks presenting serious problems:
for example the bass track, some notes of which sound wrong.

Listen to the two extracts and tell me what you hear:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ylupil40igw0s ... 1.wav?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4pky22zdk2umy ... 2.wav?dl=0

Cheers

Franz
CeZar

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC063 March 2020 - Mix Round 2 until 30-03-2020 11:59pm GMT+2/CEST

Post by CeZar »

Franz wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 18:37 CET
at CeZar,

Two important things to keep in mind:

- how can we talk about sharing or learning if all the participants have not received feedback from you ?

-I don't understand that we can present a title to mix while there are tracks presenting serious problems:
for example the bass track, some notes of which sound wrong.

Listen to the two extracts and tell me what you hear:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ylupil40igw0s ... 1.wav?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4pky22zdk2umy ... 2.wav?dl=0

Cheers

Franz
I'm sorry man, how exactly do you expect me to give 100 feedbacks? How willing will you be to listen to a song you've written 100 times from start to end?
I've stated clearly what the main mistakes were a few posts back. Yes, the bass might have a few notes that are not exactly on pitch, but I didn't take that into account when evaluating mixes, but if you are a an engineer and if it really bothers you, you learn how to pitch correct that stuff using the right tools. Today I've quantized a full drum set. corrected a bass and quantized it by hand, quantized a guitar by hand, all for one song of a client of mine. If you really found it was a problem you could have done one of 2 things: A: Correct the problem; B: Ask me what the deal is with that and if it would be taken into account, and you would have gotten the same answer.

PS: there were people that asked me via PM to give them some feedback and I did, but put yourself in my shoes regarding the time that it takes to write 100 feedback notes, and what carefully listening to all those mixes does to my ears.

Hope I've answered your questions,
CeZar
Last edited by CeZar on Sat Mar 28, 2020 02:20 CET, edited 3 times in total.
CeZar

Post by CeZar »

Alex Van mixland wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 23:20 CET
Hey CeZar,
I'm glad that you liked my mix. :hyper:
Kick drum: when I read your feedback I immediately understood what you heard, because about 3 days after uploading my mix , i listened my mix through airpods and noticed that especially in the chorus i could not hear the kick drum and i corrected it but i was not able to upload new mix.
Snare drum: I noticed that some hits on snare were too loud and i also corrected it.

My question is: can you give me a bit more information about snare drum - it has too much low foundation or snare has some mid frequencies that need to be cut? I already did some changes but before uploading my mix i want to be sure that i did right moves.

Thank you for the feedback.

Cheers,
Alex
Hi man, sorry for the late reply.
Yes, the snare had parts where it was fine, parts where it was too far back. The snare tone wasn't such a big problem, as long as it fits well in the mix, remember to always check you volumes in mono, the snare should usually be the second after vocals in terms of loudness, and it needs to stay that way throughout the song, at least for this genre. (Vox->Snare->Kick->Bass->Gtrs)

Good luck for R2,
CeZar
Franz

Post by Franz »

Cezar,

Thanks for your return.

I did not quite understand the meaning of your last paragraph. Could you briefly rephrase with other words?

Cheers

Franz
CeZar

Post by CeZar »

Franz wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 21:13 CET
Cezar,

Thanks for your return.

I did not quite understand the meaning of your last paragraph. Could you briefly rephrase with other words?

Cheers

Franz
Wait, I've accidentally reposted when trying to rephrase that one. Need to delete them

PS: I've rephrased it! Sorry for that, I was in a bit of a hurry.
RJR

Post by RJR »

Hi all,

CeZar, thanks for your feedback. This is my 2nd round mix, hope you like it!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2r5t25w1rxj0o ... 2.wav?dl=0

-I cleaned up the lower mids of the vocals and added a little bit of 5K presence. In my first mix, much of the low's that was heard in the first verse actually originated from the acoustic guitar.
-I high passed the acoustic guitar to reduce the lows.
-Also better controlled the delays on the vocals. I added an extra spot effect in the verse.
-The drum room level was slightly lowered.
-Overall I polished everything and finetuned the level automations.

Cheers!
RJ
Alex Van mixland

Post by Alex Van mixland »

Hi,
My submission for R2:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ZkvTL ... tqK4DSLmkI

- I added a little bit attack to kick by transient control and also i added a little bit high end(With Automation - less highs in intro and in verse 1 db less)
- I controled snare volume around 2 db(especially at high mids for more stability)

Cheers
Alex
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

A friendly reminder:
We're in the final 24 hours to submit your edit for Mix Round 2.
3ee

Post by 3ee »

Round 2 mix: https://app.box.com/s/njp6vm5hm8ztrg92ysanj5bu48cprz9x

Your feedback was very good, helped achieve a better mix for sure! :tu:

-fixed low-end... now tighter and less pronounced.
-fixed drums... overall brought to the front, tamed cymbals in the high-mids, corrected the tone to highlight the mids for more character and fixed stereo image. Drums sound more opened and pleasant now and kick doesn't drown in the chorus now.
-fixed snare tone... snare a bit more 'wet' and well defined, blends well with the new drum sound too.
-fixed gtr solo at the end there, to be more present and a tiny bit louder.
-----------------
-fixed ac gtr 'rake' strums to be less dynamic and distracting especially in the highs..
-fixed vocal 'esses' some more, I felt they were still being a bit too distracting.
-fixed overall gtr levels to be slightly less and el gtrs' tone/image, by contrast vocal seems less crowded... , everything should seem less congested and more opened now.
-other small tweaks here and there, changes should be fairly subtle yet pretty noticeable once A/B-ing :)
davemcisaac

Post by davemcisaac »

I added hi & lo pass filters along with a deesser to the echo effect on the lead vox along with more automation. I hope they fit the mix better for you.

I added a parallel bus for the Kick & Snare along with bumping up the Room to give you more drums - along with some automation on the parallel bus. I also tamed some issues with the Toms. Everything feels like it fits better.

I added a parallel bus for the Bass to help lift it a bit.

I added dynamic eq on the droning sections of the E Guits to open space for everything else. That cleans up some of the muddiness.

I hope that fixed everything for you.

https://mega.nz/#!9HxmlYhb!DupVX0n0S_Xs ... ERU69wbnmY